Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Remora posted:

Why? People are pretty clearly happy to pay money for pens that break, so why fix it?

Customer service presumably costs a nonzero amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

They've had something like 4 generations now to get the non-scratch hardening coating to a point where it doesn't make the plastic super brittle. I haven't really seen any progress yet, based on the multiple diamond 580s I own that have broken caps/barrels.

My ECO doesn't seem to have that problem; it just has really thin plastic in places.

You'd expect a company that was an OEM for the large Japanese companies (and probably Pelikan, based on what I've read) for a few decades to get this poo poo right.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kessel posted:

A quick glance at the fountain pen Facebook groups confirms the usual: pens snapping at the feed, leakage into the section and so on.

:psyduck: How in the hell is TWSBI so bad at this? Outside of the micarta special editions have they ever released a product without serious issues?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

grack posted:

:psyduck: How in the hell is TWSBI so bad at this? Outside of the micarta special editions have they ever released a product without serious issues?

If the tone of the email I received when my mini cracked is anything to go by, cracks are caused by user error:

quote:

P.S. when you turn end cap, please do not over tight.

I suspect that the heart of the problem is the difference between making someone else's parts designed elsewhere and doing it all in-house without the engineering expertise available at Lamy, Pilot, Pelikan etc

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

TWSBI's saving grace has always been their service and willingness to immediately send out replacement parts. I've had something like 5 or 6 instances when I've needed replacement parts from them, and they usually gently push the user error angle while still sending the parts free of charge with negligible hassle.

My suspicion is that we are going to see their service quality degrade as their volume increases, especially if they fail to increase the size of their north American service department beyond a single guy. I also suspect that they will be less willing to support a $30 pen that is likely to go down in price than they are a $50-70 flagship. They certainly weren't too excited to help me out with my ECO's crazy nib.

That being said, I want that metal-bodied hexagonal pen they've been teasing real bad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kerbtree posted:

If the tone of the email I received when my mini cracked is anything to go by, cracks are caused by user error:

If you can break a pen by over tightening the piston the design probably has issues.

My Man Shran posted:

That being said, I want that metal-bodied hexagonal pen they've been teasing real bad.

One word: Shrapnel

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

There's a Massdrop going on of Rhodia staplebound notepads at 8.25 x 11.75”. ~$8 per pad after shipping, which is cheaper than I've them online (typically >$10), and also cheaper than my local hole in the wall office supply store had them ($9).

They're expensive, but I've started doing my homework on one of these this semester and I really love the paper and the quality of the pad itself.

E- link for those interested (without the referral sry bout that)

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 14, 2015

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Zlocista posted:

There's a Massdrop going on of Rhodia staplebound notepads at 8.25 x 11.75”. ~$8 per pad after shipping, which is cheaper than I've them online (typically >$10), and also cheaper than my local hole in the wall office supply store had them ($9).

They're expensive, but I've started doing my homework on one of these this semester and I really love the paper and the quality of the pad itself.

link for the interested.

Way to sneak in a referral link, Mr "I can't wait to make money under the guise of education" Zlocista.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Didn't mean to; I'll correct it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Going back to knockoff chat, are there any good knockoffs of a Vanishing Point type pen?

edit: My Diamond 580 has never had a single problem, fingers crossed it stays that way.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 14, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Going back to knockoff chat, are there any good knockoffs of a Vanishing Point type pen?

There aren't any at all. The closest would be a safety pen with a retracting nib but they still have normal caps on them.

You could also get a steel-nibbed version which are a little cheaper, but not much cheaper than getting a gold-nibbed version - http://www.amazon.com/PILOT-Capless-special-alloy-Yellow/dp/B001AX5SGC

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

grack posted:

There aren't any at all. The closest would be a safety pen with a retracting nib but they still have normal caps on them.

You could also get a steel-nibbed version which are a little cheaper, but not much cheaper than getting a gold-nibbed version - http://www.amazon.com/PILOT-Capless-special-alloy-Yellow/dp/B001AX5SGC

You can pick them up super cheap through j-subculture, but bear in mind, support will be shite if anything is wrong.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Lamy Dialog, which is a twist action similar to a Capless Fermo. It costs twice as much though.

There's also some special edition assemble-it-yourself pen from Visconti with a twist action retractable nib that even looks like an elaborate Capless, but it costs ten times as much.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Are there any well-liked, non TWSBI piston-filling pens (non converter) in the $50-or-under range?

EDIT: I guess Noodler's Ahab is one? I would rather avoid that since people here have reported a bunch of problems with them.

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 14, 2015

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

guppy posted:

Are there any well-liked, non TWSBI piston-filling pens (non converter) in the $50-or-under range?

I wouldn't call this a popular option, but I've had good luck with a few cheap Indian piston fillers. My favorite is this Airmail/Wality one that took its visual inspiration from the Parker 45; I'm not sure what it's model number is, but it was like $3. A lot of people speak well of the FRP branded piston fillers, such as the Dilli and the Jaipur.

The Dilli is 50% off right now: http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/Pen_of_the_day.html

Also: Don't buy a noodler's konrad. Don't buy a noodler's anything.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My Man Shran posted:

I wouldn't call this a popular option, but I've had good luck with a few cheap Indian piston fillers. My favorite is this Airmail/Wality one that took its visual inspiration from the Parker 45; I'm not sure what it's model number is, but it was like $3. A lot of people speak well of the FRP branded piston fillers, such as the Dilli and the Jaipur.

The Dilli is 50% off right now: http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/Pen_of_the_day.html

I love my Konrad and my Ahab, but don't buy them unless you're a tinkerer, for real. My Guru and my Indus from FPR are both pretty swell. The Indus has a construction quirk with the section that makes it just a tiny bit of a pain in the rear end to clean, but they're both good pens for sure. I've got a Triveni Jr. that I use as an eyedropper as well and it's pretty fantastic too.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 15, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Just picked up a Pilot 742 :dance:

Now just gotta wait. $103 on Amazon, ridiculously good price for that pen right now.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

My Man Shran posted:

That's a little harsh. They're great pens if you can handle them.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I got an Ahab as a gift last year and I think it's fine, but I feel like the nib could use a bit of smoothing (steel flex nib is kind of blah). Has a good enough hand feel, but if someone's dead set at not buying a Noodler's thing, then, uh...

Nibs.com has the LE 2015 Vanishing Point for 240. Christmas gift for me?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I prefer my Konrad to my Ahab.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

aldantefax posted:

Don't hesitate. Just do it. Buy 14 bottles of ink while you're at it.

Also: try slapping an off-the-shelf #6 nib in your ahab. Putting a Nemosine 0.6 stub in mine made it more than usable until the filling unit threads decided to quit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

teraflame posted:

Check if there is a Muji store near you. Their stationery section is great and they have a student discount going on.

A few pages late, but I'm like 90% sure that Muji sources at least some of their notebook paper from Maruman. I use the Maruman Mnemosyne notebook line, and my ex-girlfriend once bought a notebook from Muji that had paper that looked, felt, and performed identically to the paper in my notebook. Plus I doubt Muji manufactures their own paper, and they're both Japanese companies, so...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I want to swap the nib on my metro but uh, I can't seem to disassemble it? I found a video on YouTube and the guy just pulls the nib/feed out. Is there a trick I'm missing or do I just need to get more SWOLE?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Xun posted:

So I want to swap the nib on my metro but uh, I can't seem to disassemble it? I found a video on YouTube and the guy just pulls the nib/feed out. Is there a trick I'm missing or do I just need to get more SWOLE?

Just pull harder. Make sure you're pulling it straight, so nothing can crack or bend.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

aldantefax posted:

Goulet has it for 192, though I couldn't find it on j-subculture.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Xun posted:

Soak it in warm water for a few minutes and use a piece of nonadhesive shelf liner to grip the nib. If it's still tough wiggle it side to side a little. Don't pull too hard or you could warp the nib.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

fart simpson posted:

A few pages late, but I'm like 90% sure that Muji sources at least some of their notebook paper from Maruman. I use the Maruman Mnemosyne notebook line, and my ex-girlfriend once bought a notebook from Muji that had paper that looked, felt, and performed identically to the paper in my notebook. Plus I doubt Muji manufactures their own paper, and they're both Japanese companies, so...

They do, at least some seasons.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

grack posted:

Soak it in warm water for a few minutes and use a piece of nonadhesive shelf liner to grip the nib. If it's still tough wiggle it side to side a little. Don't pull too hard or you could warp the nib.

I use those rubber dipped work gloves, pops right out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've got a Pilot Metro with a fine point nib. Recently, it's been getting extremely scratchy feeling when I write, and I can't figure out why. I've cleaned it, but it doesn't seem to help. It seems like there might be something stuck in it but I can't see anything. Ideas on how to clean it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did you change you writing angle?
are you using a different ink?
Did you go back to using Fine after a stint with Mediums?

Fine is a scratchy nib to start with so you may just be feeling the scratch after using some M nibs.. or an F that's not the dinky little Japan Fine.
Also different inks can feel different in a pen.
Third.. get a loupe like this bad boy and see if you can find anything.. FP's and the naked eye suck for diagnosis.. small things can really throw them off.. like a paper fiber.
http://amzn.to/1Fs9AUd

These guys may also work if you have a harbor freight nearby, the 10x should be enough to help you see a crusty nib.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-loupe-set-98722.html

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nothing's changed, I just noticed it one day and can't figure out what's going on.

I've used it for months before so I know what it "should" feel like. It seems that suddenly it's scratching all over the place and the ink flow has become extremely erratic. No changes to ink or anything, and I even cleaned it out once I noticed it.

I may have something stuck in it, but I don't have a loupe. I might try sticking it under a microscope and seeing if anything comes up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sounds like the nib has something stuck.
Give it a good flush and clean with a bulb syringe if it hasn't gotten a fresh cleaning in a bit.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think it figured it out, my pen had a parasite.

It also laid eggs inside my tines.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 23, 2015

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

voted 5

5'ing now

5'ing it harder

and again

and again

and again

oh wait that was only a dream (or was it?)

pls explain t14

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
what the actual loving gently caress :stare:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It just looks like paper fibers to me.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Massdrop has a new pen up from Porsche Designs. Choice of either a solid titanium pen or solid gold, but no cap or retractable nib, just an aluminum carry case.

If it reaches its order goal it'll be almost 55% off MSRP, but this probably won't happen for various reasons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Noctone posted:

It just looks like paper fibers to me.

The pen equivalent of morgellons :v:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

PRADA SLUT posted:

The Amazing Spider-Pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You should probably check alignment if you're digging up that much paper fiber.

A perfectly-tuned nib shouldn't retain any parts of the bug you stab with it.