Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I really feel that you should be able to shift to Rogue Servitors midgame. Just looking sadly at everything going on and deciding yeah OK enough of this, get in the domes.

Basically turning into the Ancient Caretakers fallen empire, maybe mixed with the Enigmatic Observers?
It would be sensible, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao what god drat idiot thought that -200 opinion was a reasonable penalty for an alleged "Existential Threat".
Those loving modifiers should at least be multiplied by 10x to be in line with Devouring Swarm and such, if not more.

ShadowHawk posted:

The best is how, if you build up trust, you can have perfectly normal relations with a driven assimilator. Even invite them to your faction, and enact a federation-wide migration law with them.

Cease to Hope posted:

I've had refugees showing up in vanilla machine intelligence space. Stellaris immigrants are not terribly bright.

Kinda sounds like you think these are bugs, but I assure you they are features. Sorry you don't appreciate them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've gotten addicted to ringworld starts, they're so chill.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I see why they did the -200 existential threat (the vassals), but it really does feel odd next to a -100 devouring swarm which is like, logically a bit less of a problem.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

I see why they did the -200 existential threat (the vassals), but it really does feel odd next to a -100 devouring swarm which is like, logically a bit less of a problem.

Apparently, Assimilators are just really convincing when they calmly explain the positive sides of joining a machine network

While Purifiers, Exterminators and Devourers just tell you "Welp, you're all gonna die now", which is a harder pill to swallow

Though I feel like the civic giving you access to undead armies should half your -1000 malus towards those types of empires, since clearly your people don't value their own life very highly

Also I just realized there's a hole in our hive line-ups: Normal hives don't have equivalents to rogue servitors and assimilators. Someone should do something about this, Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a thing, after all

Fake edit:

Count me towards the people who would like it if you could switch out or in genocidal civics during a game. A mad purifier empire turning peaceful after realizing aliens aren't so bad after all, or a machine empire dedicated to killing all life suddenly deciding at least some organics deserve protection, this would open up tons of new RP-options. (Or think about a normal hive suddenly noticing how delicious other organics taste, and turning into a devouring swarm. Countless possibilities.)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Libluini posted:

Apparently, Assimilators are just really convincing when they calmly explain the positive sides of joining a machine network

While Purifiers, Exterminators and Devourers just tell you "Welp, you're all gonna die now", which is a harder pill to swallow

Though I feel like the civic giving you access to undead armies should half your -1000 malus towards those types of empires, since clearly your people don't value their own life very highly

Also I just realized there's a hole in our hive line-ups: Normal hives don't have equivalents to rogue servitors and assimilators. Someone should do something about this, Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a thing, after all

Fake edit:

Count me towards the people who would like it if you could switch out or in genocidal civics during a game. A mad purifier empire turning peaceful after realizing aliens aren't so bad after all, or a machine empire dedicated to killing all life suddenly deciding at least some organics deserve protection, this would open up tons of new RP-options. (Or think about a normal hive suddenly noticing how delicious other organics taste, and turning into a devouring swarm. Countless possibilities.)

The machine one even happened in the precursor storyline so there's precedent.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 23, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

Fake edit:

Well yeah, of course the assimilators have an easier time. They don't want to kill you, they just want you to j̛̗̅ͪ͌̔ͯ͝ͅo̼̰̖̬͙ͣ́i͗̿͏̶̗̣n̶̻̤̰͊̍ͨͨ̐͆ͫ̚͜ ͎̺̤̤͇̟̈ͥ̉͛͞ṵ̶̷͔̥̟̼̹̻̩̹͗̔̐͠s̶͕̺̞͈̭͇ͨ̎͛ͦ̽̀̆́!̰͌̏͂ͭ

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want reverse assimilators: let me go around turning robots into vastly inferior meatbags.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

And Tyler Too! posted:

I want reverse assimilators: let me go around turning robots into vastly inferior meatbags.

I always wanted Robots to have a "Flesh ascension" perk to become meatbags, but so far all the game directors have been cowards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

That would step on the toes of genetic ascension a bit but on the other hand making genetic ascension less of a gimme pick for hives isn't the end of the world. There's a bunch of other hive variants I'd love to see too. Like one that allows you to have multiple hive minds in your empire, significantly reducing deviancy but <thematic cost>. Or one that lets you take in immigrants as something other than livestock. Give me a planetary decision to create the opposite of a hiveworld where unhiveminded people can just wander around a singleton state park playing pretend at having a civilization, eating up raw resources and producing research and unity/influence for me or something.

Also some way to have the flavour "a voluntary hivemind of sapient beings" without the unfortunate connotations of "...and for anyone who doesn't volunteer there's the hunter killer drones". Like a significant reduction in deviancy (and a namechange for the HKs) and a "voluntary integration" option that imposes no happiness penalties in exchange for significant emigration pressure.

Libluini posted:

There's definitely the-bad-kind-of-weird meta stuff that could emerge if swapping into determined exterminators or fanatic purifiers just before the crisis was as easy as swapping out technocracy. A "New Purpose" Ascension that turned on the ability to swap in and out the locked civics + some kind of ribbon ability could be neat though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought this bug was fixed like three times now? One of my guaranteeds has a level 6 anomaly on it:

edit: Yes, I'm unmodded, yes that is definitely one of my two guaranteed Desert worlds as a desert-preferring species.

edit2: reloading from before finding the anomaly thankfully let me RNG out of it being there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 23, 2021

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Borg/Cyber liberation protocols? Hmm.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know of a mod that removes negative traits from the leader trait pool? I've 10 years into a game and I've had four leaders get negative traits so I'm pretty done with how leaders work.

four people have now gotten Arrested Development 12 years into the game, wtf

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You can make a local mod and remove them entirely. I can roll with most negative traits but Arrested Development is insta-fire so I gave it the axe.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyone know of a mod that removes negative traits from the leader trait pool? I've 10 years into a game and I've had four leaders get negative traits so I'm pretty done with how leaders work.

four people have now gotten Arrested Development 12 years into the game, wtf

Adopt the Philosopher King civic.

And Tyler Too! posted:

You can make a local mod and remove them entirely. I can roll with most negative traits but Arrested Development is insta-fire so I gave it the axe.

The devs really should just turn Arrested Development into a fatal event if they want to keep it so bad. The only reason people don't fire someone afflicted with it is if they can't afford to.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 23, 2021

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
What does first contact wars actually give you? I don’t seem to be able to take starbases, and taking a planet seemed sorta buggy and unintended

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kaal posted:

No. I'm not building my faction around bad game mechanics, which is why I asked for a mod and not advice on how to play the game. This kind of jank is why I keep having a love/hate relationship with the game. Its indefensible that stupid poo poo like this is still around what, 6+ years after the game's release?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kaal posted:

No, don't do that. It's a lovely non-pick civic that's Stellaris' special brand of having awful an poor technical gameplay moment, then offering players the solution to it as an in-game opportunistic cost. See also: Automated Surveying, Pop Migration, etc.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Here use an extra civics mod then.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1352686320

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

I've had refugees showing up in vanilla machine intelligence space. Stellaris immigrants are not terribly bright.

I was very disappointed that nobody ever tried to immigrate to Mushroom Space. I even had the galactic market, and I was getting 3 consumer goods a month from observing a Renaissance-era species!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Libluini posted:

Forgotten Queens does this. You've got a rogue servitor equivalent, an origin that automatically assimilates all other species, and a xenomorph equivalent that converts organic pops into its own pops via facehugger.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

That would step on the toes of genetic ascension a bit but on the other hand making genetic ascension less of a gimme pick for hives isn't the end of the world. There's a bunch of other hive variants I'd love to see too. Like one that allows you to have multiple hive minds in your empire, significantly reducing deviancy but <thematic cost>. Or one that lets you take in immigrants as something other than livestock. Give me a planetary decision to create the opposite of a hiveworld where unhiveminded people can just wander around a singleton state park playing pretend at having a civilization, eating up raw resources and producing research and unity/influence for me or something.

Also some way to have the flavour "a voluntary hivemind of sapient beings" without the unfortunate connotations of "...and for anyone who doesn't volunteer there's the hunter killer drones". Like a significant reduction in deviancy (and a namechange for the HKs) and a "voluntary integration" option that imposes no happiness penalties in exchange for significant emigration pressure.

There's definitely the-bad-kind-of-weird meta stuff that could emerge if swapping into determined exterminators or fanatic purifiers just before the crisis was as easy as swapping out technocracy. A "New Purpose" Ascension that turned on the ability to swap in and out the locked civics + some kind of ribbon ability could be neat though.

i've always been of the mind that you should be allowed to swap in but not out. this was how it worked originally but apparently it was changed due to people in MP games building up a solid powerbase peacefully and then going Purifier in order to wipe everyone else out with their giant bonuses, a problem that i could not possibly care less about

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

I always wanted Robots to have a "Flesh ascension" perk to become meatbags, but so far all the game directors have been cowards.

Make it work like the Skin Bandits from Kenshi.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

i've always been of the mind that you should be allowed to swap in but not out. this was how it worked originally but apparently it was changed due to people in MP games building up a solid powerbase peacefully and then going Purifier in order to wipe everyone else out with their giant bonuses, a problem that i could not possibly care less about

Yeah, obviously you shouldn't be able to just toggle a switch to go back and forth

I'd do this by making sure organics need to tune their empires to an appropriate ethic (e.g. fanatic xenophobe for purifier) and then run like this, suffering the huge penalties for going against what the majority of your population wants, until enough of your pops have converted to your new government's way of seeing things. Only then should a player be allowed to go full purifier mid-run.

The other way around is easier: Just do the government reform, and then suffer for a while until your population adapts.

The gestalts are a larger problem, since you don't get different ethics to hang the switching mechanics on. You'd probably need additional events wired to player behavior. Like e.g. you're a devouring swarm but then you end up releasing conquered planets as vassals so you don't eat the aliens on them: This then fires an event that's basically asking you "Do you really want to stay a devouring swarm? Yes/No" and if you take the no-option, everything stays the same, but the yes-option allows you to reform your hive into a non-devouring swarm next time.

And if you continue to be too nice, you then can switch to a bio rogue servitor hive the next time.

Then just use the same process for the machine gestalts. This way, the next time your standard machine empire "accidentally" matrixes billions of people, the game will fire the "Are you serious???!"-event to give you the chance to switch to Determined Exterminator! :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Literally Unplayable: Sapient AI Assistant has been deleted from the scientist traits roll options

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LordMune posted:

Kinda sounds like you think [migration to robot civs] are bugs, but I assure you they are features. Sorry you don't appreciate them

It doesn't seem like the way it should work by default. It's also very frustrating to find out I've enslaved these refugees as batteries and everyone hates me for it but I don't have enough intel to know that's why they hate me, and no way for me to notice it's happening without drilling down three screens deep. It might be more reasonable if robots could be refugees, but I don't think they can right now.

If this is going to be the way the game is going to work, Machine Intelligence civs should at least have a Refugee policy so I can do something to prevent this from happening.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd have to look this up, but I think you should be able to release your battery-planets as organic vassal states of your machine empire.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
There not being a repeatable tech to add levels of information or decrypting kind of sucks, to add onto the general espionage bleh.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Given the way players tech rush, I assume the lack of repeatables for espionage is because they'll quickly outpace empires and obsolete the basic espionage actions.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Just cranked the bad boy up again after taking a break.

Haven't played since Nemesis launched

Now my game crashes, and crashes HARD pretty regularly. Brings the whole PC down.
-
Is this a know bug or something?
Thoughts on revolving?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Turn off all your mods and if that doesn't work do a full uninstall and reinstall. Make sure after uninstalling that the main game folder isn't hanging around with some random files in it.

Revolving is good but makes me dizzy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Just cranked the bad boy up again after taking a break.

Haven't played since Nemesis launched

Now my game crashes, and crashes HARD pretty regularly. Brings the whole PC down.
-
Is this a know bug or something?
Thoughts on revolving?

The first thing you should do is start the game without any mods. Does it still crash?

-Yes: The problem is probably with your PC, but send a bug report anyway, just in case
-No: It's your mods! Proceed to Stage 2.

Stage 2:

Make several play sets of mods, starting with a set with purely cosmetic mods minus the ones you don't really like that much, then all your cosmetic mods, all your cosmetic mods plus some mods you consider essential, etc. until finally, a set that's just all the mods you want to have active all at once.

Now switch your active mod set to one that's just your current mods minus 1-2 you can do without. Launch the game. If it still crashes, go back and switch to a mod set one tier deeper. Rinse, repeat until the game stops crashing. Then mentally remove all the mods from your second-to-last attempt that were in your last attempt (the one which worked). The mod that's left over? That's the cause of the crashes.

This should revolve the issue faster than Revolver Ocelot.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'd suggest looking at the error logs before you start twiddling mods on and off. sometimes it's very obvious which mod was doing a thing right when the crash happened based on the text in the log, and then you can turn it off to confirm

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Also use the irony mod manager.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nobles should generate defense armies imo.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I synthetically ascended my xenophobe empire and now I have two classes of synthetics, one of which is forced into "residence" citizenship.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

I synthetically ascended my xenophobe empire and now I have two classes of synthetics, one of which is forced into "residence" citizenship.

Does anyone even use that citizenship class?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For people who play multiplayer, what are some house rules you consider to reign in snowballing of the kind that happens in other 4X games? In my games we tend to have the problem 1 person tends to snowball and the gap between them and everyone else gets insurmountable and there's never really a right time or place or the means for anyone to try to coalition to knock them down.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

For people who play multiplayer, what are some house rules you consider to reign in snowballing of the kind that happens in other 4X games? In my games we tend to have the problem 1 person tends to snowball and the gap between them and everyone else gets insurmountable and there's never really a right time or place or the means for anyone to try to coalition to knock them down.

I’ve only played a few but banning purifiers and other genocidal shitlords helped. Without high difficulty AIs with cheaty fleets I act as a foil they tend to expand uncontrollably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I’ve only played a few but banning purifiers and other genocidal shitlords helped. Without high difficulty AIs with cheaty fleets I act as a foil they tend to expand uncontrollably

We've already banned all starts along those lines, but there's just too large a skill disparity where 1 or sometimes 2 are just well ahead of everyone else; in particular some people always manage to solve how to hypertech and leapfrog ahead of everyone else.