Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:dance:

Hellas, come out to play-ay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Oh good, I probably won't die horribly this time. Discretion is the better part of valor and all that.

And that dreadnought looks sweet. Definitely a potential ace up our sleeve.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I think I'm still on my obsolete corvette in Sol so, uh, go get em guys! I'll say something nice at your empty casket funeral.

And build that Hellas-sweet ride. Being able to bull 20k warships (and/or itself) into a potentially hostile ungated jump point is nice.

I wonder if it's possible to add some quarters to extend its deployment while keeping the same tooling, making it better for sitting at a jp as a tender? I know there's a formula to calculate the whole "multi-design shipyard" thing but I've always just had to fiddle with the designs while constantly checking the other tab after every change.

I'd love if the new version gets a design tool to do this automatically.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
So the mechanics of Aurora, the ECM we've seen them use, and the nebula futzing things further means we want to engage at point blank range even when the target is much, much bigger than our ships?

I can accept that, but if anyone wants to write an effortpost on hit chance mechanics (or link to one earlier in the thread if it exists) I'd read it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saros posted:

By the way - the boys and girls over in the skunkworks have discovered that by tearing the missile suite out of a Hellas Dreadnought you can kludge in one of the super jump engines discovered on Ranginui V and still have space for an upgraded sensor suite and a touch more fuel. It is also close enough to be built from a shipyard tooled for a normal Hellas class.

We are still a long way from managing to duplicate the jump drive. Massing 2000T and jumping up to 20,000T it is 10% smaller than our own which mass 2200T and are only capable of jumping 9900T.

Make it so!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 16, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rawkking posted:

So the mechanics of Aurora, the ECM we've seen them use, and the nebula futzing things further means we want to engage at point blank range even when the target is much, much bigger than our ships?

I can accept that, but if anyone wants to write an effortpost on hit chance mechanics (or link to one earlier in the thread if it exists) I'd read it.

The base hit chance for beams is determined entirely by your beam fire control. Accuracy is highest at point blank and drops off linearly with range, so it's usually best to overengineer your BFC's to have a much longer range than the guns they'll be directing to max out accuracy. BFC's also have a tracking speed, and the faster the target goes beyond that the worse your accuracy gets (weapons mounts also have tracking speeds, so even if your BFC can crunch the numbers you might still get the penalty if your guns physically can't track with it). Every level of enemy ECM that's not countered by your own ECCM takes a flat 10% off your hit chance, and then after all that the hit chance is divided by the nebula level.

So against these guys we're losing half our accuracy to the nebula and then another flat -10% from their level 3 ECM (we only have level 2 ECCM). Basically, even at point blank, we only have a ~40% hit chance, which falls off even more with range. And all this is assuming that new Shiva-class doesn't kick in the afterburners and start moving faster than our guns can track. The size of a target doesn't really matter because even "point-blank" is 10,000 km away - almost twice the diameter of Earth. These aren't cinematic Star Wars battles where everyone is in visual range and trading broadsides. At distances like that it doesn't matter how big or small the enemy ship physically is, it's a tiny point invisible to the human eye, light lag is a small but measurable consideration, and it's a miracle our magic computers can aim at all.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 16, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Rawkking posted:

That, and our weapons are suited for close range in general. We think this Shiva is probably very strongly armored, and our counters to that are shock damage from the spinal lasers and electronic damage from the microwave cannons. Both of those call for close range.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh yeah damage is affected by range as well as accuracy, I probably should've mentioned that. Lasers and plasma both lose damage as range increases, just like they lose accuracy. Seeing as our main weapons are lasers, being as close as possible to maximize damage is the smart play. Also our microwaves are relatively short-ranged so we need to get close if we want to use those, too.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
If this thing can outrun everything in the fleet. Would it not be be best to keep even the unarmed ships in the group to serve as ablative armor as it were? It seems that if the combat group dies the unarmed ships wont be far behind. Might as well throw as much meat in its way as possible.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah that was thrown around as an idea but it looks like Yooper/enough of the thread think it's better to send the support ships running and hope they can get away. Jump ships are expensive, I suppose, and it makes sense to try and save them if you think you can. I still think we should be properly +/- Fanatically charging with everything, but the decision's been made :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

they can only communicate via Google Hangouts or whatever, I'm open to talking to them then

In this instance I'm voting for genocide.

Also if it is only a single big ship, we can split the retreating ships, it can only follow one of them at a time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 16, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Well poo poo, I thought it might have been a non-combat ship but they're coming straight at us at full speed. They're basically repeating what the Iron Dukes did.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Since not everyone goes on Discord, here is the set of Martian Capital Ships (Hellas + New JT version) and then a comparison to my first gen capital ship drawings.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 16, 2017

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
The fact that it's immediately adjusting its bearing so that it's always at an exact interception course, even when the changes in our vector are minimal, suggests that this thing might be automated too. It'll be pretty funny if we get into a hell-war with some alien civilization and nobody on their side notices for like 4 months.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Unfortunately I am having some sort of bug where my own TF speeds are incorrectly shown as 2500kps or 0kps so just ignore those.

9 Jan, 0642hrs

As the Shiva passes into range of the fine resolution sensors on the Ark Royals Yooper breathes a sigh as they reveal no new ships in formation with it.

He grasps the throttle and takes direct control of the Azrael. The time for games is over, now only one thing remains.

"All ships follow me, i'm going in!"

The ships rapidly close to 200k km.

The Shiva comes about and Yooper sees the trails of no less than six enormous streams of charged particles leap out towards his ship. The Cat herder staggers as she takes a hit.

The fleet returns fire with smaller weapons but the long distance and the nebula plus the enemy's powerful ECM [30] means hits are few and far between. The large 45cm and 30cm lasers are held in reserve.

Speeding alongside the Cat Herder her sister ship the Target Lost reports internal explosions!

Yooper grimly continues to close the range, the Cat Herder suffering another round of Particle beam strikes. The enemy has superior speed and can set the range so he might have only a single chance for a full alpha strike at close range.

As the range hits 80k km he see's it. The Shiva begins to come about and open the range and he slams his fist on the fleetwide fire button.

Every ship fires every weapon in a massive torrent of light streaking out towards the Shiva.

No less than three of the four 45cm lasers hit the target [at only a 33% chance to hit!] and two strike precisely amidships in almost the exact same spot.

The result is instant, the ship belches atmosphere and suddenly, plasma as a enormous explosion rips through her.

Cat Herder takes two more hits that knock out her main weapon but this is hardly noticed at the bridge erupts into cheers. The enemy ship is shuddering to a halt and shedding pieces!

Unfortunately it quickly becomes apparent that the 'pieces' are parasite craft...

Target lost is wracked by internal explosions proving the Shiva may be mobility killed but she still has teeth.

The small contacts sprint forward at 12000kps. The main weapons are cycling or too slow so it is left to the PD cruisers to shoot them down, a task they take to with gutso. Unfortunately the weak autocannon hits make little impression on the heavily armored small craft and there are no breaches.

The 'Naga' contacts speed past the fleet shedding pods and shortly two cruisers are reporting hostile aliens on their hull! Prepare to repel boarders!

The Shiva fires again and Yooper orders his units to fall back out of range until they can deal with the boarding threat. Foremost in his mind is taking the ship as intact as possible.

As they turn to retreat both of the Azreal's lose an engine slowing them to 3200kps. Yooper orders them to head for the support vessels for repair.

One final hit takes out the 15cm laser of Target lost before they can get out of range.

However they soon make it without further damage.

52 Casualties in total but it could should have been much worse. The fleet stops to attempt to deal with the boarders clinging to the hulls of the two Pollux class.

The current situation, Jan 047hrs

-------------------

OOC note.
You fuckers are so unbelievably lucky. Three of four 45cm hits at a 33% to-hit chance and two of them struck overlapping on a ninety-three square wide armor belt.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 16, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
0% luck or 100% luck, it seems.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It's better to be lucky than good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Oh, so it's LUCK that the finest gunners on Mars were able to throw a bullseye twice, is it? :smug:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Oh, so it's LUCK that the finest gunners on Mars were able to throw a bullseye twice, is it? :smug:

Yeah, because they're all screwed up on space hooch.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
As I was saying: never complain about gunnery practice ever again. :colbert:

(Of course, we will learn nothing and still charge headfirst at anything. Plusminusfanatics, after all.)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

frankenfreak posted:

As I was saying: never complain about gunnery practice ever again. :colbert:

(Of course, we will learn nothing and still charge headfirst at anything. Plusminusfanatics, after all.)

Given that apparently we cannot lose ever, the +/- fanatics increasingly have a point.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That should not have gone so well. Good that it did.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
So how bad are these boarders? Are we looking at having to kill two of our ships, are we in for some rough ship-board combat or did they just deliver us some snacks?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anta posted:

So how bad are these boarders? Are we looking at having to kill two of our ships, are we in for some rough ship-board combat or did they just deliver us some snacks?

Let's hope they don't try to flood our ship with a deadly, corrosive gas called "Oxygen".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mars endures :patriot:

Also holy poo poo, the Nagas have at least TEN armour layers :stare:

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Triton Fleet continues to endure.

How do we scrape off the boarders? Or are we just going to have to fight it out in the corridors?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I wonder if they're be drones or if they'll be actual aliens.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Crazyeyes24 posted:

How do we scrape off the boarders? Or are we just going to have to fight it out in the corridors?

Fix bayonets, obviously. :black101:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So why is it that having more armor layers allows you to go faster in a nebula?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Rhjamiz posted:

Let's hope they don't try to flood our ship with a deadly, corrosive gas called "Oxygen".

Hilarious if true.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Given that apparently we cannot lose ever, the +/- fanatics increasingly have a point.

I feel that it is not only inevitable but immensely in character for us to interpret this as some kind of manifest destiny and get steadily more over ambitious, until finally our hubris come home to roost in a suitably cataclysmic fashion.

GunnerJ posted:

Nebulae are giant clouds of dust, if you go through them too fast without protection your ship will be sandpapered away around you. Of course, that doesn't really make sense since it should be the hardness/toughness not thickness of your armour that protects you, but that's just how Aurora handles it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Jesus Christ. Yet again the Triton Exploration Fleet Endures.

I'm still saying this because it's still loving true.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Pharnakes posted:

Nebulae are giant clouds of dust, if you go through them too fast without protection your ship will be sandpapered away around you. Of course, that doesn't really make sense since it should be the hardness/toughness not thickness of your armour that protects you, but that's just how Aurora handles it.

OK, that's not the worst. I was thinking it might be based on mass to plow through the gas and dust but you don't really have to be massive to have thicc af armor.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

GunnerJ posted:

Presumably the space dust of the nebula would damage a ship running into it at full speed, so the armor cushions the impact or something allowing more heavily armored ships to move faster.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Who would have thought we'd manage to find the one exposed exhaust port on the side of their giant death weapon.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wow. Too bad we didn't bring any marine carriers to provide boarding parties of our own.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

So, the boarders. We have no actual marine units in the system so there's not a lot we can do except watch and hope the dice roll our way. (Unless saros lets us fluff it like we did when exploring the comet base. pretty please?)

Boarding rules are here: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Ground_combat#Boarding

Boarders take casualties just getting onto the hull of a moving target. It would have been pretty bad for them in this case: 18D10 percent casualties to each boarding unit, which explains why only two of the six enemy shuttles managed to land troops at all. Most of the enemy troops missed and just flew off into space.

So we're looking at a single enemy marine company on each ship, already attrited by some amount. A pollux's crew will have a defense rating of 3. A marine company has a base strength of 2, but that's increased by tech. So it's going to come down to how much ground troop tech the enemy has, how many casualties they took on the landing, and the RNG. God speed, pixelgoons.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LLSix posted:

Wow. Too bad we didn't bring any marine carriers to provide boarding parties of our own.

Or we can engineer those boarding torpedos full of animals driven mad by jump sickness.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Turn our weapons towards the ships about to be boarded. If the boarders win, blast away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Obviously plusminus fanatics like ourselves would have glory devices installed in every ship for just such a contingency, right? :v: