Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MrMidnight posted:

A bit off topic but what's everyone's views on Underworld Ascendant? Honestly I don't see it more than just another Skyrim type game that takes place entirely underground. I played both Ultima Underworld games when they came out and it was a breakthrough at the time but I have reservation about this one.
I never played either of the originals until finally firing up 1 on my DOS machine a few years back, and I was impressed that it was still fun even for someone who had no nostalgia associated with it.

That said, did you play Arx Fatalis? This came up in the Old-School CRPG thread too, but that is the reason I am excited for a new Underworld. Arx Fatalis was probably my favorite CRPG that basically got no attention either at time of release or after becoming an "overlooked gem."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Quarex posted:

I never played either of the originals until finally firing up 1 on my DOS machine a few years back, and I was impressed that it was still fun even for someone who had no nostalgia associated with it.

That said, did you play Arx Fatalis? This came up in the Old-School CRPG thread too, but that is the reason I am excited for a new Underworld. Arx Fatalis was probably my favorite CRPG that basically got no attention either at time of release or after becoming an "overlooked gem."

No I never did but I'll definitely take a look at it. It does look like Ultima Underworld III. I'm about to become a father soon which means my gaming time is going to go down drastically so I'm being pickier on what games I choose to spend my time on.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

JawKnee posted:

:lol: is that you?

Nope!

MrMidnight posted:

Even if its not I'm going to pretend it is from now on.

I'm ok with that.

Kharmakazy posted:

Your unarmed specialized dude appears to be quite armed as well. I'm just saying.

His weapons are part of his soul! (I'm using the fist weapons in the game though)

SoggyBobcat posted:

Pretty sure that picture is from one of the portrait packs that was posted here.

Yup, I made a bunch of terrible wasteland 2 portraits using random people from the internet and goon photos and that one is in there. The Six String Samurai ones came out great though!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm looking forward to the changes, I really would like to go back and finish this game, but some serious love/hate feelings. I was hoping the big bug patch fixed the bug in the Prison that made me rage quit, but it looks like it didn't. drat. If they rebalance stuff, though, the mechanics might just be new enough to give it a bit of freshness, and I can finally do the non-AgCenter start and see how that goes (although I will miss Rose, I guess I never really understood why she joined the team anyway so it's fine).

Looking forward to the Doomsday kit pics too!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

GlyphGryph posted:

Looking forward to the Doomsday kit pics too!
Ah jeeze now this I totally forgot about!

Let me finally upload those. OK, here we go!

THE WASTELAND 2 DOOMSDAY SURVIVAL KIT

Wait,
no h

hold on

how did this get here

OK! So, here we have the single most exciting piece of plastic to arrive at my door in ages. Inside is...

...A CUTE CANVAS BAG! Oh wait, if you turn it, you find...

...IT IS NO LONGER CUTE, BUT NOW AS RUGGED AS THE WINTER IS LONG

YES!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!

Inside is a bodacious canteen, and... and what is that?

A DISPOSABLE GAS MASK I THINK THEY ARE LEGITIMATELY PREPARING ME FOR THE END TIMES

Also featuring a glowstick and an emergency survival blanket. But who would need one of those in this day and age?

It is not like there is still an imprint of my license plate in the snow out in front of my house or anything

Nor that our back deck has been impassable for months or anything...

... I am going to die here.

SO! You ask, was the doomsday survival kit worth it?

Well, let me give you one guess as to whether I feel having an Official Desert Ranger Survival Bag is worth whatever price I had to pay. Correct, it was.

Secondly, I do not even remember what tier these started going out as, so it is possible I only got one by default for being bumped up several donation levels for brokering the Wasteland 1 cover art deal, in which case, uh, was it worth giving up the chance to own the original painting in exchange for this? YES, though only because my act has enabled hundreds of other people to also have a beautiful recreation of the original as well. Otherwise, dang, that would be tough. NO RE MOOOOOOORSE

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
That tiny blanket rocks haha.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
I'm looking for real game play, I haven't found it yet.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

GreaseMonkey posted:

I'm looking for real game play, I haven't found it yet.

You have to DOUBLE-click the shortcut that Steam creates on your desktop.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

lordfrikk posted:

That tiny blanket rocks haha.
I tried to fold myself into the package to use it but I think I am doing it wrong :(

AG3 posted:

You have to DOUBLE-click the shortcut that Steam creates on your desktop.
Actually I spent a few weeks experimenting, and it turns out you can click "play" directly in Steam, too. This changes everything. Real Game Play, here I come!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Quarex posted:

Actually I spent a few weeks experimenting, and it turns out you can click "play" directly in Steam, too. This changes everything. Real Game Play, here I come!

:aaaaa:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there a way to get the "real" Vulture's Cry dialogue if you fail to trigger it in Highpool? Or does anyone know what savegame flag I need to edit? This colors of the wind poo poo is nails on a chalkboard and I'm not even halfway through Arizona.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

InXile Entertainment posted:

inXile Entertainment <newsletters@inxile.net>
3:00 PM (20 hours ago)

to me
Hello Backer,

This email alert is to notify you that your Wasteland 2 poster has shipped!
"Poster? What poster?"

~-*coming home today at lunch*-~

"Why is there a poster tube at my door?"

"Welp, better assume it is interesting and take a picture"

"IT IS HERE ALREADY?!?!"

"Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

Will I ever actually find my name? Probably not. Maybe if Brother None (whose name is totally in the credits at the bottom; slick) has a copy of the original file he can do a search for me :D hahaha

But seriously this poster looks PHENOMENAL. I am so glad my wife spent years chastising me for ruining my posters, so that I will frame this rather than even contemplate taping/tacking it to the wall and beginning a slow slide to degradation and despair.

Edit: I should probably take a better picture of it not with random glare and stuff, but I will wait until framing it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's pretty badass. I got one too (didn't even know I was expecting one either) but the postman arrived at an ungodly hour so I sort of opened it to take a look at it, saw it was Vargas, thought it was pretty cool then put it back in the tube. I didn't spot the huge, huge list of names.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Quarex posted:

Will I ever actually find my name? Probably not. Maybe if Brother None (whose name is totally in the credits at the bottom; slick) has a copy of the original file he can do a search for me :D hahaha

Heh not quite, but the guy who designed it says you're in the first 25%. Happy hunting!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Brother None posted:

Heh not quite, but the guy who designed it says you're in the first 25%. Happy hunting!
That guy deserves all the kudos for making orange and green look that good together.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Huh, weird.

Wasteland 2 for the bone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpKUqHlOIDI

With big art and gameplay changes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
EDIT: Eh, looks like I was preceded, so I'll take out the abundantly redundant video link.

They just announced an Xbox One "Game of the Year" version of the game. Going from the enhancements mentioned (graphics overhaul, new quirks and perks, new precision strike system, more VO), this sounds like the Unity 5-updated version of the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

EDIT: Eh, looks like I was preceded, so I'll take out the abundantly redundant video link.

They just announced an Xbox One "Game of the Year" version of the game. Going from the enhancements mentioned (graphics overhaul, new quirks and perks, new precision strike system, more VO), this sounds like the Unity 5-updated version of the game.

I'm mostly interested in a differently balanced attributes system, but maybe the quirks will help.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In the KS update they mentioned that originally the patch was just one huge balance update and then it morphed into this, so, while it wasn't specifically a bullet point, I expect we'll see a bunch of balance changes in addition to the new options.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rinkles posted:

Huh, weird.

Wasteland 2 for the bone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpKUqHlOIDI

With big art and gameplay changes.
"'Pysically' Based Rendering" :iamafag:

I suppose I could be mad that this means Wasteland is for the first time in nearly 30 years not a computer-only franchise, but I do like the idea of games "smartened up for computers" coming to consoles too, so it does not just work in the reverse. Not that I really think there were all that many games "dumbed down for consoles" that would have been brilliant otherwise.

Plus, you know, the company making more money is surely an idea I have thrown my support behind.

QUIRKS & PERKS

Yep, the phrase "Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition" truly means my work is done here. Time to die en route to my home planet.

Edit: Uh oh, just realized there will probably be quite the "BUT MOD TOOLS!" reaction to this, and I do even have some sympathy to the viewpoint that letting modders go to town on the game might have even been a better business decision than releasing for XBox, to say nothing of making-PC-dudez-happy decisionmaking. But I suppose they did allude to mod tools being around the corner in the last update, so there is that.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 4, 2015

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Quarex posted:

"'Pysically' Based Rendering" :iamafag:

I suppose I could be mad that this means Wasteland is for the first time in nearly 30 years not a computer-only franchise, but I do like the idea of games "smartened up for computers" coming to consoles too, so it does not just work in the reverse. Not that I really think there were all that many games "dumbed down for consoles" that would have been brilliant otherwise.

Plus, you know, the company making more money is surely an idea I have thrown my support behind.

QUIRKS & PERKS

Yep, the phrase "Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition" truly means my work is done here. Time to die en route to my home planet.

Edit: Uh oh, just realized there will probably be quite the "BUT MOD TOOLS!" reaction to this, and I do even have some sympathy to the viewpoint that letting modders go to town on the game might have even been a better business decision than releasing for XBox, to say nothing of making-PC-dudez-happy decisionmaking. But I suppose they did allude to mod tools being around the corner in the last update, so there is that.

I don't see mod tools coming out until they've finished patching the game, at least all these major patches. Trying to keep the mod tools updated with the game would be a pain in the rear end, not to mention everyone's mods breaking when they do.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Quirks and Perks... I wonder if they'll be like traits and perks on the Fallout series? Maybe it'll help distinguish my dudes even more.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Being the heretic that I am I'll be the first to ask whether we'll get the controller-adapted interface (I assume there will be one, right?) on PC as well? Would definitely appreciate that.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 4, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Really hope the bone version makes them some money! Just hope the transfer isn't too big a deal and that the new interface works out for them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

lordfrikk posted:

Being the heretic that I am I'll be the first to ask whether we'll get the controller-adapted interface (I assume there will be one, right?) on PC as well? Would definitely appreciate that.

This would be pretty neat. I'd probably never use it myself but the extra option is always nice.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Game is coming to PlayStation 4 too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
:911:

Now for the WiiU and Vita and N-Gage announcements.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey so my monitor is pretty old, and it can't do 1280x720. Does this mean I can't ever run the original Wasteland that was included with Wasteland 2?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lurdiak posted:

Hey so my monitor is pretty old, and it can't do 1280x720. Does this mean I can't ever run the original Wasteland that was included with Wasteland 2?

Afaik, it's just a custom DOSBox with pre-defined settings (especially render settings). You can just pick out the game files, slap them into a DOSBox of your own design and go turn some Leather Thugs into blood sausage.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is my game bugged? Spoilers for the Hollywood section:

I'm brokering peace with Veronica and McDade. I went through the Hollywood sewers and killed Holly and the dealers, and then went through the Church and killed Jones and a bunch of priests. FAQs tell me there's a peace treaty scene that's supposed to trigger and isn't. Veronica is still in the HCC office and McDade is by the entrance to Los Feliz, and both are non-interactive.

Am I missing something? Do I have to also kill every single priest in Griffith Park and Los Feliz?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I found a bug with Scotchmo's health points. I wanted to see what Angela Deth had to say upon reaching the Canyon of Titan so I kicked Scotchmo off the team and picked her up, went to the Canyon, and came back to get Scotchmo. Scotchmo's total HP dropped from 214 to 197. I assume he lost his Luck-gained HP. I can probably fix it on the savegame data, but this max HP loss bug is kind of annoying.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Elotana posted:

Is my game bugged? Spoilers for the Hollywood section:

I'm brokering peace with Veronica and McDade. I went through the Hollywood sewers and killed Holly and the dealers, and then went through the Church and killed Jones and a bunch of priests. FAQs tell me there's a peace treaty scene that's supposed to trigger and isn't. Veronica is still in the HCC office and McDade is by the entrance to Los Feliz, and both are non-interactive.

Am I missing something? Do I have to also kill every single priest in Griffith Park and Los Feliz?

When it tells you about the signing, there is a conference sideroom in the brothel you need to go to.
If that doesn't trigger, welp Hollywood struck again.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The Wasteland 2 Facebook page teased the upcoming Quirks:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm at Darwin Village, but don't have the passcode to the gate yet. Will I be missing stuff plotwise if I just blast it open with a rocket and go on in

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm at Darwin Village, but don't have the passcode to the gate yet. Will I be missing stuff plotwise if I just blast it open with a rocket and go on in

You shouldn't miss anything by going that way.

If you saved the AG Center, Rose can open the door. OR you can also find the door code back in the museum at Ranger Citadel.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

How old is your monitor? :stare: Even CRTS could do 1600x1200 at 19 inches or above.

Unless you're talking about laptops which sort of make sense considering laptop resolutions are languishing in the late 90s still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

How old is your monitor? :stare: Even CRTS could do 1600x1200 at 19 inches or above.

Well the thing about that is....

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
What a blast from the past

There's a joke in here somewhere about wanting to have an experience as close to the original game as possible

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I had a much newer and better monitor but it gave me horrible headaches. Someone who had a similar problem donated me their old one. This thing's such a dinosaur that the plastic's yellowed out like an old NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I had a much newer and better monitor but it gave me horrible headaches. Someone who had a similar problem donated me their old one. This thing's such a dinosaur that the plastic's yellowed out like an old NES.

That might be a side effect of a refresh rate your eyes can't handle. Most monitors are operate at 60 hz but you could probably see if there's other settings you can put it to (70/75/120hz)

That monitor came out in 2000/1 :stare:

• Locked thread