Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

fartknocker posted:

Is the Marvelous Goons one still the go to for that?

Also, as someone who almost never uses discord, how easy/difficult it is for getting a squad going for people across the multiple platforms?

EDIT: Asking this as someone who plays on Xbox, FWIW.

marvelous seems to be the best bet. Im still not sure on how the cross-platform works with the consoles, but its been pretty painless playing with ppl on Steam Epic and Origin

*edit* according to this, playing with console peeps should be the same process as we were doing with everything else so it should work, but I haven't tested it.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

uXs posted:

You never balance shields? Because that's the same button.

WirelessPillow posted:

Balancing shield is x on my controller standard layout?

Fiddling with shields is on X for me. And honestly, again I'm not overly worried about balancing them as long as I have at least a standard charge both forward and back.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Alkydere posted:

Fiddling with shields is on X for me. And honestly, again I'm not overly worried about balancing them as long as I have at least a standard charge both forward and back.

Just convenient to double tap x to equalize if the guy shooting you gives you breathing room

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I have more games than I'll ever play but I also have an underused Rift and HOTAS and used to like star wars. Should I buy this game?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Some Goon posted:

I have more games than I'll ever play but I also have an underused Rift and HOTAS and used to like star wars. Should I buy this game?

Yes.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Some Goon posted:

gently caress yeah this game is what I was dreaming of when I got my Vive and my HOTAS.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

marvelous seems to be the best bet. Im still not sure on how the cross-platform works with the consoles, but its been pretty painless playing with ppl on Steam Epic and Origin

*edit* according to this, playing with console peeps should be the same process as we were doing with everything else so it should work, but I haven't tested it.

thanks to fartknocker, can confirm that crossplay between PC and consoles is pretty painless so even more reason for goons to SQUAD UP

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

thanks to fartknocker, can confirm that crossplay between PC and consoles is pretty painless so even more reason for goons to SQUAD UP

Yeah, thanks to Scoots, I think I had one of my best games on dogfight in a while.

That said, add me firmly to the camp of fleet battles being utterly broken if you run into a team that knows that exploit about hanging back. Just before we tested out the crossplay, I got stuck on the wrong end of a team of 4 out of 5 New Republic players who sat back farming on Zavian Abyss, with two of them having 30+ AI kills and another was getting close to it while they let the Nebulon-B's do all the work before I bailed on the match. I really like the idea of fleet battles, and it seems like most of the elements are there, but that broken aspect of it can utterly make it loving awful. Thankfully, dog fights remain fun as hell.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've been sleeping on the Goliath missiles for the bombers way too long. They're super versatile. They're quick enough to be decently useful against players, and do enough damage to also put a dent into capital ships. The blast radius is so huge that you can take out a whole bunch of turrets or an entire squad of AI fighters in one shot. You can pretty much neuter a de-shielded corvette/raider in just one hit. And you even get a solid supply of them on top of it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Perestroika posted:

I've been sleeping on the Goliath missiles for the bombers way too long. They're super versatile. They're quick enough to be decently useful against players, and do enough damage to also put a dent into capital ships. The blast radius is so huge that you can take out a whole bunch of turrets or an entire squad of AI fighters in one shot. You can pretty much neuter a de-shielded corvette/raider in just one hit. And you even get a solid supply of them on top of it.

Thanks for this. I just unlocked these and haven’t tried them out yet.

Sucks how slow the proton torpedoes are. I think sometimes I would accidentally shoot them myself before they arrived at the target i locked onto, if that’s a thing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I gave up on proton torps for the Goliath a bit ago and they're fantastic. Combined with the multi-missile you can put a pretty good dent on turrets in one pass, assuming you can survive long enough for all the locks. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect a Goliath can also take down multiple AI fighters in close formation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I never played Yavin before, loaded in for the first time grouped with 4 other goons. Immediately my game crashed. After loading the game back up it had a scare message but no way to rejoin, so I clicked to the friend's list and hit spectate. Once loaded in to spectate I got the option to spawn. Every time I died the game crashed. Only once did the main menu give me a prompt to rejoin. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people dropping are game crashes or accidental launch of match making because where the gently caress is button 8 to cancel match making?

I've got at least one friend who also experienced crashing every time he got killed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, I gave up on proton torps for the Goliath a bit ago and they're fantastic. Combined with the multi-missile you can put a pretty good dent on turrets in one pass, assuming you can survive long enough for all the locks. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect a Goliath can also take down multiple AI fighters in close formation.

Yeah, they absolutely can. If you're lucky to get a full formation flying about, a single missile will take down all four.

Also, is it just me, or is ranking in this game kinda dumb? During my placement matches, very nearly every match had a leaver, and the game would say "this match will not affect MMR" (but it still somehow managed to place me, which seems weird). Then the first match after the placements I got into a match that already started as a 4 vs 5 and had two more on our team leave as it went on. The game just said "A player has left, this match will still be scored" and promptly downranked me after our inevitable loss. :suicide:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've got at least one friend who also experienced crashing every time he got killed.

Realism mode

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Thanks for this. I just unlocked these and haven’t tried them out yet.

Sucks how slow the proton torpedoes are. I think sometimes I would accidentally shoot them myself before they arrived at the target i locked onto, if that’s a thing.

if you're gonna use torpedoes (theyre a ton of damage when they land) i recommend basically dive bombing the target and releasing closer to 500m. less chance of chaff or the seeker missiles nabbing it that way too.

i then boost tf away (proton bombs are a good accompaniment here you can just drop them all real fast after you launch the torp) and try to line up another shot

as always, i remind people that x-wings and ties can also carry 2 proton torpedoes and that getting 2 torpedoes off before dying in fleet is harder than it sounds- and you can rearm.

i have a x/tie build with proton torps and conc missiles for raidervette city and the ensuing dog fight

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Was showing some friends the ropes who just got the game with some AI fleet battles, and we kept getting funky matchmaking bugs. Things like the AI squad not existing or in one case we got put into a 9v1 of all human players. Poor guy now knows how the AI feels in a comp stomp.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

if you're gonna use torpedoes (theyre a ton of damage when they land) i recommend basically dive bombing the target and releasing closer to 500m. less chance of chaff or the seeker missiles nabbing it that way too.

i then boost tf away (proton bombs are a good accompaniment here you can just drop them all real fast after you launch the torp) and try to line up another shot

as always, i remind people that x-wings and ties can also carry 2 proton torpedoes and that getting 2 torpedoes off before dying in fleet is harder than it sounds- and you can rearm.

i have a x/tie build with proton torps and conc missiles for raidervette city and the ensuing dog fight

Part of the AI farm strat that was used against us in a fleet battle involved a tie fighter with a stealth hull lobbing what I thought were torps from outside of sensor range. I was curious and checked in the practice mode. Turns out he was just using normal missiles, which can actually outrange torpedoes when dumbfired.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Symetrique posted:

Part of the AI farm strat that was used against us in a fleet battle involved a tie fighter with a stealth hull lobbing what I thought were torps from outside of sensor range. I was curious and checked in the practice mode. Turns out he was just using normal missiles, which can actually outrange torpedoes when dumbfired.

what a horribly tedious way to win a match :nallears:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Some Goon posted:

Yes, this is exactly the situation I was in and it has completely justified the money I dumped into this set up.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alkydere posted:

I dunno, I move shields around quite a lot. Mostly to the back when I'm running away from something, or balancing when I've been getting hit.

I mostly play interceptors and I avoid head to head situations as much as I can so front shields aren't that important except to catch the stray hit.

Trying to get into other ships but I can't really find anything I really like.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fuzz posted:

When is yours coming? My Gladiator NXT isn't coming for awhile yet, and now I'm getting brain worms and debating cancelling to instead get the MCG or KOSMOSIMA... because I'm a loving rear end. The issue is I may eventually do a HOSAS setup, but the Gladiator is right handed, which doesn't help me if I'm getting another, nicer stick as my right hand...

I ordered mine in the middle of their shipping holiday, maybe toward the end. They sent out an email saying it may take up to two weeks to fill the orders placed during that time because of the backlog it created. A couple hours later, I got a shipping notice and the tracking says the package has left the facility in Shenzhen.

I think that when VKB says they have stock on their website, they actually mean it, pretty awesome. From what I've heard on shipping times, there's an actual, real chance it'll be here by the weekend, which would be amazing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Man, I thought I was X-Wing 4 lyfe, but the A-Wing feels so good.

EDIT:
My new favorite NPC line

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 12, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

on PS4, I got an ultra rare trophy for this game at 0.6%.... it's win ten ranked fleet battles as empire

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

PunkBoy posted:

Man, I thought I was X-Wing 4 lyfe, but the A-Wing feels so good.

EDIT:
My new favorite NPC line

Stealing this for the Gonk thread.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

fartknocker posted:

Stealing this for the Gonk thread.

I must know this thread.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

PunkBoy posted:

I must know this thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911968&pagenumber=1

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Are there any good guides to setting up a Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS with this game? I used to use it for Elite Dangerous and I'd like to give it a try with Squadrons too. Up until now I've been flying with mouse + keyboard and the mouse acting as a virtual joystick is throwing off my aim and such, even after 25 hours of solid playtime

Edit: Googling turned up an PC Gamer article: https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-squadrons/settings-keybinds-60fps

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

PunkBoy posted:

I must know this thread.

GONK

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bad Munki posted:

I ordered mine in the middle of their shipping holiday, maybe toward the end. They sent out an email saying it may take up to two weeks to fill the orders placed during that time because of the backlog it created. A couple hours later, I got a shipping notice and the tracking says the package has left the facility in Shenzhen.

I think that when VKB says they have stock on their website, they actually mean it, pretty awesome. From what I've heard on shipping times, there's an actual, real chance it'll be here by the weekend, which would be amazing.

Ditto, I got my shipping notice, like, 4 hours after the holiday ended in China, and it'll be here tomorrow. I have the Gunfighter MCG, and I'm replacing the MCG with the KOSMOSIMA grip. Should fit my hand better.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Heck yeah, presidential hands kosmo krew represent.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

fartknocker posted:

I run a bomber with Goliath missiles and multi target missiles for both fleet battles and dog fights. If you can only fly with one other person, use this and a support ship with the targeting enhancer and resupply. both of your missiles lock on almost instantly and a Goliath will one shot an A wing. use the rotary cannon, reinforced hull, unstable engine.

in fleet battles t's tricky to blow up AI squadrons with the Goliath but trivial to do so with the multi target missiles. You do a lot less damage to capital ships compared to a beam cannon/big loving torpedo but the versatility is worth it IMO.
on defense blow up the enemy raider and then kill AI to go back on the attack after you annihilate any players who are bombing your big ships, don't go picking a fight with players anywhere near where their caps can shoot you.

on attack your multi lock missiles can often take out several turrets at once while your Goliath does nice hull damage. keep the amount of time the enemy cap ship can spend shooting at you as close to 0 as possible. lock on to a couple systems, fire both missiles, get behind something, if you took any hull damage go resupply. dying in this mode is really bad and with your 3500 hp you never have to do it. if you start losing attack morale because your dumb pubbies trade on attack, you can turn the tide single handedly by quickly taking out AI ships.

spend a lot of time with max engines. try to always be at least half and half if you're shooting at someone, often times people will fly in a straight line and overcharged lasers will immediately delete them, but not hitting your shots is the biggest dps loss of all, so don't be afraid to use engine power to make sure to keep your more nimble targets in line.

never ever ever get into slow/0 speed turny battles.

If I'm try harding or playing with friends I will switch to a better anti cap loadout when we're firmly on the attack--the beam cannon melts entire hull sections. i usually only bother with this if I'm the only person playing the cap ship game and my squad mates have morale well in hand. you can single handedly win the game with this build, but if your teammates are bad and feed morale then a lot of your time is going to be spent farming AI with multilock. let it get to 4 targets, mow down the 5th with your cannon, then open up on the middle of another squadron with your Goliath and you have swung things dramatically for your team.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
As an aside, teamwork remains OP. We went something like 30-8 in a dogfight yesterday, and that was one with one party member being a complete novice who scored zero kills. It was my first zero-deaths dogfight, yayyyyyyyy.

Man, this poo poo's fun.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

HonorableTB posted:

Are there any good guides to setting up a Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS with this game? I used to use it for Elite Dangerous and I'd like to give it a try with Squadrons too. Up until now I've been flying with mouse + keyboard and the mouse acting as a virtual joystick is throwing off my aim and such, even after 25 hours of solid playtime

Edit: Googling turned up an PC Gamer article: https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-squadrons/settings-keybinds-60fps

I don't know how many buttons that stick has, but here are the functions I'm using, from basic to more advanced:

* Basic flying: pitch & yaw, throttle, and roll
* Fire guns, left & right aux
* Countermeasures
* Basic targeting: ahead, 'my attacker', enemy squadron, all enemies (actually I may swap 'all' for something else, maybe objectives)
* Energy management: increase (and/or maximise) engines, weapons, and shields (or balance them)
* Shield management for shielded craft (forward, back, balanced), and power management for unshielded (weapons, engines, balanced)
* Ping & acknowledge
* Advanced targeting: objectives, subsystems, missiles, my squad, and allies
* Boost & Drift
* Push To Talk
* Comms wheel (I'm going to try and start using this more when there's no voice)
* Quick Look and/or Free Look

Notes:
-If "target's attackers" actually worked, that would also be an important one.
-I'm not using the targeting wheel because I bound all the shortcuts instead. Obviously this is quite a lot a buttons that you may not have. If you can, try to bind at least: ahead, my attacker, enemy squad, objectives, and subsystems.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

PC Gamer actually had a decent article up which mirrors my experience whenever I'm doing the campaign on the Imperial side. And overall the presentation of the story in general. I know it's the intention of the story but drat if I don't spite the Imperial commander for ranting you about her vendetta when I think how Tie Fighter presented its mission briefings. The mission briefings in general work as a forceful story dump instead of actually presenting any useful info and building the world in a more organic manner.

In general the game feels more arcade-y due to the breakneck pacing and details like this. The flight model and the combat in general is definitely deeper in Squadrons than any of the past X-Wing games.

Compulsory note due to the obvious comparisons that I am aware that nazis weren't actually hyper competent military force like certain circles like to present them as.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dessel posted:

Compulsory note due to the obvious comparisons that I am aware that nazis weren't actually hyper competent military force like certain circles like to present them as.

same except the empire

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I played the single player campaign for a few missions and it's pretty fun but I need to wrap my head around the controls being what they are, or remap them potentially. I'm playing with an xbox controller and I like the right stick aiming thing because it works really well, but then I get my head into flight mode occasionally and during tense dogfights my left hand constantly shuts the throttle off as I try to pull up.

I might try swapping throttle and Y axis but I worry that it's going to really confuse my aiming. I dunno.

It seems neat though, although having HDR on really makes a mess of the loading screens and the menus, but fortunately not any of the actual gameplay or briefings and conversations or whatever.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Shine posted:

As an aside, teamwork remains OP. We went something like 30-8 in a dogfight yesterday, and that was one with one party member being a complete novice who scored zero kills. It was my first zero-deaths dogfight, yayyyyyyyy.

Man, this poo poo's fun.
When I was grinding out the resupply challenge, I just stuck to the person on our team with the blinged out TIE bomber and constantly fed him with resupply and masking. He went 23-0. The other team were all at least double digit levels too.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

I played the single player campaign for a few missions and it's pretty fun but I need to wrap my head around the controls being what they are, or remap them potentially. I'm playing with an xbox controller and I like the right stick aiming thing because it works really well, but then I get my head into flight mode occasionally and during tense dogfights my left hand constantly shuts the throttle off as I try to pull up.

I might try swapping throttle and Y axis but I worry that it's going to really confuse my aiming. I dunno.

It seems neat though, although having HDR on really makes a mess of the loading screens and the menus, but fortunately not any of the actual gameplay or briefings and conversations or whatever.

it doesn't take too long to just get used to it, probably. I tried to remap the controls and ended up just switching them back and playing until I didn't notice anymore.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I cranked the throttle dead zone to like 75, and the Xbox controller defaults are way better because I don’t accidentally move throttle anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
what's everybody's favourite map? mine's probably the space station (Esseles?). I love flying in and out of that thing