Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

punk rebel ecks posted:

This post will probably be mocked but I think another thing that makes Arcanum stand out is that the world, setting, and general style is actually memorable. It still remember how the aesthetics and world of that game feel a decade after playing it. This is in contrast to most WRPGs I play where the world and setting is relatively generic and is an afterthought for the general scope of the game. Even for many of the "unique" ones.

Like for example what was Arcanum's battle music like? What is the sound that plays when defeating an enemy? Now think of like almost any other acclaimed WRPG, or even your favorite, can you answer any of those questions?

Edit - Also according to NPD, Arcanum sold just twice as much as POE2 pitiful 110,000 units but was considered a success? Maybe POE2 had crazy scope or gaming budgets have gotten out of control the past two decades?
In my head there is always a pitch perfect version of the music that plays in Easthaven in IWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm actually surprised that Alpha Protocol didn't break even after selling nearly a million copies. While the game was great it was very budget, at least relative to other games in it's genre.

Also, how do the POE gamws compare to say Arcanum?
No it made a profit just not enough profit compared to the time/money investment for SEGA. Remember this wasn't too long before Square Enix was disappointed in Tomb Raider in spite of it being a best seller.

It makes is super hard to tell actual sales and profits when publisher expectations can be any crazy number they decide on and are 'disappointed' in a game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also the spinfusor noise, both the poom from tribes 1 and the bzzz from tribes 2

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Shazbot!

Also https://turret.ytmnd.com

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Make a CRPG like the first Malazan book where you have no idea what exactly is going on until 20+ hours in.

I think that's Wooden Ocean

but I'm not 20+ hours in so I still have no idea what's going on

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm pretty sure rope kid said that PoE2 broke even in the end. The 110k figure was in the first few months only. Its been like 3 years since then.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:discourse:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This post will probably be mocked but I think another thing that makes Arcanum stand out is that the world, setting, and general style is actually memorable. It still remember how the aesthetics and world of that game feel a decade after playing it.

I agree, and for me a lot of those memories are tied to the main theme, which is utterly unforgettable. Hearing it instantly transposes me into that world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmp0RyHQ1DM

:allears:

Man, those were the days…

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How is Serious Sam 4? Any good?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo, is that how tribes: ascend was? i thought it was a free to play microtransactioned up the wazoo piece of poo poo like global agenda

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It was microtransactioned to death, yes.

It was also legit fun as hell despite all that. Sadly, those games give me bad motion sickness nowadays.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Volte posted:

I'm pretty sure rope kid said that PoE2 broke even in the end. The 110k figure was in the first few months only. Its been like 3 years since then.
We don't know the exact figures but in the end the sales were so bad that rope kid said that they would need to rethink the entire format of the series if they were ever to consider making a sequel so it wasn't just fine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's the latest fan-attempt to jumpstart the Tribeslike genre again? I know it's based on a game that already came out and flopped but I forget what it's called.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there one? i thought ascend was the most recent and final attempt

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Do you mean Midair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c01A-vpGDpQ

The failed original release is on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/439370/Midair/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Volte posted:

I'm pretty sure rope kid said that PoE2 broke even in the end. The 110k figure was in the first few months only. Its been like 3 years since then

Games tend to sell the most in their first month or two. Further sales are either paltry or occur in deep discounts.

Evergreen titles like The Witcher 3 and Nintendo games aren't the norm.

Sway Grunt posted:

I agree, and for me a lot of those memories are tied to the main theme, which is utterly unforgettable. Hearing it instantly transposes me into that world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

Jesus Christ that takes me back.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's very said but traditional WRPGs seem to be a very niche genre. There are some games that can breakthrough the mold like The Witcher and Disco Elysium, but it seems that not too many gamers in the general populace want much actual roleplaying with their roleplaying game.

i want a real roleplaying game, and thahts why i wont play any of those games and instead will put another 100 hours into kenshi. thank you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Y'all are lucky that you have music and pleasant sound effects in your memories. I spent 2 days of my life playing Enemy Territory: Quake Wars with goons in 2007 and my thoughts are an unceasing deluge of the Strogg "SsssssSsssssSsssssssSSSSsssSSSssssssss..." voice line playing at different pitches and tempos ever since.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stux posted:

i want a real roleplaying game, and thahts why i wont play any of those games and instead will put another 100 hours into kenshi. thank you.

Hey kenshi owns but also shoutout to the Pathfinder games which are the most roleplay-ey of all the isometric CRPGs. and I fuckin love those games. Here's a post I wrote about them in a different thread about why and I definitely recommend checking them out to anyone who reads this post and thinks "hmm, neat"

deep dish peat moss posted:

Instead of Pathfinder Kingmaker, consider waiting for the sequel Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. It's still a ways' out but I backed it and have played the backer alpha and it's a huge step up in quality. Kingmaker is cool but it's a, like, 180 hour game with 80+ hours of filler and grueling combat so it's a lot to commit to and might not leave you wanting to play the much improved WotR.

That being said, I would rank Kingmaker on top of your list personally but it depends what you're looking for :shrug: I don't know if I could elucidate why in a way that does it justice, but the Pathfinder ruleset is very similar to the D&D 3.5 ruleset used in many old D&D games, and Kingmaker is a very accurate and inspired love letter to tabletop RPGs in a way that other CRPGs aren't. Most CRPGs have a linear story about a predefined amnesiac protagonist that they tell you, but Kingmaker is an (excellent) videogame adaptation of an actual tabletop RPG campaign and that includes the freedom that comes with the writers of the campaign accounting for all types of players. It gives the narrative the same kind of elasticity it has when you're sitting down with an actual DM and it gives the player a type of agency that doesn't exist in the narrative of other CRPGs. It's over-ambitious, but it does it well and now benefits from years of patches. In essence it puts the "role playing" back in CRPG in a way that no other game has for me.

WotR (from what I've seen in the backer alpha) doubles down on this and gives you an even greater sense of the story being about you, instead of about the tabula rasa linear narrative protagonist who maybe has a few different alignment options that the writers created. I'm very hype for it and have been fighting the urge to play through the backer alpha for a second time, because it's already ~40 hours long and I don't want to ruin all the surprises for myself before a real playthrough at full release.

Bear in mind that this means that the tone of the writing is often more Choose-Your-Own-Adventure than serious fantasy fiction like Baldur's Gate or Planescape. That's not to say that it's poorly written, just that the narrative is mostly about the world, your place in it, and how it reacts to you, instead of introspective deep dives into complex characters or morality or whatever.

edit: For clarification, unlike Kenshi they are still about a 'linear narrative' except instead of trying to tell you a deep story about how these characters are affected by the events of the narrative it says "Okay here's the narrative - how is your character affected by this and what would they do about it?"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 8, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stux posted:

I see where you are coming from and enjoyed my time with Kenshi, but the way the game was designed it made it difficult for me to do a lot of stuff I actually wanted to do. So the game ironically became a bit repetitive for me after a few dozen hours.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

install mods

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yup, that's the one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mescal posted:

DOS2

There is a point where you can't switch characters any more, but I wouldn't sweat it. You've got a good team. Ask me if you need build advice, nonspoiler hints, etc. I know that game... almost encyclopedically.

Awesome, I'll probably go to the main DOSII thread for any issues.

I never bothered with POE2 due to 1 being a very dry novel every time i talked to someone.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

install mods

i always feel like this is a ship of theseus situation. i've got at least one friend who's super deep into rimworld but also has about 80 gajillion mods installed so are they actually super deep into rimworld or something else entirely?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why does it matter as long as youre having fun

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rimworld is a special case. Playing rimworld is like an adult version of a dollhouse crossed with legos and action figures. Having 80 billion mods expands the cast and gives your action figures more kung fu grips or whatever, it's like getting the $800 super intricate death star playset so your dolls can live in it. At the end of the day you're still playing the same game, just with different dolls and action figures.

e: vvv That's a good question. You could make a comparison to it being more like recommending a console in that case - hey get [gaming platform] so you can play [mod]

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just pondering. if you recommend such and such as an awesome game but then say you have to install this, this, and this to make it fun are you recommending that game?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stux posted:

install mods

I did.

Cowcaster posted:

i always feel like this is a ship of theseus situation. i've got at least one friend who's super deep into rimworld but also has about 80 gajillion mods installed so are they actually super deep into rimworld or something else entirely?

In my head I just separate it as "vanilla" and "community" editions. Civilization VI is a good example. The game is a very different experience with mods on just the fact that you can have a world map that's FAR bigger than what vanilla offers all packed with literal dozens of civilizations. Nevermind different government mods and what not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

it’s Decent. it does not feel like a very modern game and it won’t amaze anyone, but I enjoyed it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

just pondering. if you recommend such and such as an awesome game but then say you have to install this, this, and this to make it fun are you recommending that game?

here's my serious effort take:

Yes except in the case of total conversion mods.

When someone recommends Enderal, which is technically a Skyrim mod but only in the sense that you need to own Skyrim because it uses the Skyrim engine, and they say you need Skyrim to play it, they're definitely not recommending Skyrim.

But for something like Kenshi or Rimworld where the mods are all things like, "Adds the ability to build a weed farm" or "We included dinosaurs now" or "You can cross-breed the DNA of dinosaurs from Mod B with the weed strains from Mod A to breed the Tetrocannasaurus Rex" where those additions are interacting directly with the vanilla game in ways that are supported and enforced by the vanilla game, yeah it's totally a recommendation of Rimworld or Kenshi for creating a mechanical cosmos where those things are possible. But also both Kenshi and Rimworld are fun without mods. And I can recommend Rimworld largely because of how well it supports mods and how diverse and vast the modding community for it is. I mean, I recommend it even without mods, the mods are just one of the selling points.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 8, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

It’s better than Serious Sam 3 if that’s a point of comparison. You actually get all the weapons in the regular game instead of some only in secrets, I don’t think there’s any hitscan enemies, and the hordes are better designed in their spawn timing and make up.

There are a few semi-new things such as some weapons with secondary fires and power ups you collect and activate that can be something like slowing down time to increased damage/speed to a black hole grenade. These can be stupidly overpowered but are a nice addition if you are having trouble getting through an arena the old fashioned way.

There are “side missions” as well but those are basically just coming across a fork in the road and being told one way is progress and the other is “Do you to shoot some extra stuff to get some extra stuff?”

There are some vehicle sections that bring down the game on occasion. It seemed like the only reason I got though a couple of them was luck.

As is usual for Serious Sam games the levels between the hordes can be too large for their own good so be prepared to spend time running/driving from place to place.

I had a mostly good time with it. I ran into a bug on the final level literally before the final boss which meant I had to replay the entire final level again but nothing like that otherwise.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Oldstench posted:

Another Forza Horizon 4 question. I know that 5 is coming soon. Is the game still fun without other people since I assume it will be dead as soon as 5 hits?

I hardly ever played with other people, personally. Just turned the AI up and went around trying to win races. I don't think it would be a huge issue if you actually enjoy the racing.

Palpek posted:

Boomerang X just released. It looks badass so somebody who's getting it post your impressions please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ankwA_dWezs

Full disclosure I have only played the demo, but I thought it was pretty good and snappy. Challenging, for sure, aiming and following your boomerang can get awkward occasionally. No story really (there may be in the full game), just defeat waves of enemies in unique rooms and move on. Combat feels really good but absolutely would NOT work with a controller, the need for precision is too great. Which is kind of a dealbreaker for me, or at least means that I won't buy the full game. Demo kinda gives me plenty of it tbh.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah it has the diablo-like loot, build variety, and is definitely faster paced than souls... but it still has a lot of that soulsy 'learn pattern to beat boss' sort of gameplay.

It's a LOT harder than Diablo that's for drat sure. It's definitely a more or less hardcore game, or at least one where you need to be willing to put in quite a lot of time.

Palpek posted:

More last minute sale-related game impressions, casual edition: solitaire games.

The main dev of those solitaire games had a pretty interesting GDC talk, I believe it was called 'How to Survive in Game Development for 10 Years Without a Hit' or something like that

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

punk rebel ecks posted:

Games tend to sell the most in their first month or two. Further sales are either paltry or occur in deep discounts.

Evergreen titles like The Witcher 3 and Nintendo games aren't the norm.
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1263677679527620609

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

yes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

is there a verison of kenshi w mods that exists without being kenshi with mods. no. it only exists in kenshi.

and w kenshi and rimworld i got plenty of enjoyment from the unmodded games first before i moved to modding for more fun continuing to play

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Good to hear.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cowcaster posted:

Can you get the same experience without the base game? If not, then yes you are still recommending "the game + mods."

In the same way, whatever manifestation of the ship of Theseus that arrived at the end of its journey could never have done so without the original ship to start from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its not evne a ship of theseus lol ur not turning the game into a flight sim, its still the same game core with extra stuff bolted onto it.