Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Coaches Report: Winter 2029

I definitely expect a better second half of the year, but even so we're a long way from respectability.

Resources

- Glory: 72
- Money: 57,207
- Fans: 71

All of these are much better now. This includes the rest of the payment for Jossar from Rostock.

Barring something highly unusually, we will finally and permanently be down to only True Punchable Faces (tm) once Poestinger's contract expires at the end of the month.

No new skills have come in, but we have a few here that should arrive by the start of next year. As ever, if you want to change your player's training attribute, this is a good time for it.

We'll have upgrades for NiftyBottle and Insurrectionist soon.

Contract Extensions

We have plenty of money to get these done.

- 1 year for NiftyBottle at 4,571
- 3 years for Tevery Best at 3,588
- 1 year for Average Lettuce at 4,716

Unless there are objections to these, we will have 44,332 remaining afterwards.

Facilities & Personnel

These remain unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Suggested Proposals

This won't be nearly as involved for this transfer window, but there are a few aspects we want to begin considering.

We don't need to sell anyone this transfer period to pay for contracts, but that doesn't necessarily mean we don't want to. The main reason to consider this would be to pay for a club upgrade sooner rather than later. If you want to get a Training Grounds or Youth Academy upgrade now, your proposal will need to include some combination of changes in the default contract decisions and/or selling player(s) for the required Money. Now that we have more than the minimum squad size, it's a choice we could potentially make.

Stadium Upgrades

Our fanbase is high enough - 71 out of 100 capacity - that we could potentially reach our maximum soon if we do well enough. By default, I will be following a policy of upgrading when needed if there is enough Money in the account. That means if we have a home match next up and are above our capacity limit, the upgrade will be purchased. Any fans beyond our capacity cannot attend and we can't sell them tickets, limiting our income.

If you don't want to spend on a Stadium Upgrade - currently 22,500 to boost it to 500 capacity - make a proposal to that effect.

Playing Time

For the first time in club history, we have enough Punchable Faces that we can't play them all at once. With just one on the bench, fatigue will determine most of who sits. We'll have the possibility of taking out a tired player instead of leaving them out there with increased chance of injury. Do we want to focus on developing young/new players like BraveLittleToaster, or prioritize results and put our best feet forward, playing the best players we have, and only play the reserves in 'garbage time'?

Once we get a few more players this will be a lot more important and be more than an exercise in simply rotating out players due to fatigue. It's not too early to make a proposal on this either though, if you feel there's something specific that should be done.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Ballot: Winter 2029

Money

Any objections to the default contract extensions, proposals for selling players and/or purchasing club upgrades, or thoughts on the Stadium Upgrade policy are open to be made and discussed. There are no 'must-do' urgent action items this transfer window.

Glory

If we don't buy any upgrades, then we once again have the same choice. There is currently 72 Glory available.

- Request Keeper (9 Glory)
- Request Defender (9 Glory)
- Youth Rivalry (9 Glory)
- Save the Glory

Playing Time

Anyone wishing to put in their two cents on who should play and who should sit, this is the place for that. You can also ignore it completely and just focus on the other votes if you want.

Alright coaches of Backpfeifensichter, let's have it!

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 2, 2023

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

What do we need in order to have a winning season next year? Can we do that with the new kid in goal after half a season of experience? Are we going to be selling Insurrectionist or NiftyBottle in the middle of a competitive season due to skill + contract timing, or can we get around that if it's a close race?

No Sales or Upgrades yet.
Develop New Players because our year is pretty shot due to tanking so badly while Odd Wilson is out. Wins are good but we want to be in position for a good run next year whatever it takes.
Youth Rivalry regardless of other choices.

I propose we Stick With Our Roots: don't upgrade Stadium Size until we're in Third League. An Amateur League Ticket is €5 so even if we somehow averaged 150 fans all season and 50 couldn't get in (lol) we'd only be missing out on €1750 (league) + €1500 (R32 Prestige Cup) = €3250 euros a season without the expansion. Spiking past 100 briefly and then being stuck with a mostly-empty stadium sounds miserable. We gotta get out of this hellhole and every penny upfront helps.

Strategic Sage posted:

On the other hand, we're increasing looking for a keeper. Having passing instead of control is not great for that, but are we going to get a better option in time? Almost certainly not, unless we decide to just keep NiftyBottle longer, which is possible but expensive.

This is a good DM stat spread. But it seems pretty clear we want a Keeper who can get us out of Amateur League, and this guy will do it. Control would be nice but even if his skills stink we can just run him through Dedication, crank his Defence as high as we can, and stop getting picked apart by stupid Precision Shots. There are lots of other ways to score but we can counter those with skillful coaching and our deep and varied stable of defenders*, whereas potshots on goal will always be open until we have high Defence. Then we can sell NiftyBottle ASAP when he gets that third skill level to fund Youth Academy upgrades or payroll or whatever we need. We really want to be free of 0-star players.

That said the main purpose of this thread is punishing OP by forcing a random assortment of players on him so can't argue with doing whatever you want. That's the Punchable spirit.

Also, I (Pokeytax) would like to go back on the main list for developing a player (any position) instead of the in-name-only reserve list. I am now confident that I can ruin a good prospect as effectively as anyone.

* citation needed

Pokeytax fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2023

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I think Training Grounds makes more sense when we’re ready to compete for promotion. I don’t think Medical’s a good fit right now, unless both upgrades were into duration. 2/4% chances tend to not work in my saves.

I’d venture the following:
No spending until Stadium Cap is reached,
Youth Rivalry,
And develop BLT into a Keeper.
Sure, passing is a dump stat here, but a 1* has a capability to get to higher XP levels before starting to slow down. Means more chances to build up Def stats before they slow to a trickle. I’d bring BLT in for games against the top of the league teams since it’s more likely we’d lose those than draw or even win, and put Nifty in for the lower-end teams to keep his interest high enough to sell on if needed.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Oh, my player's finally up, I've been lurking on this LP so far, apologies. A new Punchable Face to join the fray! That hair is terrible.

I'll go for a different position than planned, though I'm a bit conflicted about it. It's a tough choice between the two

Base Class: Keeper
Training Attribute: Crank that Defense up.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Pokeytax posted:

What do we need in order to have a winning season next year? Can we do that with the new kid in goal after half a season of experience? Are we going to be selling Insurrectionist or NiftyBottle in the middle of a competitive season due to skill + contract timing, or can we get around that if it's a close race?

I don't know if you are asking me or your fellow coaches here.

- What we need for a winning season is ... just not something I can put a firm answer on. There's too many moving parts. How good are the clubs that relegate from third league, when do opposing players (esp. keepers) retire, what transfers do rival clubs bring in or sell, do they/us get injuries or suspensions at the wrong time, pure RNG at key moments in matches - roster isn't good enough to be able to say we can definitely overcome all of that. Luck will be a significant factor still.

- A new keeper with half a season will be a liability. At best they'll be an amateur keeper (G) at the start of next year, and probably not that far unless we're just benching Nifty entirely which means torpedoing his transfer value. If we're talking comparisons with Nifty Bottle it's going to be a few years before they are that good.

- We'll need to sell at least one player next year. That's just a cost vs. benefit situation - we can hang on to whatever key players longer if we want, but we will have to pay a price somewhere else on the roster to do it. That's esp. true if they are already at 3 skill levels - you really want to make that choice before they hit that, it's prohibitively expensive to extend them after they reach it until you're in a much better place financially than we are. If we want to have the flexibility to hang on to, for current examples, Average Lettuce or Nifty Bottle longer, then we need to sign them to longer extensions now. Same for Insurrectionist when his contract comes up at the start of next year. It's going to be prohibitively expensive for our financial situation to extend them after they get those third skill levels. We can hang onto them for an extra transfer window and just sell them in the last one before the contract expires, but again that has a sizable penalty with lower sale price. The smart choice is to make a call now and stick to it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

My complete, well-thought out, detailed plan is this:
BraveLittleKeeper will become a Keeper.
Dont upgrade the stadium until it is regularly full.
Sell NiftyBottle when it makes financial sense (when he gets more skills and is worth more?)
Upgrade the Youth Academy with the money from that sale.
After upgrading, buy the coaches.
Continue using Youth Rivalry.
Prioritise players with the most potential.

I am sure you can make this work ;)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

These are the prices for those longer contracts. By taking the 1-year deals here, we are saying 'we will sell these guys next winter at the latest'. If we want to spread that out and not lose as many players, that's also an option.

Of course, there will come a time when we'll want to consider keeping players with fully-developed skills because of their value to the roster, and we'll be able to afford doing so if we judge it to be worth the money. That time is well into the future.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 2, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

DTurtle posted:

My complete, well-thought out, detailed plan is this:
Sell NiftyBottle when it makes financial sense (when he gets more skills and is worth more?)

I am sure you can make this work ;)

I endorse this plan.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
While it's a bit riskier I kinda feel like we should gamble a bit on the keeper. I'm pretty sure that at the moment our regens are likeliest to end up at 1*, although it's not guaranteed. We might want to train BraveLittleToaster as a DM and prioritize a goalkeeper in the next window, ensuring a better stat distribution and some training. It's not foolproof, but is likeliest to end up doing okay. while continuing to shore up our leaky defense.

Otherwise in agreement with DTurtle's plan.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

DTurtle posted:

From this this, selling NiftyBottle is a year off, which means that line and the next two about upgrading the YA and buying coaches are issues to revisit in future transfer windows (other than that I will take this as an endorsement of the 1-year deal for NiftyBottle).

In terms of 'regularly full' on the stadium - I think I know where you are coming from, the problem is just that things fluctuate. A stretch of good or bad form can change the number of fans in a hurry. Not that common really to just be 'holding steady' until we get much further along and have numbers well into the thousands. Just saying that I don't really know what to do with that instruction, because we could be at 150 or so, above 100 for several matches and keep rising - or be down to 50 in a month, and neither result would particularly surprise me. When the stadium gets bigger there's more margin to handle the swings, and the roster also tends to be more stable.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 3, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

I've been lurking on this LP so far, apologies. A new Punchable Face to join the fray! That hair is terrible.

No apology needed, lurking is fine. And yeah it's one of my least favorite haircuts. If you makes you feel any better about feeling conflicted, I think you made the right choice.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

From this this, selling NiftyBottle is a year off, which means that line and the next two about upgrading the YA and buying coaches are issues to revisit in future transfer windows (other than that I will take this as an endorsement of the 1-year deal for NiftyBottle).

In terms of 'regularly full' on the stadium - I think I know where you are coming from, the problem is just that things fluctuate. A stretch of good or bad form can change the number of fans in a hurry. Not that common really to just be 'holding steady' until we get much further along and have numbers well into the thousands. Just saying that I don't really know what to do with that instruction, because we could be at 150 or so, above 100 for several matches and keep rising - or be down to 50 in a month, and neither result would particularly surprise me. When the stadium gets bigger there's more margin to handle the swings, and the roster also tends to be more stable.
If it takes a year, then it will take a year. Also gives the new guy time to get some XP.

As for the stadium, basically don’t upgrade if we only hit a full stadium one single time, as that would then easily be a waste of time. The exact time would be something I left up to you. If you want a hard rule, maybe something like upgrade if it is full 3 out of 4 games.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Strategic Sage posted:

I don't know if you are asking me or your fellow coaches here.

I’m asking everybody. I know we are fellow coaches but in this context I feel we are the group at the local pub backseat driving and explaining how we definitely would have any squad that can beat Emden by two goals in first place, and you are hearing about it secondhand in the office next day from your boss and trying to keep your eyes from rolling out of your head.

It’s helpful to be reminded that we can’t afford to re-sign anybody who is worth selling. I was trying to puzzle out if NiftyBottle could squeeze in another skill level before sale if he went for -70% Training Time next, but then I checked just how long Level 3 Skills take to train. Still, it might let us sell him a few months earlier if he gets another game or two in goal first for the next SL?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Makes sense. We could sell him a window earlier if we do that, start of next year. In that case, a few things we might want to consider:

- Selling him earlier and not developing BraveLittleToaster as much means having a keeper as a liability longer, so next year probably starts bad.
- We have another 3-skill player in that window. ally_1986 will probably be waving bye-bye at that point, though we also have the option of re-signing him before that comes in. So from a 'selling him to get money' point of view, there is an alternative.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 3, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ooooh, can my punchable face be a goalie? Either defender or goalie, whichever comes up first I guess.

We should keep going on with youth rivalry. Let the kids fight

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

First will definitely be defender. We don't need many keepers on the squad and there's another person waiting for one just ahead of you on the list.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

There don't appear to be any significant differences of opinion on the plan of action. Contract extensions are done as indicated, Youth Rivalry continues, and we're basically writing off results for the rest of the year as being whatever it is while focusing on player development. To that end, BraveLittlToaster or as I think I'm going to call him for short, BLT, will start at keeper from now on. I'll rotate through sitting one of NiftyBottle, Average Lettuce, and ally_1986 each match due to them being our 0-star players. There's also Tevery Best, but we need him to get to CD as soon as possible.

2.4.29 Backpfeifengesichter (1-1-5, 7th) @ Wuppertal (6-0-1, 1st)

The keeper for both of our next two matches retired recently; Koblenz is one we've been waiting for a while to happen of course. FWIW, Wuppertal is taking the right approach. They have a new keeper-in-training, 1-star with an excellent attribute distribution. He should eventually be a good Amateur or serviceable Third-League guy.

It's a flurry of early goals. We miss first, down 2-1 midway through the opening half, and nothing of importance really happens afterwards. Average Lettuce is involved in a bunch of possession skirmishes, and holds his own. He'll sit for the second half, while NiftyBottle stupidly heads out to the left wing. He's just there as an obstacle for their wide midfielder.

After trading goals in the second half, the scrum resumes. Odd Wilson's slide tackling helps us get the better of it, and eventually we clear a lane for what I think is Dragongem's first goal - our other attackers were in the box so there were no interception chances, and even his limited shooting was a enough to beat a not-really-keeper. Unfortunately they had one more turn, and and once again they didn't miss. 4-3 loss.

23 fans leave, having had enough of our losing ways.

2.11.29 Backpfeifengeischter (1-1-6, 7th) @ Koblenz (3-0-5, 5th)

The Punchable Faces have waited long for this day. Theiner has retired as well! And that's not even all the bad news for Koblenz fans - they've replaced with someone who will never be a good keeper. They're relying on their CDs here in what I can only describe as checkers formation, so fine. ally can sit this game, Nifty will play as a nearly-useless defender on the right, and our midfield can cover theirs. Any chance we have at scoring will be via a counterattack up the left, the PMJ long pass idea into the box.

Insurrectionist makes the deflection, after they dribble through NiftyBottle with a shocking amount of difficulty, and our counter works to perfection. We could feint here, but why. That might fail. This won't. Nifty actually took the ball from them on the next attempt, and they didn't threaten again in the half.

I bring on ally for NiftyBottle just because I can. After a whole bunch of battling on the flank, that whole side of their defense is out of position, and PMJ gets off a pass to Dragongem for a second score. Then PMJ, exhausted, is out for Poestinger so we don't get him hurt. I need to be more sparing with unnecessary subs.

So cathartic after all the trouble we've had scoring against them, for years. Insurrectionist gets an upgrade and I take the Glory Bonus - I'm making a run at the Fan Favourite tree. Maybe he can get a boost to his transfer price before the time comes.

2.18.29 Zwickau (2-4-3, 5th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (2-1-6, 7th)

Snowing here. They are midfield-heavy but I take out Average Lettuce anyway. We'll go with a positively stupid 7-1-2 formation, just trying to completely block them off if we can. GK Albertz is the best keeper left in the Amateur League by a wide margin; the only way we're scoring on him is on a feint or a corner cross ... and in the snow that's even harder.

They took it slow early, then this happened. The finish after out-feinting, in the snow, both megane and Insurrectionist. All I can do is applaud really, if you're good enough to do that you deserve to score. They tried it again, but megane shut it down. A conventional angled shot at the start of the second half ensured we wouldn't catch them though, and even a late power shot to try and get us a corner was kept in play. Zwickau handles us pretty convincingly, 2-0. As the only midfielder, Odd Wilson did some good work and is named Man of the Match on our side.

2.25.29 Oberhausen (0-3-7, 8th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (2-1-7, 7th)

A couple of good plays at the start; ally scores on a fairly low-odds chance to begin the match, then Insurrectionist makes a stop on the other end.

It takes a while to set up a counter; their defense was annoying and we couldn't get a long pass through. Even going all the way up the sideline, the pass here is still slightly odds-against. It doesn't get through, but ShadowedFlame is able to take it back, feint one defender, and narrowly get a shot past Ebner for a second score. Most of the half was basically spent on that one push, they could never do anything with the ball even when they took it back.

NiftyBottle comes on for a tired PMJ at the half. Later, Dragongem observes they have no CDs on this side. He just dribbles it around the defense, and draws a foul. They had plenty of mobile defenders to intercept any shot. ally misses the ensuing shot badly, but it was still an interesting play. The 2-0 score holds up, and ShadowedFlame collects another MoM honor.

One out and one in for our competitors. For Backpfeifengesichter though, it is a historic day; Poestinger leaves with his contract expiring, the last of our temps. It should be all True Punchable Faces from here on out; an era has come to an end.

3.4.29 Backpfeifengesichter (3-1-7, 7th) @ Saarbrucken (6-2-3, 3rd)

This had all the makings of a true goal-fest, but after we traded scores on the initial turns, Insurrectionist made a stop and then another one after the quickly got it back due to good slide-tackle coverage. A max roll on their end stopped us from breaking the 1-all deadlock at the start of the second half, and of all people Tevery Best intercepted their shot at the other end. I had my doubts, but it was time to try to counter with PMJ up the left side. It worked only as a delayed tactic, and a missed tackle by Odd Wilson left us open for them to bang through a deciding goal at the end. Two matches with these guys, two 2-1 losses that we quite possibly shouldn't have lost. This one hurts, I think a draw is the minimum we should have gotten. It's both my fault and bad luck.

3.11.29 Backpfeifengesichter (3-1-8, 7th) @ Emden (6-3-3, 4th)

They've got a pretty aggressive setup, so I go back to the 7-1-2 with Average Lettuce sitting. OW gets an 8 vs. 5 slide tackle, rolls a 1, they long pass through our line and score. What is up with Wilson? He just seems to be in a funk the last couple of matches. Snap out of it, buddy. He had some good work later in the half to get ShadowedFlame a couple of scoring chances, but they were both stopped.

Average Lettuce comes back in for OW to prevent fatigue from mounting. We finally get a goal to start the second half, then they come right back down and shoot it through to re-take the lead. A scary moment late with PMJ getting hurt, but it's only for the rest of the day. ShadowedFlame goes on a feint-a-thon through their defense, then despite being tired manages to put the equalizer past their keeper on our last turn to tie it again!

Insurrectionist got us a stop at the end to preserve a draw. This was quite an exciting match, and a result we really needed after the last one.

3.18.29 Rostock (8-2-3, 1st) @ Backpfeifengesichter (3-2-8, 7th)

The promotion clubs have been determined going into the last match, but they are all within a point of each other. We'll try to replicate our upset from earlier in the year, and play spoiler to keep Rostock from winning the league.

This silly formation is brought to you by the fact that I don't see a good way to score other than countering. Even though we're home, I'm sitting ShadowedFlame for the first half since he's tired. If we can keep it even, I'll try to bring him on and sneak a goal late.

Early in the first half. This is commitment to your defensive formation. The ball bounced to this location after a power shot from Dragongem. The guy with it is FW Gobels. He spent their whole turn running back here to get it, instead of moving someone closer to the ball.

What.is.that?

Soon afterwards, Odd Wilson redeems himself by winning a must-have 6 vs. 6 slide tackle in our half. They probably score if he doesn't make the play; as is we make it through the half unscathed. I stick to the plan. ShadowedFlame is on. Insurrectionist stops an unimpressive strike. We swing it to PMJ as usual, who was purposefully kept inactive in the first half so he'd be fresher. We can't get past mid-field with it. Their L2 slide tackle winger, even when worn out, still keeps taking it back from us. They never threaten seriously again either though.

A 0-0 draw with a green-shirt keeper against the Amateur League's best on the final day? Yeah, we'll take that. Odd Wilson takes the honors as our top performer, looking like he's figured things out. And BLT is no longer a complete disaster; he's just become an Amateur Goalkeeper.

Due to the fact that we played spoiler successfully, Wuppertal becomes the first club to win the Amateur League twice. That's a dubious honor of course, since nobody wants to come back here after they've won it once - and I think they will be back again in a couple of years.

I know some club supporters and even coaches will be upset about finishing 7th again, but I think this glass is decidedly half-full. We are two points worse than a year ago, but goal differential is +6 compared to last seasons 14 scored and 24 conceded. We tied for the 3rd in goals allowed despite playing with a green-shirt keeper for half of the year, having our top midfielder injured for half of it, and selling a good defender in Jossar. 10 scored and 10 conceded in the second half of the year, an even score. Bit by bit, the offense is getting more diverse, and the defense more sound, and of course having some key players on other clubs retire helps a lot also. Depending on what we choose to do this off-season, which will be crucial, a major jump upwards could be very close at hand indeed.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

BraveLittlToaster, your advanced class is already known; full Goalkeeper (GK). What skill to train first must be chosen though. You have the classic three choices here, each countering a specific way of scoring. We have a good amount of Reaction either ready or in the works on the defensive line, and one CD with another coming soon to tackle any who try to get too close. This doesn't make us invulnerable to Rainbow Feint, but there is significant resistance to those kinds of players already in the line. We have yet to yield a goal to Cannon Shot, countered by Strong Goalkeeper. We will encounter some for sure, and might not always have a good sweeper like Insurrectionist, but so far it's the least dangerous threat. Playing Out is the quickest to get going and also IMO counters the most dangerous threat; crosses. Esp. with the low control you are dealing with. Each level of that effectively adds 24 to your control rating - you'll never be able to stop a highly trained CF on headers, but a couple levels of it would make it difficult for just anybody to score on crosses - and our high defensive line doesn't have anybody with Head Play to help you out there.

All of the skills are useful, but given what else we have on the roster I recommend Playing Out first. Reaction would be my second choice.

BraveLittlToaster, choose what skill to take first - you'll have the opportunity to add a second one later. You're on the clock now.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Picking Playing Out for my guy, that's a reasonable first skill to train.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Well aren't you quick on the draw. Tomorrow all the off-season posting will happen; I highly recommend all interested coaches take time to go through it this weekend if you can. The club has reached a crucial transition point, and there is much to be decided.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Happy to see my dude putting in work to keep us having a chance in some of these matches. He's always so fatigued, the guy needs to work on his diet or meditation or something- he hasn't got time to be tired if we're ever making it out of this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BraveLittlToaster's hairstyle kinda makes him look like a toaster.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Strategic Sage posted:

23 fans leave, having had enough of our losing ways.

I deeply appreciate how Backpfeifengesichter Nation is so deranged that this is the final straw for a third of our fans: losing 4-3 to the best team in the division. Can only assume that NiftyBottle, with his one level in Fan Favorite, is incredibly attractive by the standards of the FTG universe and the heartthrob all these people were watching for.

Pokeytax fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 5, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Is calling these guys the Douchebag Dozen too rude? For the moment, there are two of them in that dumb keeper outfit.

Odd Wilson has completed Long Pass L1 training. He begins Slide Tackle L2, which will take a mere 3 years and 8 months if it isn't sped up.

We've broken our streak of ineptitude here; Insurrectionist is named to the Amateur League Best XI.

Pretty nice haul, fellas, esp. under the cirumstances.

I briefly consider Electrohouse due to the match payout, but I think we'll do better with the goals + victory combo from Entropy. Our string of picking the crap sponsor continues.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

No class, indeed. The other player was a 0*, so what we have is a guy with some potential but who will never be that impressive. He's basically a blank slate; can be decent at anything, but that also means he won't be great anywhere. Fat Samurai, this is for you. A midfielder was requested, and that's certainly an option. I hesitate to make a recommendation here really given that anything is viable - I do think midfield depth is important esp. since we'll likely be selling players in that area this year.

Base Class - Forward, Midfield, or Defense

Attribute Focus - Accuracy, Passing, Defense, or Control

Fat Samurai, you are on the clock.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Report, Summer 2029

Year Eight is upon us.

Resources

- Glory: 95
- Money: 49,260
- Fans: 45

Lost a decent portion of our fans a little after mid-season, but we've stabilized the situation. Glory continues to grow, and we have a sizable amount of Money to throw at retaining players.

Amateur League Overview

Koblenz has joined Oberhausen and our club in the ranks of half-star drek. Meanwhile we got the worst possible draw for the Prestige Cup qualifying round; it'll be Emden again. Burghausen has been on a yo-yo for the better part of a decade, and once again failed to stay up in the Third League. Erfurt was here three years ago - this is just their second season in the Amateurs so definitely a disappointment for them. And we know Potsdam well also. They have an impressive record in the Third League of three dead-last finishes in as many tries.

Burghausen - 9 stars, 14 skills, 15.0 ave. level
Erfurt - 10*, 10 skills, 15.3 ave.
Potsdam - 3*, 10 skills, 13.4 ave.
Zwickau - 11*, 21 skills, 16.9 ave.
Emden - 7*, 11 skills, 11.7 ave.
Koblenz - 9*, 12 skills, 11.1 ave.
Backpfeifengesichter - 13*, 13 skills, 11.9 ave.
Oberhausen - 2*, 6 skills, 6.5 ave

All I have to say about Potsdam's roster quality is wow. Nobody with a level 2 skill and almost all 0*, none better than 1*. The amazing thing isn't that they've been relegated from the Third League twice in the past three years, but that they managed to get there at all.

As of this moment we are objectively a club that should challenge for mid-table at worst. The smart bet is probably to say Burghausen and Erfurt go back up, and Zwickau snags that third promotion spot, but nobody else is better than we are - based soley on these metrics.

Squad

The total roster value is now approaching a million; 931k. Odd Wilson is back to High interest and his value spiked by about 40k when he got that second skill.

We'll get a few more skills in before the Winter Break.

It'll be a busy first half of the season for upgrades, probably half the roster. Particularly important will be Tevery Best getting to CD, Dragongem completing LF, and of course continued progress on BLT if he remains the starter.

Contracts

Five contracts are up. Two will hit that third skill level in the next year, and we don't have the cash to make even 1-year extensions across the board. Decisions will need to be made.

Facilities & Personnel

Youth Academy Giftedness *:

- Current: 40% 0%, 56% 1*, 3.5% 2*, 0.5% 3*
- Next Upgrade: 12% 0%, 80% 1*, 6% 2*, 2% 3*

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Promotion: What Is it Good For?

In my opinion, this is the first season in which we may realistically aim for promoting. It's worth reviewing what that would mean for the club. Compared to the Amateur League, the Third League will offer:

- Considerably harder competition. Regardless of when we promote, we expect to be kicked in the teeth initially when it happens.
- 24 matches minimum including the Prestige Cup, compared to 16 in the Amateur League; 50% more.
- Increased sponsor payouts
- Increased Glory rewards
- Ticket prices are doubled per fan
- Attribute experience from matches is also doubled

These differences are proportionally much greater between the Amateur and Third League than any other jump we will make in the future. That means it doesn't pay to be as cautious at this point. A successful Amateur League club will probably still get a little more attribute experience than an absolutely terrible Third League club, but specialization experience is purely on a per-match/action basis so overall players are still going to improve faster at the Third League, no matter what. We'll also make a little more money at the Third League, though we will still be heavily reliant on player sales. If we can promote without damaging the future of the club too much to make it happen, it's worth doing even if we get sent back down right away; we'd likely be able to just bounce back stronger the next time.

That's a big if though. The question is, what is it worth sacrificing to make that promotion happen sooner rather than later? Is this the time? Is our roster ready? These are primary questions for you as coaches to weigh this off-season.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Suggested Proposals

Two players are at that vital 'time to decide' moment where they will reach their third skill level: ally_1986 and Insurrectionist. ally is a particularly useful case; we have both the option to extend in this window but also to wait and sell him in a month when he gets Nutmeg L3. I figured people would ask about the price; it's somewhat lower than I previously estimated due to accumulated aging penalties, but a quick test-sim to that point had him come out at 215k. His value will be close to that, but as always we may or may not be able to get a better offer.

The particularly observant among you have probably also realized that if we always keep players just long enough to reach their third skill level, we'll have a hard time building a reasonable bench because we'll just be constantly turning the roster over and selling players in their early-mid 20s. At some point we'll want to start giving some of them a longer extension, probably the 3-year one, when they are about to hit that third skill. This buys us a couple more years with them without paying an exorbitant amount to extend them after the skill comes in. Which players to do this with, and when to start doing it, is a critical decision point.

With that in mind, some possibilities and please do propose your own if you don't like these.

- Promotion and/or Bust; Complete commitment to cracking the Amateur League Top 3 and promoting this season by any means necessary. Under this approach we'd play the best players each match, using the reserves only in garbage-time or in cases of fatigue management. Re-sign everyone except for Odd Wilson; we'll punt on his contract until after the Winter Break since we don't have enough to re-sign everyone.

Then we'd revisit the situation after the break. If still on course for promotion we can possibly get enough money by the deadline to get a 1-year emergency deal for Odd Wilson while punting on the other contracts to come up then, keeping the roster fully intact until we reach the Third League next year.

At that point we will have a mess on our hands to sort out in terms of who goes and who stays. This proposal has a considerable financial cost in increased contract fees and/or reduced sale prices, esp. if we roll the dice and don't make it; that would be pretty disastrous. Is it worth it if we do make it, and what chances do we have? Tough to answer, but we would have the option of 'bailing out' mid-season at relatively minimal cost - only some money lost on Odd Wilson's extension - if the attempt isn't going well.

Wait A Year or Two - Aim for promotion not this season, but next or in the worst case, the one after. That way we have a fully-trained defense and keeper up, and Dragongem ready to attack from the wings at the start of the year.

Lots of moving parts as always, but selling ally as soon as he hits that third skill and using that money to give Insurrectionist a longer extension is probably the play. By next year ShadowedFlame should be at least as good as ally for the long-range shots, so there'd be very little reason to keep him around - use that spot in the lineup for development. We keep playing BLT in goal and get a Youth Academy and/or Training Grouds boost when we can, sell Nifty and Average in the second half of the year as planned and pour a reasonable amount of the proceeds into upgrades to boost squad improvement at that time.

Build For the Future - Take it slow, and let promotion come to us when it comes. We have a respectable Youth Academy for the Amateur League, but it needs another upgrade to reach even borderline Third League standard. That's a lot better than the situation at the Training Grounds and Medical Centre, neither of which even exist. Youth training is ok with the academy, but once our players become veterans of 21+ years old, which is the majority of the squad, they don't get attribute experience as well as even a typical Amateur League club because we have zero position coaches.

This choice involves closing the infrastructure gap before we promote, and selling players as soon as they reach that third skill level to give us the needed cash. We'll sell ally when he gets there in about a month, using the proceeds to get a Youth Academy upgrade and a 2-3 year extension, depending on the sale price we get, for Insurrectionist so we can keep him around longer. A slightly tweaked version of this would be to give Insurrectionist the 3 years, and wait a window on the Academy upgrade if we have to. We keep playing the younger players as a priority to develop the roster, and live with whatever results come our way.

Looking forward, we will plan on selling Average Lettuce and NiftyBottle in the winter, then using those funds to get other upgrades, begin hiring additional staff with the Glory we have, and then try to increase roster depth to support a club that can promote with more 'staying power' behind it. We'll wait for it to come to us when the roster is strong enough.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 5, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Ballot, Summer 2029

Promotion and/or Bust, Wait a Year or Two, Build for the Future, or Propose Your Own Alternative.

Glory

95 Glory Available

- Request Keeper (9 Glory)
- Request Defender (9 Glory)
- Youth Rivalry (9 Glory)
- Save the Glory

If we do an Academy upgrade, that increases the price as we've talked about - but we can still buy one of these at the cheaper price and then upgrade. A bit gamey, but do we care? No, not particularly.

How about it, coaches? You are now all on the clock. Through Tuesday or clear consensus, whichever comes first.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Sage, when you did your test sim, did you happen to get a rough idea of how much my namesake’s contract would cost for a 1 year deal? It’d be the winter window that an extension could first be done and if we’re looking to sell ally and keep me around, I’d want to know about what it’d cost. Especially given that a month after my current contract ends, I’d get Rainbow up to Lv 2 and thus jump up the selling price quite a bit for a future window.

Right now I’m leaning towards Wait a Year, give the defense time to solidify, and then go at it but I haven’t fully decided on that course yet.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I don't really know, because by the time I had 3-star players I was further along and they were getting more levels in before they reached that point. I still play that save off and on as I want to finish it (right now they're consolidating a First League position and just got their first 5-star player in - flex), so I will guess 30k. Could be more, could be less, but I've been doing 1-year extensions on considerably better 3-stars for 45kish. Take that estimate with a heaping tablespoon of salt, not just a grain.

I look at this kind of thing as something we'll firm up estimates on as we go through this, just kind of 'learning on the job'.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Strategic Sage posted:

I don't really know, because by the time I had 3-star players I was further along and they were getting more levels in before they reached that point. I still play that save off and on as I want to finish it (right now they're consolidating a First League position and just got their first 5-star player in - flex), so I will guess 30k. Could be more, could be less, but I've been doing 1-year extensions on considerably better 3-stars for 45kish. Take that estimate with a heaping tablespoon of salt, not just a grain.

I look at this kind of thing as something we'll firm up estimates on as we go through this, just kind of 'learning on the job'.

Fair. I’ve never had a 3* guy, only a 2* defender I held for a season and then sold for 150K on a “too good to pass up” deal. I have not really toyed with the upper leagues either so I have no experience in those waters.

That’ll officially put me in the Wait a Year and Build camp. I’m not sold we can do it this season. We get a defense together and shore up our weak point, we should manage it then. Then again I normally play as the GM and not a sideline coach in this game so if you trust Sage’s strategy acumen, maybe being more aggressive is the plan but do keep in mind what the downsides to the approach are.

Edit: Also might as well game the system for a cheaper Youth Rivalry before the expansions hit too.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Wait a year and youth rivalry, I agree. I feel getting BLT to keeper is particularly important, and it sounds like going for it would stick my guy in goal more, as the one who is better right now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like wait a year or two and youth rivalry

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I think that just as well as abandoning the push mid-season if it doesn't work out, we can also switch over to push mode if we have unexpectedly good results on another plan.

Wait a year or two, but keep your eyes open.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tevery Best posted:

I think that just as well as abandoning the push mid-season if it doesn't work out, we can also switch over to push mode if we have unexpectedly good results on another plan.

Wait a year or two, but keep your eyes open.

This is a good idea

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Wait a year or two... but keep our eyes open if a really big opportunity shows itself

We can bear the struggle of the amateur league for a bit longer if it gets us a more solid chance at the promotion.

It's unfortunate my dude's punchable face is always so pivotal to our finances. I like to imagine he's fully dedicated to the cause of getting his hometown team to the big leagues, ascetically unconvinced by what other clubs are willing to pay for him and the renewal costs are just to cover his frequent medical bills and addiction to Punchables brand packaged lunch meals.

Alas. Here's to hoping the new skill will have him pull that weight we need.

If not, there's always Odder Wilson, and perhaps even eventually, Oddest Wilson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Take the youth rivalry but I am all in on build for the future because i like sickos football and wish to stay in the amateur league for a while