Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gridlocked posted:

Then where eould the techpriests come from ???????

We nuke Earth and turn it into Mars, and then terraform Mars into Earth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

I think you should race to the bottom. The ultimate test of brinkmanship.

Last one down has to buy the first few rounds?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HiHo ChiRho posted:

After our initial new fleet construction we really need to get more TNE extraction going. Definitely blowing through our stockpiles

Given the insane speeds our shipyards can turn out ships I'm not sure we're ever practically going to be able to mine enough to keep them going full speed, even without extra shipyards or slipways. Fortunately Ranganui looks to be quite rich in TNEs aside from the other benefits

At some point later our engines will hopefully improve enough to make a practical possibility of exploring Ranganui B, the second, distant dwarf star in that system. It's about 19 years away at our nominal 4000 km/s speeds so a bit out of reach for now

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 19, 2017

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

As far as the initial scan showed there was nothing other than the star there, with nothing orbiting it, we might find another anomaly or blackbody object but if we go there looking for TNEs we're probably in the wrong place.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

TheWetFish posted:

Given the insane speeds our shipyards can turn out ships I'm not sure we're ever practically going to be able to mine enough to keep them going full speed, even without extra shipyards or slipways. Fortunately Ranganui looks to be quite rich in TNEs aside from the other benefits

At some point later our engines will hopefully improve enough to make a practical possibility of exploring Ranganui B, the second, distant dwarf star in that system. It's about 19 years away at our nominal 4000 km/s speeds so a bit out of reach for now

Well what I meant was going whole hog on taking that sweet, sweet TNE from Ranganui. Figure after this batch of ships and gate is constructed we focus on infrastructure in Ranganui (PDCs, mining and colonies) as well as in Sol (building up shipyards, new civvie shipyards)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How fast could we go if we made a ship that’s nothing but engines and sensors and life support?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

VanSandman posted:

How fast could we go if we made a ship that’s nothing but engines and sensors and life support?

For a ship? About 12000 km/s. For a fighter with very little fuel? About 20000 km/s

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So you could get the time down to between 4 and 6 years. Hm.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Except no ship carrying 4 years worth of fuel can go that fast. Most of our ships carry fuel for maybe 20-40 days at full power.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
One way or another it seems like we're more likely to discover better engines in that time so coming up with something that can shave off of 19 years sin't really worth it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SIGSEGV posted:

As far as the initial scan showed there was nothing other than the star there, with nothing orbiting it, we might find another anomaly or blackbody object but if we go there looking for TNEs we're probably in the wrong place.

Mass drivers.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Everyone posted:

blackbody object

A black body is a real term for an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation (IE nothing reflected), and radiates it back as heat. Stars can be considered black bodies.

The mystery station isn't one since its not radiating anything.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

One way or another it seems like we're more likely to discover better engines in that time so coming up with something that can shave off of 19 years sin't really worth it.

Or we could see what Facility's drones can do. Not like they have to worry about life support.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

A black body is a real term for an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation (IE nothing reflected), and radiates it back as heat. Stars can be considered black bodies.

The mystery station isn't one since its not radiating anything.

I should know, they're the things that once made people very uncomfortable with that whole ultraviolet catastrophe thing but I just wanted to push it further so that the official designation for it would be BO, because that would be funny to me, because I'm a child.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

1 October 2052

Martian deep space tracking ID's a number of ships turning on engines almost simultaneously at Terra. There is also a large concentration of nationalised Civillian shipping present.

Slover and Gerecke ships are Civ ships requisitioned by the Terran Navy.

Way out at the Ranginui jump point the transports are unloading their first lot of construction grunts at Swift Tuttle. Another 49 days remain before the gate is stabilised.

Oh and that JP: 4 notation by the Ranginui JP?

Yeah. Your survey ships have found a fourth jump point in Sol. Off to the North-west and 1.56 billion km from Sol, somewhat closer than the 2.33b km of the Ranginui JP but still rougly at the orbit of Saturn.

The Farseeker commanded by Col. Son of Billy is the closest ship and will complete her survey of the 17th point then proceed to investigate the jump point.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 19, 2017

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
OH great... that's a lot of future spacemadness waiting to happen...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
.............well, I've missed a bit, haven't I. Oh dear.

Crazyeyes24 posted:

OH great... that's a lot of future spacemadness waiting to happen...

To be fair, that's been the case since we first discovered jump point tech.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Yeah, but the Terrans are packing em in like sardines already. Mars hasn't even come close to starting a serious colonizing effort.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mostly because we need to liberate people from the suffering of United Terra to run our shipyards first!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
If we are salvaging those IC wrecks near the JCS ship we should do that. Reparations and all.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Yeah, but the Terrans are packing em in like sardines already. Mars hasn't even come close to starting a serious colonizing effort.

It's possible they weren't planning on starting colonization this quickly, and the people on board the colony ships aren't really colonists so much as eastern European refugees.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nevets posted:

It's possible they weren't planning on starting colonization this quickly, and the people on board the colony ships aren't really colonists so much as eastern European refugees.

You mean like some kind of...

Hyper-Space Australia?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Nevets posted:

Even worse... lets put already strained minds through the Warp and dump them on an alien world. I'm all for going big or going home but that.... is too much.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You are all missing the point. The real issue is that the Terrans are about to sacrifice several ship loads of perfectly good factory workers to the elder gods. Those are our refuges damnit.

Edit: maybe this is a good time to make a public announcement on the effects of warp sickness?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

You are all missing the point. The real issue is that the Terrans are about to sacrifice several ship loads of perfectly good factory workers to the elder gods. Those are our refuges damnit.

Edit: maybe this is a good time to make a public announcement on the effects of warp sickness?

I agree, seems like a good point to. Even share the Terran research aswell, so they can't claim they don't know!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oooo, devious. Let's hit 'em

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

17 Oct 2052

The Farseeker finishes its survey and heads for the new jump point at max speed.

22 Oct 2052

Farseeker transits out of Sol at roughly the same time that construction completes on the first Waka Ama class, the 40500 ton vessels are civillian drive troop transports and jump ships capable of carrying other civilian vessels through jump points with them.

The Galileo system

Shaking off the unpleasant effects of their first transit the crew of the Farseeker the new begin to survey the new system.

It is a distant and very old binary system. The primary is a small M6-V red dwarf star barely 15% the mass of the sun and at the very end of its life outputting a mere half a percent of Sol's luminosity. The secondary is a even tinier brown dwarf that seems to have never made the threshold for stellar fusion.

Far more interestingly is the planets. No less than five gas giants with three of them being tremendous super-jovians. Jupiter is roughly 300x the mass of Earth and these giants range from 1600x to 4000x Earth's mass, brushing up against the mass limits that would make them stars in their own right. The other two fall between Jupiter and Saturn in size.

Whirling in impossibly close to the star is a rocky planet approximately 40% the mass of earth. It is tidally locked and rotates around the red dwarf every five hours. Despite the red dwarfs low output its mere 500k km distance means the temperature on the day side is nearly 1000c.

Further out we have the rest of the planets, II, IV and IX are fairly boring small rocks worlds with no atmospheres and the rest are the gas giants. The blue ring corresponds with Earths orbital distance but the worlds are all very cold due to the tiny star.

Much further out at nearly half a light-year is the second star. More interestingly there are faint gravitational ripples from the Lagrange points of three of the gas giants. Theoretical until now an offshoot of jump theory indicates large planetary-star interactions should give rise to these 'weak points' [marked L1-L3 on the maps] in space where any ship can use its normal drive to transfer almost instantaneously to any other L point in the system.

The gas giants all have attendant flocks of moons but all are small airless rocks save one. The fourth moon of the sixth planet is approximately 205 the mass of Earth and titaddy locked to the massive superjovian. it also sports a very odd helium/hydrogen atmosphere.

Candidates for colonisation are poor due to the freezing temperatures but the gas giants may hold vast sorium reserves if they are not too frozen.

The extrasolar map:

:siren:I need further instructions on several matters.

• How to proceed with the use of the Waka Ama to transport civ ships to Ranginui or elsewhere.
  • Whether to interfere with the Terran convoy forming up, e.g. by making announcements about jump sickness.
  • What systems to focus on for geo/grav survey with the survey ships once they build or complete surveying Sol/Ranginui.
  • A new name for the system? Galileo is a temporary placeholder.

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 20, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

We could potentially announce a system wide jump point quarantine as well. If we communicate it that we are concerned of a major humanitarian crisis if those ships jump we just might be able to stop them.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

I hesitate to start trying to play the info game again until we have a clearer picture of how Terra's government has shaken out.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Surveying Galileo is definitely next on the list. If anything we should be supporting a joint sponsored venture there with the TFS to secure extrasolar deposits of sorium for both of us.

No direct messing with the UT convoy but should totally release our findings on jump sickness to help the frail Terrans avoid making future mistakes.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Releasing jump info will likely weaken the new Putin's position, since her public support is backed by the development of FTL travel.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

And of loving course we need to start shipping infrastructure and defenses ASAP to Ranganui. Once we find stuff in Galileo we should have the TFS help secure the viable gas giants there as well.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

mossyfisk posted:

Releasing jump info will likely weaken the new Putin's position, since her public support is backed by the development of FTL travel.

Do we know -anything- more about her at this point, or is Terra still largely incommunicado?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes to releasing jump info. Be as naive and innocently helpful about it as possible, then let it sink into to Terra that their leader is responsible for everything from the nuking through to forcing thousands of people to expose themselves to madness. This alone isn't going to do much, but we already know she has enemies, and if we give them this totally deniable information then they may well use it to destabilise or even topple her. Either way is good for us.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

According to saros on Discord, UT's official position on the attack is that it was the work of a rogue terrorist captain. So releasing the info on jump sickness will be... interesting to say the least. Earth might call us liars to protect themselves, but then they'll just look even worse when colonists start having the very symptoms we described.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We should release the jump sickness info, but through the Martial Council of Health or something, like the CDC would release an alert about staying away from mosquitos or something. Fact laden, but not particularly terrorizing on the surface. Then let the people realize what that means for themselves. We're just putting the info out there for the betterment of everyone, it's not our fault if they happen to reroute their colonization convoys because of it. That's a Terran matter!

We would, however, be happy to take those boatloads of refugees who now have nowhere to go.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm not too concerned about colonization from UT, recall that we all descended from colonists of Earth and aren't part of UT. If they start ruling their colonies with an iron fist we can guarantee their independence militarily, if not UT is providing opportunity to live a better life than on that overcrowded, now-moderately-nuked planet. By all means publicize the information responsibly (instead of blatantly hostile fearmongering) so that future colonists can make informed decisions.

I *am* somewhat worried about the new ruler of Terra, as she seems to have similar political acumen as Vladimir, mysterious connections, and (most importantly) much grander ambition than her dad who mostly just wanted him and his kleptocrat buddies to live lives of ridiculous opulence. Recall all of those kleptocrat buddies of Vlad have been turning up dead from the intel we know; This girl wants an empire, not exotic luxuries.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

We should release the jump sickness info, but through the Martial Council of Health or something, like the CDC would release an alert about staying away from mosquitos or something. Fact laden, but not particularly terrorizing on the surface. Then let the people realize what that means for themselves. We're just putting the info out there for the betterment of everyone, it's not our fault if they happen to reroute their colonization convoys because of it. That's a Terran matter!

We would, however, be happy to take those boatloads of refugees who now have nowhere to go.

That sounds fine to me. As for our own colonization, let's send the tender to S-T and wait until the gate is up to start colonization, so we can find out if it helps with jump sickness. It should nearly be up anyway by the time the tender arrives.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hey Saros, were the UT sitting On This new JP as well?

Also throwing out the name Kropotkin for the new JP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pharnakes posted:

Yes to releasing jump info. Be as naive and innocently helpful about it as possible, then let it sink into to Terra that their leader is responsible for everything from the nuking through to forcing thousands of people to expose themselves to madness. This alone isn't going to do much, but we already know she has enemies, and if we give them this totally deniable information then they may well use it to destabilise or even topple her. Either way is good for us.

Blood and Thunder! You do know that Yekaterina is the lesser of the two evils who could control UT? She's opposed to the military and pro-science. i.e. pro-rational thinking. She's a much better negotiating partner than the military generals and crony capitalists who will take over UT if you destabilize her before she finishes ousting them.

Goons make the worst choices with shocking regularity.