Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Can a paladin be an acorn

Not an acorn, but a small tree may be workable:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/90529/how-would-should-under-age-penalties-work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I do think there's a lot going on in Blindsight, but to me, that's a strength, not a weakness since it rewards re-reads and some thought about the ideas and implications. It's not light reading (like Hamilton, or I guess Sanderson) where you just sort of follow the plot.

Because of your objections, I re-read it the last couple of days and I disagree that the characterization is poor. It's fundamentally a book with a very unreliable narrator, Siri is well characterized, but it's inherent to who he is as a narrator that he doesn't characterize others well. Siri is the Chinese Room, and he's a "jargonaut" who interacts with the world through explicitly the surface topology of people. His arc is explaining how he got to be that way then being manipulated and then ultimately forced to become more human.

However, I don't think the plot is particularly character-driven, which is think is fairly common amongst hard Sci-Fi.

Also the book is hilarious with how often Siri starts talking about how love and flowers are just strategies for ensuring your genes live on, and all these hyper advanced cyborgs with a trillion dollars of hardwire bolted to their skulls are all "what the gently caress is wrong with you dude"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the book is hilarious with how often Siri starts talking about how love and flowers are just strategies for ensuring your genes live on, and all these hyper advanced cyborgs with a trillion dollars of hardwire bolted to their skulls are all "what the gently caress is wrong with you dude"

I quite enjoyed the whole "birthday strategy" and the person who'd given herself multiple personalities reacting with "I'd have left you on the spot".

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i read the fifth head of cerberus by Gene Wolfe and thought it was really rather good ok bye

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I just had to sit down and explain the entire dragons can be acorns discussion to a colleague because he came in and asked why I had a window open about underage DnD characters and this is entirely your fault you gently caress

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sarern posted:

Are there any other simple names rhymed with DnD class in that book? Sage the Mage, Lief the Thief, Biter the Fighter...

Full-plate and packing Steel!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just had to sit down and explain the entire dragons can be acorns discussion to a colleague because he came in and asked why I had a window open about underage DnD characters and this is entirely your fault you gently caress

lol

:owned:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

CestMoi posted:

i read the fifth head of cerberus by Gene Wolfe and thought it was really rather good ok bye

That and Peace are two of his I really need to get around to.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The fake scientific report on his website is pretty much pure wankery though.i think there's some fun to be had in jokey, speculative science (like HG Wells "willosity", or anything string theorists write) but it's more for the amusement of the writer than anything else.

Please do not call string theory, the best of academic fields, 'jokey'. Thanks.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

can a vampire be an acorn

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
no, only gourds.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Things I have learned from the thread: SFF is bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I can lead whores to culture but I can't help you if you aren't sharp enough to set your desk so the back of the monitor faces the doorway, that's just basics

FWIW I (partly) disagree with your central "dragons can be acorns" theory, mostly because of the whole Carl Sagan "Dragons of Eden" theory which posits that dragons aren't just "any given ur-predator", they're specifically a combination of all the greatest dangers a primeval mammal could face: a crawling, snapping jaw, a flying talon, and fire.

Of course that theory too has flaws (Asian dragons, etc.) but the larger point is that if you want to sell something as a "dragon" it has to be something that your audience will accept as a dragon. For modern, western audiences that means something vaguely like Smaug (or, if you're getting classical, Fafnir). You can change some of the elements sure -- a Good Dragon, a Reluctant Dragon, a Dragon Allergic to Fire, a Vegetarian Dragon, a Fairy Dragon, etc. -- but if you change ALL of the elements at once, if your dragon neither breathes fire, nor has snakelike skin, nor flies, nor has claws or talons or a hypnotic gaze, etc., then the audience won't accept it as a dragon any more, except perhaps by metaphor.

If you start calling an acorn a dragon the audience will just start assuming you're describing the Ur-Acorn metaphorically, or that "Dragon" is the Ur-Acorn's title, etc. OTOH, give your Ur-Acorn big beefy arms and have it burninate a cottage or three, bam, that's a dragon.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 4, 2019

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbh I agree with the spirit of mel's dragon bugbear* and I would feel annoyed if a reader was fundamentally unwilling to engage in metaphorical transposition of the more abstract qualities of a dragon to an unexpected thing called a 'dragon' in a narrative

like the tension is interesting and productive, it's the literature of imagination not the literature of dictionaries

*a half-dragon bugbear has a strength of 23, 3d10+6 hit dice, and a CR of 4

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Trogdor has only one arm.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I thougth the whole dragon acorn thing was about the plausibility of plant-based dragon-shaped creatures

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wondering if Biollante is a dragon.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, I remember reading the first three Mistborn books and liking the first and third enough (the second is insanely boring), but I could not tell you a single thing about them now. Someone gave me the fourth to read later and I made it like twenty pages in before putting it down.

I've read three Sanderson books and the only one I can recall reading is Steelheart, and even then I can only remember very vague details. If pressed, I don't think I could write out the plot with any accuracy and I can't recall more than, like, one character's name (Prof, I think).

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

CountFosco posted:

Its the first one of his ive read, but i am encouragrd to check out book of the new sun based on this

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I started reading Steelheart! I finished the prologue (Superhero stops bank robbery! Expects fealty! Superman Steelheart comes, gibs everyone, demands fealty more! But protag sees him bleed!) and... I like the concept, I think you could do a good story about a normal person trying to assassinate superman. I just don't think Sanderson could do a good story about it.

Like, this is a plot I'd been looking for an interesting way to do for a while, so the book was super my bag. Read prologue, re-evaluated plot idea. Re-evaluated reading choices.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

CountFosco posted:

fifth head and peace and short sun are imo his best books

relatedly, there is a certain type of reader who cannot grasp the validity and value of literary criticism and sadly the Wolfe fan base is infested with them

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i have become highly attuned to that particular breathless overwrought prose ageing men slip into when they're writing something that makes them rock-hard irl. some try to hide it more than others but nobody can hide it completely

that's why i like ligotti, those unmistakeable passages where he gets just as excited as hamilton describing his genetically-engineered nymphets but instead of giggling sex athletes he is usually popping a boner about puppets and the void

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

avshalemon posted:

i have become highly attuned to that particular breathless overwrought prose ageing men slip into when they're writing something that makes them rock-hard irl. some try to hide it more than others but nobody can hide it completely

that's why i like ligotti, those unmistakeable passages where he gets just as excited as hamilton describing his genetically-engineered nymphets but instead of giggling sex athletes he is usually popping a boner about puppets and the void

I'm not sure if Sanderson has ever been aroused or excited in his life. The bigger question is whether he's awake.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Karia posted:

I'm not sure if Sanderson has ever been aroused or excited in his life. The bigger question is whether he's awake.

Is his prose the work of a nonsentient intelligence?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

*in an extremely peter watts voice* imagine you are brandon sanderson

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Please no I'd rather be an acorn dragon than live in the kind of magical hellscape a Mormon imagines the world to be then comes up with the kind of prosaic fantasy writing he does.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Wondering if Biollante is a dragon.

oh totes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The odd thing about Sanderson is that when he describes a city or a battle scene, the time taken to read his toast-dry description is the same as the time taken to watch a panning establishing shot in a movie.

Please nooooo

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

pseudanonymous posted:

Please no I'd rather be an acorn dragon than live in the kind of magical hellscape a Mormon imagines the world to be then comes up with the kind of prosaic fantasy writing he does.
i'd rather be an acorn dragon than just about anything else tbh

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Karia posted:

the only time he tweaked my hornyometer was when he was going on about the women who won't show their left hands

there's one point where a little girl's magically trapped in a library and when she's freed and reunites with her father the only physical description whatesoever either of them gets is "she was too young to wear a modesty sleeve", which kind of made me uncomfortable

mormons

avshalemon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 5, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Mormon brandon sanderson" is fun to say at least

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Last time, we established that Sanderson can't write battle scenes. Now, we'll see how he handles a more pastoral setting and look at some of his vaunted worldbuilding. Part two of The Way of Kings opens with an interlude. I will reproduce large parts of this with little comment. You can judge the writing yourselves.

The fledgling Brandon Sanderson stumbles through the bushes. While most species would be fully matured at 200 pages, the nascent themes of this young writer are only beginning to bloom.

quote:

Ishikk splashed towards the meeting with the strange foreigners, whistling softly to himself, his pole with buckets on each end resting on his shoulders. He wore lake sandals on his submerged feet and a pair of knee-length breeches. No shirt. Nu Ralik forbid! A good Purelaker never covered his shoulders when the sun was shining. A man could get sick that way, not getting enough sunlight.
He whistled, but not because he was having a pleasant day. In point of fact, the day Nu Ralik had provided was close to horrible. Only five fish swam in Ishikk's buckets, and four were of the dullest, most common variety. The tides had been irregular, as if the Purelake itself was in a foul mood. Bad days were coming; sure as the sun and the tide, they were.
The Purelake extended in all directions, hundreds of miles wide, its glassy surface perfectly transperent. At its deepest, it was never more than six feet from shimmering surface to the bottom - and in most places, the warm, slow-moving water came up only to about midcalf. It was filled with tiny fish, colorful cremlings, and eel-like riverspren.
Uh... Let's skip ahead a page, nothing's happening. All I'm skipping over is the revelation that Purelakers walk carefully but confidently so they won't trip in the water.

This Sanderson is unusually aggressive. The species is well known for extreme caution, often writing circles around its prey - a juicy theme or plot point - for several pages before beginning their slow approach.

quote:

He nodded to Thaspic, a dark-skinned man who passed him pulling a small raft. It was stacked with a few piles of cloth; he'd probably taken them out for washing.
"Ho, Ishikk," the scrawny man said. "How's fishing?"
"Terrible," he called. "Vun Makak has blighted me right good today. And you?"
"Lost a shirt while washing," Thaspic replied, his voice pleasant.
Ok, so I get Purelakers are really easygoing. Just in case you don't, the rest of this section will continue to hammer this home with a sledgehammer.

The Sanderson seems about to strike, but gets distracted by one of its favorite morsels: fantasy idioms. EDIT: CORRECTED FROM SWEARING BECAUSE I CAN'T PROOFREAD.

quote:

"Sun and tides send it!" Thaspic said with a chuckle, continuing on.
... I'm just going to keep skipping. Maybe there'll be some emotion when he meets the woman who keeps trying to seduce him?

But after its snack, the Sanderson grows tired and goes to sleep. There will be plenty of time for plot - after it wakes up.

quote:

Maib stood inside, fixing a pot of fish soup, and she nodded to him. She was a stout woman and had been chasing Ishikk for years, trying to bait him to wed her on account of her fine cooking. He just might let her catch him someday.

She eyed him. "Good fishing?"
"Terrible."
"Ah, well, your soup is free today, Ishikk. To make up for Vun Makak's cursing.

"There's a kolgril in the bucket for you," he noted. "Caught it early this morning."
Her stout face grew uncertain. A kolgril was a very lucky fish. Cured aching joints for a good month after you ate it... One kolgril would be two weeks of soup, and would put her in debt to him.

Foreigners were so stupid. Of course Nu Ralik was their god, but you always pretended that he wasn't. Vun Makak - his younger, spiteful brother - had to be tricked into thinking you were worshiping him, otherwise he'd get jealous. It was only safe to speak of these things in a holy grotto.
Let's just sum this up. The full extent of Sanderson's worldbuilding here is:
  • There's a bigass lake. It's, like, so big. And it's full of spren. (Is that dirty? It sounds dirty. I guess we found Sanderson's eros.)
  • The people who live there are really chill, and they don't wear shirts.
  • They know how to walk in lakes! Because it's got rocks!
  • They've got a god who's nice, and a god who's a dick that they have to pretend to worship.
  • They've got lucky fish.
This is the reason that I frown on worldbuilding as a goal in and of itself. Any short look at a fictional society is inherently going to be facile. Sanderson is a tourist: he comes in, sees a couple things on the surface, and starts crowing about how "all Purelakers are so relaxed!" There's no depth here, it's just a chance for Sanderson to crow about how many different cultures he's written.

Now, I just want to make this clear: this isn't a bad amount of worldbuilding in the space Sanderson gives it. The interlude is only seven pages long. But if this is the depth you're going to hit it at, why bother? The Purelake doesn't show up again in the next 1000 pages of this book. According to the wiki, it's in book 2 as a place for the SKYBREAKERS to hold initiation ceremonies (two chapters out of 122.) And maybe there's a hint that it'll be important in book four. There is no reason that the Purelake needed to be introduced right now. It is nothing but meaningless cruft so he can claim that his novel has depth. He wrote fantasy stereotype Hawaiians with a funny religion for you to laugh at. That's all.

I have now covered four out of seven pages in this first (of three) interludes. I'm going to pause for now, because I've got a full-on rant about the next three. This interlude is really hitting my buttons. Anticipate that tomorrow.

Karia fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 5, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:munch:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The thing I never get about fantasy swearing is that it never sounds like swearing.

Think of how we curse. The words are short and sharp and sound good when you're frustrated. poo poo! gently caress! Prick! rear end! Maybe it's a bit longer, like, motherfucker or goddamnit. Battlestar Galactica got it right with 'frak' but that's because it's just gently caress with some different words in the middle.

"Sun and tides send it?" It's like Staveley's "Shael take it!" It's just nonsense.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
To be fair, the character isn't actually angry. It's a cheerfully wry line. There are plenty of people who will yell, "Dammit!" if they're mad about something immediate but sigh, "Lord have mercy..." if they've just been having a generally bad day.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 5, 2019

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

The thing I never get about fantasy swearing is that it never sounds like swearing.

Think of how we curse. The words are short and sharp and sound good when you're frustrated. poo poo! gently caress! Prick! rear end! Maybe it's a bit longer, like, motherfucker or goddamnit. Battlestar Galactica got it right with 'frak' but that's because it's just gently caress with some different words in the middle.

"Sun and tides send it?" It's like Staveley's "Shael take it!" It's just nonsense.

Actually... I'm gonna do a mea culpa on that one. I think I misread the line.

In full context:

quote:

"Vun Makak send they don't eat her out of home," Ishikk said, continuing on his way. "Or infect her with their constant worries."
"Sun and tides send it!" Thaspic said with a chuckle, continuing one.

I initially thought it was something along the lines of "screw them", referring to the foreigners, it's vague enough that it's really not clear what it means. But in other contexts in the chapter, it's made more clear that it means something along the lines of "god willing." I figured that out pretty quickly, but I guess I forgot to fix my draft to say "idioms" rather than "swears."

quote:

Nu Ralik send that they don't, he thought.

It's an awkward line, but I read it wrong. I'll fix that.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Karia posted:

its glassy surface perfectly transparent

the redundancy in this stuff just seems engineered for skim reading

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Can you imagine that, a loving shallow lake hundreds of miles wide, supporting a diverse ecosystem, set in a magical world. How wonderful it would be. However, “glasslike” and “transparent” is all the space that Sanderson is prepared to waste on describing the lake. How does he pad his thousands of pages then?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zoracle Zed posted:

the redundancy in this stuff just seems engineered for skim reading

Bingo. In the words of a publisher I've spoken to, there's a growing market of selling books to people who don't like reading. I'd say Sanderson was just ahead of the curve.

Like, I'm really not kidding when I say I can't recall anything about Steelheart. I know I finished it and I know I got a few pages into the sequel before putting it down with the distinct feeling I'd read everything Sanderson could offer me in this genre. I could rattle off all sorts of stuff about my opinion of Traitor Baru. I've been spending the past few pages defending the honor of Watts' dumb fictional vampires. The Expanse books, well, I've mentioned the noted repeated line about people wasting half-eaten meals. But Steelheart is literally a void in my memory. Even The Emperor's Blades has some space in my brain, simply because I can recall how much I disliked it and why I disliked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So why was he whistling?