Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Genuinely surprised by this. Lets get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Now that Khabib is gone, fighters whose wrestling didn't stack up have their stock rising, and a whole lot more matchups are legitimate for moving you closer to a title shot. It'll be fun.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Chandler’s going to be UFC champion within two fights of joining the org and he’s going to get blasted into retirement probably just as quick.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kimbo305 posted:

Now that Khabib is gone, fighters whose wrestling didn't stack up have their stock rising, and a whole lot more matchups are legitimate for moving you closer to a title shot. It'll be fun.

yup, imo too

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

sure, dustin poirier is right there, but what the hell, let's do another mcgregor fight and give the title shot to the guy who beat dan hooker instead

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah, can't say I really care for that matchmaking either.

Dustin is gonna collect another good payday at least.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

It's a strange set of events but we ended up with Charles Oliveira fighting for the title and that is the correct result.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If they were serious about eye pokes they would make it an automatic 1 point deduction. Fighters would sure as poo poo make the effort.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Why are you posting random people's twitter? Why not post the news website?

Oh, those two people are mma media? Oops, I would never have known.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
seeing oliveira breaking through now reminds me of robbie lawlers career resurgence to champion and like lawler i've always been a massive oliveira fan. incredibly entertaining.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

BlindSite posted:

If they were serious about eye pokes they would make it an automatic 1 point deduction. Fighters would sure as poo poo make the effort.

also this. sure someone could engineer a glove to stop people being dipshits but what would also work is the second you extend your fingers at the face you lose a point. it would literally take one ref, in one fight to do this and eye pokes would all but disappear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Why are you posting random people's twitter? Why not post the news website?

Oh, those two people are mma media? Oops, I would never have known.

I feel like you've been around long enough to know how much people hate noted MMA journalist personality entity Ariel Helwani.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

It's still really funny to me that despite the direct partnership with ESPN and Helwani working for ESPN he is still essentially unwelcome at UFC events.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Chandler/Oliveira is good. Poirier deserves a title shot but he has transcended the need for a belt to draw $$$. Poirier/Conor 3 will make him richer than facing Chandler or Oliveira or Gaethje ever would. I feel the same way about Masvidal which is why I'm a little down on him getting a second shot

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not up to date on the lightweight ranking and title picture, but I know Chandler doesn't deserve the shot. So who is he leapfrogging?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Untrustable posted:

I'm not up to date on the lightweight ranking and title picture, but I know Chandler doesn't deserve the shot. So who is he leapfrogging?

Dustin Poirier, but I think he's also said that he'd prefer the Conor fight at this point or Nate Diaz just for more money.

Technically he's leapfrogging Justin Gaethje as well but I'm not sure if he's ready to fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Untrustable posted:

by chandler are we talking about long time bellator champion michael chandler who appeared in the ufc and annihilated a guy who had a foty with dustin poirier? he doesn't deserve a shot? i haven't been following poo poo recently but this seems like hyperbole.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Chandler getting the opportunity weirdly makes sense at the moment--he really benefits from every other top lightweight coming off one or several losses. It does seem nuts having him in the title picture already, especially as it's not like he came into the UFC as the reigning Bellator champion (he fought Hooker on the back of a 2-fight win streak over Bendo and, err, Sydney Outlaw), but even if he fought the worst Dan Hooker we've ever seen, he did step in there after a sizable promotional push and lived up to the hype by easily taking a tough top 5 guy's spot. Makes promotional sense to ride the shiny new top 5 guy's momentum instead of giving the opportunity to Gaethje coming off of a definitive stoppage loss, to Tony after he was beaten badly in his past 45ish minutes in the octagon, or to RDA for getting a top 10 win after years getting bullied around at welterweight.

It clearly should be Poirier in there versus Oliveira to determine the actual #1 lightweight at this point in history. Poirier's in a real great spot, though, so good for him.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

by chandler are we talking about long time bellator champion michael chandler who appeared in the ufc and annihilated a guy who had a foty with dustin poirier? he doesn't deserve a shot? i haven't been following poo poo recently but this seems like hyperbole.

The guy who had his last non-ufc fight against Benson Henderson and beat Dan Hooker in his one and only UFC fight. It's like giving Ben Askren a title shot after he beat former champion and foty winner Robbie Lawler.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Untrustable posted:

It's like giving Ben Askren a title shot after he beat former champion and foty winner Robbie Lawler.

You're right Askren was robbed of a title shot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Untrustable posted:

The guy who had his last non-ufc fight against Benson Henderson and beat Dan Hooker in his one and only UFC fight. It's like giving Ben Askren a title shot after he beat former champion and foty winner Robbie Lawler.

is it like that? did ben askren annihilate someone masvidal struggled to beat recently? if so give him the shot i guess. after he makes more money boxing jake loving paul than he ever got paid in the ufc of course.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I guess it's just my annoyance with the UFC hyping up a promotional newcomer and skipping over people who put in the work for the promotion.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i think it's great because michael chandler sucks and do bronx will be the new champ and no one deserves it more

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Those are all sick fights. Really curious to see how TJ looks in his return.

I guess Dana has finally moved into the acceptance phase re: Khabib.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oliviera is going to be champ

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Oliviera’s going to get lamped and then Chandler’s going to lose his title on short notice to, oh, I don’t know, Michael Johnson.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Anybody ever tell you you look a tiny bit like Michael Chandler?
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/72Vo/dave-and-busters-bellator-mma-featuring-michael-chandler

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Kevin Holland’s interview in the athletic is great

quote:

You do seem to like to talk to opponents during the fight. Is that something that just comes naturally? Are you doing it to get in your opponent’s head?

It comes naturally, but then it does get in the opponent’s head sometimes, so that’s beneficial. But I’m just a talker, man. I love to talk, you know? That’s why they could schedule me for like 20 interviews in one day and it’d be no problem. I like to talk, so if it’s conversation you want, it’s conversation you will get. And if it’s conversation you don’t want, I feel bad for you because it’s conversation you’re still going to get.

quote:

Where do you fit into that with a win? We’ve got guys like Robert Whittaker and Kelvin Gastelum fighting next. Adesanya keeps talking about Darren Till. Where are you in all that?

I’m going to 170 pounds. The guys who are fighting for the 185 belt, they don’t ever mention my name. They don’t want to fight me. I’m that one guy they’re kind of running from. They’re looking at me like, ‘drat that’s the dark horse, I don’t want to fight him.’ They’re running around trying to fight everybody but me. So I’ll probably go to 170.

quote:

That seems like a tough weight cut for a middleweight your size.

No, that’s not a tough cut for me. It’d be a tough cut for me if I cut to make 185, but I don’t cut to make it. If you look at me on the scale and then look at everyone else on the scale, they’re sucked in and I’m just looking sexy. So no, it wouldn’t be too tough a cut. I’d only have to cut about 20 pounds, which is what most people cut. I walk around at 195, 196 at the most. If I actually went on a diet I’d be about 188 or 185. So I’d only have to cut 15 pounds. Not a big deal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/TheSchmo312/status/1372943496051519490

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm no doctor but I would say that seems to suggest weight cutting is dangerous and shouldn't happen.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The truly incredible thing isn't that she fainted, it's that after she fainted they immediately let her get back on the scale and weigh in again, after which she collapsed a second time.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CarlCX posted:

The truly incredible thing isn't that she fainted, it's that after she fainted they immediately let her get back on the scale and weigh in again, after which she collapsed a second time.

...they didn't call off the fight then and there? WTF

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

Kevin Holland’s interview in the athletic is great

No hardballs on his Covid comments?

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

kensei posted:

...they didn't call off the fight then and there? WTF

They'll call it off, finishing the weigh-in is a procedure thing I assume. If they don't they are bad!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

reeg posted:

finishing the weigh-in is a procedure thing I assume.
Doesn't make sense that athletic commissions would prioritize getting the weight over athlete safety.
I mean it still might have been their call here, but they're adult in the room in this scenario, compared to the UFC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It looks like she's standing with locked knees at first. That can put someone out who isn't cutting weight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

reeg posted:

They'll call it off, finishing the weigh-in is a procedure thing I assume. If they don't they are bad!

She actually did finish the weigh-in the second time and only fell after they announced she'd made weight, so they legally could let her fight, but boy it would be pretty loving irresponsible.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Watched the JRE episode with Leon Edwards that just came out last night, pretty interesting hearing a bit more of his background and other than him believing the Belal fight should count as a win for him and everyone should just move on, I thought I agreed with most things he had to say, he seems like an alright dude.

Watched the episode with Claressa Shields after that, which I originally didn't notice since it wasn't tagged as an MMA show, apparently her deal with PFL is 3 years after which she'll decide whether or not to enter their 155lb tournament, says she could make 145 with some changes but doesn't want to, but Dana might create a 155lb division for her a la cyborg if she's good enough in 3-4 years or so. Meanwhile she's not even switching to MMA full time, says she wants to be champ in boxing and MMA at the same time, I can't remember if it was specifically UFC champ or if a PFL belt will do for that, though.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It looks like she's standing with locked knees at first. That can put someone out who isn't cutting weight.

What?

Brut fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 19, 2021

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Apparently it can restrict blood flowing to your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CarlCX posted:

She actually did finish the weigh-in the second time and only fell after they announced she'd made weight, so they legally could let her fight, but boy it would be pretty loving irresponsible.

It's been called off thankfully, as reported by TMZ(??)