Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Lazy? I've done at least five Narga hunts. Marrow and Medulla are MYTHS. Made up!!

do low rank for marrow. cap drop rate is very low, so make sure you carve. carve chance is the same (cut the tail if you can) for HR and LR, but it has a chance to show up as a reward in LR, where on HR it does not. i did about a billion HR nargacuga just needing 1 marrow before I realized this and got multiple from my first LR try.

medulla has basically the same drop table on HR as marrow does on LR, and only drops in HR, so you gotta keep going for that. again cut tail if you can and carve dont cap since it has over double the carve drop rate compared to capping.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kobogartimer posted:

Exhaust and KO are the same status attack, one on the body and one on the head.

I guess that makes sense. I knew that blunt weapons build exhaust/KO depending on where you hit, but I never made the connection that the two were literally the same status. This led me to test if exhaust coatings/ammo also KO and sure enough they do, huh.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I am not finding this. Can you be more specific?

Sorry I missed this, under options/gyroscope there's an option below Horizontal Sensitivity - Handheld Mode called (R) Up/Down Controls, this lets you use the stick to move the camera up and down on the Y axis while gyro aiming. I might have crossed wires for what was being asked but it lets you do big movement on the stick and small adjustments by tilting the controller to make aiming a lot more fluid than having to tilt the controller up and down exclusively in gyro mode for Y-axis control.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I guess that makes sense. I knew that blunt weapons build exhaust/KO depending on where you hit, but I never made the connection that the two were literally the same status. This led me to test if exhaust coatings/ammo also KO and sure enough they do, huh.

I was just tooling around with a new build and the Absolute Power Shot switch skill for the bow seems to apply that exhaust/KO effect to A button volleys, but it also applies them to silkbind shots from the jump/shoot switch skills since those also count as the powershot moves on the A button. I don't know if raw damage numbers affect how reliably it applies it but with 309 attack I am KOing the training dummy with one full stamina bar ending a combo with the aerial power shot volley.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Think we'll get deets about the April update this week?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Either I've gotten really unlucky with the last few join requests I've jumped into or people have completely forgotten how to fight Rathalos. I'm never gonna get that ruby.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
mano e mano is going to get you the quickest times if your spirit is willing and your heart is pure

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Impermanent posted:

mano e mano is going to get you the quickest times if your spirit is willing and your heart is pure

SOS's in World were usually faster than solo runs for me but I guess I'm better off facing down the dragon alone (except for my cat and dog)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Crowetron posted:

Either I've gotten really unlucky with the last few join requests I've jumped into or people have completely forgotten how to fight Rathalos. I'm never gonna get that ruby.

Rathalos is legit one of the most dangerous monsters in the game right now so, it's not just bad pubs.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the key thing about rathalos is that you're safe parked under his rear end an astonishing amount of the time. while he's in the air you're ok if you're just slightly off of his center axis, and you always want to be close rather than far. if you just try to spend most of your time inside his rear end in a top hat you will do surprisingly well. plus that's easy access to his tail.

rear end parking works for a surprising amount of tall monsters. diablos, rathian, etc. I don't think it works on anjie but that boy has a very weird hitbox in general.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Can someone help me understand why sometimes Rank 5 (and even 4) seem to outclass Rank 6 weapons, if numbers are all I’m looking at?

I’m talking especially Bow here. There’s a number of Rank 6 bows where the combined raw damage + elemental dmg + affinity just don’t seem worth their cost, especially compared to Rank 5 bows (and one Rank 4 bow, yes hosed up Khezu bow, I mean you).

Is it “slots”, which I guess means room for decorations? I know for Bow specifically there’s also the arrow/shot type... but even so... it seems like some Rank 6 weapons just aren’t as good as certain other Rank 5. What am I missing?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

minya posted:

Can someone help me understand why sometimes Rank 5 (and even 4) seem to outclass Rank 6 weapons, if numbers are all I’m looking at?

I’m talking especially Bow here. There’s a number of Rank 6 bows where the combined raw damage + elemental dmg + affinity just don’t seem worth their cost, especially compared to Rank 5 bows (and one Rank 4 bow, yes hosed up Khezu bow, I mean you).

Is it “slots”, which I guess means room for decorations? I know for Bow specifically there’s also the arrow/shot type... but even so... it seems like some Rank 6 weapons just aren’t as good as certain other Rank 5. What am I missing?

Without knowing exactly which ones you're looking at, you also have charge levels to consider as well as coatings (specifically if they have access to power coats) and rampage skills like elemental exploit. Some weapons are just bad though. I will say the Khezu bow definitely does not outclass Tobi's.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

Without knowing exactly which ones you're looking at, you also have charge levels to consider as well as coatings (specifically if they have access to power coats) and rampage skills like elemental exploit. Some weapons are just bad though. I will say the Khezu bow definitely does not outclass Tobi's.

Good points. Actually, the Tobi bow is one I was planning to buy.

I built the .... Bishaten angel-looking bow, forget the name, which has high raw damage but no elemental or affinity, and I think it’s rank 5, and the Rakna Kadaki fire bow, which has decent raw damage + affinity + fire damage.

The Khezu elemental core bow still seems to do better than both of these bows in many cases. I often find myself doing 15-20 x5 damage with the level 2/3 shots of the Khezu bow.

It may also be that more monsters appear to be weak to thunder than anything else.

I guess what I’m saying is that this Khezu bow is really good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

minya posted:

It may also be that more monsters appear to be weak to thunder than anything else.

hell you're right

minya
Sep 7, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

hell you're right

Holy poo poo. I made that assumption based on a quick glance through Hunters Notes, but that really puts it into perspective.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah looking through the hunters notes I just casually noticed that Thunder and Fire were this game's big elemental weaknesses. The messed up thing is that the amount of bonus damage monsters take from those two elements is higher on average than the amount of bonus damage monsters weak to the other elements take. Like, if a monster is weak to thunder, it's usually REALLY weak to thunder.

Additionally hosed up is that there are LBGs that shoot Fire/Thunder and Piercing Fire/Thunder that each have Weakness Exploit, so they're the best weapon of their respective element in every single regard. If you want Weakness Exploit on a Dragon/Ice/Water gun you have to make some sort of very large concession

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

MMF Freeway posted:

hell you're right

Looks like 17 vs 15 for water and fire yeah

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It didn't even cross my mind that Exhaust coatings for bow could KO, I was just hitting the body trying to get the monster tired. As a lifelong Hammer bro, I'm ashamed I didn't make that connection immediately.

Late in Iceborne, Bow felt kind of anemic to me; but it is so fun to play in Rise, it's becoming a top weapon for me again. There really is some great variation in how you can play it, and tons of options for any scenario.

I like, JUST got off of a 600 hour MHW bender and I was worried it would make Rise stale; but dammit, the weapons are fun to use!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah looking through the hunters notes I just casually noticed that Thunder and Fire were this game's big elemental weaknesses. The messed up thing is that the amount of bonus damage monsters take from those two elements is higher on average than the amount of bonus damage monsters weak to the other elements take. Like, if a monster is weak to thunder, it's usually REALLY weak to thunder.

Additionally hosed up is that there are LBGs that shoot Fire/Thunder and Piercing Fire/Thunder that each have Weakness Exploit, so they're the best weapon of their respective element in every single regard. If you want Weakness Exploit on a Dragon/Ice/Water gun you have to make some sort of very large concession

I know Rathalos is the fire element exploit LBG but I thought Almudron is the only other element exploit LBG and it's primarily for water? It has ice/thunder but in very limited clip size. What's the thunder element exploit LBG you're talking about?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

It didn't even cross my mind that Exhaust coatings for bow could KO, I was just hitting the body trying to get the monster tired. As a lifelong Hammer bro, I'm ashamed I didn't make that connection immediately.

Late in Iceborne, Bow felt kind of anemic to me; but it is so fun to play in Rise, it's becoming a top weapon for me again. There really is some great variation in how you can play it, and tons of options for any scenario.

I like, JUST got off of a 600 hour MHW bender and I was worried it would make Rise stale; but dammit, the weapons are fun to use!

Which bow are you using?

I’m also on team bow and I love it, but I’m a Mon Hun noob.

Also how do you manage the 20 ammo limit when using coatings?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

minya posted:

Which bow are you using?

I’m also on team bow and I love it, but I’m a Mon Hun noob.

Also how do you manage the 20 ammo limit when using coatings?

I haven't put together a good set yet, I'm kind of dipping my toe in all the weapons, but I'm starting to spend more time with bow just now. I'm liking the pierce ones.

Usually, I deal with 20 coatings by just not expecting to get more than one status ailment proc. I use up Power ammo, and unless I'm having trouble, it's not too bad to finish the fight with no coating or close-range. There is an option to stock vials and materials to craft more coatings on the go, but I've never really felt that was worth the time and the cost. Worse comes to worse, you can run to a camp and restock.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Hey guys this is my first rodeo. I just got to high rank content. Am i right i saying this only in the hub. If so- how doable is the hub content solo. I have been playing online a bit but have no actually friends playing atm and even though its fun- i much prefer playing solo because it feels less of a free for all...

For reference - i can only remember dying about 4 times up to this point.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

I haven't put together a good set yet, I'm kind of dipping my toe in all the weapons, but I'm starting to spend more time with bow just now. I'm liking the pierce ones.

Usually, I deal with 20 coatings by just not expecting to get more than one status ailment proc. I use up Power ammo, and unless I'm having trouble, it's not too bad to finish the fight with no coating or close-range. There is an option to stock vials and materials to craft more coatings on the go, but I've never really felt that was worth the time and the cost. Worse comes to worse, you can run to a camp and restock.

Give the Khezu bow, rank 4 , Exploded Core or something, a try. For some reason it is so powerful. It might just be that I really work well with spread shots. For reference, I just spent close to 100k upgrading the Tobi Kadachi bow all the way to rank 6 and it doesn’t feel like a substantial upgrade (maybe I need to find Rapid Up skills).

Ok yeah good to know Re coatings, I basically only plan to ever land one status effect. I guess that’s just the way it goes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Here is my current bow build. It is a KO build and it plays like shooting hammers out of a bow.
- Anja glove/chest/belt, Hunter legs, Rathalos helmet.
- Pendant w/ 2 constitution, 2 constitution gems, one evade extend gem.
- Rank three Anjanath bow in the bone tree with brutal strike ramp-up
- Absolute power shot + aerial switch skills, wirebug up and aim for the head.
- Powercharm + Powertalon

7atk+, 4con, 2slugger, 0 crit, 309dmg

The Anjanath bow has really high base damage and a courtesy amount of fire damage at 9 so you can shoot anything in the head with it and it will fall down. If you don't want to build a bunch of elemental bow gear consider giving knockout bow a try. The Anjanath bows take power coating and blast coating so you get the two most fun coatings on top of everything else. The armor set is also pink and black so it looks really cool.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Science_enthusiast posted:

Hey guys this is my first rodeo. I just got to high rank content. Am i right i saying this only in the hub. If so- how doable is the hub content solo. I have been playing online a bit but have no actually friends playing atm and even though its fun- i much prefer playing solo because it feels less of a free for all...

Yes, high rank is Hub only. High Rank stuff is more or less doable solo but it will take quite a bit of time, and once you reach the highest rank, 7, solo becomes a huge risk.

HR7 feels substantially more difficult than everything prior. It’s not uncommon for people to die in 1-2 hits, and I’d say something like 30-40% of my Rank 7 hunts end in failure.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Reiley posted:

Here is my current bow build. It is a KO build and it plays like shooting hammers out of a bow.
- Anja glove/chest/belt, Hunter legs, Rathalos helmet.
- Pendant w/ 2 constitution, 2 constitution gems, one evade extend gem.
- Rank three Anjanath bow in the bone tree with brutal strike ramp-up
- Absolute power shot + aerial switch skills, wirebug up and aim for the head.
- Powercharm + Powertalon

7atk+, 4con, 2slugger, 0 crit,
what makes this a KO build?

Doesn’t Anjanath bow have negative affinity? Seems like those should be avoided at all costs, no?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

minya posted:

Doesn’t Anjanath bow have negative affinity? Seems like those should be avoided at all costs, no?

It has -20% affinity, which becomes a chance for 150% damage crits with the Brutal Strike ramp-up skill, and since the damage is so high the numbers get really big.. It does a lot of base damage and the Absolute Power Shot applies KO effect when you press A or use the silkbind skills. I was knocking monsters down with it before I thought to switch to APS and now it knocks them down and applies the KO effect. What's most important is that it's fun, it does big damage numbers on everything and you look cool.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

minya posted:

Yes, high rank is Hub only. High Rank stuff is more or less doable solo but it will take quite a bit of time, and once you reach the highest rank, 7, solo becomes a huge risk.

HR7 feels substantially more difficult than everything prior. It’s not uncommon for people to die in 1-2 hits, and I’d say something like 30-40% of my Rank 7 hunts end in failure.

Ah ok- have i essentially exhausted the game of intended single player content?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ah ok- have i essentially exhausted the game of intended single player content?

No, you can do everything single player. Things will scale up if you do multi in hub, but everything can (and is intended to be able to) be done solo.

e: rampages are the one thing that are kinda bleh single player, but they are doable. I never had issues doing any single player hunts and in fact usually am faster solo than with a group even on 7 star quests.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i should stop playing gen u because it constantly puts me on full tilt and im extremely impatient. i really only enjoy fighting the "iconic" monsters in it. im glad some of these lame rear end monsters never made it to HD

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My Meowcenaries brought me back a Cutejelly and it let me make Dual Blades that are just a frilly parasol. They are actually pretty rad though, decent raw and paralysis and they have a small sliver of blue sharpness which is the first I've seen available on anything so far. It was pretty fun to kill an Anjanath with an umbrella coated with paralyzing agents.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
After feeling confident for a while with my Greatsword skills, I think I will practice with the charge blade. Die Walkure/ K Captain's blade tree looks really cool and I think I may just gently caress around with it entirely based around how nice it looks. Not for any gameplay reason, it just looks very pretty.

Anyway, in regards to greatsword I feel like Earplugs would at this point be my biggest boost to DPS. I need decorations for that as much as possible, because so many True Charged Slashes are getting interrupted by roars.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

So do rampage skills you put on your weapon only work in rampages? I’m guessing yes but ... I don’t know.

Also huge shout out to the random French guy who joined my lobby and helped me hit high rank. This game sure is great!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

nuketulsa posted:

So do rampage skills you put on your weapon only work in rampages? I’m guessing yes but ... I don’t know.

Nope, they work all the time. It's just a cute name.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

just tried the courage hammer switch skill and its just the valor mode moveset, i thought it was going to be some out of nowhere bull poo poo

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

are buddy tickets just pure RNG on if you get them or an lagniapple? I realized today when trying to craft some gear that requires them that I've gotten about 3 in my first 70~ hours in the game. Looking forward to when I cross the 200 mark/decide to run that one star get berries quest over and over to finish upgrading this weapon!!!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PringleCreamEgg posted:

After feeling confident for a while with my Greatsword skills, I think I will practice with the charge blade. Die Walkure/ K Captain's blade tree looks really cool and I think I may just gently caress around with it entirely based around how nice it looks. Not for any gameplay reason, it just looks very pretty.

Anyway, in regards to greatsword I feel like Earplugs would at this point be my biggest boost to DPS. I need decorations for that as much as possible, because so many True Charged Slashes are getting interrupted by roars.

Earplugs is more irrelevant than ever with Greatsword in Rise. If you are willing to switch to Rage Slash over TCS than between that, Adamant Charge Slash, and Tackle, roars would be little more than gigantic openings for you.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Someone finally got an image of the load screen. Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...tm_source=share

Can save for all your wallpaper needs

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

The entire game scales down for solo play, so that is absolutely fine. Nothing requires multiplayer and every weapon can solo every fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

minya posted:

Negative affinity just means your "crits" do less damage. You can still get it into positive numbers with skills like weakness exploit if you're hitting weak spots (you should always hit weak spots), but even if they wasn't a factor, some weapons just have so much raw/element damage that it is worth using even with negative affinity. They shouldn't be dismissed automatically.