Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Having to do Bozja to unlock Beastmaster would be odd. The most you have to do to unlock a job is go to Ishgard. Blue Mage just needed you to be level 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sage and Reaper will probably unlock at level 70 and require you to have visited Kugane.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

Sage and Reaper will probably unlock at level 70 and require you to have visited Kugane.

No they won't. They've completely removed restrictions like that from jobs. It's why jobs are only in the three starting cities now.

But a limited job I feel like they could do whatever they want with - though if they do make it like BLU and only have a level requirement then the IVth Legion Beastmasters will probably not appear at all.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Red Mage and Samurai only require that you own Stormblood and have a Disciple of War/Magic job at level 50, you needn't have even finished the 2.0 MSQ.
Dancer and Gunbreaker are the same, except that you need to own Shadowbringers and have a Disciple of War/Magic job at level 60.

I'd guess that hypothetically you could take a new account in Endwalker, level Gladiator to 70 through living in Palace for some ungodly reason, and beat The Ultima Weapon for the first time on your shiny new Reaper.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I first did Praetorium as Red Mage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RME posted:

the real irony is there are so many beastmasters in bozja but you wont be allowed to bring beastmaster into bozja

they already marked their territory, we cant go there

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope they at least get the limited jobs working together because if you can't party up for stupid gimmick runs as BLU and BST it's gonna be really weird that they just keep making these little isolated jobs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BST should be able to capture any enemy in the game so you can bring Zenos or Gaius along for fights like that gimmick thing from FFX-2

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The morbol-mount equivalent for Beastmaster is the Pagaga emote.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope they at least get the limited jobs working together because if you can't party up for stupid gimmick runs as BLU and BST it's gonna be really weird that they just keep making these little isolated jobs.

Agreed. You can keep specific achievements/rewards as all BLU or all BST but for general stuff it should be mixed.

And that the new prestigious rewards that come out afterwards are OK being mixed too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Agreed. You can keep specific achievements/rewards as all BLU or all BST but for general stuff it should be mixed.

And that the new prestigious rewards that come out afterwards are OK being mixed too.

VEry excited for 6 years from now where you have a full light party of limited jobs.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Having to do Bozja to unlock Beastmaster would be odd. The most you have to do to unlock a job is go to Ishgard. Blue Mage just needed you to be level 50

You also need to have finished the 2.0 MSQ. iirc the 51/61 quests also require completing HW/StB.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Vitamean posted:

You also need to have finished the 2.0 MSQ. iirc the 51/61 quests also require completing HW/StB.

Yeah, I know for certain that you can't do the 50-60 quests without completing 3.3, because my alt is level 60 in BLU but hasn't done any of those quests because she's only on 3.1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm a lunatic who has an actual alt, and my alt just hit the level 35 AST quest, which raises a very interesting point of fluff: the constellation The Balance, Leveva says, represents the heaven of fire, maintained by both the Traders Nald'thal (also the gods of the underworld), and... Azeyma, known to Sharlayans as the Warden. According to Leveva, in Sharlayan beliefs, Azeyma is a patron of heroes who empowers mortal champions with divine might.

Takes on a rather different light now, doesn't it?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The card revamp, while better mechanically, doesn't quite fit the lore in the same way the old cards kinda did. There's a lot of neat lore about the cards, constellation, and the 12 in there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The card revamp, while better mechanically, doesn't quite fit the lore in the same way the old cards kinda did. There's a lot of neat lore about the cards, constellation, and the 12 in there.

And further, actually.

The one I always remember is the Spire. It's said to be a tale of Rhalgr, but if you pay attention to the description and compare it to lore elsewhere, it looks like it's actually a very distorted retelling of the Fourth Umbral Calamity, the 'Spire' being the Crystal Tower.

Which, if that's true, further suggests that maybe Rhalgr's depiction could be a description of Xande having gone through an EXTREMELY long game of telephone.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 12, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

And further, actually.

The one I always remember is the Spire. It's said to be a tale of Rhalgr, but if you pay attention to the description and compare it to lore elsewhere, it looks like it's actually a very distorted retelling of the Fourth Umbral Calamity, the 'Spire' being the Crystal Tower.

Which, if that's true, further suggests that maybe Rhalgr's depiction could be a description of Xande having gone through an EXTREMELY long game of telephone.

this is why I'm so eager to see the raid in EW, the 'mythology' of 14 is so interesting and there's so much implying that these 'gods' are just legendary figures more than literal cosmos level gods and all, I'm so excited to actually 'see' them in some form even if it's just EDEN style 'these are explicitly just representations you're not actually killing Ralgr'

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I still think the reason nobody's been able to summon the twelve as primals is that Lahabrea had them all summoned but locked in his basement and you can't summon a primal that's already summoned (for... some reason, not clear on why tbh). We'll probably go smoke them for the same reason we smoked the warring triad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I wouldn't be shocked if that's the case, maybe not Lahabrea (he's already the focus of the 24 man, it'd be a lil lame if they used him for both raids) but yea some force has the 12 summoned and bound for...reasons that I'm sure sounded good at the time (maybe a Garlean 'we'll deny the races of man their gods so they focus on the beast tribes' summoning' thing?) and now uh oh the seals are breaking and we've gotta go punch our god in the face.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Corbeau posted:

I still think the reason nobody's been able to summon the twelve as primals is that Lahabrea had them all summoned but locked in his basement and you can't summon a primal that's already summoned (for... some reason, not clear on why tbh). We'll probably go smoke them for the same reason we smoked the warring triad.
Primals all seem to be singular thoughtforms in the lifestream and they can only have one incarnation each at a time. I think if you forced a double with enough crystals you would just create a new entity similar to the original, sort of like how the moogles made our rightful liege-lord or how Ysayle made 'Shiva' even though the actual Shiva was not in the lifestream to summon at all.

It would make sense if the Twelve are otherwise engaged somehow kettled up given that by all rights, Ilberd's bullshit should have summoned something like Rhalgr, but obviously did not.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah the impression I get is that you could totally summon with the mindset of "I don't want Ifrit. I just want something that looks like ifrit and has the same powers. But it isn't the Ifrit. Just an identical twin" and it'd work and summon not-Ifrit even if Ifrit was currently active. But summoning also seems to require such strong emotions that it might be hard to pull that off, especially for someone who worships Ifrit. Ilberd summoned with the focus of "idk, just a really strong dragon I guess" and Shinryu was created out of whole cloth and I don't see why you couldn't use a similar method to get legally distinct replicas of primals

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah the impression I get is that you could totally summon with the mindset of "I don't want Ifrit. I just want something that looks like ifrit and has the same powers. But it isn't the Ifrit. Just an identical twin" and it'd work and summon not-Ifrit even if Ifrit was currently active. But summoning also seems to require such strong emotions that it might be hard to pull that off, especially for someone who worships Ifrit. Ilberd summoned with the focus of "idk, just a really strong dragon I guess" and Shinryu was created out of whole cloth and I don't see why you couldn't use a similar method to get legally distinct replicas of primals

Ifrit with a mustache

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's one of the big mysteries to me. It's probably not even that there's a part of them from the lifestream that needs to be present, because Ifrit's inspiration was Ifrita, and as an Ancient concept, did not have a soul.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like "there's a strong cultural concept of what this is like" is what lets the creation magic work in the first place given that you don't have a blueprint of what you want.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If Rhalgr is Xande, then summoners should get him for their next demi-summon.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess this is actually a plot hole, but I think they would probably handwave it by saying that Nidhogg's eyes twisted the aether of Ilberd's summoning with a thousand years of pure draconic rage and hatred, and so instead of summoning Rhalgr, God of Destruction, or manifesting another hybrid Nidhogg, Elder Dragon, they split the difference and got Shinryu, Destruction Dragon.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
It's not really a plot hole, because Ilberd was never even trying to summon Rhalgr. He states outright that he wanted something akin to Bahamut.

All those people who got sacrificed for the primal didn't get a say in the matter, because they were just the fuel not the summoners.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure their dying prayers to the Twelve were involved somehow, but I'm not an eikonnossieur so I couldn't tell you exactly how it works.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure their dying prayers to the Twelve were involved somehow, but I'm not an eikonnossieur so I couldn't tell you exactly how it works.

I choose to believe this entire conversation was just an elaborate setup to enable this pun

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FFXIV 5.55 Spoiler Thread: but I'm not an eikonnossieur

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Due to lacking knowledge about Final Fantasy history (thus not recognizing Shinryu) and probably not paying enough attention the details of the lore of this game(not realizing Rhalgr was Just Some Dude until I actually got to Stormblood to see his statues) I thought at first that Ilberd had summoned Rhalgr. Rhalgr being a big ol dragon thing made perfect sense as far as I knew!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Badger of Basra posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Badger of Basra posted:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

:hmmyes:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

you can't summon rhalgr cuz he's busy hanging out with the sylphs

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's one of the big mysteries to me. It's probably not even that there's a part of them from the lifestream that needs to be present, because Ifrit's inspiration was Ifrita, and as an Ancient concept, did not have a soul.
Engendered creations could accidentally get a soul when they're created, that's why Hades beat up Phoenix in the short story. Presumably they're tied to that form afterwards, which is what makes them unique.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rhalgr (and each of the gods) is an agent of Tzeentch and can’t be summoned as a primal since everyone has a different impression in mind.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Honestly I have a fair bit of fun looking up references to old games because the XIV version is usually visually appealing and doesn't need nostalgia for me to think it's super rad. They're drawing from a broad well of inspiration and only sometimes drawing directly from a version that already exists in another game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nessus posted:

Primals all seem to be singular thoughtforms in the lifestream and they can only have one incarnation each at a time. I think if you forced a double with enough crystals you would just create a new entity similar to the original, sort of like how the moogles made our rightful liege-lord or how Ysayle made 'Shiva' even though the actual Shiva was not in the lifestream to summon at all.

It would make sense if the Twelve are otherwise engaged somehow kettled up given that by all rights, Ilberd's bullshit should have summoned something like Rhalgr, but obviously did not.

I've always thought that the 'there can only be one of a primal around at a time' was a weird and muddy part of the lore, because there's never really a reason for it. So I always thought that a big part of it is more psychological than anything: you can't summon a second Ifrit while the first one's around not because it's impossible, but because you personally know that there is only one Ifrit. It's hard to have faith in the fact you're summoning The One, Real Ifrit when another Ifrit is right there.

I also think that summoning members of The Twelve must be possible, because the Ascians tried to get the young Ala Mhigan rebels to summon Rhalgr in that one MSQ subplot nobody remembers. If the Ascians know The Twelve can't be summoned, either due to Ascian shenanigans or just natural fact, what would be the point in provoking a group of youths into specifically summoning Rhalgr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It was in a live letter like half a decade ago but the reason you can't summon the same primal twice is because after the initial summoning that aether is something like imprinted by the primal. If you want to summon that same consciousness you need to retrieve that aether, and if it's already in use it just won't work. You can summon another Ifrit as long as long as it isn't the same being and you don't expect it to have that, but then you're just summoning a different fire god and not the Amaljaa war god myth.