Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Black Mage. Let's finish off the colour mages for now and have some more EXCITING SPEECH QUIRK times in Windurst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Ranger!

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Black mage is a class I never really touched, so I vote for that.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Black Mage, blow stuff up!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I vote Samurai.

Black Mage AF quests were a huge pain IIRC

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Black Mage.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yeah, I’m interested in Black Mage.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

I vote Samurai.

Black Mage AF quests were a huge pain IIRC

One person has my health in mind when choosing Jobs! *Reads Samurai* That's almost as bad! At least Purple unknowingly has my back!

Anyway Black Mage is one that might actually increase the crab count(which has been untouched for months) because the quest is rough at level.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm happy to be the most moral and ethical person around, even if it's by accident.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 50: Desires Of Emptiness

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faded Memories - Promyvion

My poor head...

Here again.

Man... Looks like the squad is in here too. These.. gates? They seem new.

Time to go find my friends I guess. The gimmick is the same as the other trips.

Except each "floor" has one of those doors and the doors are guarded by void horrors. Once beaten the door fades away.

And then I get one of my party members back.

You get used to it.

Something something left behind snark airship.

You get used to it.

If enough people get mad enough at Nag'molada then they'll do my job of beating him up for me. I'm not vain enough that revenge has to come from my hand specifically, any hand will do. Trips on some steps and breaks his front teeth? The scales have been evened.

I'm very petty.

Okay that's the only one I was actually worried about. Let's get out of here.

I saw her dropkick a man! She should be saving ME!

Well... This has never happened before.

UlmiawasprobablyabouttotellmesomethingimportantandyouruineditagainIhateyou...

I could kill him right now. One well placed jump.

I suggest everyone walk quickly before he touches something he shouldn't.

(Much jumping later...)

Diabolos.

Next time: The longest mission in the game part 1 of 14

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 6, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Diabolos: Can you PLEASE keep a hold of her this time, I am not a lost and found. Put one of those child leashes on her or something.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maybe you can trade Nag'molada for Prishe. Or for a pack of cigarettes and an old lawnmower.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

One person has my health in mind when choosing Jobs! *Reads Samurai* That's almost as bad! At least Purple unknowingly has my back!

Oh sorry… I had recently done the BLM quests and they were no fun but hadn’t done SAM since maybe 2009? Anyway just do what you want!

Also CoP story is getting good… and the missions are getting :doit:

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Man, I do NOT remember this part of CoP. It has been a good decade and more since I played it, but I had remembered most of this stuff so far.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 51: The Chains That Bind Us

Awakening

This is cool. Can I have that Prishe back please?

Please stop saying words... You are just adding to the pile of things I'm going to have to deal with.

I think it is very important actually that I do not touch the fifth crystal.

Everyone here knows my opinion on the gates.

Stop trying to touch the stove first off...

Yep! Sucks don't it?

That little bastard owes me.

Oh. Nevermind. Boy we are kinda screwed.

I appreciate your optimism Prishe but please don't make me fight him again.

I do think you may have angered him.

I feel like I got ran over by a chocobo. A very large chocobo. This is a habit.

Everyone is alive I think.

As I stare daggers at Louverance I let out an internal sigh of relief that for once I'm not in trouble. But uh, I should probably help Prishe escape from the law.

Now you are starting to get it Tenzen!

I haven't broken eye contact with Louv yet by the way.

You make the situation sound so dire.

So the Jeuno playbook... Whatever. I have nothing better than wrestle the wyrm and I can't do that.

Let's see about 4 days per update... I'll be curled into a ball for the next 2 months.

We will be starting with Tenzen.

Buckle up.

Next time: The longest mission in the game part 2 of 14

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 6, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I was hoping Prishe would drop kick Diabolos.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

I was hoping Prishe would drop kick Diabolos.

Sad as it is, we need him for later.

I like that it's possible to piece together the pact from all this.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 52: Bringer Of Rainbows

Don't expect much.

Prelude

Aww now you've done it. I hear the music.

Such a show off.

It's complicated.

I kick the dirt and ignore whatever Carby is saying. This could be anyone's doing. I technically did nothing, it solved itself! Nevermind that the memory loop is still happening. Yes I'm currently on Summoner! I thought it would be fun to be on theme!

My magical girl mascot is defective.

I'm dying inside.

Wait are we talking about me or Phoenix?

Useless.

So I'm a key, got it. I could have been helping Ulmia find Prishe instead.

I don't feel like breaking his heart. He got a win as far as he knows.

Meanwhile I get trapped doors.

I think you get the idea of what is happening.

That is in fact a Carbuncle door.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

We added extra glow to your sword. Great.

Can't say I have a good feeling about this. At least I probably won't be arrested this time.

Next time: Two best friends

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's funny that Carbuncle is being treated with such reverence when he's about the size of a particularly puffy poodle.

It'd be like if Tenzen summoned Phoenix and it was just an orange-tinted seagull.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The Terrestrial Avatars all really come off as the interns who were left in charge of the business while the boss went off to do something and then never came back. Significantly powerful positions in theory, but not much actual power.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

It's funny that Carbuncle is being treated with such reverence when he's about the size of a particularly puffy poodle.

It'd be like if Tenzen summoned Phoenix and it was just an orange-tinted seagull.

I'm sure a hypothetical Carbuncle fight wouldn't be hard. Right? 18 players... I'm sure it would be fine.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The Terrestrial Avatars all really come off as the interns who were left in charge of the business while the boss went off to do something and then never came back. Significantly powerful positions in theory, but not much actual power.

At least they are shuffling papers around! Why are the papers on fire? Why are some of the interns dead!?

Carbuncle is the approachable one on the surface who actually goes out of his way to find adventurers! ...to hasten the awakening as we have learned. This is basically a giant reset button.

Phoenix is the dead one who as we will learn in a few updates is a Problem. She is the most important though and the Problem had to happen to fix several things. You can blame a lot of things on Visaria and Tenzen but I don't blame hot bird shenanigans on them.

Diabolos is the one who is trying to be considerate even though the plan sucks and probably wouldn't work post reset button. This is how you wind up with more tonberries.

Bahamut is just kinda doing his job. This is the much ruder reset button.

Fenrir is the is the less dead dead one who by all things is actually pretty helpful but can be a Problem like Phoenix. He was the sticky note.

A bunch of the problems currently happening could have been solved if Selh'teus or Yve'noile left a second technically third sticky note someplace but they didn't and now Visaria has to fix it by stumbling around begging for more time before someone slaps the reset buttons all at once.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Well of course we need to ask for more time, we’re on Three Paths!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Diabolos is the one who is trying to be considerate even though the plan sucks and probably wouldn't work post reset button. This is how you wind up with more tonberries.

Speaking of the plan, can we have a rundown of the expansion's plot as we know it so far? I think I understand it but also feel like I probably missed some important details.

As far as I understand it, the Emptiness is going to eat the world, and the Terrestrial Avatars' plan for it is to use a supernatural nuke that will unfortunately also kill everyone, and now our gang of plucky heroes is trying to convince the TA's that there's gotta be a solution that doesn't involve them all disintegrated or blasted to ash.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Speaking of the plan, can we have a rundown of the expansion's plot as we know it so far? I think I understand it but also feel like I probably missed some important details.

As far as I understand it, the Emptiness is going to eat the world, and the Terrestrial Avatars' plan for it is to use a supernatural nuke that will unfortunately also kill everyone, and now our gang of plucky heroes is trying to convince the TA's that there's gotta be a solution that doesn't involve them all disintegrated or blasted to ash.

10000 years ago a Zilart prince named Eald'narche got a vision and the shared Zilart consciousness was all like cool lets make a machine(Tu'Lia) to combine the crystal's power to get this paradise party started. Before that though Zilart started getting filled with empty juice making them not able to hear other people's thoughts. People actually had to try and figure each other out and that was weird so the Kuluu(the empty juice havers) got their own city in Pso'Xja to go deal with that. Unfortunately things started going south with the royal family after the Kuluu got too good at summoning and then a big ol' fight started between the Kuluu and the Zilart. During this mess the Dawnmaidens lead by Yve'noile who is probably the only one who has ever spoken to the Goddess sided with the Kuluu. Nag'molada decided the Kuluu were bad and sided with the Zilart. Selh'teus tried to get the Kuluu on board with the paradise plan and they decided nah they were just gonna accept their fate. The Terrestrial Avatars as far as I know were all Kuluu friends. Yve'noile went to Tu'Lia to do something also Bahamut sank Al'Taieu when the jackasses started opening the gate. The Kuluu that survived turned into tonberries that can now be found in the temple of uggh and Pso'Xja. The Terrestrial Avatars did things and stuff afterwards that we we get to in a few updates. We don't know what happened to Selh'teus after the meltdown.

Promathia is a bit harder to explain right now. His original temper tantrum was over the touching of the gate of the gods.

Prishe had an accident with the baptism around 30 years ago and now has a rock of magicite in her chest. We now know the box crystalizes emptiness into magicite.

Nag'molada still thinks he should be ZIlart again and as such doesn't care for Selh'teus and his apparent betrayal.

Esha'ntarl is Zilart and has her own thing going on. With the Archduke dead she is in charge of Jeuno now. We might see her next update and learn more.

The emptiness was starting to appear in Reisenjima(we will get into what it does in a couple updates) which is very far from the mother crystals and the mother crystals themselves are giving off odd readings. We have no idea what the hell Selh'teus is doing to the crystals but the emptiness was a thing before he started doing it. We also have very little idea what Selh'teus was doing the past 10000 years.

This is actually harder to write up than you'd think. There is a bunch of stuff hinted at that I don't want to explicitly say. I will say Selh'teus probably does not want the end of the world. I know it feels like we are deep in Chains but Three Paths is the start of the second half of Chains. We have a ton of questions to answer and we don't even have our full party yet.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think Diabolos just explicitly revealed that he was responsible for the Kuluu's Toberrification, and also told us that Al'Taieu is allegedly not quite as destroyed as previously thought.

Diabolos is definitely the intern that goes around touching stuff the most. Sometimes it turns out well. Mostly it doesn't.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Prishe had an accident with the baptism around 30 years ago and now has a rock of magicite in her chest. We now know the box crystalizes emptiness into magicite.

Can't we just solve the Emptiness problem by tying Prishe to a long stick and waving her at it until its all Magicite instead?

Also thank you for the rundown!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

Can't we just solve the Emptiness problem by tying Prishe to a long stick and waving her at it until its all Magicite instead?

Also thank you for the rundown!

You'd need the box Nag'molada is holding.

And magicite is dangerous stuff in its own right. It's a bit like "what if we turned all this nuclear radiation into grenades instead?"

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

We'll eventually learn more about Diabolos' dream world theme park where everyone is happy and nothing bad happens and a fun time will be had grinding fancy weapons.

Also I don't see no Al'Taieu. Bahamut probably blew it to the moon. I do think though that Bahamut first came out of the water where it used to be...

Nag'molada used up all the box juice like a chump so that isn't a solution even if you wanted a bunch of magicite. It should also be noted that Cid currently has the hots for magicite thinking about good fuel sources for his airships. Please do not use magicite as fuel.

But lets connect some dots about magicite and the crystals from back in the base game. Remember back when Kam'lanaut had us go to the beastmen strongholds and investigate the magicite? Those chunks were in the crystal power sucking tubes leading to Delkfutt's Tower. Basically it turns out the power cords had big old chunks of emptiness crystal blocking the power and the Zilart princes needed the beastmen and their leader to not do whatever the hell they were doing in those tubes to get Tu'Lia working. We've only investigated 3 tubes, hell we only just found the fourth mother crystal, we know very little about the mother crystals other than they govern existence. That Eald'narche was able to turn the machine on tells us that crystal 5 exists still and is connected somehow otherwise Visaria would have been on a boat ride by now. Whatever is happening didn't start until after Eald'narche flipped the switch or the Shadow Lord was defeated the second time even if the end of the world trigger Prishe had her accident before Tavnazia exploded. It was at least known that it would eventually happen though. That's how we ended up with these pacts and prophecies and anyone in the past 10000 years could have left a sticky note but didn't.

Anyway Louverance is on the case in a half dozen updates from now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

That's how we ended up with these pacts and prophecies and anyone in the past 10000 years could have left a sticky note but didn't.

"We don't need to write anything down, our empire will be immortal" womp womp.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Those chunks were in the crystal power sucking tubes leading to Delkfutt's Tower. Basically it turns out the power cords had big old chunks of emptiness crystal blocking the power and the Zilart princes needed the beastmen and their leader to not do whatever the hell they were doing in those tubes to get Tu'Lia working. We've only investigated 3 tubes, hell we only just found the fourth mother crystal, we know very little about the mother crystals other than they govern existence.

The world as we know it is a series of tubes -- perfect metaphor for an MMORPG.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 53: Treasure

The sword said go to where we first met my empty lad. I first met my empty lad at the infirmary.

Man...

No poo poo? Huh? Wild.

Just let them Tenzen. Either they trigger the end of the world faster or slow it down, either way they are out of my hair while I figure out how to actually fix it.

She said no.

It will be a nice surprise for everyone when they don't need to go to work that day.

I tug at my collar. Tenzen, my friend, this didn't work the last time we tried.

You are digging for trouble.

Look I just came to help you find Carbuncle and maybe Fenrir if he feels like existing today and now I think I need to go beat up Carbuncle. Anyway this is how you end up getting arrested Tenzen. I know this is how you end up getting arrested.

I have to do this or Tenzen will be staring at a door for a week.

Ugggh...

THIS IS HOW YOU GET ARESTED! GODDESS drat!

You can't kill me for doing what you told me to do.

I am soooo relaxed.

Oh good. Nag'molada is in trouble not me and my name is cleared(mostly).

I WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK WITH JEUNO.

... poo poo...

The fact that you are labeling Nag'molada a threat makes me not totally distrust you. But once again this is Jeuno. You are Zilart.

She has spunk but does she really actually know how to get to the fifth crystal?

Angry cat girls... This is serious...

Ah. He's melting down.

They never found who killed the princes did they? They say she still wanders the streets of Jeuno doing random tasks at chocobo stables at night.

Once again I feel I need to put forth me never going near the fifth crystal as a plan.

This is fun. I'm having fun.

"your powers of actually having to talk to people"

Hey Wolfgang, you seein' this!?

Whew. That was... Prishe got jumped and her amulet was taken, so that was hers right?

Oh... Well I guess I need to go pry Tenzen off the door.

I mean looking at the map it is right outside of Jeuno.

Recollection

Cute.

Cute.

Cute.

Thanks guys.

Next time: Nag'molada continues to Nag'molada

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

The fact that you are labeling Nag'molada a threat makes me not totally distrust you.

How does she feel about three tarutaru troublemakers? :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I find it really funny that despite the Jeuno upper echelon slapping down Nag'molada, I feel like they somehow managed to do it wrong, also they really feel like they will treat the situation with about as much competence as he did.

Wolfgang and Monberaux are breaking the Jeuno code of conduct by not acting like dicks, they should be careful around stairs and colleagues.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 22, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm amused that the Zilart recognize that, due to being telepathic, they're not very good at the subtleties of verbal communication with "lesser" species and they actually should subcontract that sort of thing to Kuluu.

Also man please please please UNDERSEA ZONE, UNDERSEA ZONE, not just a warp into a suspiciously dry underwater location with a few fishy enemies or the temple being raised to the surface or anything but UNDERSEA ZONE UNDERSEA ZONE undersea zones are always the raddest, coolest poo poo.

Esha and Nag also feel like the only Kuluu/Zilart with names that make sense. The rest of them just feel like someone mashing their face into a keyboard and slapping an apostrophe in the middle of the result.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm amused that the Zilart recognize that, due to being telepathic, they're not very good at the subtleties of verbal communication with "lesser" species and they actually should subcontract that sort of thing to Kuluu.

Also man please please please UNDERSEA ZONE, UNDERSEA ZONE, not just a warp into a suspiciously dry underwater location with a few fishy enemies or the temple being raised to the surface or anything but UNDERSEA ZONE UNDERSEA ZONE undersea zones are always the raddest, coolest poo poo.

Esha and Nag also feel like the only Kuluu/Zilart with names that make sense. The rest of them just feel like someone mashing their face into a keyboard and slapping an apostrophe in the middle of the result.

I have a monkey's paw someplace, I'm sure I we can find some type of zone that is underwater if we try...

Eald'narche and Nag'molada are the only ones I don't need to think about.

Also I'll take any and all Nag'molada abuse I can get even if it makes things worse. Him being told to piss off and do his job will in fact make things worse somehow.

Bregor posted:

How does she feel about three tarutaru troublemakers? :v:

Give it time.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 54: Rage

Another door another guardian...

Anyway hey Tenzen.

Please Goddess I'm begging you, 24 hours without him please...

Anxiety

Bullshit.

Take everything that comes out of his mouth with a heaping of salt Tenzen...

Good. She isn't going to pull an Eald'narche on me after we are done.

Tenzen I need you to trust me on this. This is okay.

You are like this because of racism, okay I get it. Look I caught myself doing it back in Jeuno. Esha'ntarl probably doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the princes. Yes she threatened to burn down my kingdom and I may have lost my claim to the throne... I have no idea what her endgame is... She seems on the level. At least compared to you. Nevermind she has Prishe's amulet... poo poo what was my point...

Tenzen...

And then we stopped you.

Yes Tenzen... Finally...

I'll kill you where you stand.

I won't argue with you there, but again the alternative is nothing.

I can't deny Carbuncle is using me but I plan to address that after the world is not being threatened by a different terrestrial avatar... But Phoenix is here for us. Right Tenzen?

I resist the urge to trip him as he runs away. I'll kill him later. Anyway, what are we doing now Tenzen?

Tenzen?

Err...

He runs off before I can ask...

I'm sure I'm just hearing things out of context and it makes it sound worse than it was. The destruction he spoke of was probably to protect Phoenix. A noble effort for all involved.

Right Tenzen?

... I feel very alone... I need to go find Tenzen.

Next time: I find Tenzen

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 6, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Go to Pso’Xja

Go to Delkfutt

Go to Pso’Xja again

I can’t tell you what a pain in the rear end it used to be just to go watch some cutscenes :smith:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

Go to Pso’Xja

Go to Delkfutt

Go to Pso’Xja again

I can’t tell you what a pain in the rear end it used to be just to go watch some cutscenes :smith:

Three Paths

4/14

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This world has a moderately horrifying cosmology if all that's preventing it from turning into the Emptiness' bizarre void is the light of the five crystals. In addition to being apparently a light that a bunch of idiots loving around can dim, it also sounds like it's geographically limited, so if you travel too far from them, dig too deep, you start hitting Emptiness unilluminated by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

This world has a moderately horrifying cosmology if all that's preventing it from turning into the Emptiness' bizarre void is the light of the five crystals. In addition to being apparently a light that a bunch of idiots loving around can dim, it also sounds like it's geographically limited, so if you travel too far from them, dig too deep, you start hitting Emptiness unilluminated by them.

Normally it would be fine but the Goddess didn't expect a bunch of idiots to try and put the crystal back together and then after that try it again(and again if Nag'molada is allowed). The fifth crystal is having a time right now apparently and that isn't helping the empty problem even after Lion shut poo poo down and now Esha'ntarl has extra shut it down. What has been going on over in the Far East has been happening for years at least. What is happening with Iroha is a very different problem.

Anyway we now know Selh'teus has been sucking out light/power from the crystals. Why? Who can say?

Oh and as a reminder reincarnation is done through the crystals. I'm sure sucking up light/power is terrible for that.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 25, 2023