Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah deus ex sold less than half of human revolution and hitman couldnt even do over 650,000 copies on steam so square said "hmm instead of putting endings in our games or releasing them when they are finished, lets just not make them"

sound business plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

mutata posted:

It matters enough that Ninty stock shot up to Pokémon Go levels.

It didn't in the US. It's only up a buck fifty right now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

KoB posted:

lol if you think monhun matters in the west.

Yes because we should only care about what's happening in one area of the world :v:

More support means more games

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/867987011512160257

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Daily stock price variations don't matter for poo poo unless you are a stock trader.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Andrast posted:

Daily stock price variations don't matter for poo poo unless you are a stock trader.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yes because we should only care about what's happening in one area of the world :v:

More support means more games

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/867987011512160257

When we're talking about the west-centeric E3, such as the post I quoted, monhun isnt going to "win e3"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just hate the dumb "look at how much this company's stock fell/rose after they did a thing" stuff. It's always dumb and irrelevant for anything.

I'm glad that the switch is doing well.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When the gently caress is that western release of Monster hunter stories?!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lakbay posted:

I'm worried they're going to have the "duct taped together" feeling of FFXV (which I enjoyed) when they do come out in 10 years

You don't need to worry, because there's pretty much a 100% chance of it happening.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crabtree posted:

Japan didnt like it i heard

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Japan didnt like it i heard

It's already been announced for the west it just doesn't have a date, I think.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Right i was tempering hype to make the wait bearable

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Square Enix has made some really quality stuff even in the last half decade. Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest VII 3DS, and Dragon Quest VIII 3DS are all some of my top games of the last gen.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

Right i was tempering hype to make the wait bearable

Do you remember anything in general about what they didn't like about it?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

Sometime in Fall.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sam Faust posted:

People said it sold terrible

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sam Faust posted:

From what I've seen of game play its a competent Pokemon esque spin off. You still kill monsters but have them fight for you, so you can match your monsters in outfits made out of other former members of their species. Only problem is likely figuring out egg patterns to make sure you get the monsters you want, however, there is something good in getting duplicates in that you can mutate their traits onto other monsters to improve them further.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mordja posted:

Finally, I can create the perfect, Aryan ubermensch.

Realtalk, I don't know that I'll get this one. I liked FC3, and liked FC4 more because it was basically an improved version of FC4 but at the same time I felt like the next game had to be very different and it looks like this one won't be. Specifically, I wanted the next game to NOT be set in modern times because I'm fed up of shooting SCARs and AKMs and want more, better movement options. My dream FC game would be a sci-fi frontier game where you're hunting exotic alien beasts and have a jet pack.

This game exists and is called Titanfall.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Actually you don't even have to just think about them just relive the moments here.

Not really big on reaction vids but this video is absolutely great.

The 40 year old dude losing his poo poo in front of his kids. :laffo:

People lose their mind over this loving game, it's hilarious. On an abstract level it's like people don't even want the real game they just want to forget life for a minute and hope the world is a good place where golden dreams come true and we all won't end in nuclear fire.

Like half of the reactions are people screaming NO NO NO NONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO while pissing their pants. I'm pretty sure the only other media property that simultaneously freaks multiple generations of people out like this is Star Wars.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 27, 2017

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
They should have the team who did World of Final Fantasy do Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Real hurthling! posted:

Not only that but like when cloud doesnt talk the way they imagined at age 13 they are gonna flip

I want to see the meltdowns when they learn that Sephiroth's been voiced by Superman for nearly 12 years and not the super-edgey and deep voice they made up in their heads.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
cloud and sephiroth have had voices for years though, it's nothing new

the same voices since like, kingdom hearts even

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not really big on reaction vids but this video is absolutely great.

The 40 year old dude losing his poo poo in front of his kids. :laffo:

People lose their mind over this loving game, it's hilarious. On an abstract level it's like people don't even want the real game they just want to forget life for a minute and hope the world is a good place where golden dreams come true and we all won't end in nuclear fire.

Like half of the reactions are people screaming NO NO NO NONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO while pissing their pants. I'm pretty sure the only other media property that simultaneously freaks multiple generations of people out like this is Star Wars.

I wonder if all those people knew they'd have to wait like 4 to 5 more years for part 1 of a 3 part game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Raserys posted:

cloud and sephiroth have had voices for years though, it's nothing new

the same voices since like, kingdom hearts even

Bring back Lance Bass Sephiroth.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SE told investors that they are gonna shift final fantasy and other major series to games as service model releases despite failing to make that work with their western ips last year.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

SE told investors that they are gonna shift final fantasy and other major series to games as service model releases despite failing to make that work with their western ips last year.

Everyone loves the recent Hitman game, right? Then they shut down the studio that made it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Everyone loves the recent Hitman game, right? Then they shut down the studio that made it.

Because despite a ton of Giant Bomb videos it sold about a sixth the amount of Absolution.

Life is Strange has outsold it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Square Enix and capcom fighting for they coveted "most infuriating business decisions" title

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, and I love it. Now imagine a similar movement system in a Far Cry game. The closest I can think of is the cancelled Prey 2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Because despite a ton of Giant Bomb videos it sold about a sixth the amount of Absolution.

Life is Strange has outsold it.

Yeah it sold like 640k copies on steam despite 8 months of constant coverage from every game site

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah it sold like 640k copies on steam despite 8 months of constant coverage from every game site

It was in at least one (or more?) of their $9.99 mystery boxes too right? I don't know how well those sell but there's probably at least some people in that number that didn't even intend to own it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zelder posted:

Square Enix and capcom fighting for they coveted "most infuriating business decisions" title

SE still makes money though

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
SE has such an incredible lineup of IPs and it's kind of insane they can't find a way to make things like Deus Ex, Hitman, or Thief work financially. I think they also were underwhelmed by Tomb Raider's sales even though it revitalized a dead rear end joke franchise into GOTY conversations. Looking forward to SE exclusively releasing freemium FF games by 2027 with the rest of their IP appearing only on pachinko machines.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodysabbath posted:

SE has such an incredible lineup of IPs and it's kind of insane they can't find a way to make things like Deus Ex, Hitman, or Thief work financially. I think they also were underwhelmed by Tomb Raider's sales even though it revitalized a dead rear end joke franchise into GOTY conversations. Looking forward to SE exclusively releasing freemium FF games by 2027 with the rest of their IP appearing only on pachinko machines.

They should have gone mid tier on deus ex and thief, put them out on pc with console ports later if they caught on. Going all in on these franchises seems foolish in hindsight, doubly so with deus ex where they couldnt even be bothered to finish the game after spending so much to plan a trilogy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess the stealth genre is dead in AAA isn't it. like.. last year you'd think that it was on the rise, with Dishonored 2, MGS5, Hitman, Deus Ex: MD, now three of those franchises are dead or practically dead. and Assassins Creed has always been garbage as a stealth game so it coming back doesn't mean much

Kinda sad cause there's not really a gameplay experience quite like dishonored/DE:MD where you have so much verticality in maps, so many routes, and the option to ghost or to just run through guns blazing. or hitman where there's so many different ways to achieve a goal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

i guess the stealth genre is dead in AAA isn't it. like.. last year you'd think that it was on the rise, with Dishonored 2, MGS5, Hitman, Deus Ex: MD, now three of those franchises are dead or practically dead. and Assassins Creed has always been garbage as a stealth game so it coming back doesn't mean much

Kinda sad cause there's not really a gameplay experience quite like dishonored/DE:MD where you have so much verticality in maps, so many routes, and the option to ghost or to just run through guns blazing. or hitman where there's so many different ways to achieve a goal.

I'm pretty sure Dishonored isn't "dead," it's just complete. As long as Harvey Smith is still alive and at Arkane they'll continue to make Deus Ex-esque games, just give them a few years since both studios at Arkane just got done releasing stuff.

Desu Ex and Hitman were good, they just were saddled with a poo poo-tier producer and got iced, same with MGS5. Somebody will eventually fill in the blanks and make a new IP or idea for the genre--just not this year. Past 2 years were kind to the genre so we have a down year for it now. Personally I'd love it if Klei stopped making lovely survival games and got going with Mark of the Ninja or something.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

Personally I'd love it if Klei stopped making lovely survival games and got going with Mark of the Ninja or something.

Yea that's not gonna happen. Those games are crazy successful.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder how much SE spent on the cinematics for Hitman.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

DLC Inc posted:

Personally I'd love it if Klei stopped making lovely survival games and got going with Mark of the Ninja or something.
Same but Capcom and Monster Hunter

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Stealth only games may be all but dead, but stealth as a feature is everywhere these days. There are awareness indicators in loving Zelda now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
I'm surprised we haven't gotten a new Splinter Cell game in awhile. Blacklist seemed fine although that that was Fisher in name but not the character we knew from obvious games. Maybe stealth focused games just aren't selling like they used to.

• Locked thread