Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I remain unconvinced by these arguments, and will continue to piss standing up, and posting while doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Perfect Element posted:

Becocked sit-pissers, please explain to me why you sit down to piss. I don't understand it at all. In fact, I think being able to piss accurately while standing up is perhaps the greatest thing about having a penis.

Makes it easier to post, also just a chance for a little rest. Why would you stand up?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A pro-smacking charity lol wtf. Will be donating all my endorsement money as a professional poster to a pro-sitdowntopiss charity

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

I'm a stand up guy. I'd poo poo standing up if it wasn't socially unacceptable.
Where are you making GBS threads where anyone can pass comment?

Squatting is the superior making GBS threads position.

ThomasPaine posted:

That they became the big Other in the Third Reich was actually a bit of a bizarre ideological development at the global level, but you have to understand that as the product of a very complex set of conditions specific to Germany, not the fault of one individual.
Half of that was the direct fault of France and their ridiculously paranoid and antisemitic turn of the century.

The other half was native German, but every time they tried to found a pure Aryan colony free of Jewish influence during that proto-nazi period they all got cholera and shat themselves to death. lmao Bernhard Förster

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

Becocked sit-pissers, please explain to me why you sit down to piss. I don't understand it at all. In fact, I think being able to piss accurately while standing up is perhaps the greatest thing about having a penis.

I am informed by someone with whom I had a full and frank discussion on the topic that you get 'back flows'.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My parents didn't smack me & I turned out all kinds of hosed up, checkmate libs :smug:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also if anyone understands the biological phenomenon where it doesn't matter how long you take & how absolutely sure you are you've finished pissing, you tuck everything away & then immediately there's a final dribble, please explain because God drat

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Also if anyone understands the biological phenomenon where it doesn't matter how long you take & how absolutely sure you are you've finished pissing, you tuck everything away & then immediately there's a final dribble, please explain because God drat

Not enough flow for the final stretch.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Borrovan posted:

gotta keep up your kegels my man

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013
ASK ME WHAT I DID TO KEEP MY STAR AFTER EDITING OTHER PEOPLES POSTS

8============D

Borrovan posted:

Try wringing it out like a dishcloth.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay so in relation to child smacking there is a weird other side to it.

Now obviously I'm not in favour of smacking children to discipline them. Since at the end of the day it's just a stronger person (adult) using violence on a weaker one (child) which is just awful.

HOWEVER....as many parents (and I know there are some in this thread) can attest there is this really weird biological imperative to perform aggression on children.

Now I know having said this most of you will be reaching for the :staredog: or :stonk: emojis, but hear me out.

Parents or grand parents or uncles/aunts around kids are very often struck by these weird desires to do physical sorts of play with kids which if done between two adults would be like the beginings of a fight.
I'm talking about stuff like the urge to pick up children and hold them above your head, tickling, pretending to "eat" children, pincing cheeks, rubbing them on the head.

These are all playful, normal developmental behavior between parents/Guardians and their children.
But it seems to be rooted in some almost animal level of logic of "use violence to establish I am more dominant than you."
(Sort of like how dogs when playing will try and put their teeth around another dogs neck. And how babies will often start laughing when they see a dog showing teeth. It's a fear response.)

Again I'm not saying that we should trash children with belts or anything. But that from a biological point of view, we probably do want to be aggressive around kids. And it's generations of civilization that is making us hold ourselves back from doing it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't know why we still use this literally centuries old plumbing tech. Haven't NASA developed some sort of vacuum pipe?

The Question IRL posted:

Parents or grand parents or uncles/aunts around kids are very often struck by these weird desires to do physical sorts of play with kids which if done between two adults would be like the beginings of a fight.
I'm talking about stuff like the urge to pick up children and hold them above your head, tickling, pretending to "eat" children, pincing cheeks, rubbing them on the head.

Wtf sort of fights have you been in?

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 21, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The Question IRL posted:

Now obviously I'm not in favour of smacking children to discipline them. Since at the end of the day it's just a stronger person (adult) using violence on a weaker one (child) which is just awful.

HOWEVER....as many parents (and I know there are some in this thread) can attest there is this really weird biological imperative to perform aggression on children.

Now I know having said this most of you will be reaching for the :staredog: or :stonk: emojis, but hear me out.

These are all playful, normal developmental behavior between parents/Guardians and their children.
But it seems to be rooted in some almost animal level of logic of "use violence to establish I am more dominant than you."
(Sort of like how dogs when playing will try and put their teeth around another dogs neck. And how babies will often start laughing when they see a dog showing teeth. It's a fear response.)

Again I'm not saying that we should trash children with belts or anything. But that from a biological point of view, we probably do want to be aggressive around kids. And it's generations of civilization that is making us hold ourselves back from doing it.

right, yeah

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Question IRL posted:

But that from a biological point of view, we probably do want to be aggressive around kids. And it's generations of civilization that is making us hold ourselves back from doing it.

I feel like you may have this a bit backwards, we're not biologically predisposed to anything, literally all of our behaviours are the product of our social world in one form or another.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ I think he's saying it's a natural urge to teach young how to play fight, like dogs or lions. Which would make sense if we lived in a field and hunted raw meat and fought each other bare fisted for territory, which we don't.

Anyway, our parents used to hit us, and then my mam trained as a playgroup leader and learned in great detail why you shouldn't, so they stopped when I was in my early teens. Which means I have the unconscious urge to hit things when they frustrate me from early childhood and impotent rage at having to not hit things from being a teen. Worst of both worlds!

Unfortunately there were no books/ courses about teaching your child that love is unconditional.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 21, 2022

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I feel like you may have this a bit backwards, we're not biologically predisposed to anything, literally all of our behaviours are the product of our social world in one form or another.

then where did the first social norms come from?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Agreed, my balls never flinched until I read about the cremasteric reflex, now they can't stop jiggling!

But no really this is a weird and dumb take

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Two groups of hominins fighting over the correct orientation to poo poo and piss.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If smacking isn't allowed, what about Hadoukens?

As kids the fear was put into us by mum of the wooden spoon.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Big monolith said so

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'd argue that as a society we've been trained to love violence and retribution while also have a massive deference to those who dish it out to us, so the only outlet is those weaker than us. Nae biological imperative,just power.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The Question IRL posted:

Again I'm not saying that we should trash children with belts or anything.

They're idiots, loving morons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8============D

The Question IRL posted:

I would say personally that I hated having those things done to me as a child and thus, as an adult, I would not feel the impulse to do them to children because I would expect the child to also hate it, and it seems like a very weird idea and I don't at all buy that it is "biological" to want to do that.

To be perfectly honest I think you should observe as much as possible, the same degree of personal boundaries with your child that you would with any other human, not least because this is behaviour they should learn and demonstrate with others.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 21, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd argue that as a society we've been trained to love violence and retribution while also have a massive deference to those who dish it out to us, so the only outlet is those weaker than us. Nae biological imperative,just power.

yup

abusive societies produce abusive people

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Xenu.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I was smacked by my dad when I did something particularly ‘naughty’. I don’t really bear him any ill will over it, and he’s very much of a different generation- he was a prefect and caned younger boys at school for example. Last time I can remember it happening was when I was seven and had amused myself while doing homework by stabbing my pencil multiple times quite deeply into the surface of the kitchen table. He smacked me six times, I cried and sure as poo poo didn’t do it again.

My mum however once the menopause struck would go loving mental and attack me. I can remember walking down the Appian Way in Rome aged fifteen with her screaming, slapping and kicking me because she thought I was hunching over to spite her (?)- I have curvature of the spine which was /much/ worse when I was a teen. That I /do/ still bear a lot of anger over. Tbh her psycho-fits only stopped when I ended up grabbing her and physically throwing her (literally) out of my room when I was about 17.

So yeah, there’s a difference between discipline and abuse but frankly I don’t trust most people to know where that line is at the best of times so better just to avoid totally.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Clean Your Teeth posted:

The first oval office to realise he was bigger and stronger than the other cunts.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Clean Your Teeth posted:

The immediate material needs of hunter gatherer societies, I would imagine. Which then changed as those societies developed and exerted new pressures on their members. Existence precedes essence, and all that, if you want to get wanky about it.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed, my balls never flinched until I read about the cremasteric reflex, now they can't stop jiggling!

But no really this is a weird and dumb take

Come on now I'm obviously talking about interpersonal behaviour, which is absolutely not fixed and is far more influenced by environment than biology.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 21, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Social Norman, obviously.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ThomasPaine posted:

if you want to get wanky about it.

you do know where you're posting?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Under the present brutal and primitive conditions on this planet, every person you meet should be regarded as one of the walking wounded. We have never seen a man or woman not slightly deranged by either anxiety or grief. We have never seen a totally sane human being.

Jedit posted:

Social Norman

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Camrath posted:

I was smacked by my dad when I did something particularly ‘naughty’. I don’t really bear him any ill will over it, and he’s very much of a different generation- he was a prefect and caned younger boys at school for example. Last time I can remember it happening was when I was seven and had amused myself while doing homework by stabbing my pencil multiple times quite deeply into the surface of the kitchen table. He smacked me six times, I cried and sure as poo poo didn’t do it again.

My mum however once the menopause struck would go loving mental and attack me. I can remember walking down the Appian Way in Rome aged fifteen with her screaming, slapping and kicking me because she thought I was hunching over to spite her (?)- I have curvature of the spine which was /much/ worse when I was a teen. That I /do/ still bear a lot of anger over. Tbh her psycho-fits only stopped when I ended up grabbing her and physically throwing her (literally) out of my room when I was about 17.

So yeah, there’s a difference between discipline and abuse but frankly I don’t trust most people to know where that line is at the best of times so better just to avoid totally.

what your dad did to you was also abuse, just less so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8============D
There really isn't anything that you cannot teach people by means other than violence, so the use of violence as a method of instruction is entirely for the gratification of the person doing it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Question IRL posted:

I do this stuff with my daughter because it makes her laugh. It's the opposite of violence.

Apart from pinching cheeks, which I don't do, because it seems a bit violent & I find the idea of violence towards her physically repellent, which kind of undermines your thesis

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

There really isn't anything that you cannot teach people by means other than violence, so the use of violence as a method of instruction is entirely for the gratification of the person doing it.

sans the bourgeoise, ofc

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

He's not saying there's anything wrong with doing violence to the bourgeoise

just that it's gratifying

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to seize all their noses.

OwlFancier posted:

Or loss of self control. We're not perfect at self control, but that's why the debate should be on how to manage that better rather than what specific ways parents should be 'allowed' by legislative fiat to do so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8============D

ThomasPaine posted:

sans the bourgeoise, ofc

Even then I don't think the violence would be instructive, forcing someone to stop doing something isn't the same as teaching them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

sans the bourgeoise, ofc

Thats just it though, corrective violence only ever moves downwards. A group of ten police beating up a teenager because they looked at them funny is corrective and righteous , a group of ten teenagers making oink noises at one cop is lawlessness and evil. It's just power worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The notion that there's nothing about our behaviour rooted in biology seems like a very hubristic and anthropocentric attitude. I don't have kids so I can't say whether I'd feel any violent impulse with my children, but I can say that as a human being I regularly feel involuntary impulses of varying intensities which I overcome through conscious thought. I don't see that the difference between us and other animals is that they display biological behaviours and we don't, it's that we have greater capacity to overcome biological behaviours through social conditioning and conscious discipline.