Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Spuckuk posted:

Dunno about the US, but over here they aren't appreciably more expensive than other breweries in their bracket. The problem is they make a lot of beer that just isn't that good or interesting, the bar for good beer has been raised hugely in the last decade.

Evil Twin clearly the better brother though.

I haven't had a chance to try most of what they got, but I'll take what people have been saying to heart and just seek out a recommendation if it pops up.

Edit: I'm actually right near the Mikkeler brewery in San Diego right now! But I'm working...and its 10Am :goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Mikkeller SD and NYC make waaaaay better stuff on average than OG mikkeller. Murk Tyson and resting brew face are incredibly good if you like ipas.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has anyone in Europe ever bought one of these advent calendars from To Øl before? I saw an advertisement for it on Instagram of all places and it comes out to roughly $106 (€93) for a 24 beer advent calendar. I always thought it would be fun to do one of these beer or whiskey advent calendars but I'm not really too sold on it.

Somewhat related, has anyone (also in Europe) ever subscribed to these "beer clubs" before where they send you beer every month? To Øl has one for about $69 (nice) or €63, which they say is 9-12 beers per month. Mikkeller has one too for a few dollars/euros more. I'm from the US so the whole concept of getting beer delivered to me is completely alien to me (or at least in the states I've ever lived). But I like both of these breweries, though mostly for the sour stuff. I guess I'm just looking for any first hand experiences or for someone to tell me it's a waste of money because of reasons. Alternatively, are there any such beer clubs that are mainly sour beers?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Mikkellers calender last year was mostly storage clearing with a few good ones.
Monthly boxes can be kinda fun, but most of the time you'll get more value just taking the money and ordering the beer yourself. That said I'm subscribed to mikkellers box and it's usually half good stuff, half shelfstuff.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Went to Sirens brewtap today. Still easily one of the top breweries in Europe imo.

They have a strawberry brut ipa which is the only strawberry beer I've ever liked.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I love Siren. I think they got a lot better when that Ryan fellow left. Americans don't know anything about good beer.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Saw an ad online for a local brewery can release yesterday so I dropped by since they're not too far off of my route home from work. Felt nice to get direct from the brewery for once and also picked up a crowler of a peach amber they had. They've been pretty solid so I'm glad they're in my area.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I love Siren. I think they got a lot better when that Ryan fellow left. Americans don't know anything about good beer.

:911:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Went to Sirens brewtap today. Still easily one of the top breweries in Europe imo.

They have a strawberry brut ipa which is the only strawberry beer I've ever liked.

Siren had easily the best bottle designs and the actual beer has improved a lot from being hit and miss to fairly consistent.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Aramoro posted:

Siren had easily the best bottle designs and the actual beer has improved a lot from being hit and miss to fairly consistent.

Yeah, they were all over the place for a while, especially with their stouts and porters. Havent tried anything recently so I'll give them a new try when I see some.

Also Re: beer clubs. I have a referral link for 50% off the first box if you want to give mikkeller a try.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah, they were all over the place for a while, especially with their stouts and porters. Havent tried anything recently so I'll give them a new try when I see some.

Also Re: beer clubs. I have a referral link for 50% off the first box if you want to give mikkeller a try.

I'm happy to report that almost all the 10+ bottles I had over the weekend were great. Soundwave is still pretty eh though.

Their stouts are really, reallly good. they know how to make adjunct imperial stouts that aren't just a horrible sweet mess *glances pointedly across the Atlantic*

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just had this dumb idea because of the advent calendar chat. Does anyone want to swap blind Christmas boxes? I’ll pack a 12 bottle styrofoam shipper and wrap and number each bottle. I would do a sign up if enough people are interested. But we’d have to ship within the next couple of weeks. Thoughts?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm down :gritin:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm in. Beer it forward version uhhhhhhh 5? I don't remember the last number we did (probably years ago).

At least that's what it kinda sounds like, unless I'm missing something obvious which is very possible.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Yeah, basically beer it forward, but wrap each individual bottle and number them like a beer advent calendar, only with 12 bottles instead of the full 25 or whatever. It seemed like a fun idea. And we haven't done one of these in a while.

Might as well just post a signup sheet: https://goo.gl/forms/cN5jZ08LcRURUZYH3

I'll keep this open until November 9th

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'm in, sounds fun.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like, do I have to buy 12 bottles and ship them to random goons? Or send all 12 to one random goon. I've never done a beer it forward or any beer share so idk the proper procedure :kiddo:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

You are assigned a goon and you send them 12 beers :cheerdoge:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Like, do I have to buy 12 bottles and ship them to random goons? Or send all 12 to one random goon. I've never done a beer it forward or any beer share so idk the proper procedure :kiddo:

someone is gonna get a whole bunch of cellar turds from me

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

air- posted:

You are assigned a goon and you send them 12 beers :cheerdoge:

Oh! Awesome. One last newbie question before I sign up and send someone 12 PBR cans. What's the best way of mailing out individual beers? Can and or Glass.

Wrap everything up individually in bubble wrap and put into a baggy incase of spillage? Also, if I remember correctly, when I'm at the post office, do I just say I'm mailing "LIVE YEAST SAMPLES" so I don't get in trouble.

Anyway SIGNED UP! Gives me a fun reason to visit some local breweries.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 30, 2018

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Oh! Awesome. One last newbie question before I sign up and send someone 12 PBR cans. What's the best way of mailing out individual beers? Can and or Glass.

Wrap everything up individually in bubble wrap and put into a baggy incase of spillage? Also, if I remember correctly, when I'm at the post office, do I just say I'm mailing "LIVE YEAST SAMPLES" so I don't get in trouble.

Anyway SIGNED UP! Gives me a fun reason to visit some local breweries.

Read the first post of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866181

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

If you can find a styrofoam bottle shipper use that. Sometimes u-haul or other places have them. If you can't find one then the next best thing is bubble wrap or a bunch of crumpled up newspaper. Put each bottle/can in it's own plastic bag then wrap each bottle/can individually with bubble wrap/newspaper and make sure there are no exposed areas and that it's completely padded. Then put all of the bottles together in a garbage bag and pack the garbage bag. Pack the garbage bag in a big box, surrounded on all sides by even more crumpled up newspaper. You want to pack everything pretty tight so nothing can shift during transit. You'll use a lot of newspaper.

Basically just assume that the box is gonna get treated like poo poo in transit so you want everything to be padded and unable to move. And you want all of your cans/bottles to be padded individually because they'll be slamming into each other every time the box gets moved/dropped/kicked/thrown from the truck.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 30, 2018

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
This seems like a fun thing to do to distract me from my impending move and also to share with my boyfriend whom I introduced to beer, like the terrible influence that I am. Plus there's enough breweries in Richmond that I could get one from each if I wanted to :boobeer:

12 Hardywood Gingerbread Stouts :unsmigghh:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Honestly I'd be loving ecstatic to open a box and see it was full of Ardent Pilsner

Or like... Allagash House Beer :allears:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

air- posted:

Honestly I'd be loving ecstatic to open a box and see it was full of Ardent Pilsner

But you wouldn't know because all of the beers should be individually wrapped so they're a surprise every day. But yeah, I'd be happy to drink 12 of those too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

IT'S MINE ALL MINE.

No seriously, is Krutster dead?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome. So NO US Postal but UPS and FEDex is ok. Gotcha.

very stable genius posted:

If you can find a styrofoam bottle shipper use that. Sometimes u-haul or other places have them. If you can't find one then the next best thing is bubble wrap or a bunch of crumpled up newspaper. Put each bottle/can in it's own plastic bag then wrap each bottle/can individually with bubble wrap/newspaper and make sure there are no exposed areas and that it's completely padded. Then put all of the bottles together in a garbage bag and pack the garbage bag. Pack the garbage bag in a big box, surrounded on all sides by even more crumpled up newspaper. You want to pack everything pretty tight so nothing can shift during transit. You'll use a lot of newspaper.

Basically just assume that the box is gonna get treated like poo poo in transit so you want everything to be padded and unable to move. And you want all of your cans/bottles to be padded individually because they'll be slamming into each other every time the box gets moved/dropped/kicked/thrown from the truck.

More awesome. Thanks guys. It's my first time! I'll go look for one of dem Styrofoam bottle shippers then.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Quorum posted:

This seems like a fun thing to do to distract me from my impending move and also to share with my boyfriend whom I introduced to beer, like the terrible influence that I am. Plus there's enough breweries in Richmond that I could get one from each if I wanted to :boobeer:

12 Hardywood Gingerbread Stouts :unsmigghh:

six years ago a case of GBS would have been a huge deal- i (mostly) remember getting pretty housed with a couple of goons on it and a bunch of weird variants/randalls that year, but for some odd reason haven't enjoyed it as much since... that said, the coffee variants are good and definitely worthy of inclusion (they're releasing different versions every Saturday from November 3 to December 15; it's somewhere on facebook iirc). i take it you're staying in town?

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

More awesome. Thanks guys. It's my first time! I'll go look for one of dem Styrofoam bottle shippers then.

not a terrible idea to put the entire styrofoam shipper inside of a garbage bag- if something breaks and liquid gets to the outside of the box, it may either be returned to you or straight-up "discarded," which means some dudes from the sorting facility are drinking the eleven surviving beers (and it's on you to take care of it in either case). i used to manage UPS Stores, so if that post from the trading thread isn't detailed enough, feel free to message me with any questions. also, once you get an assignment, sites like seekabrew can help you determine whether or not you're about to ship someone a bunch of crap they can get at the corner store, not to mention most larger breweries include that information somewhere on their website.

air- posted:

wait, hasn't that happened before?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So stressful! My local u-haul did not have the foam wine shippers, but I did get a sectioned cardboard box..uhh box. I will do the "wrap it then wrap it some more" method whenever I have to ship.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
^^

Call around the local wine storage places, a lot times they have shippers they'll either sell or give away.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Awesome. So NO US Postal but UPS and FEDex is ok. Gotcha.

Lots of people ship USPS nowadays, doesn't seem to be a big deal. The last box I got was shipped via USPS and was trashed (it was poorly packed), to the point where I could see the can through a hole, and it sill got delivered.

One other piece of advice is to do the best you can to ensure what you're shipping isn't distributed to the area your recipient lives. Check the brewery's website, ask here, whatever. Free beer is good but it can be disappointing to receive a box of beer that you could pick up from the bottle shop down the street.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

danbanana posted:

IT'S MINE ALL MINE.

No seriously, is Krutster dead?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hey, i know that dude!

(seriously!)

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So stressful! My local u-haul did not have the foam wine shippers, but I did get a sectioned cardboard box..uhh box. I will do the "wrap it then wrap it some more" method whenever I have to ship.

you can order them online or call/ask around around at various wine shops, too (we don't have wine storage places around here as far as i know)

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'm in, we doing any rules aside from 12 wrapped beers? Dollar value, min number being brewery exclusive, etc?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Go to the Uhaul online store, they will ship you a 12 bottle shipper in a box. It's fun and easy.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thought about that, but we have till November 9th to sign up if I read that right. I'll just call around bevmos and local liqour stores in the mean time.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I’m in! Perfect excuse to thin the cellar out a bit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

This is why you're the 2nd best poster here.

After Krustster.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

danbanana posted:

This is why you're the 2nd best poster here.

After Krustster.

:twisted: not anymore

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Goon BIFs are best BIFs, I'm in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Call it "The 12 Days Of Christmas BIF"