Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Saint Celestine posted:

Isn't this the same book where the author claims that the battlecruiser design was sound?

It was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Armor's something I'm gonna have to address in my game, both in terms of assigning mass for a given thickness of armor / size of ship, and in terms of determining its effectiveness. It's tempting to just say "more armor gives you more HP" but I feel like I can't ignore the fact that small shells become almost entirely useless against thick enough armor. Would anyone care to recommend a resource on how well different weapons fared against various thicknesses / types of armor?

Relatedly, I want to have at least one armor technology upgrade over the course of the game (which would just blanket make your ships hardier, since I'm not concerned about price or logistics). It seems like at the start of WWII everyone was using cemented Krupp armor, and towards the end rolled homogeneous armor became a thing for protection against oblique hits. Are there any other WWII-era armor developments I ought to be aware of?

In unrelated news, I stumbled across this analysis of the Siege of Gondor from Tolkien's Return of the King, examining the logistics, strategy, tactics, weaponry, and mentality of the two sides in both the book and the film. It's well-written and quite interesting to me as a knowlessman of medieval siege warfare.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Armor's something I'm gonna have to address in my game, both in terms of assigning mass for a given thickness of armor / size of ship, and in terms of determining its effectiveness. It's tempting to just say "more armor gives you more HP" but I feel like I can't ignore the fact that small shells become almost entirely useless against thick enough armor. Would anyone care to recommend a resource on how well different weapons fared against various thicknesses / types of armor?

Relatedly, I want to have at least one armor technology upgrade over the course of the game (which would just blanket make your ships hardier, since I'm not concerned about price or logistics). It seems like at the start of WWII everyone was using cemented Krupp armor, and towards the end rolled homogeneous armor became a thing for protection against oblique hits. Are there any other WWII-era armor developments I ought to be aware of?

In unrelated news, I stumbled across this analysis of the Siege of Gondor from Tolkien's Return of the King, examining the logistics, strategy, tactics, weaponry, and mentality of the two sides in both the book and the film. It's well-written and quite interesting to me as a knowlessman of medieval siege warfare.

Theres a bunch of stuff here - http://www.navweaps.com/index_nathan/index_nathan.php

Its a lot to read through though.

You also have to consider the angle as well. Since past a certain distance, you're firing up, so your shells are coming down almost vertically, and thus hitting the deck armor, not the main belt armor.

Then theres concepts of immunity zones, where your ship is essentially "immune" to hits under a certain caliber. Obviously not the superstructure, but your main parts.

Edit: This link has more information about Naval armor than I've seen anywhere else online - http://www.navweaps.com/index_nathan/metalprpsept2009.php

Then this gives you ideas of penetration values - http://www.navweaps.com/index_nathan/Hstfrmla.php

Edit 2: Small shells are useless against thick enough armor though. Thats why you aim for the superstructure and not the main belt.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 2, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This was great, and the conclusion's remark on how it seems that many people don't really have their head around how most pitched military battles end in a rout rather than a massacre of all enemy forces has stuck with me. I wonder if that contributes some to the us/them perspective in a lot of other fields, where it's like the only concievable outcome is horrible annihilation of one side or the other - because (thank god) people do not have much direct experience of "real" battle, or in many cases even a plausible substitute like field games.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

You could look into the way world of warships handles armour and penetration mechanics. A lot of things matter in the warships model; the type of shell being fired, what part of the ship it hits, the angle it hits at, whether or not the shell penetrates (or overpenetrates), you name it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nessus posted:

This was great, and the conclusion's remark on how it seems that many people don't really have their head around how most pitched military battles end in a rout rather than a massacre of all enemy forces has stuck with me. I wonder if that contributes some to the us/them perspective in a lot of other fields, where it's like the only concievable outcome is horrible annihilation of one side or the other - because (thank god) people do not have much direct experience of "real" battle, or in many cases even a plausible substitute like field games.

The Total War series actually does this quite well - having Calvary left after routing an army in battle is the difference between that army retreating but all the units staying alive and annihilating enemy units and armies. It's not the best, but it does at least try to show the importance of that even many players just mash "End Battle"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The Total War series actually does this quite well - having Calvary left after routing an army in battle is the difference between that army retreating but all the units staying alive and annihilating enemy units and armies. It's not the best, but it does at least try to show the importance of that even many players just mash "End Battle"
Do you mean either:

* The player needs functional cavalry at the end of a battle to destroy enemy units vs. having them retreat with damage
* Any army needs functional cavalry to avoid getting slaughtered after losing a battle
* both
* goku

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the first one. If you lose a battle your cavalry usually flee the field before your infantry's even run halfway to the edge of the map.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
'Gentlemen this is the age of reason. Now run everyone down and leave no survivors...'

I mean I know the 18th/19th centuries were cruel but that still bemuses me in the context of their more modern games, especially since in the Medieval ones you can take prisoners. Also, not one longboat in an entire fleet.

Game abstraction or not being a soldier in that franchise sucks, name understanding.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Saint Celestine posted:

Sure, they took hit, mostly from 11" and 12". Replace the German BCs with the British BCs, and Scheer's 2nd turn most likely results in 5 sunken BCs. Comparatively, look at the beating Seydlitz took and somehow made it back to port.

It's not that likely; British ships proved a lot more resilient to the sort of hits that doomed Lutzow and put Seydlitz into the position she was in. British ships were better designed to stop the spread of flooding, and had more portable pumps than the German ships. None of the British battlecruisers that sank were sunk by shell hits that penetrated the hull or magazines; it was all turret hits that caused the explosion. As Lion shows, these turret hits were survivable with proper safety procedures. Turret hits that did not penetrate the armour could still cause fires. If the British had been following German-style magazine procedures, then it's likely none of their ships would have sunk, but if the Germans had been following the procedures prevailing in the Battlecruiser Fleet, it's likely that Derfflinger and Seydlitz would have exploded too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nessus posted:

also Romantics deliberately twisted fairy tales to be about fights of good vs evil in the early 19c to foster that kind of "us or them" perspective

https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-pop-culture-obsessed-with-battles-between-good-and-evil

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

On the past topic of Star Wars poo poo. Does anyone know when it was decided that rebel fighters have shields and Imperials don't and all that? Because going by the movies there really isn't much to indicate that. In ANH the rebel pilots talk about "stabilizing their rear deflectors" when they know that Darth Vader and his wingmen are coming up in the trench, but it doesn't seem to do them much good when Darth Vader has them in his sights and they get destroyed pretty much as quickly as the Imperial fighters we've seen get destroyed. Furthermore there aren't a lot of of TIE fighters sent out against the Rebels in ANH, only about 6, plus Vader and his two guys. We see Wedge shoot down one, Luke another, and we see one or two TIE fighters shooting down rebel fighters. Darth Vader destroys 8 rebel fighters IIRC.

In Empire there isn't really any dogfighting, just the chase with the Millenium falcon where the TIE fighters are destroyed by colliding with asteroids and each other. And in Jedi there's a big battle but as far as I can remember there isn't any great disparity shown between the Imperial and Rebel fighters. Except the Imperials have numerical superiority and we have some shots of the named characters (Wedge, Lando) shooting down a couple of fighters and lots of namless rebel fighter pilots getting picked off.

What I'm saying is I'm sorry. And also is that whole impression of the crude unshielded TIE fighter and the advanced rebel figher solely spawned from the EU which famously grasps onto small pieces of dialogue and costume details to extrapolate details about entire societies, species or planets (for instance we know that rebel fighters have shields because of the "stabilize rear deflectors" line but there is really nothing in the movies which would indicate that the TIE fighters don't have shields, but because it is never explicitly said, even though the rebel fighters aren't shown to be particularly more durable, it assumed to be the case)? Because honestly it seems that way.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 2, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
RIP Porkins.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Like most Star Wars detail, it's all in the EU. In this case probably either the novelizations or the West End Games RPG.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sidenote, I don't think it's that the rebel fighters are more advanced, it's that they're much bigger and more expensive. The Empire totally could build lamborghini fighters, it just doesn't choose to.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sidenote, TIE interceptors are the best ship in the FFG miniature game.

steinrokkan posted:

RIP Porkins.

I like how Porkins is literally shot down by laser flak. Like from manned cannons on turntables.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 2, 2019

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Can’t argue with all the TIE fighter pilots that didn’t fly into a literal asteroid-spanning worm thing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is the Death Star a BB or a BC? It was built as a BB but lol at getting dropped by a single torpedo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Is the Death Star a BB or a BC? It was built as a BB but lol at getting dropped by a single torpedo.

I guess the Empire had pretty lovely AA fire control.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
TIE fighters blow up from a single hit, hence they have no shields. Storm Troopers otoh are armoured and succumb to a single blaster hit. In conclusion, the Empire is a land of contrasts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm going to call it a bomb ketch since its primary purpose was bombardment of surface targets.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They were facing cost overruns and internal political pressure to show something for all the credits being spent rather than just having a couple space warlocks roll out and claim they know the future. The exhaust vent covers were in transit and arrived at coruscant a couple days after the death star left for alderaan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FAUXTON posted:

They were facing cost overruns and internal political pressure to show something for all the credits being spent rather than just having a couple space warlocks roll out and claim they know the future. The exhaust vent covers were in transit and arrived at coruscant a couple days after the death star left for alderaan.

This is also the reason why the rebels were able to use the trench, funnily enough.

quote:

Although details, such as the superlaser's location, shifted between different concept models during production of Star Wars, the notion of the Death Star being a large, spherical space station over 100 kilometers in diameter was consistent in all of them.[4] George Lucas gave the original task of designing a "Death Star" to concept artist and spaceship modeler Colin Cantwell,[5] who had collaborated with Stanley Kubrick on the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey.[6] In a 2016 interview, Cantwell related that "I didn't originally plan for the Death Star to have a trench, but when I was working with the mold, I noticed the two halves had shrunk at the point where they met across the middle." As it "would have taken a week of work just to fill and sand and refill this depression," Cantwell suggested a trench to Lucas to save the labor. Lucas liked the idea,[5][6] and the Death Star model was created by John Stears.[7][8] The buzzing sound counting down to the Death Star firing its superlaser comes from the Flash Gordon serials.[9] Portraying an incomplete yet powerful space station posed a problem for Industrial Light & Magic's modelmakers for Return of the Jedi.[10] Only the front side of the 137-centimeter model was completed, and the image was flipped horizontally for the final film.[10] Both Death Stars were depicted by a combination of complete and sectional models and matte paintings.[4][10]

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Adding the trench made the dambusters thing seem even better

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The mention of cost overruns made me remember how Emperor Palpatine's penny-pinching is my absolute favorite part of the old EU.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randarkman posted:

The mention of cost overruns made me remember how Emperor Palpatine's penny-pinching is my absolute favorite part of the old EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The EU at times is so insane it might circle back around to endearing. But like... in the dumbest way

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Siivola posted:

Like most Star Wars detail, it's all in the EU. In this case probably either the novelizations or the West End Games RPG.

The X-Wing and TIE fighter sims from Lucasarts (which were fun as poo poo) on the PC made this explicit. Rebel ships required you to manage shields to survive, the base-model TIEs had no shields.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Gentlepersons, this is the milhist thread. I'm sure there's a star wars thread for all your star wars discussions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dance Officer posted:

Gentlepersons, this is the milhist thread. I'm sure there's a star wars thread for all your star wars discussions.

It's a long, long time ago so even if it's in a galaxy far far away it's technically history and I think anyone can see it's clearly military.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I way way prefer this conversation to war crimes chat

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Ewoks wore no visible military insignia. Are they in violation of the Geneva Convention?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Ewoks wore no visible military insignia. Are they in violation of the Geneva Convention?
No, because the Geneva Convention happened after those events

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Ewoks were technically a 'criminal gang'.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fangz posted:

I way way prefer this conversation to war crimes chat

Was destroying Alderaan justified?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was destroying Alderaan justified?

No because military target or not it was clearly disproportionate and you have to maintain proportionality in wartime.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It was an industrial accident

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

No because military target or not it was clearly disproportionate and you have to maintain proportionality in wartime.

was it really wartime though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
AT-STs are by law anti-material weapons so be sure to aim at an Ewok's weapons when shooting at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

aphid_licker posted:

What's the wildest napoleonic uniform color scheme?

Taken as a whole it is hard to beat the Neopolitains:

Any single uniform isn't outlandish by Napoleonic standards, but en masse they're a rainbow display with no unifying theme.