Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

It's a term that encompasses people leaving the organization, whether quitting, being laid off, being fired, dying, whatever. Is there a more common, less euphemistic term for that? I'm not aware of one.

Terminated is the word we use. As in, "terminated employment".

There's a separate status for retired or deceased though... :v: though most don't use deceased, that can be thought of as terminated as well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Calling it 'separation' is a new era of HR-speak

What would you use instead?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Thanatosian posted:

It's a term that encompasses people leaving the organization, whether quitting, being laid off, being fired, dying, whatever. Is there a more common, less euphemistic term for that? I'm not aware of one.

"left"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Comments like this always make me nervous on others’ behalf.

Layoffs are batch hatchet jobs that eliminate large swathes of the corporate population and it is very easy to get gathered up into “Column A stays, column B goes”. I can’t think of an employee who, right before being laid off, thought “yeah if I get laid off it makes sense because I’m pretty redundant.”

If they laid you off they might lose their biggest customer or they might not. Or they might not be aware of this risk until after you are laid off at which point you are still laid off.

No one is safe during lay-off time. No one.

But your all-hands ain’t about layoffs so it’s all good. Right?

I live in :norway:, not some post-capitalist hellhole, and leadership is fully aware of the current dynamics, because I told them, pointing out in plain Norwegian that I am a single point of failure for this customer, and that I already have too much on my plate, so I need more people to serve the customer properly.

The meeting host has nothing to do with hiring/firing for my division, he's responsible for electrical safety for the entire company, and we have to attend companywide training for that, so that's why my division has to attend the all-hands.
Another minor point is that the process for layoffs here is very rigid, and none of the prerequisite meetings for my division to even start a layoff process have been held. I should know, since I would be in those meetings :downs:
Now if the CEO held the meeting, that would be something else, but even then it would be a couple of months (see above re: meetings) until I was actually out of work.

I am worried about my current company in the medium term, which is why I'm probably going to :yotj: by end of year.

Thanatosian posted:

Look, you're just going to have be flexible, like all of us are. What's that? You want me to stay late in order to accommodate your schedule, since every other time things have been scheduled early to accommodate other people? Absolutely not, I won't stay late.

I finally put my foot down with that poo poo at one point with my boss (I don't mind having to come in early a couple times a month, but it had gotten to 2-3 times a week). Still nothing I can do about the all-hands, though.

I try to keep within the core hours (9a-3p), but I work overnight shifts etc. from time to time (gotta love 8 hours of double time pay for 3-4 hours of actual work), so I usually have a fair amount of leeway in how I want to arrange my days as long as I get my work done, so tomorrow I'll just leave work at 3:30pm and call it good. I just hate having to get up that early :v:

If you want me to get in early or stay late and it's not convenient for me, I will tell you to gently caress off - unless it's literally an all-hands meeting, heh.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DelphiAegis posted:

Terminated is the word we use. As in, "terminated employment".

There's a separate status for retired or deceased though... :v: though most don't use deceased, that can be thought of as terminated as well....
I would not use "terminated" to refer to an employee who quit or retired, personally.

This is a bad word because it has multiple different, unreleated meanings. I can talk about a "separation procedure" easily, but a "left procedure?" What the gently caress is that?

It's a good term, dammit. :colbert:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Seperation from a company is an acceptable and good legal term, and many states use it in, say, determining how and when to pay out remaining vacation times.

I've heard 'Engagement' used in a simiilar context for staring work at a company, but never quite the opposite.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't even find the term terribly euphemistic; it accurately describes what is going on in broad, clear terms; they're separating from the company, whether by their choice or the company's. The first time I heard "separation procedure" I immediately knew what it was referencing, with no context necessary. If someone started using "disengagement," yeah, okay, that's euphemistic bullshit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the task in our HR system is "Separation" with a status field of reason.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I would not use "terminated" to refer to an employee who quit or retired, personally.

This is a bad word because it has multiple different, unreleated meanings. I can talk about a "separation procedure" easily, but a "left procedure?" What the gently caress is that?

It's a good term, dammit. :colbert:

At one job we had an employee die, and I almost said that the tasks assigned to him were in limbo because a substitute hadn't been assigned. Thankfully I caught myself.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The last time I had to touch end user accounts people who joined went on duty, people who left went off duty. It was literally the subject of the ticket, regardless of the reason of leaving. "Terminated" sounds like an American exit to me IE fired for any or no reason at all.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"Separation" kinda feels like mommy and daddy will be living in different houses for a bit

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

"Separation" kinda feels like mommy and daddy will be living in different houses for a bit

Or it could be like your head separated from your loving body

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

7:30am meeting is about electrical safety :haw:

Great way to start my morning after a semi-sleepless night.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Wibla posted:

Anything important or was it the usual 'electricity is dangerous. Don't eat electricity ' type of HR BS.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wibla posted:

7:30 ? Meh

I have 4 days of 7am training this week for the new Client Device Monitoring Nexthink) initiative from global.

Turns out the trainer is brilliant at his job and Nexthink will make me better at mine. But still, 7 loving AM. I usually end up taking an unscheduled nap in my chair around 2pm.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

Comments like this always make me nervous on others’ behalf.

Layoffs are batch hatchet jobs that eliminate large swathes of the corporate population and it is very easy to get gathered up into “Column A stays, column B goes”. I can’t think of an employee who, right before being laid off, thought “yeah if I get laid off it makes sense because I’m pretty redundant.”

If they laid you off they might lose their biggest customer or they might not. Or they might not be aware of this risk until after you are laid off at which point you are still laid off.

No one is safe during lay-off time. No one.

Apparently it caught our Director of Onsite Revenue by surprise when he got laid off, even though 1) he was the smallest group and 2) most of his functions could easily fit into other groups.

I count myself lucky that I only ended up with a 6-month furlough. Even though I'm the only QA/analyst/support for this very important program everyone uses, I wouldn't have put it past someone higher up than my director to decide that they didn't really need to test anything before releasing it to the field users.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Do you ever open a wiki/confluence/readme trying to figure something out, then see it’s filled with loving jokes and gifs that you have to waste your time reading around like an obstacle course for the eyes

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Moo the cow posted:

Anything important or was it the usual 'electricity is dangerous. Don't eat electricity ' type of HR BS.

Our high voltage division has had some (read: too many) mishaps, so it was definitely relevant for them :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
drat, didn't know 7am was so hated. I immediately jumped on it when we reevaluated our hours. I had it at my last job too. I get about an hour or two of uninterrupted time and getting off before 4pm is great.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
07:00 would be great if I could go to sleep at 22:00 and not be interrupted, but I can't, so it's a poo poo time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

STOP TRYING TO LOG IN

CALL THE HELPDESK

This VPN user is just hammering her loving password. It's been an hour.

Edit: I'm on call so I got called when I was in the shower and on the way to work. Turns out my boss disabled her account and didn't tell anyone. Durr

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 3, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

cage-free egghead posted:

drat, didn't know 7am was so hated. I immediately jumped on it when we reevaluated our hours. I had it at my last job too. I get about an hour or two of uninterrupted time and getting off before 4pm is great.

7am is even worse than having a meeting at 12:30 or 11:30

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bob Morales posted:

7am is even worse than having a meeting at 12:30 or 11:30

Idiot bosses who pull poo poo like this are doubly awful because I feel like you can't object to it without painting a target on yourself.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

I work 6:15am to 2:45pm everyday and it's loving amazing. I have like 3 hours before most of my team gets in that I can actually get poo poo done and I'm leaving right after I get back from lunch!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Do you ever open a wiki/confluence/readme trying to figure something out, then see it’s filled with loving jokes and gifs that you have to waste your time reading around like an obstacle course for the eyes

I hate this poo poo and try to put a stop to it any time I can. I mean, it's a miracle if anyone else is typing documentation, but I hate it. Same thing with changing font color and holding and font sizes. Yeah let's start an arms race for "this is the most important!"

Header yes. Info/warning/critical callous, yes. Bullet points, numbered lists, all yes. But poo poo needs to be organized and easy to read, not a loving Jackson Polluck painting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I got in so much trouble at my old job for updating a ticket with a picture of a litter-strewn street and a rant about how much crap has been left behind over the years on the linux servers

BACKUP.TAR
BACKUP2.TAR
BACKUP3.TAR
BACKUP200120401.TAR
BACKUP_JM.TAR
BACKUP_JM2.TAR
500 .sql files
random .o libraries
buncha scripts
TEST.PHP

It was literally that image.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I habitually delete BUP files, especially if it's older than a year. If you can't be bothered to back your poo poo up properly then it was never that important.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mattfl posted:

I work 6:15am to 2:45pm everyday and it's loving amazing. I have like 3 hours before most of my team gets in that I can actually get poo poo done and I'm leaving right after I get back from lunch!

When I worked in a NOC, my schedule was 6 AM to 4 PM Mon to Thurs, 4*10. It was magical. I miss three day weekends every week.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Yes and I loving hate it.

Look assholes, when I'm looking for a readme it's because I'm in the middle of something and I'm trying to crank though it. Your list of lawyer jokes isn't charming or cute, it's irritating.

I will happily demolish joke pages on wikis, filtering out the joke content into a new joke page and leaving behind the actual content page. I'f I'm feeling charitable, I might leave a link on the original page to the new joke page.

edit: yes, it's me. I'm the non-fun-having greybeard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsxVtDTtnZU

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 3, 2020

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'm not even going to disagree. If there's jokes around a process/thing, yeah have at them, but not in the reference doc of how it's set up. That's just dumb.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's what the talk page is for, christ almighty.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

For fucks sake Comcast.

Every one of our Comcast locations across the state just lost connection simultaneously.

Edit: Both phones and Internet. Likely cable too, but we don't have TV service with them.

Edit2:

Edit3: Appears it is all of Indiana and Illinois. Fantastic.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 3, 2020

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

There is a company that makes prosumer audio equipment whose manuals are full of dad jokes and crap to make them seem cooler than they actually are. After trying to deal with this for a couple of years, I just stopped buying their gear.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 3, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

diremonk posted:

There is a company that makes prosumer audio equipment whose manuals are full of dad jokes and crap to make them seem cooler than they actually are. After trying to deal with this for a couple of years, I just stopped buying their gear.

that's the worst poo poo i've ever seen

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the gently caress is up with that punchline? not just "sure, let me turn down the suck knob," it's "yes, indeed i can make you sound better... i will turn down the suck knob, which will do wonders for your band!" it's like they workshopped it with raul julia's m. bison

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

the gently caress is up with that punchline? not just "sure, let me turn down the suck knob," it's "yes, indeed i can make you sound better... i will turn down the suck knob, which will do wonders for your band!" it's like they workshopped it with raul julia's m. bison
This is an old joke among audio technicians. We were making it when I was in college in the early oughts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

This is an old joke among audio technicians. We were making it when I was in college in the early oughts.

i mean, i get the joke, the verbosity is just insane

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FOH engineers here (:britain:) usually have a channel labelled as DFA (does gently caress all) and when they get a dumb request just play with that and then ask "how's that now?" and most of the time the feedback is positive

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

FOH engineers here (:britain:) usually have a channel labelled as DFA (does gently caress all) and when they get a dumb request just play with that and then ask "how's that now?" and most of the time the feedback is positive
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. So many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress it, it works in IT as well. I'm sure every trade has examples of just pretending to do something for their clients rather than explaining how they are wrong.