Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Is there a way to tell the mana cost of a spell. I'm yet to figure that out.

Click the cog in the lower right of the main screen, and select Detailed Help. I THINK you can do this in a battle, but not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Yup that did it. Puts a number in the color orb to reflect the number needed. Don't know why that isn't something that's just on by default.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Are there any spots open in the guild? I can only play sporadically, but I've got a buttload (~ 10,000) of gold I can use to pitch in).

Edit: Name is Shroud.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Coffeehitler posted:

Click the cog in the lower right of the main screen, and select Detailed Help. I THINK you can do this in a battle, but not sure.

:stare: I did not know this.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Shroud posted:

Are there any spots open in the guild? I can only play sporadically, but I've got a buttload (~ 10,000) of gold I can use to pitch in).

Edit: Name is Shroud.

Invited to Gem Blossums

Davethulhu posted:

Been playing this for a few weeks now, didn't realize there was a goon presence. If there are still slots in the goon guild open, I'll apply when I get home from work.

I do have a question though, played my first arena yesterday (went 8-0), but I was stuck with the crude club. How do you set your weapon in arena mode?

What's your invite code? There isn't applying really, you can't search for guilds in any sane sense. We'll just invite

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:stare: I did not know this.

Correction: You can't turn it on in battle, only from the main screen.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Do you get the souls back from leveling your troops if you fire your guys later? I don't want to level these random units I've been getting if it'll all be a waste.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Invited to Gem Blossums

What's your invite code? There isn't applying really, you can't search for guilds in any sane sense. We'll just invite

I'm pretty sure it's ZOOT_1. However I'm currently in a pubbie guild so I probably have to leave that first, right? Will have to do that when I get home.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SeaTard posted:

Do you get the souls back from leveling your troops if you fire your guys later? I don't want to level these random units I've been getting if it'll all be a waste.

Every level 15 unit increases the level of its home city by one, so it has value even if you're not actually fighting.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SeaTard posted:

You don't get a refund but there is an increase of souls. But like someone said level 15 units are valuable even if they aren't on your team.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Obscil posted:

Hey kutku fan, would you please kick out daishan14 and vulturesrow. They both haven't logged in for 2 weeks.

Sure thing. While I'm at it, I'm going to see if I can get you promoted... I'm happy to be a powerless grunt. I've been busy with work and not contributing as much as I would like to. Promoting folks is a hassle, but guild maintenance is important.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Ok, I'm home and have left my pubbie guild. Please invite ZOOT_1 when you have a chance.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Davethulhu posted:

Ok, I'm home and have left my pubbie guild. Please invite ZOOT_1 when you have a chance.

invite sent.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Sure thing. While I'm at it, I'm going to see if I can get you promoted... I'm happy to be a powerless grunt. I've been busy with work and not contributing as much as I would like to. Promoting folks is a hassle, but guild maintenance is important.

As my first act as dictator of the Gem Boiz I declare today rock worm day. Rock the worm in the arena today!!! (I still can't get over that card in the arena.)

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Obscil posted:

invite sent.

Great thanks. Gonna say Gem Boiz are good luck, got my first legendary today.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Heh, level 15 cards. I'm thinking about bumping them up to level 2 or maybe 3, I don't have the souls to get level 15.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Run Arena when you can. Three or four arena runs of 8 wins will get enough souls to level up a troop to 15.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

gromdul posted:

Run Arena when you can. Three or four arena runs of 8 wins will get enough souls to level up a troop to 15.

Unfortunately Epic and Legendary take a fair bit more to level. I could stand to have a slightly better method for getting souls, as much as I do like Arena.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Jibo posted:

Unfortunately Epic and Legendary take a fair bit more to level. I could stand to have a slightly better method for getting souls, as much as I do like Arena.

Get one of the +Souls armors as soon as you can then. I have the +50%Gold/+25%Souls I think, and its pretty nice. 99% of my battles give me 5 souls instead of 4, which adds up. Once you have one or two level 15s, PVP (Invasions) becomes quite a bit easier and you can get souls every Monday from that, though you might need to achieve Rank 1 for them.

But the most efficient method for soul grinding is Arena.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Doing challenges with an Alch/Valk/Banshee team is a decent change of pace from the Arena. It's not going to be quite as efficient as Arena for souls grinding, but its something different and that team gives you a pretty decent chance at Treasure Maps in any given match.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bandire posted:

Doing challenges with an Alch/Valk/Banshee team is a decent change of pace from the Arena. It's not going to be quite as efficient as Arena for souls grinding, but its something different and that team gives you a pretty decent chance at Treasure Maps in any given match.

This is what I've been doing only with the Zhul'Kari lady instead of Banshee and it's pretty great if you're burnt out on Arena. You still get decent everything and you get to see these great big cascades and stuff.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SeaTard posted:

Heh, level 15 cards. I'm thinking about bumping them up to level 2 or maybe 3, I don't have the souls to get level 15.

Oh... yeah then really don't worry about it. You're talking soul costs so low you can probably recoup them just from using keys from your guild tasks and selling the redundant cards. Get thee to the Arena ASAP though.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

AzraelNewtype posted:

Oh... yeah then really don't worry about it. You're talking soul costs so low you can probably recoup them just from using keys from your guild tasks and selling the redundant cards. Get thee to the Arena ASAP though.

Listen to this guy. I assumed that your arena units were based on your own cards, including levels, but they're not. Everyone gets level 10 units regardless of what their own cards are. The only difference is your personal character and the weapons you have available.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is anyone using Orion? I just pulled him from a random iron key and am curious if he's worth the souls to make him level 15 -and who he pairs well with.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

porktree posted:

Is anyone using Orion? I just pulled him from a random iron key and am curious if he's worth the souls to make him level 15 -and who he pairs well with.

I have him, he pairs well with the weapon that I wasn't able to buy from last week that does double damage if an enemy has Hunter's mark :negative:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Davethulhu posted:

Listen to this guy. I assumed that your arena units were based on your own cards, including levels, but they're not. Everyone gets level 10 units regardless of what their own cards are. The only difference is your personal character and the weapons you have available.
And the default weapon is fine if you are a lowbie. Getting new weapons from leveling up mainly gives you more flexibility, allowing you to choose which color to use or how your attack works.

Arena is great for lowbies. Use the tier list in the OP to pick your team and profit.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If people have been avoiding the challenges, reconsider. They're an easy almost-profitable (I typically make 40-60 gold, and they cost 50-80 each) way to earn tribute; just got gems and keys for free when I logged in this morning, in addition to the more typical rewards of gold and glory.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Orion is freaking dangerous at 15. Each time you use the skill its an extra 5 magic. I target Orion if its on the other team.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Shadowhunter can be quite dangerous. Just steal her color matches, but if its the first spell to go off on their team it can hit for over 20 easily.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Orion is freaking dangerous at 15. Each time you use the skill its an extra 5 magic. I target Orion if its on the other team.

The magic only affects the top-end, so it's not as crazy as it looks.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Is there any reason to keep going past 8 wins in arena?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I don't get how banshee/valk/alch works as a combo. So much double up on colours.

Also what so I need to do to unlock arena. Keeps telling me to do quests.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

EvilElmo posted:

I don't get how banshee/valk/alch works as a combo. So much double up on colours.

Finish all the broken spire quests to get arena there.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Is there any reason to keep going past 8 wins in arena?

It won't let you go past 8. Once you win the eighth, the button changes from "Fight" to "Rewards".

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

EvilElmo posted:

In my case, order is: Treant, Al, Val, Banshee.

Go for reds to power Al whose golden shower will rain down on both Val and Banshee. Use Val's ability to boost Banshee's attack which turns everything red thus powering back Al. Val's move also powers Treant's ability, but I only use it when there's nothing better to do; not uncommon to have him at 20+ attack one- or two-hitting everyone.

I've been giving those guys a break and using Gorgotha more. With him on the frontline (followed by Al, Druid and Skeleton), things go very well. I start with reds to power Al to power Gorgotha. Druid is there as a backup and to have someone use blue/green gems (gets powered pretty fast with Gorg's move). Skeleton is the ace in the hole: he creates skulls and gives you another turn, perfect to use when Gorgotha is powered-up. It's a massacre.

Oh, and I've just got Keeper of Souls. Doesn't give you an extra turn, but turns the board into a sea of skulls. Legendary pals are gonna wreck poo poo :getin:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

EvilElmo posted:

This group is constantly converting unneeded colors, so you are still using green and blue just not directly.

I use Adana as the home kingdom for the red/yellow boost. Match red/brown to power up the Alchemist as soon as possible. Then cast his spell on a color that gives you a 5 match if possible as they give double mana. Try not to use the Alchemist on Red or Blue gems because that makes chaining harder.

Finish powering up Valk/Banshee if they aren't already. Once they are both ready, cast Valkyrie's skill on anything but Red that will give you an 4+ match and extra turn. Then cast Banshee's skill, hopefully giving you a 4+ match, an extra turn, and powering up the Alchemist again to start the cycle over. Once you get rolling you can go several turns in a row and end the match pretty often.

For the fourth (really the first) member, I like to use something tanky that doesn't use red, yellow or brown. Treant is a good choice as Seravid mentioned. Hero with a blue weapon is also good. I use Deepstone since it gives me some board manipulation when I don't have any good options to continue chain casting.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Oh, and I've just got Keeper of Souls. Doesn't give you an extra turn, but turns the board into a sea of skulls. Legendary pals are gonna wreck poo poo :getin:

Yeah, Keeper of Souls owns. I'm running a team right now with Gloom Leaf/Keeper of Souls, and it's just ridiculous.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

a shameful boehner posted:

I have him, he pairs well with the weapon that I wasn't able to buy from last week that does double damage if an enemy has Hunter's mark :negative:
Holy crap - I did this, and added a Druid and a Flame Cannon. I have absolutely rolled over everyone so far. I miss Sapphira, so I might switch out the weapon and drop the Druid.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Currently running Luther (who i keep calling Uther, stupid WoW) Atlanta, Alchemist and Druid

Get reds, use Alch to power Atlanta. Luther loves skulls and making my Alch/Druid do decent damage. Druid is there so i have a actual use for green gems.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Her name is Atalanta, and the devs are idiots who can't spell mythological Greek names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, Keeper of Souls owns. I'm running a team right now with Gloom Leaf/Keeper of Souls, and it's just ridiculous.

He just got a buff this week too. His ability cost 2 less now.