Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

mormonpartyboat posted:

a good low cost, high calorie meal is to drink a bottle of maple syrup

is super troopers as good a film as i remember or was i just an idiot before i turned into the idiot i am now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

is super troopers as good a film as i remember or was i just an idiot before i turned into the idiot i am now

it's a pretty funny movie

not a cinematic masterpiece but nowadays the spoof/romp genre is universally lovely because even that low bar requires more creativity and risk taking than what is the norm nowadays, so something like Half Baked and Super Troopers basically instantly gets cult status because there's nothing else

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

it's a pretty funny movie

not a cinematic masterpiece but nowadays the spoof/romp genre is universally lovely because even that low bar requires more creativity and risk taking than what is the norm nowadays, so something like Half Baked and Super Troopers basically instantly gets cult status because there's nothing else

The genre spoof peaked with blazing saddles

Aged surprisingly well too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

The genre spoof peaked with blazing saddles

Aged surprisingly well too.

not only did it age well, but it keeps getting rehashed as the prime example of "movie that couldn't be made today because of THOSE SJWS" despite the fact that it's made at least a couple times a year, it's just hard to make a good crude parody movie

a proper example of this type for them to whine about would be Last Tango in Paris

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

not only did it age well, but it keeps getting rehashed as the prime example of "movie that couldn't be made today because of THOSE SJWS" despite the fact that it's made at least a couple times a year, it's just hard to make a good crude parody movie

a proper example of this type for them to whine about would be Last Tango in Paris

Whenever they bring up blazing saddles I pretty sure theyre talking about it using the n word. Also proves theyre the exact kind of moron the movie was mocking

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

crazy cloud posted:

yes

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I'm cooking some chicken biryani today!

I seared the chicken thighs in my cast-iron first then semi-caramelized some red, white, and yellow onions with some carrots and tomatoes thrown in (plus garlic and ginger, of course)
I just added the rice and nestled the chicken into the pan to finish cooking. Hopefully nothing fucks up!

update: nothing hosed up! It's delicious!

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Jan 5, 2019

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
IRON CHEF ENTRY: Not-Very-Authentic Hawaiian Teriyaki Noodles
INGREDIENTS:

(amount bought / portion used)
12oz Lite Spam 2.57 / 2 = 1.29
20oz soy sauce 4.22 / 8 = 0.53
6 cans pineapple juice: 2.68 / 3 = 0.89
brown sugar: whatever
2lbs carrots: 0.98 / 4 = 0.25
3lbs onion (8 in bag): 3.00 / 8 = 0.38
1lb angelhair pasta: 1.28 / 2 = 0.64
total = $3.98

THE DEETS:
Start with the most time-consuming part: the teriyaki sauce. Add 5 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 cans of pineapple juice to a saucepan. Note the height on the liquid in the pan. Boil on high and add a tablespoon of brown sugar after it starts boiling.
You won't see it thicken while the heat is on, which makes getting the right thickness tricky; turn off the heat when the height has reduced by about half. Next, throw some olive oil, onions and carrots into a larger pan and cook on medium heat. Heat up just a bit of oil in a cast-iron pan to medium heat to sear the Spam in.
Start boiling a pot of water for the pasta, as well. Open up yer Spam and cut 1/3 of it off. Put that 1/3rd back in the fridge and slice the other 2/3rds into ~1/2 inch thick slices. Toss these on the cast iron for 2 minutes per side.
After one minute, spoon some Teriyaki onto them and spread it around to each corner of the slice with your spoon. Whisper sweet nothings to your Spam as you do this. (My spam is a little under-seared because I was worried about burning it.)

Now your pot of water should be boiling. Add your pasta to the pot, and slice your Spam into small-ish cubes while the pasta cooks. Toss your Spam into the pan with your onions and carrots.
After the pasta's been cooking for about 4-5 minutes, drain and add to the pan. Drizzle the remaining Teriyaki sauce on top of the pasta and stir.

Let the noodles cook for another 2-3 minutes and you're done!

The result: a savory, meaty, crispy, chewy dish that'll easily fill up two people for $4.And with lite spam, it's almost not devestatingly unhealthy!

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
Today we're eating chicken and rice, an exotic grain from the far east!

It begins with chicken thighs, which are trimmed of excess fatty yuck and seared in the pan. Then you saute some chopped onion and bell pepper in there. Then 1.5 cups rice, saute a bit and add 3 cups of chicken stock and the saffron you steeped in white wine earlier. Put the chicken thighs back in and stick it in a 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

Here's the BOM showing the price per head is still easily below that of a big mac.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm going to make chicken tostadas that cost exactly $.69

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Tonight's dinner: Bacon Chive Mashed Potatoes topped with French Onion Mushroom Gravy & Gruyere!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

my instant pot came in the mail today and it just beeped saying my chili is ready (i didn't read the instructions and odn't know how to use it). hope it's good.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I have been thinking about my entry

I will cook it soon

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

chili was good and i ate 2lbs of it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

chili was good and i ate 2lbs of it

all things instant pot are good

gotta be careful with some veggies and most fish tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

instant pot hard boiled eggs are supreme

twoday
May 4, 2005

What eggs can you make with an instant pot besides seven hour eggs?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Duscat posted:

Today we're eating chicken and rice, an exotic grain from the far east!

It begins with chicken thighs, which are trimmed of excess fatty yuck and seared in the pan. Then you saute some chopped onion and bell pepper in there. Then 1.5 cups rice, saute a bit and add 3 cups of chicken stock and the saffron you steeped in white wine earlier. Put the chicken thighs back in and stick it in a 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

Here's the BOM showing the price per head is still easily below that of a big mac.

This looks excellent. Well done, sir. I also appreciate that everyone gets two thighs, one small thigh would leave many people a little wanting I would guess but if you'd wanted to kind of cheat you probably could have said that would feed 10.

But Big Mac's are $2.50. It's nationwide and it is technically a limited time offer but has been going on for like 5 months straight. It does not require a coupon.

Even if that were NOT the case, the regular price of a big mac is $3.99.

The regular price of a Big Mac MEAL is $5.99 which it's fine if that's what people want to use, but let's practice a little intellectual honesty and make sure we say big mac meal and not just big mac.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

This looks excellent. Well done, sir. I also appreciate that everyone gets two thighs, one small thigh would leave many people a little wanting I would guess but if you'd wanted to kind of cheat you probably could have said that would feed 10.

But Big Mac's are $2.50. It's nationwide and it is technically a limited time offer but has been going on for like 5 months straight. It does not require a coupon.

The regular price of a Big Mac MEAL is $5.99 which it's fine if that's what people want to use, but let's practice a little intellectual honesty and make sure we say big mac meal and not just big mac.

price of a single big mac, no deals used, in Austin is 4.69 which is the price I'm using.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

yea i wouldn't buy two big macs for $5

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

bird with big dick posted:

yikes

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Former DILF posted:

yea i wouldn't buy two big macs for $5

but you’d buy one for $4.69? preposterous.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i made like 5lbs of instant pot chicken breasts and shredded them yesterday. now im gonna scramble 4 eggs and put 4oz of that chicken in with them and that will be my gains breakfast for today. ill also drink a greens shake to ward off the scurvy

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I made my black fried rice the other day but I had company over so I didn't take any photos because "I need to make food cheaper than a big mac for a bunch of internet communists" is a bit of a weird line to drop.

This is a picture of the same recipe, made by me a long time ago:

Ingredients for one portion:
125g chicken fillet strips
1dl black rice
1 mid-sized onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 mid-sized carrots
Smallish piece of fresh ginger
Couple of fresh chilis, depending on how hot you like it
Small splash of fish sauce
Generous splash of oyster sauce
Bit of lime juice(about a quarter of a fresh lime's worth)
Black pepper
Jeera powder

You can also add lemongrass or spring onions or whatever really. Main point is that black rice, chicken, carrots and oyster sauce is a really nice combo.

Forgot to get a receipt but I'm pretty sure it comes to less than the local price for a big mac(€4,20) if you don't count the sauces. Those are about €3 each for a large bottle that will last you a long time.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Hmm, I hope I can make the deadline, not sure if I will have time for elaborate cooking this weekend. Maybe tomorrow.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://i.imgur.com/FBccDH6.mp4

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

man I hope the stores aren't loving insane today, forgot some ingredients

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

thank u for your contest entry

Also gently caress, big macs are actually 4.19 in Austin. My dish is still under that tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HERE IT COMES MOTHERFUCKERS

Too many of you are focusing on simplicity and modest quantities of high quality ingredients, so to contrast this I present to you:

EHF'S HOBO BACHELOR BUFFET

chef's note: the lentils and chicken i cooked in larger batches and portioned down for this recipe

It is, essentially, one big meal with three sides. The first, is the lentils:

I cook it with a bit of oil and a halved habanero, which I remove when it's done. Gives the lentils a bit of spice.

Into that goes the frozen veggies, in this case broccoli and peas, and 3/4 of the grilled onion. Mix it all up, and it's done, set it aside

Up next is what is colloquially referred to as "hot water cornbread." To make this I mix up 1.5 cups of cornmeal and a dash of salt+oil with boiling water until thick, and mix it up. Let it sit for awhile because the hot water does part of the cooking. I added the diced jalapenos and the remaining grilled onion. Mix it all up and spread it out on a pan, bake for ~40 minutes at 375. Near the end, add 2 oz of cheese:

The last part is the protein, in this case chicken thighs. Pretty simple, normally I'll slow cook them with salsa and shred in the container, but I was pressed for time so I pressure cooked them instead and shredded them in a mixing bowl:

But them all together aaaaaaaand:

THREE pounds of mothafuckin food, all home made and high quality. This actually ended up coming out to 4.22 instead of the 4.36 my big mac would cost, so I included 14 cents worth of grapes that I already had out and was snacking on while making my food.

The expenses:
1.00 - 8oz chicken
0.43 - hot water cornmeal (1.5 cups)
0.10 - jalapeno and habanero and oil
0.32 - lentils (1 cup dry)
1.00 - frozen veggies (1 bag worth)
0.50 - small onion (pan seared)
0.32 - 4oz salsa (any old garbage brand is fine)
0.55 - 2oz cheese (shredded mexican storebrand)
0.14 - handful o' grapes

TOTAL = $4.36

You can halve the cornmeal and end up with less food but more budget but I wanted the Hungry Man cadre to be represented. Alternately you can make cornbread hushpuppies by frying instead but I prefer flattening it out and baking.

And for those who are curious:

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Jan 12, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm gonna bodyslam you into a port-o-john for that horrific abomination you call corn bread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Peanut President posted:

I'm gonna bodyslam you into a port-o-john for that horrific abomination you call corn bread

that's why I qualified it as not really cornbread!

who's got time to wait for it to rise and poo poo, just gimme dat flatbread style cornbread

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
corn bread doesn't have yeast in it you loving jackass gently caress you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Peanut President posted:

corn bread doesn't have yeast in it you loving jackass gently caress you

wow next you'll say I'm supposed to use baking powder instead of my Drinkmate

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

that's why I qualified it as not really cornbread!

who's got time to wait for it to rise and poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

twoday
May 4, 2005

Where'd you get the nutrion calculator?

That recipe owns

Shocked that you included lentils tho

twoday
May 4, 2005

I am in favor of extending the deadline by the week btw

twoday
May 4, 2005

How thin was the cornbread?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
We could extend if enough people wanted to.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Doc Walrus posted:

thank u for your contest entry

buddy i dont think u want a contest entry

but i mgiht do one tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
please extend the deadline by three months the chalenge is exciting and i still hop to think of a dish that costs less than a big mac