Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thief 1 is a horror game through and through, whereas 2 is more of a thief simulator. Personally I much prefer 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

site posted:

No see in this one it's you and four superflys

Imagine 4 Superflys on the edge of a cliff....

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My god...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Delete this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm having trouble deciding whether I should leave pixelization on or off in DUSK. It haunts my dreams.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I know it's gotten flak, I really liked Thief revival game they released a few years ago. Biggest complaint was that going through the open world could be a chore.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Kins posted:

He did a couple of Doom maps (E1M8b and E1M4b) in 2016 or so to warm up for his Blackroom project that never eventuated. My guess is that this is a revival of that.

I doubt it's an official Doom thing, Bethesda apparently has some odd politics around the former Id guys, but I'm open to being wrong.

The only one I know about is Zenimax and Carmack getting into legal disputes. Carmack claimed he was owed something like $20 million for the id acquisition, while Zenimax claimed he illegally went to Oculus with VR trade secrets he developed at id. They dropped claims between each other, but I think the suit against Oculus is still hanging around.

Oops, meant to edit this into the post above me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

I'm having trouble deciding whether I should leave pixelization on or off in DUSK. It haunts my dreams.

2x (the default) looks about right to me. Off looks too plain and 4x or higher brings back bad memories of running the Quake test on a 486.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I don't really get people saying that Dusk looks "ugly". Sure the weapon models are pretty bland, but a lot of the environments are absolutely stunning, especially in Episode 2 and 3.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

2x (the default) looks about right to me. Off looks too plain and 4x or higher brings back bad memories of running the Quake test on a 486.

Yeah, I've mostly been sticking with the defaults.

I'm only halfway through Episode 2 of Dusk but I have no qualms in saying that it's one of the greats. I liked E1 well enough, but E2 really blows it out of the water in every way. Some surprisingly effective tension, too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't really get people saying that Dusk looks "ugly". Sure the weapon models are pretty bland, but a lot of the environments are absolutely stunning, especially in Episode 2 and 3.

Personally, I just want to swap out some (or all) of the weapon models. I'm fine the rest of the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Eeeeh, some of the enemies look kind of goofy and none of the boss fights so far have been great, though that's more to do with their gameplay design than their look.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, weapons feel good but look kinda eh. There's some amazing level visuals, though. That spinning blender turbine in Episode 2 was especially cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrbH2ilr-Kg

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've never really run into boss fights i've thought were stellar in old fps games so it's about par for the course with dusk

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've never really run into boss fights i've thought were stellar in old fps games so it's about par for the course with dusk

Yeah, I actually liked how relatively easy the boss fights in DUSK were, it's a good pace change up when it happens.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What are the top-tier FPS boss fights anyway? Most of them just end up being “shoot, but more.”

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

david_a posted:

“shoot, but more.”
OK, but that also describes the entire genre

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i honestly think the cyberdemon in tower of babel is a pretty cool fight if only because the arena and how it attacks are a highly dangerous combination and keep you on your toes

it does just end up as 'shoot more' like most everything but the circumstances are neat

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Boss fights where the enemy shoots dodgeable projectiles (Cyberdemon) and not hitscan damage (Spider Mastermind) are good. Add in some juking to avoid the projectiles in various patterns (New Doom's Cyberdemon) and even a transforming arena (New Doom's Spider Mastermind) to keep things interesting and there you go, a good FPS boss fight.

edit: Hall of shame for bad FPS boss fight ideas, all of which have been used:
- Turret sequence
- You can't damage the enemy, you just have to dodge it until the fight ends
- Turret sequence
- You can only damage it with The Super Weapon, for which it drops 1 ammo per phase
- You have to hit your only shot or else it's instant game over
- Turret Sequence
- One-hit kills literally any time, anywhere, in any form are cancer
- There is no way to heal or restore armor or god forbid even ammo during the fight
- It can't be damaged by bullets and you have to use melee or otherwise stun it for a short time
- TURRET SEQUENCE

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 10, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in dusk's credit i don't think anything in it is hitscan, and i'm pretty confident i've seen every enemy type at this point unless they really want to whip out something crazy in the last couple levels

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would argue the doom 1 boss fights actually suck because the cyberdemon fight is just "peek out from behind pillar to pop off some rockets" and the spider mastermind is just "run up and one shot with bfg"

E: d2 isn't any better either lol

site fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 10, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Flannelette posted:

It's good BUT there's this weird thing where there's all these free packs for doom, eduke and quake that do the same thing but better.

I know where to get the first two, but I've had a heck of a time finding out where you get quake packs. When I try to search them up on google, I get individual geocities websites for single maps and stuff like that, or lots of quake 3 arena maps.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

david_a posted:

What are the top-tier FPS boss fights anyway? Most of them just end up being “shoot, but more.”

I remember Painkiller having some pretty sweet boss fights but they were more stylistically impressive than mechanically impressive.

Thief and Deus Ex both had final boss levels rather than final boss fights per se, but both were excellent. Similarly, Ultima Underworld has more of a final puzzle than a final boss. But none of this is really what you're asking about.

The Serious Sam 3 final boss could have been good between the jetpack and the lightning rods, but overstays its welcome.

Nothing else really comes to mind off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gloomy Rube posted:

I know where to get the first two, but I've had a heck of a time finding out where you get quake packs. When I try to search them up on google, I get individual geocities websites for single maps and stuff like that, or lots of quake 3 arena maps.
Quaddicted is a great site for SP Q1 maps. If you're crazy enough to have Java installed, grab Quake Injector for a nice fancy downloader/installer/launcher.

Q2 is still a desert to me, mind.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WAD creators have found some dickish ways to use Cyberdemons over the years. Like making you fight them in a tiny pit with almost no room between getting splash damage from the wall behind you and getting stomped. Or making you fight one in an almost completely dark room with crushing walls. I think both of those are from Valient.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

There is really nothing like the Destiny raid bosses in the rest of the FPS world. Not only do you have to sustain DPS on the boss when necessary, you also have to be manipulating puzzle elements and sharing pertinent information with the rest of the team. It’s a whole choreography of shooting, positioning, using special abilities, using items found in the fight, making callouts, and every team member knowing their role so they can turn on a dime when the phase changes. Getting a team together capable of doing this can be a huge pain in the rear end, especially for adults with lives, but when it all comes together, it’s so sweet.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

site posted:

The guy who did all those idtech source code reviews is publishing a doom book

https://twitter.com/fabynou/status/1071649008588869632?s=19

I just started reading his Wolf3D book, so I'm looking forward to this when I'm done. If it's as good as the Wolf book it should be well worth the money.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

I've only played the first four maps, but they've all been bangers. This jam is top shelf.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think some of the weapon models are bad, like the mortar looks awful. Something about the crossbow seems a little off

And some of the enemies look a little too low poly. I know that's what they're going for but compared to other low poly games like Quake, they seem too pointy in some places.

That's me nitpicking though, most of it's not very noticeable in motion. The levels themselves look great, like the infernal machine in episode 2 might be one of my favorite looking levels in an FPS game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Regarding old FPS bosses, it's funny that Chasm: The Rift had bosses requiring some sort of novelty to defeat. Like one needed to be lured into an area where it would be sucked into a giant fan, another one needed to be exposed to shafts of light (that you would reveal by shooting the ceiling), etc.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The Kins posted:

Quaddicted is a great site for SP Q1 maps. If you're crazy enough to have Java installed, grab Quake Injector for a nice fancy downloader/installer/launcher.

Q2 is still a desert to me, mind.

Thanks a lot, this is just what I was looking for.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

Well start with that xmas jam that's got a trailer a few posts up.
Usually there's a trailer for the quake packs or levels and there will always be a link under the video.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The character models look less like 90s 3d FPS enemy and more like 90s 3d RTS unit.

Johnny Joestar posted:

The better bosses are more in the TCs and mods that came later (2000s, 2010s) where people thought more about how a boss could be more than just a blob of hitpoints that you strafed around.
Bosses need a variety of different non-hitscan attacks (one you have to jump over, one you have to strafe, bullet hell attack etc etc)and switch it's attacks as the fight progresses, occasionally have a gimmick like an environmental weapon to attack it with or have the environment change or be destructible or be able to spawn minions.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HolyKrap posted:

That's me nitpicking though, most of it's not very noticeable in motion. The levels themselves look great, like the infernal machine in episode 2 might be one of my favorite looking levels in an FPS game.

Yeah it was real cool & claustrophobic.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Is Chasm: The Rift playable anywhere? I must have played through that demo like 100 times when I was a kid. Never ended up buying it for some reason but, man, I loved the demo a whole lot. Is the full game any good? I haven’t thought about Chasm in loving ages.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pathos posted:

Is Chasm: The Rift playable anywhere? I must have played through that demo like 100 times when I was a kid. Never ended up buying it for some reason but, man, I loved the demo a whole lot. Is the full game any good? I haven’t thought about Chasm in loving ages.

It's on most of the abandonware sites for dosbox, it's pretty good honestly not a must play but you could do worse.

Bad: level design is boring and flat.
Good: you can shoot vikings heads off with a circular saw launcher.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 10, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pathos posted:

I think it’s broken under DosBox, or maybe that’s just the level editor, I don’t remember.

The game isn’t that good. It’s a weird wannabe Quake that’s trying its best to hide the fact that its engine is closer to Wolf 3D. Any height variation or what looks like complicated level geometry is just a model that you can walk on.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Regarding FPS bosses, Doom 2016 pretty much set the (admittedly-low) bar for me, largely due to the fact that they seem to take influence from the 3rd-person action-adventure genre to make something entertaining to fight:

-Each of Doom's bosses are unique encounters that require the player to assess what they're facing and develop a strategy on the fly to overcome them while avoiding constant harassment. With the exception of the Spider Mastermind's pillars, the arenas lack cover and allow the boss to be at the center of the player's screen/attention.

-Doom's bosses possess a variety of attack patterns that require the player to recognize cues and actively defend themselves to avoid damage and create openings.

-Despite their length, each of the three bosses do not overstay their welcome. Attack patterns avoid repetition; bosses possess multiple phases changing their behavior; players are encouraged to use the BFG to counter difficult attacks and shorten the encounter at their discretion.

Even then the execution is still flawed; players often get stuck figuring out the Hell Guardian's shield, most of the Cyberdemon's attacks are defeated by running in a single direction, and you'll see everything the boss has to throw at you in the first 30 seconds of the phase.

That said, the effort put into those encounters put Doom well ahead of its contemporaries. Wolfenstien's bosses, despite being really cool and thematic, boil down to lumbering bullet hoses that you play peek-a-boo with (The London Monitor and Jaeger really hammer this home). Resident Evil 7 takes from its predecessors to pretty good effect, but leans hard on the "shoot monster in weakspot until it smacks you, then run away and heal" pattern for everything that isn't the chainsaw duel. Shadow Warrior and its sequel probably get the closest to Doom for decent bosses, but every one of them turn into a swirling mass of particle effects and giant health bars that wear the player out after the first minute.

I'm really curious as to whether Doom Eternal will improve on the formula or step backwards with the creatures they've revealed so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the subject of bosses and all of that, i just beat dusk and it was incredibly loving rad

that ending sequence and the game's levels in general: :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Metroid Prime had fun boss fights and there had to have been at least one good one in the Bioshock games, right?