Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

If we hadn't received and deciphered the message from Briony about her family, we would have gotten this epilogue:

And if Briony wasn't prevented from going to the forest and (presumably) dying, we would have gotten this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I think I still don't understand Kevan's deal, exactly. Is he hella yaoi gay or not? And even if he is, why is he crazy? And what happened to Briony that made him so pissed off at us? (Or is discovering that in a future playthrough that hasn't been voted for yet?)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think I still don't understand Kevan's deal, exactly. Is he hella yaoi gay or not? And even if he is, why is he crazy? And what happened to Briony that made him so pissed off at us? (Or is discovering that in a future playthrough that hasn't been voted for yet?)

Briony talked to us frequently, then wandered into a forest and died. We didn't stop her or warn anybody, so he blames Elode and will try to kill her on week 33 or at the wedding if she tries to marry him. He isn't homosexual, but has some serious mental trauma after what happened with his previous stepfather.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
We just went over it: His uncle's been messing with him from a young age. The result is he's not a happy man and his own desires are twisted up. Briony dying(As occurs without your intervention) sends him completely off the edge.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I guess since the game used the word "seduced", rather than something more... forceful, I assumed the relationship with his stepdad was consensual. Or is the trauma supposed to stem from his mother's bad reaction to it all?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now I feel horribly guilty for voting to magically roast the poor bastard. :smith:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I guess since the game used the word "seduced", rather than something more... forceful, I assumed the relationship with his stepdad was consensual. Or is the trauma supposed to stem from his mother's bad reaction to it all?

He had a sexual relationship with his stepfather, which may or may not have been consensual. "Seduced" may just have been the game making it PG. His stepfather was then killed. We can presume the trauma happened sometime during or after the first incident with his stepdad and before he had a sexual relationship with his sister, Briony's mom.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
He is incredibly bipolar and has some major attachment issuses.
He needs a long and painfull time to warm up to someone, but once he trusts someone he would literally die and murder for this person, without a second thought.

He is clearly an insane person, but a realistic one, who is a result of his circumstances.

Did we ever see why exactly his mother disiherit him? We never even met Arrise in person, even though she is pretty important to the political side of things, being the "queen of the east".

EDIT:
Wait what? I thougth he had a relationship with his brother-in-law, rather than his sister.
We clearly need someone to make a family graph.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 28, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

Did we ever see why his mother disiherit him? We never even met Arrise in person, even though she is pretty important to the political side of things, being the "queen of the east".

You can meet her in some playthroughs. Let's just say she is very practical and ambitious. Most likely she did this because Kevan is, well, kind of insane, like you said.

Air is lava! posted:

We clearly need someone to make a family graph.

One that someone made for Steam can be seen here.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 28, 2014

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

And I thought Otacon had screwed up family life.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

:gameofthrones:

Well, I guess there's plenty of hosed up poo poo in Kevan's past that would cause him to snap. Poor guy, really. :smith:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

One that someone made for Steam can be seen here.

It's all confused as hell even looking at the map. There are way too many people to keep track of.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

:gameofthrones:
Our throne shall have the most games.

Also skulls.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

MegaZeroX posted:

I have something coming later today though.

Yay!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I already posted it. It was what happens if you try to marry Kevan in other circumstances.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

MegaZeroX posted:

He had a sexual relationship with his stepfather, which may or may not have been consensual. "Seduced" may just have been the game making it PG. His stepfather was then killed. We can presume the trauma happened sometime during or after the first incident with his stepdad and before he had a sexual relationship with his sister, Briony's mom.

Either that, or that's how it was presented to Briony? I mean, for all her apparent lack of common sense, some of it's because she's being held at arm's length from her family. Even though she's a legal adult, her parents don't want her coming home to learn how to rule the duchy she'll inherit, and it takes her threatening to commit suicide-by-Old-Forest before her mother explains, "Dear, the reason we didn't want you home is because this family is all kinds of hosed up and we didn't want to explain it to you," so I have no doubt that Corisande tried to explain it as obliquely as possible, which means Briony reports it to Elodie as "seduced".

If Arisse really did disinherit Kevan because of his relationship with her second husband, that would explain a lot about him - it might suggest that Arisse was behind Kevan being granted the county of Io (to keep him quiet), too. Corisande is the only one of Kevan's full- or half-siblings to hold a title in her own right, presumably because she was their father's heir.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Man, the Kevan stuff turned out way darker than I expected. :smith:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

zonohedron posted:

"Dear, the reason we didn't want you home is because this family is all kinds of hosed up and we didn't want to explain it to you,"

Or get her caught up in it. :gonk:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I've been more busy than I thought, and it is likely that I won't be able to post an update at all until the end of the month. I should be back to a more regular schedule in July.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Something bothers me about what we've been learning about Nova in the past playthroughs. It was mentioned in the second playthrough, during our extensive Lore studies, that Nova used to be an empire. They maintained their rule through magical force, by gathering Lumens together and focusing their magic on the King or Queen, allowing him or her to wield apocalyptic amounts of power against any that opposed Nova. Our Novan History studies in this last playthrough told us about the results of that: Nova used to be huge, spanning the entire western coast. Ixion and Pyrias may very well not have even existed, save for as helpless vassal states.

Now, we're just another nation getting caught up in petty inheritance disputes and pissing matches with its neighbors. The reason the Empire came to this is, primarily, that six hundred years in the past, Nova's capital was destroyed by its own summoned monsters, decapitating the Empire and destroying half of Caloris (most of which is now the Old Forest) in the process.

It sounds like even after that, Nova continued to rule through magical force, using a complement of Lumens to reinforce the Crown's magic. This went on for four hundred years, up until the Doomshadow showed up -- a godawful black cloud that blocked out the sun and spread cold and disease to every corner of Nova. For whatever reason, the seas ran red just before the Doomshadow appeared, too, as sort of an omen. (Interestingly, it's mentioned that the Kraken would only sleep after the seas ran red, too.) The Queen at the time had to sacrifice herself and her entire Lumen compliment -- except for the Duke of Ursul -- to banish the Doomshadow. After that, the crystals were hidden away, and the records were rewritten to say that the crystals were destroyed, because people were afraid that Lumen magic attracted and/or caused the Doomshadow. This may have also been when Nova's relationship with magic was purged from the history books:

Novan History posted:

100: The most famous ruler of ancient Nova was King Latimer. According to the history texts, he began the policy of "gathering light" which led to the predominance of the Empire. Unfortunately, the texts don't explain what exactly that policy was. There's a reference, but that volume is missing.

However, we know now that the Lumen crystals were never destroyed -- only hidden. They're still out there, and whoever can get ahold of enough of them can rule the world once more. This may very well be why Togami invaded us.

And at the same time, we know how much power Lumen magic has when pooled together. A mere four Lumens working in concert were able to enchant the sea and turn it into a gaping maw, swallowing an entire warfleet in one gulp. God only knows what we'll be capable of if we get ahold of more power.

The only thing that's holding us back from becoming a magical superpower again is Nova's lingering fear of magic. What I'm wondering is whether there's a story path that'll have us attaining that. The Duke of Sedna doesn't stand for poo poo when we can summon a keythong in front of him.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 5, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Novan History posted:

100: The most famous ruler of ancient Nova was King Latimer. According to the history texts, he began the policy of "gathering light" which led to the predominance of the Empire. Unfortunately, the texts don't explain what exactly what that policy was. There's a reference, but that volume is missing.

An interesting thing to note is that "Lumen" is a unit in science to denote how much visible light is emitted from a source. So, by "gathering light," you could also say that he was "gathering Lumen."

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

MegaZeroX posted:

An interesting thing to note is that "Lumen" is a unit in science to denote how much visible light is emitted from a source. So, by "gathering light," you could also say that he was "gathering Lumen."

So, what you're saying here is that AnimeKing 4000 is actually the former ruler of Nova, who's come back for his kingdom?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not likely. More like someone who learned about it and is trying the same. Which really means we need to do it FIRST.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
No, he was trying to turn into a tree.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
Good Ol' Games is having a great sale on this game, for anyone wanting to play along:

http://www.gog.com/game/long_live_the_queen

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

MegaZeroX posted:

What is happening in this game and why do people know so much about it

:staredog:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Widestancer posted:

I'm starting to notice that this is a really, really creepy-rear end game.

Internal Affairs posted:

80: There were many dark rumors about the second husband of the Duchess of Lillah, possibly because he was a commoner. It was whispered that he once assaulted the young Duchess of Elath before her untimely marriage and demise.

That second husband is also the one who was involved with Kevan :suicide:

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 18, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Widestancer posted:

Hell, this is essentially sugarcoated fictional versions of actual things that real historical royal families have done.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dareon posted:

Hell, this is essentially sugarcoated fictional versions of actual things that real historical royal families have done.

Is it all that sugar-coated though? I mean, the game has no qualms with indirectly or not-so-indirectly implying some truly messed up stuff going on behind the scenes and the game certainly doesn't beat around the bush regarding many of the several... questionable things Elodie herself can do. But that's for the Evil Elodie playthrough to elaborate on :getin:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The anime, cutesy aestethic makes the horribleness really stand out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

My very first reaction to the game after buying it on steam thread recommendation was "oh my god that title screen, what japanimu bullshit have I got myself into :cripes:". If ever there was a prime example of judging books by their cover...

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

It really does - and the fact that the horribleness is largely understated makes it creepier, in a lot of ways. When Elodie :shopkeeper:s Kevan, there's just "a horrible scream, and the smell of burning flesh," for example, which leaves it up to the imagination what, exactly, happened.

If Elodie doesn't marry Kevan, the most we hear about his 'situation' is her reacting to Briony's letter - "(Her uncle and his stepfather? Her uncle and her mother? Well, I hope she's happier now.)" - which means I was actually wrong earlier in the thread; "seduction" is how Kevan puts it.

So it doesn't "beat around the bush", as Super Jay Mann put it, but it's cutely pink and it's possible to avoid a lot of the horribleness in any given playthrough, which makes an Evil Elodie playthrough all the more jarring :unsmigghh:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Dareon posted:

This guy would certainly agree with you.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

My very first reaction to the game after buying it on steam thread recommendation was "oh my god that title screen, what japanimu bullshit have I got myself into :cripes:". If ever there was a prime example of judging books by their cover...

People with 40k avatars shouldn't throw stones. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

People with 40k avatars shouldn't throw stones. :v:

I was about to make a rebuttal then realized I really couldn't in good conscience. :smith:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The hiatus is now over. Expect an update soon.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

People have made the comparisms to CK2, which in itself is a history explorer(I'd say 'simulator' except the whole point is 'things get weird when you add RNG, computers and players to the mix').

These are accurate comparisms, except for the magic, and modders have tried to add 'weird and wonderful' to normal CK2 as-is.

And players are a lot more free with evil and crazy than anything the game comes up with.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Over the break, I actually got a pack of LLTQ trading cards. I guess Steam didn't want me to forget. Though unfortunately, I didn't get any foil cards.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

They're really depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They're really depressing.

They're the images for all of the deaths, which is clever but mostly just annoying since collecting 11 cards is a lot harder than collecting 7 or 8.

• Locked thread