Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coredump posted:

I'll add this one to the list. I'm gonna have a collection of funky scents at this rate.
I know it wasn't Lush--they're only sold in their own boutiques--but if you actually like grass perfume and aren't collecting it out of a strange sense of spite, they make a fragrance called (appropriately) Grass that's pretty pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Coredump posted:

Fragrance

Bet the fragrance thread in YLLS could help

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387386&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=139

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 24, 2022

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
The pilot for The Corrections, a planned HBO series that got the can.

It's based on the novel of the same name.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Here's something I've been trying to find for a long time. It's a policy trailer, the thing you see before a movie that tells you not to smoke, not to talk, to throw your trash away, etc. I'm looking for a very specific one that AMC Theatres, at least the one in my hometown, used to run in the early-mid 1980s.

This policy trailer was live-action and showed two people watching a movie, but you only saw things from their knees down.

One of the people is well-behaved like Gallant, and stays tidy (putting trash in their empty popcorn bucket, not littering like a goddamn animal, etc). The other one is like Goofus and throws popcorn around and tosses candy wrappers on the floor and generally misbehaves.

When the movie is over the two get up to leave. Gallant takes their trash with them. When Goofus stands up and takes a step, however, we see there's an enormous wad of chewed gum stuck to the sole of their shoe. The camera gets a really good close-up of the gum, which never failed to make the audience go "Ewwwwwwww" and which is why I remember it to this day even though I haven't seen it for decades.

I don't remember many details beyond that. I saw it a lot at my local AMC theater but I don't think it was branded for AMC, which means it was probably made independently and shown at other theaters or chains as well. It may have had a copyright date in the late 70s. The soundtrack of the movie the two were watching was generic space battle sound effects, pew-pew lasers and stuff. I really want to find a digital copy of this, because I'm programming pre-show material for a local independent movie theater and would absolutely love to put that gum up on a 30-foot screen and make the audience go "ewwwwwww" again.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Howard Beale posted:

I really want to find a digital copy of this, because I'm programming pre-show material for a local independent movie theater and would absolutely love to put that gum up on a 30-foot screen and make the audience go "ewwwwwww" again.

Truly, you are doing the Lord’s work :allears:.

I would enjoy seeing this as well, because I remember this clip from the United Artists theater chain, Jackson, TN, in the 80’s.

I said, “Ewww!” as a childhood theater patron, too!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
A piece of media where in a family tries to organize a game night to bond closer together, but ends up playing candy land and having a fight. I'm reasonably positive it was a tv show, and also positive that it was either Lost or Breaking Bad, but I could be wrong about any of this.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Arrhythmia posted:

A piece of media where in a family tries to organize a game night to bond closer together, but ends up playing candy land and having a fight. I'm reasonably positive it was a tv show, and also positive that it was either Lost or Breaking Bad, but I could be wrong about any of this.

I can tell you it's definitely not Breaking Bad, and I've never watched Lost, but I'm guessing maybe there's a Cranston connection and it's Malcolm in the Middle. It really sounds like an episode of that.

Could it be this episode where they play a board game that's basically Risk and threaten to ground the kids if they win?
https://malcolminthemiddle.fandom.com/wiki/Surgery

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TIP posted:

I can tell you it's definitely not Breaking Bad, and I've never watched Lost, but I'm guessing maybe there's a Cranston connection and it's Malcolm in the Middle. It really sounds like an episode of that.

Could it be this episode where they play a board game that's basically Risk and threaten to ground the kids if they win?
https://malcolminthemiddle.fandom.com/wiki/Surgery

The one thing I'm confident on is it being candy land.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Quick Youtube search suggests this but I only skimmed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm33V8RtkHM

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Quick Youtube search suggests this but I only skimmed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm33V8RtkHM

Yep. Good pull man. Thanks.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
A cheesy horror movie that features a "smooth talking" demon baby. I think it had a deep Barry White-like voice and it was giving a lot of grief to the guy who found it and was watching over it or whatever. I don't remember the circumstances. I think that Yello Oh Yeah song played in the movie. I saw it in Canada around 99/00 on a tv halloween horror movie marathon.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not quite a white whale, but there's something that just popped into my head and I can't really figure out how to search for it. It was a very very long, verbose and thorough (and at times existentialist) screed about the infamous Garfield strip where he's smoking Jon's pipe.

I can't remember if it was posted on these forums or somewhere else. I don't even know if I finished reading it, it just kept going.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Are you possibly thinking of this delightful Lasagna Cat video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Gotta resist or I will watch it unironically all the way through a fourth time

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DoombatINC posted:

Are you possibly thinking of this delightful Lasagna Cat video?

Oh wow, that's got to be it, thank you. I didn't even know it was a video, I just read it somewhere. Sublime.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Howard Beale posted:

Here's something I've been trying to find for a long time. It's a policy trailer, the thing you see before a movie that tells you not to smoke, not to talk, to throw your trash away, etc. I'm looking for a very specific one that AMC Theatres, at least the one in my hometown, used to run in the early-mid 1980s.

This policy trailer was live-action and showed two people watching a movie, but you only saw things from their knees down.

One of the people is well-behaved like Gallant, and stays tidy (putting trash in their empty popcorn bucket, not littering like a goddamn animal, etc). The other one is like Goofus and throws popcorn around and tosses candy wrappers on the floor and generally misbehaves.

When the movie is over the two get up to leave. Gallant takes their trash with them. When Goofus stands up and takes a step, however, we see there's an enormous wad of chewed gum stuck to the sole of their shoe. The camera gets a really good close-up of the gum, which never failed to make the audience go "Ewwwwwwww" and which is why I remember it to this day even though I haven't seen it for decades.

I don't remember many details beyond that. I saw it a lot at my local AMC theater but I don't think it was branded for AMC, which means it was probably made independently and shown at other theaters or chains as well. It may have had a copyright date in the late 70s. The soundtrack of the movie the two were watching was generic space battle sound effects, pew-pew lasers and stuff. I really want to find a digital copy of this, because I'm programming pre-show material for a local independent movie theater and would absolutely love to put that gum up on a 30-foot screen and make the audience go "ewwwwwww" again.
I'm honestly pretty proud of this one:
https://youtu.be/hv26Xbvp924?t=595
Another Duck Duck Go success via https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wiki/Cinema_Concepts_Policy_Trailers_and_Daters

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I love that era of CGI where you were judged by how much shine and non-specific light reflection you could get out of a single rectangle with chamfered edges.

AMC went with some real pros back then. Lovely stuff

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, if you could find that, maybe someone can find the GKC Theaters' 1990s pre-movie promo video that had such an unnecessarily great song that I know of two people who did tracked covers of it

It was the one before this infamous "car flying through cityscape" one, which, while cool, always pissed me off because it replaced the other one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNKlB-B-O5M

...wow, there is actually a .MOD to .MP3 converter online. Why? Why is this a need for anyone but me, right this second?

Here is the tracked version (the actual theme starts after about 20 seconds of ironic bombast)
https://vocaroo.com/1di7yaohfhJs

Shoutout to Ranger Rick/Wolf/Ellipse/whatever he goes by these days for the original tracked version

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Holy poo poo! This is the stuff all right, thanks a lot! Finding it in the middle of a compilation is a serious pro move.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Gotta resist or I will watch it unironically all the way through a fourth time

I feel the same or I’d double check — is it filmed in one shot, no cuts?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I read a book maybe 10 or 11 years ago and I wish I could find it again.

It was a young adult fantasy series with two books, each around maybe 500-600 pages. The first book started off in what was pretty obviously feudal japan but over time it became a bit more generic east asia and more magic-y.

Story followed a female protagonist that is a geisha or something to the emperor but then she learns that she's special and has magic and ends up leading an army.

Timeline of release was probably 2005-to 2011. I think the title was a single word? I looked through goodreads of everything that sort of matched this criteria but I can't find it. I went through probably 100 titles just reading the summaries but nothing matched what I remember the series as.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

chaibat posted:

I feel the same or I’d double check — is it filmed in one shot, no cuts?
It absolutely seems to be. I do feel like there are a few moments later on when they put up some graphics that could have hidden a cut, but I think he would have had to talk at least 30 minutes straight (and I feel like they said he legitimately did the whole thing in one take on his first try)

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

It absolutely seems to be. I do feel like there are a few moments later on when they put up some graphics that could have hidden a cut, but I think he would have had to talk at least 30 minutes straight (and I feel like they said he legitimately did the whole thing in one take on his first try)

And he’s Drew Barrymore’s brother? Cousin?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A quote I saw under I think someone's avatar, likely from a sci fi franchise and possibly doctor who. A whole bunch of platitudes about "some say it's better to go with the herd, others to go it alone" and so on about other things in a similar fashion although I think it rhymed. Long lost to time now and I can't remember the original quote to save my life

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

chaibat posted:

And he’s Drew Barrymore’s brother? Cousin?
I think half-brother and kind of mad about it. The perfect level of famous for that monologue.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

So I've more or less given up on this as I have so little information to go off of.

A movie or possibly TV show I saw at some random family friend's house in the mid 90s. The only scene I recall was a kid looking into a glass pane, I think at a bakery (possibly looking into the bakery from outside, or the glass display inside the bakery). He reacts to what I can only describe as a claymation mushroom trip where the food forms happy faces while looking delicious. Obviously I'd like to rewatch it on mushrooms.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

SnipeShow posted:

So I've more or less given up on this as I have so little information to go off of.

A movie or possibly TV show I saw at some random family friend's house in the mid 90s. The only scene I recall was a kid looking into a glass pane, I think at a bakery (possibly looking into the bakery from outside, or the glass display inside the bakery). He reacts to what I can only describe as a claymation mushroom trip where the food forms happy faces while looking delicious. Obviously I'd like to rewatch it on mushrooms.

doesn't like fast times at ridgemont high have a claymation burger song? or some other 80s teen comedy like better off dead or something?

on reflection surely it's better off dead and not fast times

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

doesn't like fast times at ridgemont high have a claymation burger song? or some other 80s teen comedy like better off dead or something?

This was not the fever dream I'm looking for but a drat good guess.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Better Off Dead doesn't get the respect it deserves. I usually watch it and One Crazy Summer at the very least as a double feature once a year. I remember my mom being shocked at the "he puts his testicles all over me" translation, but this was before even "Hell" or "drat" were common in prime time television. When he needed extra cash in college, my son would usually text me a .gif with, "I want my two dollars!" in the body somewhere 🤑.

At least my son had his mind blown by Airplane! the first time he saw it in an unedited, not on TNT version!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've been trying to find this for ages - years ago, I watched a speech on Youtube by Slavoj Zizek about Marxism, delivered live to a crowd somewhere, where he said something to the extent of "We [communists] are more of what you [progressives] say you are than you yourselves". I've been unable to find that recording since.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

SnipeShow posted:

This might be way off, but, Young Sherlock Holmes (1985), Watson's cupcakes nightmare?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHa31JpWAM

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

for a while this was kind of a meme in YOSPOS. a series of youtube videos made in 3DSMax or something like that with human figures in T-poses and animals with bad textures and lighting. the soundtrack was computer generated opera singing and there was also a connection to some kind of kink subculture, like World of Gor or furries.

they had a really trippy outsider art vibe to them. anyone remeber this?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

axolotl farmer posted:

for a while this was kind of a meme in YOSPOS. a series of youtube videos made in 3DSMax or something like that with human figures in T-poses and animals with bad textures and lighting. the soundtrack was computer generated opera singing and there was also a connection to some kind of kink subculture, like World of Gor or furries.

they had a really trippy outsider art vibe to them. anyone remeber this?

vaguely remember this, i think it was the same person who did the computer voice singing "hello hello i am a cat" to a 3ds max cat weirdly animating, which i could still sing the tune i remember so well. believe it was a woman creator... "CG Wendy"?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

vaguely remember this, i think it was the same person who did the computer voice singing "hello hello i am a cat" to a 3ds max cat weirdly animating, which i could still sing the tune i remember so well. believe it was a woman creator... "CG Wendy"?
??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Og5Tg_Jyo

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

that is the song, and the animation style, but approximately 10,000 times more elaborate than what i saw those ages ago. it was one of those (realistic type) cats walking around or doing some basic animation, on an untextured background, for like 8 seconds while a single creepy robot voice, not a chorus of dozens, sang the song.

anyway i don't know if that's what the poster is after but damned if it isn't equally as weird

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

SnipeShow posted:

This sounds a lot like a scene from the movie Young Sherlock Holmes. Everyone accidentally gets dosed with some sort of hallucinogen, and young Watson hallucinates a shop window full of pastries that come alive and start attacking him.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

This sounds a lot like a scene from the movie Young Sherlock Holmes. Everyone accidentally gets dosed with some sort of hallucinogen, and young Watson hallucinates a shop window full of pastries that come alive and start attacking him.

Zombie shrimp actually sound kind of terrifying really, especially if they don't have to stay in water to get to you.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I just read the thread title and thought it said "What's your wife whale?" at first glance.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yeah, that's the person I was thinking of, but as Deep Glove Bruno said, it was a lot cruder.

Looks like they took down their old account or deleted the ancient stuff.

This is from the same account. Warning for, I don't know exactly, curse maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eRBQt51VlA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

axolotl farmer posted:

Yeah, that's the person I was thinking of, but as Deep Glove Bruno said, it was a lot cruder.

Looks like they took down their old account or deleted the ancient stuff.

Looks like the account was originally called wendyvainity and a lot of the old stuff has been changed to 'private'

At one point there were a bunch of articles about her: https://www.vice.com/en/article/mggn4a/meet-wendyvainity-the-animated-queen-of-weird-youtube