Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
structural nail guards

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It looks like some sort of foundation below that wall, so does that make it an external wall? Does that mean the siding has effectively become load bearing?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Orvin posted:

It looks like some sort of foundation below that wall, so does that make it an external wall? Does that mean the siding has effectively become load bearing?

Everything is load-bearing including the nailing plates

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bad Munki posted:

Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QNMCVWP

Although I guess that specific one only helps for outlets. So add on one of those light bulb socket outlet adapter things, which I will not link on account of them probably being sketchy in general.

BTW, this thing is slightly on sale now with the accessory kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VWCSG7G/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

...oh no

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I see this and see that it is dumb and dangerous, but how would you do it so it's safe?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm pretty sure it's only dumb and dangerous if that's a load bearing wall. If it's more or less just a divider that has some utilities run through it and the studs aren't doing anything more than providing a spot to nail dry wall to it's fine. I've got a similar bunch of ancient nail plates over notched-out studs in the very much not-load-bearing wall between my kitchen and the bathroom where a poo poo ton of plumbing runs, and it's been fine for 70 years now.

Obviously a different story if that wall is keeping the roof from being in the living room.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
1.5 inch hole in the middle of the board

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I see this and see that it is dumb and dangerous, but how would you do it so it's safe?

I don't know the exact details, but you are limited to the size of the hole and how far apart the holes can be and where they are in the beams. Random website I saw said that a notch like that couldn't be more than 1/3 of the way through the beam, but I'm assuming it would need to be strengthened with a bar once the wires are run.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Route it somewhere that doesn’t ruin the integrity of a structure? Soffits exist to hide poo poo you can’t route through a wall.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The fact that wall is sitting on concrete makes me think it’s load bearing

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Isnt that what structural stud shoes are for? Basically a nail plate that goes around the hole and is designed for load bearing

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Hmm, tough call on what fails first, the deck or the RV.

I do like the nice touch of the giant dent on the RV slide out where it likely was opened into a tree or post or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Scratch Monkey posted:

The fact that wall is sitting on concrete makes me think it’s load bearing

It also has plywood nailed to the outside, that's almost certainly an exterior wall.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If the pipe absolutely, positively must take that route then either the 2x4 studs need to be replaced with 2x6 ones with drilled holes (max diameter 2+7/32") or 2x8" (3" max diameter) or have the pipe run slightly behind the studs so they don't have to be notched like that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

esquilax posted:

Isnt that what structural stud shoes are for? Basically a nail plate that goes around the hole and is designed for load bearing

Yeah but I feel like that hole is insane even for that

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Orvin posted:

Hmm, tough call on what fails first, the deck or the RV.

I do like the nice touch of the giant dent on the RV slide out where it likely was opened into a tree or post or something.

I'd bet it was that post that has now been chopped off a couple inches above the deck

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Drill through the top plate of the wall in the 16" wall cavity you need the lines to exit, so that you don't have to go laterally through any studs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

esquilax posted:

Ooh, I like these.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

moist turtleneck posted:

It is well beyond the maximum size for a stud, load-bearing or not.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

Whoever made those holes had a recip but not an appropriately sized drill bit.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
being AC lines, i bet the unit is just on the other side of the wall, i'd put money on it being load bearing.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They at least put wall plates in, the AC will still be standing when the rest of the wall falls down

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
And yeah you can do a reciprocating saw but also not take out 80% of the stud lol

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean

A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind back!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ooh, I like these.

That's nice of them to include screws since that thing would definitely get installed with drywall screws otherwise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

That's nice of them to include screws since that thing would definitely get installed with drywall screws otherwise.

If it twists, it fits.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cat Hatter posted:

BTW, this thing is slightly on sale now with the accessory kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VWCSG7G/

Thank you for this.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m a stud and I’ve got lots of holes

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

freeedr posted:

I’m a stud and I’ve got lots of holes

I think you meant to post it somewhere else, this is a construction thread

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Is there a crappy demolition thread?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

I used to work at a warehouse that housed, among other things, plastic roofing (for sheds, verandas, gaze-bos, and other such follies). To cut down on shipping costs, anything that we (me and another big guy) could roll up was rolled up - usually the cap was like ten to a dozen sheets. We'd stick two big-rear end "OPEN UP IMMEDIATELY TO AVOID PERMANENT BENDING" stickers on each roll. Basically every time some customer complained it went like this:

:gary: "The dang sheets deformed, they're not straight at all!"
"They were delivered a week ago. Did you leave them rolled up in the sun for that long?" :doit:
:gary: "Of course not, I'm not stupid! I opened it immediately after delivery!"
"O I C" :doit:
:gary: "And another thing: the screws are missing!"
"The screws are double-bagged inside the roll." :doit:
:gary: :doit:
:yarg: "gently caress you."

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I think you meant to post it somewhere else, this is a construction thread

Hmm. That line usually works at construction sites just fine

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Sharing a set of steps in my neighbourhood. They've done some improvements to this set in the past week, they've painted the pallets black and also enclosed one side with plywood, indicating that this is a permanent installation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’m the wildly different step heights and tread widths.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Should've grabbed plastic pallets, that way the steps would last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Darchangel posted:

Thank you for this.

Happy to be of help. I'm glad that thing went on sale too. I hadn't wanted to get one at full price because I didn't need it for a project yet... Then it arrived and I remembered there's been a ceiling fan sitting in it's box for a week that I'd been too lazy to install.

Breaker finder worked great. The auto calibration is neat. My wife was impressed that such a thing exists and glad she no longer needs to perform her wifely duties wrt hanging out waiting to tell me I've flipped off the right breaker.

Some homegrown: I've now replaced two ceiling fans that were wired with separate hots for light/fan but then controlled from a single switch because nobody in the past ~40 years has bothered to hook the ends of the second wire to anything at either end.