Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder what spurred Axel getting the boot. I don't recall him getting embroiled in any particular controversy.

They've been a bit sluggish since Secret Wars. Their 'Legacy' launch didn't garner a lot of interest. Civil War 2 and especially Secret Empire were bad press bombs.
I dunno if it mattered, but he made the comment about artists not 'moving the needle' on comic sales, which I remember being really close to the other guy saying readers didn't want their diversity push. It hasn't been a great time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Can someone explain to me the context of these tweets? Specifically the allegations about D'Orazio, less so the Chris Sims stuff alluded to here.

https://twitter.com/davidwynne/status/936131796936351744

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iron spike (an indie pub owner) yesterday made a tweet saying Chris sims led an orchestrated attack on her and it was swept under the rug, I'll see if i can dig it up

E:
https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/935714007499100161

site fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 30, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Barry Convex posted:

Can someone explain to me the context of these tweets? Specifically the allegations about D'Orazio, less so the Chris Sims stuff alluded to here.

A few years ago, IIRC, D'Orazio said she got the hell brigaded out of her by an online hatefest that was led by Sims, in the context that he wrote some mean things about D'Orazio's Punisher one-shot, Butterfly. She spoke up about it in the context of Sims getting hired by Marvel to co-write X-Men '92, which she saw as Sims being rewarded for his behavior.

As I recall, Sims admitted he'd talked poo poo about Butterfly, apologized, and took a step back from the public eye for a while.

Now Spike's brought it back up in the context of the current housecleaning frenzy, but Sims has more than his share of high-profile defenders in the comics community, who are pointing out that Sims didn't actually "lead" anything against D'Orazio and D'Orazio's portrayal of him as some kind of big-name fan puppet master is vastly overblown.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

IIRC, D'Orazio was also boiling after learning that her editor on Butterfly, who pushed her to make the story personal and use bits of her life in it, was buddies with Sims at the time, who trashed the story.

[Charlie Brown having the football pulled away but Charlie's pulling the ball away from Lucy dot jpg]

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pretty sure all Sims said about Butterfly was that he couldn't review it due to his own bias.

Basically, around the time that X-Men '92 was becoming an ongoing, Sims ran into D'Orazio's husband somewhere and apologized for being an rear end in a top hat to her years earlier online. Between this, the new series and the fact that Sims didn't apologize to her himself, it reopened old wounds and D'Orazio got the ball rolling, saying that their blogger feud gave her PTSD and lumped everyone who was negative to her as being Sims' responsibility. Sims publicly apologized and laid low for a while (I can personally attest that he wasn't in the best place) before returning to writing for Comics Alliance.

Then sometime after, D'Orazio started up some allegations that her Marvel career ended because of Sims. After Butterfly, she was supposed to do a Cloak and Dagger miniseries. That ended up not happening for one reason or another, but she noticed that the editor on that series was friendly with Sims. Therefore, an editor killed a series he was working on because of a conspiracy born from him knowing a blogger dude. You'd think that if he had that kind of pull, he'd have been writing for Marvel long before Secret Wars.

At that point, Sims' friends and fans took that as a cue that they could go back to publicly defending him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The facts are basically this:

-D'Orazio wrote a comics Sims didn't like
-Sims blogged about it, commented negatively on her blog and such (his apology letter is clear about it)
-Other people saw this and used it as an excuse to do the same
-Apparently D'Orazio in her own blogger career has been racist and ableist (I don't know the specifics, but people I trust on Twitter have commented on it)
-Sims got hired to write X-Men '92
-D'Orazio calls him out for his previous behavior
-Sims apologizes and stops his public work for the most part for awhile
-The Mary Sue writes about the above in like two lines in an article largely about sexual harassment (which no one has claimed this ever was), ignoring all context

From what I can tell, Sims' initial writing was not because of her being racist, but just because he was being an rear end in a top hat, which he has owned up to and been working to improve, while D'Orazio's behavior hasn't really changed and she continues to be a lovely person.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
E: forget it

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 30, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Iron spike (an indie pub owner) yesterday made a tweet saying Chris sims led an orchestrated attack on her and it was swept under the rug, I'll see if i can dig it up

E:
https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/935714007499100161

Take anything she says with a truckload of salt.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
So everyone's a rear end in a top hat in this situation? Sims less so it would seem (especially as he's apologized for his original behavior).

I liked Butterfly, too. What a shame.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The other thing (and why this is being brought up again) in addition to Spike's tweet is yesterday's Comics Assault Timeline which does some really weird things.

Relevant portion:

ComicsAlliance contributor Chris Sims allegedly bullies and harasses former assistant editor at DC and blogger Valerie D’Orazio to the extent that she develops PTSD. This behavior continues, unchecked by management at Marvel, until 2010.

September 2007
Valerie D’Orazio becomes president of Friends of Lulu.

June 2011
Friends of Lulu ceases operations.

1) Chris Sims was working for neither ComicsAlliance nor Marvel in 2007
2) It seems to link Friends of Lulu's folding with this campaign of harassment (or at least that's how some are interpreting it on Twitter), which is completely unrelated.
3) D'Orazio was basically the 50 Cent of 2000s comics blogging and had beef with all sorts of people, and I confess that I was one of them. I don't think there was much of anything "coordinated" about it, and I may be misremembering things but Sims's blog at the time (pre-CA) wasn't some sort of blockbuster tastemaker to the extent that he could really be a ringleader or coordinator of attacks. I'm not sure I knew who he was at the time, and even a decade later we are exceedingly casual acquaintances; I get the feeling that all negative responses to anything she posted/did were part of a monolithic campaign as opposed to the possibility that multiple people independently might believe she had a bad take.

Everyone talked a lot of poo poo back then, I'm sure lines were crossed, but it was largely people fighting over the same things people fought/fight about on BSS; whether a creator is good or bad at their job, if a cover is offensive or not, anger or confusion over changes in backstory, etc. The biggest to-do I remember getting into with her was about how she misidentified/conflated Black Lightning and Steel in reviewing some JSA trade and when it was pointed out she doubled down on the fact that Steel, Black Lightning, and indeed all black characters at DC are so poorly written and stereotyped that you can't expect the average reader to tell them apart, and fixating on her error is both racist and sexist. It was probably pedantic bullshit (to the shock of everyone who doesn't have me on ignore here) but I'm still not sure how it counts as harassment along racial or gender lines. This is how a lot of disagreements went.

4) Another notable feud was with longtime FoL member Johanna Draper-Carlson (and FoL co-founder Heidi MacDonald, and probably some other people I am forgetting) about her tenure as president. She was president for four years,

She once accused Carlson of trying to sabotage FoL by (correctly) pointing out that unless they filed the proper paperwork they'd lose their non-profit status. FoL did not file that paperwork, lost their non-profit status, D'Orazio quit, and the organization folded a year or so later. There's a lot of dots being connected (by Val and others) that don't really fit together.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 30, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So everyone's a rear end in a top hat in this situation? Sims less so it would seem (especially as he's apologized for his original behavior).

I liked Butterfly, too. What a shame.

Apologizing doesn't make you less of an rear end in a top hat. Apologizing a lot of times is more of a defensive reaction for getting caught than an actual bridge to helping and depending on context, can actually continue to victimize by opening old wounds.

I'm not saying that's the case here and I'm also not saying that D'Orazio isn't also an rear end in a top hat, I'm just saying that Sims almost certainly had ulterior motives for apologizing considering the circumstances for doing so. He may have been heartfelt in the apology but he also was using it as a defense mechanism to keep the job that was just announced.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

From what I remember, Sims apologized to D'Orazio's husband who had reached out to him for some reason, which infuriated her, which is what caused the issue to come up again in 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Thanks for the replies, guys. I hadn’t looked too closely into the details of what Sims actually did or its context, and it seems that neither party comes off particularly well here.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

For a while there I was thinking of Dave Sim instead and the whole story made perfect sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I hadn’t looked too closely into the details of what Sims actually did or its context, and it seems that neither party comes off particularly well here.

Eh. Every version I've been seeing has been that Sims was specifically lovely with one person while D'Orazio is consistently lovely with a lot of people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Eh. Every version I've been seeing has been that Sims was specifically lovely with one person while D'Orazio is consistently lovely with a lot of people.

Same. Sims is well liked by pretty much everyone in the industry and only has one black mark on hia record. Meanwhile Val seems to make enemies everywhere she goes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Sims was pretty lovely in that situation and for sure earned that little asterisk on his rep, but Val has a huge history of being an incredibly toxic person with her own trail of victims. Sims probably shouldn't have gotten Mad Online at her knowing he had a following that would be...internet comic people...about it but she's a huge racist piece of poo poo who tried to carry 'a guy was a dick to me once' as her own personal cross to hide behind whenever anyone says 'hey why do you keep calling people you dislike insane and holy poo poo you got some race issues huh'.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I don't know what it is about Iron Spike that makes her feel the need to weigh in on drama she doesn't understand and has no stake in but it's more than obnoxious.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

I don't know what it is about Iron Spike that makes her feel the need to weigh in on drama she doesn't understand and has no stake in but it's more than obnoxious.

Well, she used to post on this site.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How do you people know all this stuff? I feel like I'm a comics fan but can't effortlessly recall some minor writer's blog posts from a decade ago.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

:shrug: People like reading minor writer's blogs

Sims is a pretty chill comic's personality and I've been reading his blog and editorials since near beginning

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of, which blogs do you guys read? I used to follow ComicsAlliance but that is no more, and I find most comic news websites to be pretty arid as far as info and behind the scenes stuff goes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Typical Pubbie posted:

I don't have anything against her, but I do think that as an indie publisher, she's naturally inclined to focus on lovely things about mainstream comics.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

A Strange Aeon posted:

How do you people know all this stuff? I feel like I'm a comics fan but can't effortlessly recall some minor writer's blog posts from a decade ago.
I was reading the old Invincible Super Blog in 2007 and was aware of Valerie's blog (though I wasn't a regular reader) and I don't remember or know about any of this. I don't remember any 'beef' that Chris had with her about whatever and my only recollection of D'Orazio is that she was treated pretty lovely by DC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well there goes Bryan.

quote:

Bryan Singer, the director of X-Men and The Usual Suspects, has been accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old in 2003.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Call me crazy, but I feel like he was one of the known secrets before this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that was open knowledge.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He was one of the central figures of that Open Secret documentary from a few years ago

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Quite frankly I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wasn't Singer also accused of being one of many in a larger network of Hollywood child molesters with connections? Like to the point where they traded victims with each other?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah he hosted the underage orgies that Kevin spacey got caught at a few years ago iirc it's not new news is just people are more willing to see him get punished now

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Singer grooming underaged boys was as much a secret as his hair colour is. Like I wouldn't even consider it an "open secret" like Weinstein, this was just a thing people knew and was totally open.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It was so open his public defense always was "but we control their license to make sure they are all of age!" He never disputed the parties taking place.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With Netflix releasing Bright, Max Landis is getting the business.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/max-landis-accused-of-sexual-assault.12331/
Over in comics land his output is actually good :/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 22, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Max Landis was always a piece of poo poo, and people knew him as one of those PUA sleazebags, so it's no shock that he moved on to actual sexual assault.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Teenage Fansub posted:

With Netflix releasing Bright, Max Landis is getting the business.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/max-landis-accused-of-sexual-assault.12331/
Over in comics land his output is actually good :/

I read through the entire linked thread and it’s kinda heartening to see a forum that actually bans people for awful “bitches be lyin’” logic beyond SA. One dude on page 7 really goes all out and he’s popped within a page.

Also Landis being a groper is only slightly less surprising than Mario Batali or TJ Miller.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I definitely recall tales of him being a belligerent prick at Morrisoncon and it wasn't the first time I'd heard it, just the first where people I knew were there going "yo helicopter kid is a train wreck"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gotta love an industry where your dad murders 3 people including two kids and you're still propelled to fame even though you're complete garbage as a person just on your last name alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Gotta love an industry where your dad murders 3 people including two kids and you're still propelled to fame even though you're complete garbage as a person just on your last name alone

Careful mate. You are very close to a "sins of the father" territory there.

• Locked thread