Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nettle Soup posted:

Can I get some basic advice on this? It was a 3 random words ~500 word challenge to myself. It's grown to about 700 now so I'm going to stop editing it and just post. I'm heartened the thought that it can't possibly be as incomprehensible as that mess of words above.

---

3 seed words: Necklace, integrity, defy.

It was, I thought, a very pretty necklace. In general, "pretty" is a fairly worthless adjective. However, it does seem appropriate to (and indicative of) the narrator's status as a little old working class English lady. That said, it wasn't too clear who she was until she used the word "skip". You may want to try dropping a few more hints in the narrator's turn of phrase earlier on to help set the scene. Whether she'll like it or not I have no idea, but with what little time I'd had, I thought I'd done very well. On reading the whole piece through once or twice, I realised that you never made it clear what the narrator had actually "done" very well. Did she make the piece? Make the box? Did she consider herself to have "done well" in salvaging it at all?

It, the necklace I mean, is in a little red velveteen box. Yes it's a little worn around the edges, but it's still solid, and when you close it it Arg! How about "when closed gives..." gives a nice, satisfying click. The lining inside the box is cream, and in a specially made recess sits the necklace, a yellowgold chain with a fairly big pendant in the center, set with a large green emerald. "Lining inside the box" is redundant -- where else would you find the lining? "Specially made" kills the tone. "Yellow" gold is also somewhat redundant; sure white gold exists, but gold is by default yellow, and holy hell is "yellow" a soulless adjective for this thing. Same goes for "fairly big". You're describing the main object of your essay. Work hard on this sentence; make it flow; make it evocative.

Like I said, a pretty thing. If you prise your fingernails into the edge then it opens up, Oh. Oh. The necklace is a locket. She's just been talking about the box, and the first thing I thought was that she was prising the box open. Maybe try to add a few more descriptions tying this action to the necklace itself, or just call it a locket somewhere? and there's a yellowed picture and some hair inside, but I don't know who they belonged to, it's not old Joan.

Maybe somebody loved it once, Seriously? Maybe? It has a piece of hair in it. but right now it's in the drawer in the kitchen, Whose kitchen? Most of the rest of the essay talks about Joan's flat, not the narrator's. shoved right to the back so that nobody finds it when they need a spoon or something. When I was a girl I had a false-back in my knicker drawer Here would be a good place for turn-of-phrase clues to the reader: "in me knicker drawer" where I used to store that kind of thing, but that was quite a time ago now.

I didn't steal it, in case you're wondering. I know I'm hiding it but it's not like that.

It's not... Is it stealing if nobody will ever know? If nobody cares? If there's nobody left to claim it? "Claim" sounds awkward and out of place. It's stealing from the state also "state" sounds out of character to me. Your narrator does not sound like the type to use the word "state" to talk about the government maybe, death duties and unclaimed wills and all that, but don't talk to me about wills... Bloody government owns everything nowadays, if they don't own it while you're alive then they certainly own it after you're dead.

And it's not stealing if she'd have wanted me to have it, right? Because when I say there was nobody left, I guess that's not strictly true either.

They came only once, the Family. Not long after she died, "Died" is also a pretty awful word to use. Usually. It works here once you've got the working class accent dialled in. they came round. I watched "watched"? Try "peeped" or something. The listening at the window could be more evocative too. through the curtains and I listened through the window as they banged all her doors, as they shouted out her windows. You used "window" twice in the same sentence. I watched as they sifted through all her things, took what they wanted and disdained Again with the tone/character: "disdained" sounds out of place. all they didn't. I watched Third time using this word. I think you're going for some kind of rhythmic repetition, but it doesn't really work, mostly because "watched" is an incredibly boring word. as they filled the skip and as they dismantled her entire life bit by bit, piece by piece. This feels out of order -- they filled the skip and then dismantled her entire life? It's amazing how fast you can destroy 80 years of work. "Work"? There has got to be a better way of describing all earthly traces of somebody's 80-year long life. Two, three hours, and all signs of the person are erased. A few days, a couple of coats of paint, and it's like they never existed at all.

They saw me, Where? On first reading, I though the narrator was a ghostly apparition standing in the flat and being half-seen by the relatives. I saw them gesture in my direction, lower their voices, look away, oh yes, they saw me and they knew who I was. Except we, as readers, never really find out. You can't tease with this and then not deliver. If they'd come over, if they'd asked maybe, if they'd shown the slightest bit of sympathy... But they didn't, so I, as they used to say, kept mum. Then they left were gone and it was too late anyway. Maybe if they'd come back I would have said something, but they never did. About what? We, the readers, don't know, so why should we care? A man came to empty the skip, somebody came to take the last of the furniture, a builder, a decorator, and that was it. "that was that", for a little old working class English lady, no? Also, this sentence needs more description. "A man came", "somebody came", "take" are pretty piss-poor descriptors. Paint a picture with your words. All signs of old Joan were gone, and she may as well have never even existed at all. I don't think they even bought her a headstone... This also seems weird -- you hint that the narrator was something special to Joan, but she doesn't even know whether she got a headstone on her grave?

Anyway. No. Holy gently caress no. Do not begin a paragraph in a beautiful nostalgic rumination with "anyway". There's a woman living there now, young, I've heard her shouting yelling. or even better, yellin' at her kid and seen her busying in and out, but she seems a good sort. This sentence feels strange -- the shouting is a reason for the "but", while it's not clear why the "busying in and out" would be indicative of someone not a good sort. She hasn't been over to say hello yet but that's ok OK, that's how the young live nowadays. I keep meaning to bake her something, to go over there and introduce myself, but it's too late for me to be making friends again now. Make it clear that you mean "too late in life", not "too late after the neighbour moved in". Something like "at my age". I think about it, and then I stop. I put the cake back in the cupboard, Huh? I thought she never got up to baking something, so why is there a cake? put the extra mug away again and tell myself I'll do it tomorrow instead. Also, if there is a cake, they don't stay fresh forever; "tomorrow instead" seems weird (but only if there's cake).

But this time I mean it, I am going to go over there tomorrow, cake or no cake. I'm going to tell her the stories and I'm going to give her the necklace, whether she wants it or not.

And maybe when I die, and they shuffle through my jewelry box and they look behind my television and they curse their lack of Inheritance, they'll know it served them right.

This bugs me the most. It took about three readings to realise that the terrible vengeance she'll mete upon her own kids is to not leave them an inheritance. And how would they know it served them right? Is this old lady seriously talking about taking vengeance on her own kids for the actions of her friend's kids? Why should we eveb care about her family, whom she's never mentioned once?

Overall, I like it, though I'm not sure all goons will. The nostalgia and whimsy are sufficiently cloying that I think you can scrape by with the relative lack of drama. There are some clarity problems, though, especially with the ending. You could make us care a lot more, too.

E: corrected minor bolding error.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thank you! I realise it has some major issue, but if nobody points them out then I'll never improve! I think the main problem is, it started out as a guy giving his girlfriend a necklace he couldn't possibly afford and her thinking he'd stolen it, and then suddenly the woman shoved her way in and I couldn't think of a better opening. I should have just erased it and started fresh.

She never found the headstone because the family didn't contact her, and they didn't have one made anyway, just kept her ashes on the bookcase.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nettle Soup posted:

Thank you! I realise it has some major issue, but if nobody points them out then I'll never improve! I think the main problem is, it started out as a guy giving his girlfriend a necklace he couldn't possibly afford and her thinking he'd stolen it, and then suddenly the woman shoved her way in and I couldn't think of a better opening. I should have just erased it and started fresh.

You're welcome! I hope it didn't come off as too negative. As I said at the end, I do kinda like it, it just needs some work for consistency and clarity. Maybe work on explaining the narrator's relationship to Joan, and think of some kind of better ending -- either work the locket angle (it's your main theme, no?) with the new neighbour, or else something happening with Joan's family. Or hell, have something happen with the locket. Have the narrator arrested, or be currently in jail. Anything but her taking some kind of spiteful vengeance on her own family we've never heard about until the last sentence.

Nettle Soup posted:

She never found the headstone because the family didn't contact her, and they didn't have one made anyway, just kept her ashes on the bookcase.

Hmmm ... but wouldn't she have gone to the funeral? They're generally public, and if she cared so much, she would've found the details and gone, even if not invited personally.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
I really enjoyed reading this one. It's a done to death theme (corporations putting profits before human life), but taken on in a new and interesting way. I really liked it, and I wouldn't mind seeing it fleshed out a bit more, or perhaps gone over with a few more details.

However this bit gave my some issue:

quote:

(with cross-validated PPV of 0.98), or divorce (PPV=0.97). Working with the production team, she had optimised the classifier for speed, validated on a follow-up cohort, and rolled it out as a secure internal service to account managers country-wide.
I have no idea what a "cross-validated PPV of 0.98" is, but given the context I'm able to work it out; the way it's considered gives me a bit of insight into Daniella's though process; and I'm generally able to accept that Daniella knows what she's talking about. Overall good job on making the jargon both believable so far, and understandable to a simpleton like me. What's troubling me is the second half of the quote: I really had to stop and consider what the heck "optimised the classifier for speed, validated on a follow-up cohort, and rolled it out as a secure internal service to account managers country-wide" even meant, so I had to puzzle for a bit to understand what you were trying to convey there, which really broke the flow of the story. What's more, the sentence immediately after that one makes the whole quote a bit unnecessary, so I'd recommend either taking that bit out entirely, simplifying the jargon a bit, or have Daniella "use" that information in some way that gives me an immediate and easily understandable idea of what that stuff means.

quote:

"Suicide Cost-Benefit Analysis"
I really think you should stop the story right here, and have the whole piece be less of a tragedy and more of a horror. I immediately figured that she was going to discuss it with her boss, he would give her the "we have a duty to the shareholders" bit, she would find that someone close to her was a "high risk, low profitability" statistic, and that she would be too late to save them. Sorry, it just seems like a bit of a cliche. Perhaps if you want it to be less horrific and more introspective have her be in time to save her father, but reflect on the fact that there's realistically nothing she can do to save the millions of "low profitability" lives out there?

Hopefully that was somewhat useful and not total crap; this is the first piece I've ever really critiqued, so feel free to totally ignore me. But yeah, really good work overall!

SSGT Anime fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 10, 2014

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
With my critique out of the way, I'd like to post something that I wrote today. It took me all of forty minutes to cook up, and at only 131 words there's probably not a whole lot to criticize, but as it's the first piece I've ever written, I want the word to see it, dammit!

Anyways, if you have any commentary, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise just posting what I occasionally write here will serve as a great bit of motivation. I figure I'll start small and work my way up from there.

---

It is thanks to the capacities and capabilities of contemporary technology that we were able to do away with the notions of ethnicity or national identity. Funny it is, then, that what can only be described as one “red blooded American,” Jack, and one three-quarters-Russian Tatiyana would meet on a battlefield, secretly opposed to one another, centuries after the terrestrial “Cold War” had run its course.

A clandestine tragedy took place on the date of 24-44-079, Colonial Era, as the Flagship Sovereignty's cargo detonated with all hands reported lost, including the delegates and figureheads onboard. The Sovereignty transmitted a single message before it was entirely consumed by the fireball; a message that both Avakian Executive and Colonial Autonomy codebreakers alike would inconclusively puzzle over for weeks.

“Tatiyana I loved you.”

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

It's like the back of a DVD cover. And not a blockbuster, but like a straight-to-video DVD that you look at while you're in line and then throw back into the pile with a snort.

Your opening sentences has too many BIG WORDS that they start to lose meaning. "For over weeks," is a horrible, vague timeframe. You have a bunch of weird names of ships, people, and countries that don't matter a lick to me, since it's not like I really need to know them.

And this story is literally all tell. I have absolutely no idea WHY these two enemies fell in love, how they actually met, what they did, why they found each other attractive, bla bla bla. Just "yo, 2 enemies fell in love, then DIED. Plus some scifi names. :whatup:"

At least you mostly spelled the words correctly tho.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
My buddy recommended I keep it under 150 words to start off with, and build to a comfortable level from there, so that was my attempt at obliging him. I definitely agree that it wasn't enough to go into any sort of detail, and under that constraint I had too little there to actually get you to care about any of it. All the "stuff happened and sci-fi names" with no real explanation is a byproduct of that.

The line was "puzzle over for weeks," not "puzzle over for over weeks" or whatever.

And is that last comment there to imply that my story has typos in it? :confused:

SSGT Anime fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 10, 2014

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Your buddy did you wrong. Start at something like 1000-2500 words. You can have an actual storyline and cool stuff like dialogue and characterization and so on.

His last comment was meant as "your story was terrible but at least you didn't make any simple spelling mistakes."

Recommendation: enter next week's Thunderdome.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Oh, you're right about the over weeks thing, but it's still a lovely description of time. I am an unreliable critiquer at best, because I'm usually drunk, tired, or both.

But yeah, cut your teeth on some flash fiction and join TD.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Drunk at eight in the morning?

:frogon:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

this pain it will not heal

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'm just going to chime in quickly to note that writing "funny it is" or any other turns of phrase that sound like they were spoken by Yoda should be big flashing warning signs that you need to tighten up your prose.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
e: nevermind, this isn't quite ready for sharing yet.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 11, 2014

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
Hey y'all, this is my entry for the element's thunderdome contest and I was hoping someone could critique it a bit. I realized after the response and my dishonorable mention how clumsily I had portrayed my thoughts which surprised me because I had come away from it thinking it was pretty solid. How wrong I was. Anyways I was hoping for a thorough critique from someone who knows what they're doing on my story. If you could. I know I'm fairly bad with commas and grammar but I don't exactly know how to fix it so if someone could take a stab at giving me some info on that it would be helpful.

Here's the original for comparison: Modern Magic

Title: Modern Magic
Word Count: 1170
Element: Cesium

Debiles smiled, his plan was coming together once again. He so loved the art.

“You, will never become the Archmage.” His quarry spat at him; even as his body was slowly being pulled apart atom by atom.

Debiles laughed, “My plan has already succeeded. You see minister, you were the final loose end to pluck out. Now the empire is mine.” With a snap of his fingers the man before him disintegrated. The motes of energy that had formerly comprised his body annihilating themselves in brilliant flashes of light. In a moment it was over.

The green glow of his watches’ backlight was the only light in the cavern but Debiles needed no light to see by. The magic that infused his body allowed him to see through the darkness. The radiation that permeated all things was more than enough for his eyes to see by. A faint beeping sound played out of his watches' electronic speaker reminding him that the minister needed to be dead by that moment.

Right on time, he mused.

“Now what?” Fortis spoke behind him shattering his reverie. Debiles tried not to snarl at her. It really wasn’t her fault but he hadn’t scheduled an opportunity for her to speak. He walked towards the end of the corridor where the minister’s personal transport to the Archmage’s chambers awaited him. The sound of his sister’s footfalls were irritatingly irregular. He had learned years ago to try and ignore that shortfall of hers, after all she had taught him magic.

The human will, such a peculiar thing, he thought. Unpredictable, resistant to routine and utterly unaware of time. To him time was precious.

“All in good time my sister,” Tick, tock, was the sound that played through his mind.

----

The sound of the clock was all that he could hear. Tick, tock. The sound seemed to obliterate every thought before it.

Was it a minute he had been locked up in the darkness? Was it a year? He couldn't be sure.

His train of thought was interrupted by the sound; Tick, tock. He felt a mouse brush his leg and immediately grabbed and bit into it. The warm juice exploded in his mouth and he savored the metallic flavor. Sensation was such a rare treat down there and mice were better than nothing.

Tick… the sound was interrupted. He strained to hear the clock but try as he might the sound was gone. He felt tears run down his face. A sensation he hadn’t felt since he had first been trapped. He groaned. The sound echoed chillingly throughout the cavern. He didn’t want out, he just wanted the clock.

“Tick, Tock.” After what seemed like an eternity he began to make the sound himself. The sound comforted him. Then he saw a light, the heavy stones that had blocked his exit were extracted. His sister stood before him covered in the blood of his captors.

He smiled, “Tick, tock,” was all he could say.

----

The Archmage stood before Debiles. His weak and aging body shook with the strain of holding itself upright. The staff of power that the Archmage clung to was more of a crutch than a powerful artifact. “Debiles.” His voice reminded Debiles of the rumbling of an avalanche. It was a sound he had heard once before but he couldn't quite place it.

No matter, I didn't schedule that memory. He dismissed his own thoughts.

“Mister Verum Latet, your time has come I’m afraid.” The ringing of the clock in his head felt like a metronome, timing his every action. He reminded himself to slow down. He was moving too fast in his excitement.

The ancient Archmage spat, “How much you don’t know. Ungrateful wretch.”

With impressive power and coordination the Archmage began to move, his hands were a blur of motion and his mouth ran through incantations faster than Debiles had thought was possible. Still against the plan, the Archmage would fail. Debiles knew the plan almost as well as the sound that played on repeat in his head.

Debiles’ watch chimed in again reminding him to step to the side as the enormous spear of ice flew through where he had been standing only milliseconds before. He quite liked his watch, his sister had given it to him shortly after he had escaped from his imprisonment. Another beep reminded him to drop to the floor as spinning disks of metal cut through the air over head.

He had choreographed his motions after years of studying the Archmage. Were he a normal man he would have lost count of the number of hapless assassins he had dispatched to this very room. Each had served to reveal the Archmage’s habits and each had died. It had taken forty two to put together the plan and it all depended on timing. Something Debiles was very good at.

The clock in his watch was based the osculations of Cesium, like a pendulum only far less prone to error. It was accurate to a degree even his time keeping abilities were envious of. The alarm rang again reminding him to roll to the side. Deep gouges were cut into the concrete that he had been laying upon by phantom forces. His watch was perfect, perhaps more so than the sound of clock in his head.

Another beep reminded him to cast his own magic. He had practiced this with his sister dozens of times and was completely confident in his own abilities. He mouthed the words and made the motions. Milliseconds passed as he waited for the telltale shimmer to begin, but nothing happened. His eyes widened as more milliseconds passed and no magical shield surrounded him. Then, a bolt of lightning pierced through his chest flinging him into the wall.

His face was contorted in surprise. Not sure of what had happened and paralyzed, he watched his sister pluck the feeble Archmage up with her own magics.

The mage struggled helplessly and glared at her. “I knew it. Debiles never had any magic.” Debiles had always wondered how his sister knew where he had been taken and why his magic seemed so irregular.

Fortis shrugged, “You figured it out too late father.” She smiled as she casually pulled off his arms and legs like a child ripping the wings off of an insect.

“Your act was quite perfect, I commend you.” The Archmage ceased his struggles and bowed to her magic.

Fortis smiled as she looked at her brother’s motionless body. “To think, all it took was a clock. It took me years to convince him that my magic was his own. Luckily rhythm isn’t that hard to learn.” With her final words she pulled apart the rest of her father’s body leaving behind only a fine bloody mist.

Debiles would have cried if he could, the sound of the clock was gone. It was a hell he was only forced to experience for a few moments before his dear sister finished him off.

elfdude fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet
Good thing: You have a clear story arc with a resolution.

elfdude posted:

Debiles smiled,. Hhis plan was coming together once again. He so loved the art.

“You, will never become the Archmage.” His quarry spat at him; even as his body was slowly being pulled apart atom by atom.

Debiles laughed, “My plan has already succeeded. You see minister, you were the final loose end to pluck out. Now the empire is mine.” With a snap of his Debiles'? The man could be disintegrating himself here. fingers the man before him disintegrated. The motes of energy that had formerly comprised his body annihilatinged themselves in brilliant flashes of light. In a moment it was over.

Debiles likes to gloat, doesn't he?

The green glow of his watches’watch's, unless there are more than one? backlight was the only light in the cavern but Debiles needed no light to see by. The magic that infused his body allowed him to see through the darkness. The radiation that permeated all things was more than enough for his eyes to see by. The last two sentences seem redundant. A faint beeping sound played out offrom his watches’watch's electronic speaker remindinged him that the minister needed to be dead by that moment.

This is where you introduce the key point of the story (everything is scheduled by his watch), but at this point it just confuses me. I'd like to see this reworked for clarity.

Right on time, he mused.

“Now what?” Fortis spoke behind him, shattering his reverie. Debiles tried not to snarl at her. It really wasn’t her fault butthat he hadn’t scheduled an opportunity for her to speak. He walked towards the end of the corridor where the minister’s personal transport to the Archmage’s chambers awaited him. The sound of his sister’s footfalls were irritatingly irregular. He had learned years ago to try and ignore that shortfall of hers,. Aafter all she had taught him magic.

The human will, such a peculiar thing, he thought. Unpredictable, resistant to routine and utterly unaware of time. To him time was precious.

“All in good time my sister,” Tick, tock, was the sound that played through his mind.

----

The sound of the clock was all that he could hear. Tick, tock. The sound seemed to obliterate every thought before it.

Was it a minute he had been locked up in the darkness? Was it a year? He couldn't be sure.

His train of thought was interrupted by the sound; Tick, tock. He felt a mouse brush his leg and immediately grabbed and bit into it. The warm juice exploded in his mouth and he savored the metallic flavor. Sensation was such a rare treat down there and mice were better than nothing.

Tick… the sound was interrupted. He strained to hear the clock but try as he might the sound was gone. He felt tears run down his face. A sensation he hadn’t felt since he had first been trapped. Sentence fragment. He groaned. The sound echoed chillingly throughout the cavern. He didn’t want out,; he just wanted the clock.

“Tick, Tock.” After what seemed like an eternity he began to make the sound himself. The sound comforted him. Then he saw a light,. Tthe heavy stones that had blocked his exit were extracted. His sister stood before him covered in the blood of his captors.

He smiled,. “Tick, tock,” was all he could say.

It took me a bit to realize this was a flashback.

----

The Archmage stood before Debiles. His weak and aging body shook with the strain of holding itself upright. The staff of power that the Archmage clung to was more of a crutch than a powerful artifact. “Debiles.” His voice reminded Debiles of the rumbling of an avalanche. It was a sound he had heard once before but he couldn't quite place it.

No matter,. I didn't schedule that memory. He dismissed his own thoughts.

“Mister Verum Latet, your time has come, I’m afraid.” The ringing of the clock in his head felt like a metronome, timing his every action. He reminded himself to slow down. He was moving too fast in his excitement.

With impressive power and coordination the Archmage began to move,. Hhis hands were a blur of motion and his mouth ran through incantations faster than Debiles had thought was possible. Still against the plan, the Archmage would fail. Does it go against the plan for the archmage to fail? Debiles knew the plan almost as well as the sound that played on repeat in his head.

Debiles’ watch chimed in again, reminding him to step to the side as the enormous spear of ice flew through where he had been standing only milliseconds before. He quite liked his watch,. Hhis sister had given it to him shortly after he had escaped from his imprisonment. Another beep reminded him to drop to the floor as spinning disks of metal cut through the air over head.

He had choreographed his motions after years of studying the Archmage. Were he a normal man he would have lost count of the number of hapless assassins he had dispatched to this very room. Each had served to reveal the Archmage’s habits and each had died. It had taken forty two to put together the plan and it all depended on timing. Something Debiles was very good at. Sentence fragment. “Debiles was very good at timing.” perhaps?

The clock in his watch was based the osculations of Cesium, like a pendulum only far less prone to error. It was accurate to a degree even his time keeping abilities were envious of. You worked this in for the prompt, but it could be cut now with no harm to the story at all. The alarm rang again, reminding him to roll to the side. Deep gouges were cut into the concrete that he had been laying upon by phantom forces. Passive voice. More active: “Phantom forces cut deep gouges into the concrete he had been laying on.”His watch was perfect, perhaps more so than the sound of clock in his head.

Another beep reminded him to cast his own magic. He had practiced this with his sister dozens of times and was completely confident in his own abilities. He mouthed the words and made the motions. Milliseconds passed as he waited for the telltale shimmer to begin, but nothing happened. His eyes widened as more milliseconds passed and no magical shield surrounded him. Then, a bolt of lightning pierced through his chest, flinging him into the wall.

His face was contorted in surprise. Not sure of what had happened and paralyzed, he watched his sister pluck the feeble Archmage up with her own magics.

The mage struggled helplessly and glared at her. “I knew it. Debiles never had any magic.” Debiles had always wondered how his sister knew where he had been taken and why his magic seemed so irregular. This is clumsy. If he'd always wondered, why do we only know it now? He was “completely confident” in his irregular abilities last paragraph.

Fortis shrugged,. “You figured it out too late father.” She smiled as she casually pulled off his arms and legs like a child ripping the wings off of an insect.

“Your act was quite perfect, I commend you.” The Archmage ceased his struggles and bowed to her magic. He's saying this with his arms and legs ripped off?

Fortis smiled as she looked at her brother’s motionless body. “To think, all it took was a clock. It took me years to convince him that my magic was his own. Luckily rhythm isn’t that hard to learn.” With her final words she pulled apart the rest of her father’s body leaving behind only a fine bloody mist.

Debiles would have cried if he could,. Tthe sound of the clock was gone. It was a hell he was only forced to experience for a few moments before his dear sister finished him off.

Refer to this useful link when you use (or don't use) commas.

I'm not sure what else to say about this. I'm having a really hard time getting engaged in it. I think some work on characterization would help. In this story the relationship between the viewpoint character and his sister could bring a lot of tension to the story if it was fleshed out a little. Is there any fondness there at all? Should we feel betrayed that she's been plotting against him?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Eh sure, I'll bite.

elfdude posted:

Debiles smiled,. His plan was coming together once again. He so loved the art.

“You, will never become the Archmage.” His quarry spat at him; even as his body was slowly being pulled apart atom by atom. [Starting in the middle of the action is good. Horrible Sci-fi channel movie quality lines are terrible however. The dramatic pause after the you is especially egregious. It's good to know people being torn apart on a molecular level have time for high quality zingers like this one I guess]

Debiles laughed, “My plan has already succeeded. You see minister, you were the final loose end to pluck out. Now the empire is mine.” [More cliche dialog, with a little info dump to boot.]With a snap of his fingers the man before him disintegrated. The motes of energy that had formerly comprised his body annihilating themselves in brilliant flashes of light. In a moment it was over.

The green glow of his watches’ backlight was the only light in the cavern but Debiles needed no light to see by. The magic that infused his body allowed him to see through the darkness. The radiation that permeated all things was more than enough for his eyes to see by. [Seriously? Not only is this just a bunch of telling, it's also repetitive and boring telling. Why did you tell us he can see in the dark three times?] A faint beeping sound played out of his watches' electronic speaker reminding him that the minister needed to be dead by that moment.

Right on time, he mused.

“Now what?” Fortis spoke behind him shattering his reverie. Debiles tried not to snarl at her.[In most cases it is better to focus on what a character does, not what they don't do. There are far better ways to show restrained annoyance/contempt/etc than this] It really wasn’t her fault but he hadn’t scheduled an opportunity for her to speak.[More telling] He walked towards the end of the corridor where the minister’s personal transport to the Archmage’s chambers awaited him. The sound of his sister’s footfalls were irritatingly irregular.[This is better, it shows something she does that annoys him particularly and ties into his time obsession. Do more things like that.] He had learned years ago to try and ignore that shortfall of hers, after all she had taught him magic.

The human will, such a peculiar thing, he thought. Unpredictable, resistant to routine and utterly unaware of time.[I don't think having the "evil wizard" wax philosophical is helping the story any here.] To him time was precious.[Redundant]

“All in good time my sister,” Tick, tock, was the sound that played through his mind.[More waxing philosophical plus beating around the bush in response to a simple question for no apparent reason.The dialog needs work in this piece across the board.]

----

His train of thought was interrupted by the sound; Tick, tock. He felt a mouse brush his leg and immediately grabbed and bit into it. The warm juice exploded in his mouth and he savored the metallic flavor. Sensation was such a rare treat down there and mice were better than nothing. [This was jarring, at first read I didn't realize this was something that happened in the past]

Tick… the sound was interrupted. He strained to hear the clock but try as he might the sound was gone. He felt tears run down his face. A sensation he hadn’t felt since he had first been trapped. He groaned. The sound echoed chillingly throughout the cavern. He didn’t want out, he just wanted the clock.

“Tick, Tock.” After what seemed like an eternity he began to make the sound himself. The sound comforted him. Then he saw a light, the heavy stones that had blocked his exit were extracted. His sister stood before him covered in the blood of his captors.

He smiled, “Tick, tock,” was all he could say.

----

No matter, I didn't schedule that memory. He dismissed his own thoughts.

“Mister Verum Latet, your time has come I’m afraid.” The ringing of the clock in his head felt like a metronome, timing his every action. He reminded himself to slow down. He was moving too fast in his excitement.

With impressive power and coordination the Archmage began to move, his hands were a blur of motion and his mouth ran through incantations faster than Debiles had thought was possible.[This sentence is clunky. Try to avoid stuff like "Began to X" and try not to put descriptive clauses before the action they are describing. For action simple direct language with the right verb can go a long way. Keep this in mind especially for things that are supposed to happen quickly or suddenly. Example: With impressive speed and determination he began to move down the hallway vs he ran down the hallway ] Still against the plan, the Archmage would fail. Debiles knew the plan almost as well as the sound that played on repeat in his head.

Debiles’ watch chimed in again reminding him to step to the side as the enormous spear of ice flew through where he had been standing only milliseconds before. He quite liked his watch, his sister had given it to him shortly after he had escaped from his imprisonment. Another beep reminded him to drop to the floor as spinning disks of metal cut through the air over head.

He had choreographed his motions after years of studying the Archmage. Were he a normal man he would have lost count of the number of hapless assassins he had dispatched to this very room. Each had served to reveal the Archmage’s habits and each had died. It had taken forty two to put together the plan and it all depended on timing. Something Debiles was very good at. [Redundant telling]

The clock in his watch was based the osculations of Cesium, like a pendulum only far less prone to error. [Meh, had issues with this use of Cesium which I detailed more below.It was accurate to a degree even his time keeping abilities were envious of. The alarm rang again reminding him to roll to the side. Deep gouges were cut into the concrete that he had been laying upon by phantom forces. His watch was perfect, perhaps more so than the sound of clock in his head.

Another beep reminded him to cast his own magic. He had practiced this with his sister dozens of times and was completely confident in his own abilities. He mouthed the words and made the motions. Milliseconds passed as he waited for the telltale shimmer to begin, but nothing happened. His eyes widened as more milliseconds passed and no magical shield surrounded him. Then, a bolt of lightning pierced through his chest flinging him into the wall.

His face was contorted in surprise. Not sure of what had happened and Paralyzed, he watched his sister pluck the feeble Archmage up with her own magics.

The mage struggled helplessly and glared at her. “I knew it. Debiles never had any magic.” Debiles had always wondered how his sister knew where he had been taken and why his magic seemed so irregular.

Fortis shrugged, “You figured it out too late father."[Revealing that the mage is their father now feels like a cheap ploy to try an add an extra twist to the story. It doesn't add anything] She smiled as she casually pulled off his arms and legs like a child ripping the wings off of an insect.

“Your act was quite perfect,. I commend you.” The Archmage ceased his struggles and bowed to her magic.

Fortis smiled as she looked at her brother’s motionless body. “To think, all it took was a clock. It took me years to convince him that my magic was his own. Luckily rhythm isn’t that hard to learn.” With her final words[More dialog that just reiterates stuff we already know] she pulled apart the rest of her father’s body leaving behind only a fine bloody mist.

Debiles would have cried if he could, the sound of the clock was gone. It was a hell he was only forced to experience for a few moments before his dear sister finished him off. [As others have said, you do have a resolution and that's good. Also I like that for him, the biggest tragedy is losing the clock and not the fact that he is going to die or he was betrayed by his sister. It shows how far gone he is.]

Well off the bat, I'd say there are serious issues with cliche and awkward dialog/thoughts. Also, there is too much redundancy and too much telling vs showing overall. The story definitely needs a few more editing passes to cut out extraneous bits.

For the record, I like the idea of the relationship between Debiles and his sister. The idea that he thinks hes the smart one while shes been pulling his strings all along has considerable potential. That said I think it could have been executed better. The twist at the end with her backstabbing him doesn't have any emotional weight because neither Debiles or Fortis have any real personality or chemistry. The only thing that I found interesting was the emotional connection Debiles had with the clock but that also doesn't really pay off either. You establish it firmly too late in the story and I think the fact that he works under a very precise timing would have to be the key to his downfall (in lieu of his sister just not casting magic on him) to really push this angle if you wanted to go that route.

The reveal in the end that the archmage is their father has zero emotional weight as well. It feels like a cheap and low effort way to throw in an extra twist at the end. Mind you I think it's fine that the archmage is their father but revealing it at the end in the story's current state doesn't accomplish much. In fact having it there at the start, and using the tyranny of their father as they see him to build a more sympathetic relationship between the two might have worked better. At least it would have given the eventual betrayal a bit more sting in the end.

I think you get into his watch obsession/isolation too late in the story as well. Given how prominent it is towards the end, this really should be one of the first things you hit us with. The dude was trapped in darkness for at least a year by his own father. Not to mention the whole ticking thing. If that's not a traumatic experience then I don't know what is. He is way too put together. I'm not saying you have to go too far but there should at least be some hints that he had been through a horrific experience. It should be evident to some extent in his behavior/thoughts/speech/etc. By the time you get into his entrapment in the flashback its too late, its too much of a tone shift and it feels false.

Also, while this is more of a "feel" thing, I don't really buy the Cesium bit as being key to the story. The watch could have easily been magic, or anything else and nothing would have changed. In fact you must have realized this because you took us out of the action towards the end so that you could tell us about the cesium in the clock. If you write it so that you have to explain a key concept after the fact in order for people to make the connection then what you have is not working. Mind you some amount of telling in scifi/fantasy to explain concepts is understandable but in a short story you don't have the same luxuries as a novel and you really need to keep the flat out telling of important plot details to a minimum.

What makes this worse is the fact that Cesium has so much potential in a story like this one where you have wizards using technology and is even titled modern magic. Cesium is a very notable element (one of the most volatile elements in existence) and none of your modern molecular splitting wizards had the idea to blow people up with it. It's low hanging fruit to be sure, and its fine to avoid that kind of thing but you need to make sure what you come up with is actually a better solution or people will wonder why you didn't go the easy way.

I do think there is a good story in there, but you'll have to chip away at it a bit to get it out. Focus on the relationships of the characters, give them more personality and make the betrayal at the end something with at least some emotional impact if you do choose to stay that route.

Best of luck!

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 13, 2014

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
My sense of grammar is instinctual not technical or logical which is problematic for understanding how to fix it. I feel like the guide you gave is helpful but to give a comparison I feel like it's akin to handing me an equation without understanding the algebraic operations it demands. One of the major difficulties I have isn't not knowing the technical comma rules, I understand the basics, but the fundamentals that those are based on are not entirely understood which leads to inappropriate usage of the rules in certain situations.

For example, the first thing I run into is trying to figure out what a clause is, this leads me into what a complete sentence is. While I understand what a verb and a noun is, or a subject and an action are, and to a lesser extent adjectives and adverbs, there exists a gap between the basic understanding of sentence structure and the more complicated sentences used in typical prose. I feel like if I could bridge that gap I could have a much more reliable understanding but I find it frustrating that guides are either spelling out those basics that I already understand or delving into clauses and etc without explaining what those are. I've made attempts to examine this but it's very easy to get lost in the weeds if you're not exactly sure what you're looking for, and I was hoping someone might have a bit more experience than I do could and could identify the gap.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, but it's the best way I can explain it.

As far as the prose itself, you've given me some awesome ideas on how to fix the writing. I'm glad to know that there's some inherent qualities which are solid within the story and I'm happy to rewrite the prose to better explain those.

elfdude fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 13, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

elfdude posted:

My sense of grammar is instinctual not technical or logical which is problematic for understanding how to fix it. I feel like the guide you gave is helpful but to give a comparison I feel like it's akin to handing me an equation without understanding the algebraic operations it demands. One of the major difficulties I have isn't not knowing the technical comma rules, I understand the basics, but the fundamentals that those are based on are not entirely understood which leads to inappropriate usage of the rules in certain situations.

For example, the first thing I run into is trying to figure out what a clause is, this leads me into what a complete sentence is. While I understand what a verb and a noun is, or a subject and an action are, and to a lesser extent adjectives and adverbs, there exists a gap between the basic understanding of sentence structure and the more complicated sentences used in typical prose. I feel like if I could bridge that gap I could have a much more reliable understanding but I find it frustrating that guides are either spelling out those basics that I already understand or delving into clauses and etc without explaining what those are. I've made attempts to examine this but it's very easy to get lost in the weeds if you're not exactly sure what you're looking for, and I was hoping someone might have a bit more experience than I do could and could identify the gap.

As far as the prose itself, you've given me some awesome ideas on how to fix the writing. I'm glad to know that there's some inherent qualities which are solid within the story and I'm happy to rewrite the prose to better explain those.

Instead of rewriting that story, write another one about the sister and the brother doing something before the events of the story.

I'll even give you a prompt: Any two of escaped animal, clouds inside, hunger, light blue.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 13, 2014

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet

elfdude posted:

Hopefully it's okay to go into this a bit here?

Elfdude, my understanding of grammar tends to be more "instinctive" too. The only real way I've found to improve that instinctive feeling is to read more. Pay attention to where the punctuation goes. I'm gathering what I know here from reading the sources I'm linking, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

A clause, according to OWL at Purdue is: "...a group of words that contains a subject and a verb..."

An independent clause is: "a group of words that contains a subject and verb and expresses a complete thought. An independent clause is a sentence."

An independent clause from your story is: "Debiles smiled." Another is: "his plan was coming together once again."

A dependent clause is: "A dependent clause is a group of words that contains a subject and verb but does not express a complete thought. A dependent clause cannot be a sentence." OWL goes on to talk about "Marker Words" which help you tell when something is a dependent clause.

Your main problem is comma splices. If two thoughts could be sentences on their own, do not connect them with a comma. Use either a period, a conjunction (and, but, etc.) or rarely a semicolon. The latest link talks more about that.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 14, 2014

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist

My god, I did not know the distinction between an independent clause and a dependent clause. That has simplified the whole problem immensely. Thank you! I'm exploring the website you gave me more thoroughly.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

elfdude posted:

My god, I did not know the distinction between an independent clause and a dependent clause. That has simplified the whole problem immensely. Thank you! I'm exploring the website you gave me more thoroughly.

Yeah. When in doubt just add a period. Also a big help is reading sentences out loud. This is, hands down, the best thing you can do. If you feel there should be a pause somewhere as you read the sentence out loud then look into putting a comma or a period there. (This will be a period more often then not unless it would fragment the sentence or hurt clarity. In that case, its either a comma or you need to re-write the sentence altogether. Essentially commas exist to help readability and clarity so don't be scared of them but sometimes a period or rewriting the sentence will be the better option. I don't mean to be too harsh about the comma because it's a good tool. But you can go ahead and throw semi-colons in the trash. There are uses for them but they are far too easy to screw up and it's not worth it.)

Mind you, my grammar is pretty instinctual as well and I make plenty of my own mistakes but I've gotten a lot better than I used to be. What helped me was trying to learn about other languages and trying to translate between the two languages. It helps you think about the language structurally and get used to breaking sentences apart. Like a non foreign language related exercise could involve just finding a big, but grammatically correct, sentence and putting a parenthesis around every clause. Once you are done, everything should be wrapped up except the main idea of that sentence. Do this a few times and you'll start to notice patterns and get a much stronger feel for what is a main idea vs an addendum to a main idea.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 14, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Palisader posted:

The Move
word count: 967

When I was eleven years old, I lived in Hong Kong.

Some people might take the time here to tell you that this opening sentence is relatively drab and boring. I wouldn't go so far, but what it does do is set up an expectation of a very clipped and matter-of-fact style. We'll see if you follow through.

In general, this isn't necessarily an exciting thing. Something close to 7 million people live in Hong Kong right now. Fly to Macau and proudly announce that you live in Hong Kong and you'll get a funny look and a gentle reminder of where the aquarium is.

This paragraph is poor in a number of respects. First off, you double-qualify your first statement "in general", "isn't necessarily" which makes it poor English, notwithstanding it being pretty asinine. The next few sentences are redundant and probably worth cutting. I don't understand the aquarium joke either.

Ask yourself what purpose this little intro serves. To establish that Hong Kong is, or to you at the time, an exciting place to live. Which you proceed to establish for a second time in the next paragraph. Cut it all.

At any rate, moving to Hong Kong was exciting Starts with another qualifier "at any rate", needlessly weakening your point.. Up to "until" would be the word I would use here that point I was, without a doubt Why even put this clause in? You are telling us the facts, we are taking you at face value. Stop qualifying your own statements., a tiny little southern girl living in a series of tiny little southern towns. Cute repetition. Worrying ambiguity due to use of present-past tense, where you are living in multiple towns at once. I didn't have a tiny little southern accent Aaaand milked it. to go along with it, but the same couldn't be said of my worldview. I lived in America This is redundant information, because you set up the previous sentence to imply that you have a little southern girl's worldview. Plus it kills flow. Let's leave flow for now.. To me, other countries were a bit like fairy tales—they existed, but possibly possibly only? STOP THIS MADNESS only in theory. To this day, I describe my move to Hong Kong as the best time of my life Another dicey use of English here. Literally, this sentence reads that the process of moving was the best of your life. You don't mean that, and I know it, but that is what it says. Something like: "To this day I still look on those days I spent in Hong Kong as the best in my life." Works better right?. Since then I've married and had a child, so it's not entirely true, I suppose. What is this instant backpedalling? Why do this? Don't set up your story then knock it down. But it was definitely the best thing that could have possibly happened to me at the time. Well, gee, maybe it was the second or third best, I dunno... NOPE. This stuff is anathema to writing. Don't hash out your inner thoughts in a piece that is telling a story about YOUR past. You tell US how it was, and still affects you. If I sit down to tell a story to somebody, I don't hem and haw and disagree with things I just said. It kills your pacing, and it makes the narrative far less impactful.

I can't really describe the experience. Try harder. One day I woke up and I was living on an island that you could drive across in one day This would work better if you set up the contradiction more clearly with your previous way of life. "One day it was X, the next Y" Not necessarily like that, but in that vein.. I saw buildings so high that it could rain and tops would stay dry A nice detail.. I saw open-air markets, shouting fishermen selling eels, silent temples, monsoons, and a shop that sold ivory figures of couples in poses from the Kama-Sutra that my mother definitely wouldn't let me inspect too closely. This strays too close to a shopping list. You're evoking feelings and imagery for your reader. "Open air markets" doesn't cut it. The final example of the figure shop breaks the plurality of the list by referring to a singular thing, which is improper in my eyes, and then you make it run on and on by being over-wordy which is also not good.

My mother, far too bored of housework to stay home for long, worked at the school that I attended, being one of the few places that didn't require either of us to know Cantonese. This meant two things—one, that she rode with me on the school bus every morning, a trip that took more than an hour, and two, that I would accompany her on weekends and holidays any time she had to go to the school for work related things. I didn't mind. I loved that school. Hong Kong International School it was called, and to this day I still remember how to say it in Mandarin. Well, that and I can count to 100 and say thank you. I would make the most polite Chinese accountant that there ever was. Pretty cringeworthy, if I'm honest.

This whole paragraph is not story. Not even worth my critiquing it. These are simple biographical details, which was not what the prompt was looking for. I suppose it introduces your mother as a character, but I get the feeling she is not going to come up again.

My best friend at the time was named Amy, and she was from Singapore. Her family had a sign up in their bathroom that was a list of all the things that could get you fined in Singapore. I asked her once if it was all really true. “Oh yes” she said, her eyes going wide “they're very strict there. You can't even buy gum!” I was shocked and horrified. I still wonder if that's true. Every time you chime in with your opinion in the present, you interrupt the story set in the past.

This reads like one of those "Write about yourself" assignments that a seven or eight year old might write. Possibly younger.

Sometimes, on the occasions when my mother would have to visit the school in order to work "on the occasions"? I thought she worked there., Amy would come with me in a concerted attempt to keep both of us out of trouble Doesn't make sense. Keep you out of trouble perhaps? Or is this implying she would also get in trouble if she stayed at home?. We'd occasionally disappear for a while and walk around, which wasn't considered 'getting in trouble'. We did that a lot, and nobody seemed to mind. It was a bit of a small town mentality, only in a city of 7 million people. Apparently crime like that just didn't happen.Crime like what? No reference for "that" anywhere.

On one occasion, we decided to investigate the large hill that stretched out behind the elementary school across the road, since there was a path there and really, why not? Don't use rhetorical questions like this. The path itself was an informal affair, and possibly long-forgotten, mostly overgrown in places Qualifiers! Qualifiers everywhere!. There were signs that it was set up intentionally, at least to a preteen—a log, mostly stripped of branches, placed across a crevice to make a perfect bridge, some brush cut away here and there. We were explorers! Really quite a non-sequitur exclamation. Tone shift from the very clinical description of the path. We took many extremely thought-provoking what? pictures of ourselves posing majestically on the side of a hill, or draped across the aforementioned log.

At first, we were sure we'd find treasure. After a while we became absolutely positive that we'd find treasure, because we had read far too many Nancy Drew books and by golly you don't just have a weather-beaten old path with no treasure! After a longer while we became absolutely convinced that we would, at some point, at least find the top of the hill. It was a very large hill.

"It was a very large hill"? Are you kidding me? Repetition of absolutely is jarring me as well. Would have preferred to see "at least" come before "at some point" as well, to make the meaning clearer.

And then we did. Ta-Daa...? Could have at least given "it was a large hill" some much needed mileage by making out it was a difficult climb or something. We reached the crest just as the sun was beginning to set, and it cast a glow across the whole of the world (below). And there, at the top, right as the path ended completely, was a tiny stone temple, about waist high. And if you bent down, which I did, inside of it you could see a tiny stone Buddha. Someone had placed an incense burner in front of him, and the ashy remains of a stick of incense were still there. The trail wasn't completely abandoned after all. Redundant information. Don't patronise your audience, they can work out that sort of thing.

“Come on,” said Amy “we have to get back.” She turned away from me with a bit of a sigh. There was no treasure, just a stupid stone Buddha.

Technically speaking, you shouldn't be straying from your narrative perspective at this point. We slip, only briefly, into Amy's mind. You should be consistent and just have it designated as your opinion/view on what she thought.

I stayed bent down and stared at him for a moment, the setting sun casting Buddha in a deep shadow. He smiled serenely at me. It was beautiful. Amy shouted at me again, and we left. Too abrupt.

I never went back.

I wonder if you really can't buy gum in Singapore. I wonder if it's still okay for two little girls to wander the streets of Hong Kong alone. I wonder how my life would have been different if I had never gone there. And I wonder if, sitting on top of a lonely hill behind an elementary school, there's still a tiny temple with a tiny Buddha statue, the wafting smoke of incense barely visible against the setting sun.

This is a reflection on the passage of time, and a kind of musing on perhaps the less-innocent times we seem to have today. Most of it is washed away by a flood of trivialities. There isn't really a story here and the writing level is very simplistic. I'd be tempted to chalk it down to getting into the little southern girl mindset if it wasn't so signposted that that was not your intention. In the cold light of day, this piece is like one of those anecdotes that goes nowhere, where somebody strings you along feeding you details only for them to conclude flatly, leaving you kind of confused.

This will probably seem overbearingly negative to you, and I suppose it is. Don't get too depressed about it though, because I think at least a fair few of your problems in this piece come from the fact that it was written almost more for yourself than for any audience which made it sort of inevitable that it would fall flat when presented to an audience.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Jeza posted:

This is a reflection on the passage of time, and a kind of musing on perhaps the less-innocent times we seem to have today. Most of it is washed away by a flood of trivialities. There isn't really a story here and the writing level is very simplistic. I'd be tempted to chalk it down to getting into the little southern girl mindset if it wasn't so signposted that that was not your intention. In the cold light of day, this piece is like one of those anecdotes that goes nowhere, where somebody strings you along feeding you details only for them to conclude flatly, leaving you kind of confused.

This will probably seem overbearingly negative to you, and I suppose it is. Don't get too depressed about it though, because I think at least a fair few of your problems in this piece come from the fact that it was written almost more for yourself than for any audience which made it sort of inevitable that it would fall flat when presented to an audience.

First off, thank you.

I'll admit that being needlessly wordy is a huge problem of mine, coupled with the fact that I haven't actually sat down and written anything in years. I'm actually damned proud of it, even if it was a weak entry. It was the first piece I've finished since probably '08.

The other major problem--from my perspective--is that I feel like I am terrible at dialogue, and end up avoiding it as much as possible. That's definitely one reason I ended up approaching the story in the way I did.

I'm skipping this week's Thunderdome because of life, but I will enter next week and I think I will force myself to write something that is dialogue heavy. Hopefully that will help me focus on streamlining things.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
never mind wrong thread

Martello fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 19, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JuniperCake posted:

But you can go ahead and throw semi-colons in the trash. There are uses for them but they are far too easy to screw up and it's not worth it.)

AH WILL FIGHT YOU SUH

Actually I agree, better to avoid semicolons until you start using them out of necessity. They are cool, but definitely get commas and clause length on lockdown first.

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
Hey there, so I decided to write a new part of the world that my modern magic story was set in in an attempt to focus on characterization and showing rather than telling based of Sebjomo's suggestion. I'll admit there's several parts where I definitely tell but I'm struggling to figure out the difference between the two concepts. I've been studying Stephen King and other guides to try and improve my writing and would appreciate some advice.

Modern Magic -

Her brow was furrowed deeply like a stalemate in the trenches of a battlefield. Fortis poured over the book of incantations her eyes were wide and it seemed like they were about to devour the book and every symbol and spell inside. If only it were that easy. After a few moments of studying intently she raised her hands and stood still. Like the conductor of an invisible orchestra, she centered herself, ready to weave her magic.

“Benecite spiritus,” She took a breath, attempting to force all of her concentration into the next phrase, “Et virtutis ignem!”

A blinding flash of light exploded from her fingertips throwing her back. She sat on the floor for a long moment staring her burnt fingers. A tear trailed down the porcelain stillness of her face. She blinked frantically, but try as she might the stillness of her face gave way to tears. Her face fell to her hands and her body shuddered as she fought back the sobs.

“You won’t get anywhere like that,” a voice laughed. The sound surprised her and she stood up as quickly as she could wiping her tears on her sleeve. The sound seemed to be emanating from everywhere at once. Staring at her feet, she let her long hair fall in front of her face to hide her growing embarrassment.

He always watched her. He always mocked her. She picked up a crystal lacrima and threw it at the wall, her frustration boiling out of her as violently as her failed spell. The lacrima slowed, and stopped just before the impact. Slowly, it fell to the floor. She bit her lip hard enough to taste iron, if her glare could pierce magical barriers she would have already been free. Nothing could touch the walls, nothing could touch the door. Her room was her prison.

Fortis pulled her legs up to her chin and sat on her bed. Amongst the seemingly endless room she was like a grain of sand. Her bed and desk were lined with the tomes of power, their covers glittering with endlessly changing and shifting glyphs. Other than the room, and the books, everything she had she had created herself. “Some ‘training’,” she spat the words to the unseen observer.

She had lost all sense of time in her prison. The only thing which told her how long she had been in the room was the length of her hair. The black locks fell in shambles below her back caked with the oils of her unwashed body. She ran her fingers through it pulling at some of the many knots. She daydreamed briefly about taking a bath. She didn’t mind her appearance, but craved the comfort of the warm liquids washing over her body. It would be luxurious as the water took away with it the years of grime.

She gazed out across her nearly featureless room. Other than her bed, desk, spell-books and the magically sealed door there were few things to draw attention. Black marks littered the otherwise pristine floors where she had failed countless other spells. She bit her lip again and sucked at the fresh taste of blood, it was her only tangible reminder that she was still alive.

Suddenly, as if deciding something she stood up and walked back to her spell books. She knew every page of the books well and in them were the words of power to evoke just about any idea she could think of. Assuming she possessed the skill to actually do so. She flipped to the page titled Annutitae, on it were scrawled all sorts of moving pictures of creatures and objects. The book responded to her thoughts and the page shifted as she focused on what she wanted.

“Adduc aquae ferventis.” This time, her magic responded to her will and water began to bead on her fingertips. To the untrained observer they might have thought she was dripping sweat, and true the summoned water did taste of her oily skin, but soon the beads of water coalesced into an invisible chalice. There was just enough to satiate her thirst. Her face grew hard and her eyes looked at the substance with a vacant expression, their light burned low as the power of her magic sapped her strength.

After taking a deep breath her eyes began to burn again and she strained. Her mind struggled to maintain the concentration, and every muscle in her body felt like it was boiling. Sweat dripped from her temples, actual sweat this time. Slowly she bent down to the cup floating before her and took a deep sip of water. She swallowed with some difficulty then fell to the floor, her chest heaved deeply as she tried to catch her breath.

“It still takes you that long to summon water?” The voice again teased her. She didn’t have the energy to make her usual token gestures of defiance. All she could do was close her fist tightly and imagine the sense of satisfaction that she would feel punching that person.

The voice sighed, “Why would you imagine punching me?” The voice sounded tired with her, as though even communicating with her was a fruitless endeavor. She wished it would give up if that were the case and let her go.

“If you have energy to keep imagining improbable outcomes why not imagine obliterating me with magic?” She attempted to keep her thoughts defiant but couldn’t help but admit the truth of its words. Magic was evoked through will, and the fact that after however many years she had been locked in that prison it hadn’t become a part of her psyche was telling. Imagining doing something physically was as ineffective as an individual thinking in one language while trying to be fluent enough to speak another.

“No matter, your brother will begin his training soon. Perhaps Debiles will prove a more talented pupil than you will.” Hope dawned in her mind, and like a rising sun the rays of light chased away all of her doubts. If he had a successor that was different than herself, perhaps she would be free of this prison.

Laughter echoed in the chamber, “You are not my first failure, tell me did you ever know of your older siblings?”

She didn’t of course. It was obvious that if they ever had really existed they had been left to rot to whatever training the voice had employed before she had started her own. The realization that she would languish for eternity in the prison dawned on her. Her eyes felt like they were being assaulted by hot pokers, threatening to unleash a torrent of her hard earned water. She would either grow powerful enough to break the barrier or live in that room until she finally died.

Bracing her knees with her hands she slowly stood up and held out her hand, “Benecite spiritus,” her eyes narrowed in concentration. It seemed she didn’t have it in her to die yet, at least not before she killed the voice. She would be free, and he would die before her, “Et virtutis ignem!”

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Elfdude, I am critting it but I might fall asleep and not finish:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ejy7C2alDZg6MjPJW6tDfzWvIvQp25pYb0Un0ZPX3P0/edit?usp=sharing

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
You are lovely, and I can't believe how patient you are. I thought I knew what a dependent clause was. I was clearly quite wrong. It's nice to see every example pointed out like that, and I can start to understand why it would annoy someone. Thank you for helping me delineate what showing is vs telling. I'm rewriting it as your comments come up, and I think I can do a lot better.

<3 Seriously, you just made my night.

Edit:

Revised mark II: https://docs.google.com/a/pdx.edu/document/d/1Slc49xywlgcpGup-oSaK0LhGW1UbMinvH1xLESkB57o/edit

I feel like I made some pretty good changes in a lot of areas. I've read it aloud a few times, but I'm still in the habit of reading my words as grammatically correct. I guess I'm a better speaker than writer. Anyways, I hope this is better.

elfdude fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 26, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Just to play some devil's advocate, and to remind everybody that one writer's way isn't the ONLY way.

Erogenous Beef posted:

Your character makes no significant choices during the story itself.

choices don't always have to be positive action. His character is angry at his parents and picks up a vase intending to smash it, and then doesn't. While not handled particularly well, this represents a conflict/choice. It does show some character growth in the fact that he JUST MURDERED SOME CREDITORS, but more of the beginning should have been focused on him not handling his impulses. Still, with the set up, to say there's "no significant choice" made is not technically true.

Erogenous Beef posted:

On both a macro- and micro-level, a plot follows a “tick-tock” structure.
[...]
This is often called a motivation-reaction unit (MRU).

what. neither of these are "common" or particularly useful. A google search for "tick tock writing" returns info on the kesha song and deadlines. I won't even start on hitting somebody with an acronym that you never use again. The jargon is totally unneeded.

Erogenous Beef posted:

Your story consisted of a lot of “character does something, thinks about it, does something else, thinks about it.” It's a bunch of actions, but those actions are not acting against any apparent Character Problem.

Um, it's pretty clear that his character's problem is that he just murdered a fool. Just because he didn't write about it explicitly doesn't mean it's not there. It's an existential crisis of sort. Not every single aspect of the story has to be labeled or "on screen."

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/?story=403

Here's a story by sebmojo that many consider to be quite good. It suffers from the same "problems" you say elfdude does. Writing to fill in your formula is ONE way to write a story, not the ONLY way.

The beginning of elf-dude's piece is actually not that bad. I think it sets a good tone, and introduces us to the character. However the ending is horrid. This is mostly because the main character is passive after the phone rings. things that happen to him solve the story, not himself. Still, with a tweaked ending where he like fixes something his dad never fixed or something it could be a decent piece. That is not to say it's without its problems, but not fitting into your formula isn't one of them.

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
It's difficult to understand the issue inherent in the ending. The ending's point was that the character just killed a bunch of people for no reason, or rather that the reason he thought he had wasn't real. I don't know what the character can solve. The contract has no bearing other than it is invalid.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

crabrock posted:

Just to play some devil's advocate, and to remind everybody that one writer's way isn't the ONLY way.

Totally cool, and sure, there's more than one way to do this thing.

quote:

what. neither of these are "common" or particularly useful. A google search for "tick tock writing" returns info on the kesha song and deadlines. I won't even start on hitting somebody with an acronym that you never use again. The jargon is totally unneeded.

The tick-tock analogy I included because I figured it'd be helpful. I didn't say it was a common analogy - I wrote the explanation on the spot to illustrate a concept: a story is repeated cycle of characters grappling with problems. The stakes and scale of the problem(s) grow over the course of the story - that's "rising action". The final resolution of the problem (whether positive or negative) is the "climax". Those are certainly common terms.

The MRU is easily Googlable and brings up >1000 articles explaining the concept. Just because you're not familiar with it doesn't make it "uncommon", dude.

As for not being useful, sorry, I completely disagree. I think it's a useful framework for structuring clear writing, and it's helped me out. Is it the only way to do it? No, of course not, but trying different tools when you're learning to write is vital to developing your own process.

quote:

Here's a story by sebmojo that many consider to be quite good. It suffers from the same "problems" you say elfdude does.

I disagree. Sebmojo's story's climax is the reveal of the murder; it's a vignette predicated on a slow, creeping realization that a murder has occurred. Elfdude's story starts out with the murder in plain sight and then fails to grapple with it.

Edit: ^^^^

elfdude posted:

It's difficult to understand the issue inherent in the ending. The ending's point was that the character just killed a bunch of people for no reason, or rather that the reason he thought he had wasn't real.

"Difficult to understand" - as a writer, clarity is your job. If you have to explain the point, you failed. Write another story and try again.

quote:

I don't know what the character can solve. The contract has no bearing other than it is invalid.

Since this story's conflict was internally focused, you could develop the character's obvious mental instabilities (how does he overcome his rage issues?) or the character coming to terms with his relationship with his father (does he resent his old man? this is hinted at, but should be drawn out more).

As Crabrock said, the big problem with the ending is that the solution comes from outside - the character himself did not have to come to terms with his own problem, nor was he destroyed by the mistakes he'd made.

Erogenous Beef fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 26, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

elfdude posted:

It's difficult to understand the issue inherent in the ending. The ending's point was that the character just killed a bunch of people for no reason, or rather that the reason he thought he had wasn't real. I don't know what the character can solve. The contract has no bearing other than it is invalid.

yeah dude, I get that. it's just bad because it's passive. like he didn't need to do anything to bring about the ending other than lift up the phone. and right, there's nothing for the character to solve, because you didn't write anything for him to solve.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

elfdude posted:

Revised mark II: https://docs.google.com/a/pdx.edu/document/d/1Slc49xywlgcpGup-oSaK0LhGW1UbMinvH1xLESkB57o/edit

I feel like I made some pretty good changes in a lot of areas. I've read it aloud a few times, but I'm still in the habit of reading my words as grammatically correct. I guess I'm a better speaker than writer. Anyways, I hope this is better.

No way to tell until you make it visible to anyone with the link and enable comments.

Just out of curiosity - anyone who posted things earlier in the thread have updates on progress with those pieces? Great Rumbler still following this?

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Slc49xywlgcpGup-oSaK0LhGW1UbMinvH1xLESkB57o/edit?usp=sharing

My bad, didn't realize how google docs worked.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So, I'm real bad at writing characters. I have trouble with distinctive dialogue, and I feel that I don't portray characters as animated people that you can really visualize, track their positions and movement. The following is a section from my latest story that I believe highlights my difficulty. To give a synopsis, Roger is a high-minded FBI agent, a real principled knight errant sort. George is George Metesky, the Mad Bomber, but in this story he's a plant placed to throw Roger off the trail of the Consolidated Edison company. George is a damaged person, but not in the manner that he's playing at being; he enjoys acting a little too much, and it betrays his real derangement. Frank is a diner cook who is also in the employ of Con Ed. He's brisk but furtively intelligent.

The three of them are otherwise alone at a gas station diner in rural New York. George has given himself up and is being amicably arrested by Roger. I'll break this into two quotes- you can skip the first one if you care to, I almost didn't include it because it's meandering and it's got some real bad parts that need to be heavily edited or removed. The second quote on its own didn't give a lot to work with, though.

quote:

Inside, the diner was nearly vacant. The broad-shouldered cook regarded him with a quiet nod. At the other end of the room, a young man sat in a booth, smoking a cigarette and staring at the table. Roger took a seat at the counter. “I’ll take a cup of coffee, please.”

The cook eyed him. “Ten cents.”

Roger reached back into his pocket, taking his wallet in hand. “Could you make change for a dollar?” He asked, placing the note onto the counter.

The cook frowned, turning his eyes up from the dollar back to Roger. “Sorry mister. We don’t take green money, here.”

Roger looked up at him. “Pardon?” The man from the booth had gotten up, and stood beside them now. He placed a coral pink banknote upon the counter.

“This one’s on me, friend. You’re not from around here, right?” He smiled. “I knew it. Come on over and sit with me, will ya?”

Roger took a seat across from his sponsor. The man was wearing khaki pants, polished black shoes, and a white collared shirt with the sleeves rolled past the elbow. His hair was sandy blonde, and his eyes a steely blue. There was something wrong with them; it was like he couldn’t see you, as if he were looking over your shoulder instead of at you. He looked back at the counter, before explaining, “They only take Conners, here. Same as everywhere in town.”

“It’s company scrip?”

“They say it’s so we don’t have to pay out in taxes, or something like that.” He bit his bottom lip, looking away for a moment. “You’re with the government, aren’t you?”

Roger nodded. “My name is Roger Keyes. I’m with the Bureau.”

The man rocked his upper body back and forth, clasping his hands together. “Oh, I knew it when I seen you. I knew you’d come- I’ve been here, waiting, because everybody what comes into town stops here first.” He raised his voice. “I’ve been here every day, haven’t I Frank?”

“Day and night”, answered the cook.

He leaned in closer, lowering his tone once more. “You came looking for the bomber. And you’ve found him. My name is George Metesky, sir, and I’d like to commit myself to justice.”

Roger took a sip from his coffee, looking to George from across the dark surface of the mug. He’d been on the case for years, and to have the perpetrator land so cleanly in his lap- it didn’t seem right. “You’ve been doing an adequate job of covering your tracks this far- seems to me like you didn’t want to be found. Why the change of heart?”

“When I sent that letter, about the war, I did mean it, you know. It was just a ceasefire. But after a while, I started to realize- I am very sick, sir. I’ve done terrible things, and I need to be made to pay. It was like I couldn’t see it, before. Like a haze.”

“Why’d you start?” (Roger wouldn't ask this. He's been on this case for a long time- Metesky was never coy about his motive.)

“Because. Consolidated Edison hurt me. I gave years of my life to them, and, and there was an accident. My workstation exploded. I breathed in something bad. Look here. A part of the machine flew off and took a bite out of me.” George leaned over the table, pulling down on the neck of his shirt to reveal a peculiar burn mark on his collarbone, a ring with a circle in the center, and a single cross breaking the ring. “I was never the same. They kicked me out on my rear end. Wouldn’t pay my worker’s comp. Ignored me when I wrote to the higher-ups. They pressured my coworkers to perjure against me in court. I couldn’t work, couldn’t even think- I started going wrong, after all that.”

“So Consolidated Edison betrayed you. What’s that got to do with bombing theaters and phone booths?”

“Oh, well. Something broke in me, Mr. Keyes- that wrath that welled up inside me, it just kept on coming. I struck out at everyone.” He took a moment to regain his composure, drawing a measured breath.

“After I die, Mr. Keyes, tell them to open my head. You’ll find that a little part of my brain is withered and dead.”

Roger watched George from across the table. He studied the man, who curled in toward himself as he rubbed granules of sugar between his fingertips. He tried to picture him, sitting in a workshop and wiring bombs, pasting newspaper clippings into raving threats, speeding towards the city with hate in his heart and a caustic payload in his trunk. (Terrible. There should be a moment of observation here, for sure, but it has to be better than this.) George picked up a fork, and began to poke at the power outlet with the prongs of it.

“You know, there’s two kinds of electric power, alternating current and direct current. Nowadays, almost everything’s on AC. But there are still some places that use DC, mostly in Europe. Con Ed still supports some DC grids; you’ve gotta have two sets of equipment for everything, it’s ridiculous, drags the whole operation down. Who knows, with the war going on, all those American boys coming over, American radios, American hot plates- maybe the balance of power is shifting.” He smiled. (Tangential; the title of this story is 'The War of the Currents', and it is linked to WWII, but this may not be relevant enough to justify.)

quote:

Roger finished his coffee. “Well, Mr. Metesky. I think it’s time to go. Would you stand, please?” Roger stood, and George followed.

Roger took the set of handcuffs from the front-right pocket of his overcoat, fixing them upon George’s wrists. “Just a formality, Mr. Metesky. You’re being placed under arrest by the power of the federal government. You’ll be rendered to Jefferson Market to await trial. Do you understand the charges being brought against you?”

As Roger spoke, he ran his hands over George’s body, searching his pockets and patting down his shirt. “Yes, sir,” answered George.

Roger stood behind George and began to walk him towards the door, when something caught his eye. Behind the counter, Frank was speaking into a CB radio set. “Are you there, Karen? That milk delivery should be here before sunup, so be ready to put it away when it gets here, alright?”

Roger looked over to where the radio had been set, by the glass-domed cake plates. “That’s a pretty serious set you’ve got, there. Something wrong with the telephone?”

“Mhm,” Frank nodded. He stuck his thumb out, as if to indicate Ogdensburg. “Back in town, the copper miners have been on strike. Ugly business. Holed up in the mine during the day, won’t let anybody in. Only come out at night to raise hell. Some of them cut the phone lines just a while back.”

“Why would they do that?”

“Why would they do anything they do? Your guess is as good as mine.”

Roger’s brow creased. “Well, have a nice evening, mister.” (I don't really know how to describe what I want here. Roger is thinking about it, and I want his action to reflect that, but this just isn't good.)

George smiled. “So long, Frank.”

Frank gave another nod. “Take care of yourself, George.”

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This isn't the kind of thing I usually read, but it seemed pretty good to me. Even though it's just two people sitting there talking, I still felt like reading it to the end. The little details like the pink notes and imagining the calm bomber being a crazy bomber worked for me. I didn't get too much characterization out of the cop guy though.

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet
Apparently my thunderdome this week had a weak ending compared to the rest, so I did some rewriting. For anyone who read the original, am I going in the right direction?

For anyone else, how's the ending?

Christi dumps her tray into the trashcan slowly, looking to see what's gone in before. There's half a cookie and a packet of chips, and with her broad body in the way, she can reach in and grab them without anyone noticing.

She's eaten all they've given her, but she's always hungry. She watches herself wrap her salvaged goods in a napkin and stuff them in her sweatshirt pocket, hating it. Hating herself. There's still time before math to find a quiet place to eat.

There's something on the chip bag that's sticky and smelly. She wants to throw it away again. She wants to puke when she pulls her hand from her pocket and sees the trashcan slime on it. She wants to stuff all the chips into her mouth before she's caught.

Christi makes herself walk to the bathroom. She has to pee, but she can't wait that long; there's food in her pockets and she can feel it itching at the back of her mind. She makes herself wash her hands slowly, meticulously. She glances under each door to make sure she's alone.

When she pulls the chips from her pocket she breaks. She wants to throw the food out again. She wants to wash the sticky mess off the bag. Instead she watches herself pinch the corners, reach in, stuff them into her mouth all in one big handful. In the mirror her face is speckled with bits of chip and grease. Crumbs fall on her sweatshirt and stick there, staining it.

She has the cookie into her mouth when the door opens. She chews fast, trying to swallow it, but the chip bag is still on the counter and her mouth is still full when the two girls come in. “Oooh, look,” the first says. “It's the harpy. Come to stuff your face?”

“Look what she's got. Did you pull that out of the trash, harpy?”

“She can't answer, look. Her mouth's full of trash!” the girls make theatrical gagging noises that set off Christi's own gag reflex. She swallows dry cookie and nausea. Throwing up isn't an option; it's just past noon and she doesn't know when she'll get to eat again. Not until lunch tomorrow if her dad finds out she's been stealing treats.

So she swallows and doesn't puke and doesn't cry, because there's no tears left. “Harpy, harpy,” they call her, while she washes her hands and keeps her eyes down so she doesn't see their pretty, thin faces in the mirror. She wishes her class had never studied the mythical vulture-women with their insatiable appetites and their stink.

By afternoon it's all over the school that Christi the Harpy is eating out of the trash again. High, shrieking cries follow her through the hallways, and people cover their noses when she walks by.

The history teacher is late, and two boys in front of her open a package of candy and share it. She watches each piece from the bag to their mouths and tries it ignore the way they look at her and laugh. She bites her tongue until it bleeds, but she can't stop the words tumbling out. “Can I have one? Please?” There's a nasty whine on the please, and oh god she wants to die.

“Go buy your own,” they say, and turn their backs to her. She imagines herself jumping over her desk, grabbing their hair, and smashing their smug, fit faces into the table. She imagines stealing their candy. Instead she opens her history book and tries to shut out the sounds of the bag rustling, of chewing and swallowing. She thinks she can hear the sugar melting on their tongues.

She sees the package of crackers first, slipped onto the open page of her book. Then she notices the small, quiet girl sitting next to her. “Listen,” the girl says, as Christi tears open the crackers and puts two in her mouth. “I don't know why you eat out of the trash, but you've got to have a reason. I just wanted to tell you...I talk to the counselor. And it helps. Maybe it'll help you, too.”

Christi tries to answer, but the crackers are dry and sticky with peanut butter, all at once. By the time she swallows enough to mumble, “Thanks,” the teacher's there.

The boys throw the last few candies at her after class. They bounce off her face and hit the floor. She's on her knees scrabbling after them before she's even realizes what happened. Above her she hears, “Look at the harpy, crawling on the floor like a dog. Did someone drop some trash, harpy?” Her tears fall on the backs of her hands.

She thinks of being hungry all night. She picks up the candy and puts in in her mouth, to the squeals and gags of the crowd. At this level she can see the legs of the chairs. One's missing a foot, ending in jagged, sharp metal. She imagines shoving it into the boys' face. Even the imagined blood makes her feel sick. Maybe she can hit herself so hard she'll pass out.

With the three candies in her mouth like little sugary bits of courage, she stands up. She doesn't see the crowd through her tears; doesn't hear them through the ringing in her ears. They're background buzzing, like classes, like everything that isn't the hunger and the fear.

She walks past the chair. The counselor's office is downstairs. The sugar melts across her tongue slowly. She'll make it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anathema Device posted:

Apparently my thunderdome this week had a weak ending compared to the rest, so I did some rewriting. For anyone who read the original, am I going in the right direction?

For anyone else, how's the ending?

Christi dumps her tray into the trashcan slowly, looking to see what's gone in before. There's half a cookie and a packet of chips, and with her broad body in the way, she can reach in and grab them without anyone noticing.

She's eaten all they've given her, but she's always hungry. She watches herself wrap her salvaged goods in a napkin and stuff them in her sweatshirt pocket, hating it. Hating herself. There's still time before math to find a quiet place to eat.

There's something on the chip bag that's sticky and smelly. She wants to throw it away again. She wants to puke when she pulls her hand from her pocket and sees the trashcan slime on it. She wants to stuff all the chips into her mouth before she's caught.

Christi makes herself walk to the bathroom. She has to pee, but she can't wait that long; there's food in her pockets and she can feel it itching at the back of her mind. She makes herself wash her hands slowly, meticulously. She glances under each door to make sure she's alone.

When she pulls the chips from her pocket she breaks. She wants to throw the food out again. She wants to wash the sticky mess off the bag. Instead she watches herself pinch the corners, reach in, stuff them into her mouth all in one big handful. In the mirror her face is speckled with bits of chip and grease. Crumbs fall on her sweatshirt and stick there, staining it.

She has the cookie into her mouth when the door opens. She chews fast, trying to swallow it, but the chip bag is still on the counter and her mouth is still full when the two girls come in. “Oooh, look,” the first says. “It's the harpy. Come to stuff your face?”

“Look what she's got. Did you pull that out of the trash, harpy?”

“She can't answer, look. Her mouth's full of trash!” the girls make theatrical gagging noises that set off Christi's own gag reflex. She swallows dry cookie and nausea. Throwing up isn't an option; it's just past noon and she doesn't know when she'll get to eat again. Not until lunch tomorrow if her dad finds out she's been stealing treats.

So she swallows and doesn't puke and doesn't cry, because there's no tears left. “Harpy, harpy,” they call her, while she washes her hands and keeps her eyes down so she doesn't see their pretty, thin faces in the mirror. She wishes her class had never studied the mythical vulture-women with their insatiable appetites and their stink.

By afternoon it's all over the school that Christi the Harpy is eating out of the trash again. High, shrieking cries follow her through the hallways, and people cover their noses when she walks by.

The history teacher is late, and two boys in front of her open a package of candy and share it. She watches each piece from the bag to their mouths and tries it ignore the way they look at her and laugh. She bites her tongue until it bleeds, but she can't stop the words tumbling out. “Can I have one? Please?” There's a nasty whine on the please, and oh god she wants to die.

“Go buy your own,” they say, and turn their backs to her. She imagines herself jumping over her desk, grabbing their hair, and smashing their smug, fit faces into the table. She imagines stealing their candy. Instead she opens her history book and tries to shut out the sounds of the bag rustling, of chewing and swallowing. She thinks she can hear the sugar melting on their tongues.

She sees the package of crackers first, slipped onto the open page of her book. Then she notices the small, quiet girl sitting next to her. “Listen,” the girl says, as Christi tears open the crackers and puts two in her mouth. “I don't know why you eat out of the trash, but you've got to have a reason. I just wanted to tell you...I talk to the counselor. And it helps. Maybe it'll help you, too.”

Christi tries to answer, but the crackers are dry and sticky with peanut butter, all at once. By the time she swallows enough to mumble, “Thanks,” the teacher's there.

The boys throw the last few candies at her after class. They bounce off her face and hit the floor. She's on her knees scrabbling after them before she's even realizes what happened. Above her she hears, “Look at the harpy, crawling on the floor like a dog. Did someone drop some trash, harpy?” Her tears fall on the backs of her hands.

She thinks of being hungry all night. She picks up the candy and puts in in her mouth, to the squeals and gags of the crowd. At this level she can see the legs of the chairs. One's missing a foot, ending in jagged, sharp metal. She imagines shoving it into the boys' face. Even the imagined blood makes her feel sick. Maybe she can hit herself so hard she'll pass out.

With the three candies in her mouth like little sugary bits of courage, she stands up. She doesn't see the crowd through her tears; doesn't hear them through the ringing in her ears. They're background buzzing, like classes, like everything that isn't the hunger and the fear.

She walks past the chair. The counselor's office is downstairs. The sugar melts across her tongue slowly. She'll make it.

I think the issue is the turn, and this is still lacking. You do an excellent job of sketching out her world, her rest state, but what is it that takes her out of that rest state? How is that a consequence of who she is? Plus the quiet girl and the counsellor are both non-entities so that doesn't help.

Maybe you should try and extend it; it doesn't have to be this length, after all. Take us with Christi to the counsellor, I'd like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

Maybe you should try and extend it; it doesn't have to be this length, after all. Take us with Christi to the counsellor, I'd like to know more.

This is great advice. Thunderdome is awesome and everything (obvs, since I founded it) but it's meant to push your skills by giving you extreme low wordcount limits. Typically a story you want to get sold should be up around 5000 words. That gives you much more room to breathe, expand the plot, and let the characters do their thing.

• Locked thread