Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I think we'll have some callback(s) to the rapist thing. I seem to remember the person in the photo actually has a credit on the show, so it's likely we'll see them in at least a future episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

linoleum floors posted:

rachel mcadams is way too waifish to play a convincing police officer, also theyve put too much makeup on her, and she dresses incorrectly. cops dont wear skinny jeans during raids.

i have to same complaint about colin farrel. he looks and dresses like colin farrel. not a drunk corrupt cop. a loving movie star

vince vaughan looks like a scared manchild throughout the entire episode. hes had too much botox

complaints about plot are dumb as hell for the first episode. it's a slow burning series. so is complaining about it being pulp detective ripoff.. did any of you even watch season 1? the direction and writing is the only thing holding it together. It seems off because the casting is terrible.

You are, with no exaggeration, the dumbest person I've ever seen post in this cesspit of a forum.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

sector_corrector posted:

You are, with no exaggeration, the dumbest person I've ever seen post in this cesspit of a forum.

Lol whatever, enjoy your Hollywood garbarge

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mexcillent posted:

I like it and liked the James Ellroy like trio of protagonists

If this is a James Ellroy novel McAdams would be doing beastality poo poo to her boyfriend.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

I think the show had a real hard time because they had to move to bring these disparate characters together in 60 minutes and tie them together for a mystery that will last the whole season, whereas season 1 starts with the knowledge that Cohle and Hart have over a decade of a background together and the interest is in what brought them to this point in the future.

Rocksicles posted:

a bit all over the place as far as the sound design goes, some of it was way too quiet.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Julio Cruz posted:

e: one thing I didn't like is that motorcycle cop just happened to pull out of his skid right where that important missing guy that everyone was after was just chilling out on his bench. Having made it clear exactly how much highway there is in the region, it just seems like a totally unbelievable coincidence.

I don't understand this complaint. Kitsch's character is in the show at all BECAUSE he's the one who finds the dead body. I mean, if Colin Farrell happened to drive off the road and find the dead body THAT would be a huge coincidence because he's actually looking for Caspere.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hey I thought it was a great first episode. Maybe not as convincingly in an alternate creepyworld but a lot of fun. Who cares about likable characters. The from-the-headlines corruptcity is a good place to be. It hit the True Detective notes without setting up for redundancy. First episode of the first season was like kind of interesting but this one was exciting. Faster pace for a faster state.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Andy Greenwald who admittedly hated season 1 says episode 2 is better than 1 and episode 3 is better than 2.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
God, the opening theme song is so terrible, especially when Lera Lynn has not one but two original songs which would be perfectly suitable for opening credits duty.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

blablablabla posted:

Andy Greenwald who admittedly hated season 1 says episode 2 is better than 1 and episode 3 is better than 2.

Someone who didnt like season 1 doesn't have very good opinions in the first place.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I got some truth for you, detective.

You are unbelievably, gay. Truth. Detective

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
So far I really like the vibe. It's super different than Season 1, so I can see how it might disappoint some people, but I like it. I can't put into words exactly what it was stylistically I liked, but I think as the season progresses the new style will stick out more, and I'll be able to appreciate it more. I felt the same way after the Season 1 premiere. It wasn't terribly exciting, but it introduced a lot the stylistic stuff that became more familiar as the season went on. I definitely remember feeling like I couldn't put my finger on why I liked the first episode of Season 1, just "something about it".

whatever7 posted:

Vince Vaughn is such poo poo actor. He can't even drink coffee convincingly.

That scene bothered me too. Every time he sipped on the coffee it looked so "acted", it completely pulled me out of the show.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I thought the theme was kind of perfect. The show was waaaaay weirder than I thought it would be. Leonard Cohen cryptically speak-singing over minimalistic rhodes piano seems way more appropriate than a maudlin folk thing.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I found vaughn to be pretty good as a threatening guy who is really close to cracking but still trying to keep up a nice demeanor. him smashing the glass was kind of too much though, i'd have preferred them to keep him stewing.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The credits song is bad.
The credits visual is beautiful.
100mph isn't really very fast.
Drunk colin ferrel is cool.
Pretty sure they cop turned down the blowy and ticketed that bird so she set him up.
Dad of the years threat owned.
I'm intrigued to see where it goes.

These are my thoughts on s2e1.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
161 kmh is loving fast...

Observe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzX9lRb8xYk

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 23, 2015

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i love how a guy with a flash avatar is lecturing some fool on speed

100 is fast, try doing it next time fuccboi and see u not get slammed into a toll booth wall

unless he meant that like, it didnt seem fast in the show because its a fake movie about fake people

cos drat that Paul Walker guy on the bike could skid control in such a short distance after dropping down from 100 to 0 no problem

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 23, 2015

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So we are going full on bohemian grove eh. Seems cool.

Also season 1 connection with the bird mask??

It all makes sense now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ramadu posted:

So we are going full on bohemian grove eh. Seems cool.

Also season 1 connection with the bird mask??

It all makes sense now.

I hope so!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Also no mention of Bohemian Grove is complete without the best quote about it: "The Bohemian Grove, which I attend from time to time--it is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine." — Richard Nixon

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

For all the talk of no cults being in this season I got a very strong cult feeling from that one episode.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

100 is fast, try doing it next time fuccboi and see u not get slammed into a toll booth wall

Okay

E: done

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 23, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Seriously, one of the main characters is named Antigone (according to Wikipedia, on the show she's referred to as Ani)

Rachel McAdams better be dead as poo poo in the last episode.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bape Culture posted:

Okay

E: done

wheres the toll booth???

not convinced at all

my face reaction is colin in this animated jiff ^

not impressed and tired

how come people havent talked about the upside down cross on the streetlight where Ray puts on his mask and shushes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

niethan posted:

I found vaughn to be pretty good as a threatening guy who is really close to cracking but still trying to keep up a nice demeanor. him smashing the glass was kind of too much though, i'd have preferred them to keep him stewing.

The moment the Russian handed him the glass, I knew it was getting smashed.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't understand this complaint. Kitsch's character is in the show at all BECAUSE he's the one who finds the dead body. I mean, if Colin Farrell happened to drive off the road and find the dead body THAT would be a huge coincidence because he's actually looking for Caspere.

This! It's not "contrived" it's just working backwards.

Also liked Vaughns inability to act because he's a criminal turned businessman, and he's not real sure about it. He's supposed to be uncomfortable in his skin.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Seriously, one of the main characters is named Antigone (according to Wikipedia, on the show she's referred to as Ani)

Rachel McAdams better be dead as poo poo in the last episode.
Hopefully not, she's one of the better ones.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I'm gonna rewatch this later tonight, I really liked it the first time and I think i will like it more the second.

was it explained and i missed it or am i overthinking but why are the power-players from some small, corrupt LA county town majorly involved in building the high-speed rail? this is a huge project that people in california have been fighting about for like the past decade.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'm hopeful.

Didn't feel quite as polished as the first season but there was a hell of a lot more plot and setting to go through there. Seems.... heavy. Was alright with ol' Vincent, giving him the benefit of the doubt that the character is awkward as hell while transitioning from leather jacket crook to clean cut businessman. If the whole show crawls up its own arse and becomes a train wreck, which I hope it doesn't, at least we'll get more Farrell being a massive drunken rear end in a top hat. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bunch of jackasses standing in a circle.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Codependent Poster posted:

Bunch of jackasses standing in a circle.

I loved the episode, but this really deserves to be the thread title.

I should also say I'm relieved (but not surprised) that this thread is already as lovely as I hoped it would eventually be.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 23, 2015

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I found it pretty compelling. Any flaws definitely not enough to turn me away. Honestly season 1 took a fair while to get going and seemed muddled and aimless at times so I'm happy to cop a bit of that.

It's obviously going to be marked more harshly given people have seen the entirety of season 1 and know there's pay-off for sticking with it as opposed to this season but I feel about the same as I did after s1e1, intrigued but not fiending for more.

I've found it hard to hate Farrell since In Bruges which helped a lot.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This is a good point, I was seeing them as two people who were already linked, rather than this being the incident that brings them together. I still feel it's slightly more likely that a random member of the public sees Caspere and calls it in, but eh, call it main character syndrome or something.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

opening song sounds like that '''too sexy for my cat'' guy

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

ravenkult posted:

opening song sounds like that '''too sexy for my cat'' guy

Oh my God.:aaaaa:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TOM HANKS posted:

Oh my God.:aaaaa:

Genius.

I'm too sexy singing a Tom Waits song

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm just loving dying laughing at anyone complaining about stiff acting, blunt characterizations and over the top grittyness.

Like, is this babby's first noir or something?

Anyways, my theory is that Vince Vaughn is the protagonist. He's the only character who had a 'code'. The rest of the characters were a bunch of drunken fuckups.

I'm trying to figure out the impotence thing because I'm pretty sure it will be a major theme. Just check out this establishing shot of the only confirmed non-impotent character:

Also, I don't think Vaughn had problems getting it up but maybe I missed a line?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'm just loving dying laughing at anyone complaining about stiff acting, blunt characterizations and over the top grittyness.

Like, is this babby's first noir or something?

Anyways, my theory is that Vince Vaughn is the protagonist. He's the only character who had a 'code'. The rest of the characters were a bunch of drunken fuckups.

I'm trying to figure out the impotence thing because I'm pretty sure it will be a major theme. Just check out this establishing shot of the only confirmed non-impotent character:

Also, I don't think Vaughn had problems getting it up but maybe I missed a line?

edit: never mind you said impotent.

Are you saying both characters in the shot are non-impotent.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 23, 2015

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

he said he and his wife are doing in vitro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How can anyone hate the theme song?

I actually liked Vince in this. And everyone else. Amazing start.

• Locked thread