Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

TG-Chrono posted:

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/th...ing-alex-fasolo

I wish Mark Robinson would just stop being an alcoholic. God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Eddie's grandstanding is in the best interest of Alex Fasolo's health?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

The rule needs to be, in my opinion, as follows.

IF after taking possession of a ball during a "play on" scenario (aka, handball receive or called play on) the player has exactly two seconds to dispose of the ball legally. IF the player is impacted by an opposition player so that they are dispossessed (aka, drop the ball or have it taken from them) or can no longer dispose legally after this 2 seconds they are considered to be infringing and paid a free kick against.

Yeah, something like this should be done. I don't know about specific wording (though that seems pretty good), but as much subjectivity as possible needs to be removed from the umpiring.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah. Throw in the caveats about illegal tackles (over the shoulder unless the player's surname is Selwood etc.) and we're good.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah. Throw in the caveats about illegal tackles (over the shoulder unless the player's surname is Selwood etc.) and we're good.

You just have to say "dispossessed legally" as the rule for a legal bump/tackle is elsewhere.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I really don't think there's much of an argument about the best player at taking speccies. Howe has it in a canter by sheer weight of numbers in his resume.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I really don't think there's much of an argument about the best player at taking speccies. Howe has it in a canter by sheer weight of numbers in his resume.

Andrew Walker waz robbed

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

If only Jurrah had a longer career

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

If only Jurrah had a longer career

Jurrah was legit the only player I've seen that you can reasonably say showed serious signs of being the next Ablett Senior.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Martin Flanagan gushed about Jurrah on his appearance on the Age footy podcast.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

You just have to say "dispossessed legally" as the rule for a legal bump/tackle is elsewhere.

Naw man gently caress that poo poo, RUN THROUGH THE oval office YOU FUCKS!@!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

TG-Chrono posted:

I think it was 2010 or 2011 he was got the gong for mark and goal of the round 9 times in the one season. Dude was unbelievably talented.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
gently caress im glad o'meara chose the hawks

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

TG-Chrono posted:

I loved that episode but Greg Baum makes that pod almost impossible to listen to IMO. They should ditch him and Caro, get Dan Cherny or Sam McClure on weekly and rotate Jimmy Bartel and Daisy Pearce.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shmoses posted:

I loved that episode but Greg Baum makes that pod almost impossible to listen to IMO. They should ditch him and Caro, get Dan Cherny or Sam McClure on weekly and rotate Jimmy Bartel and Daisy Pearce.

The just between us thing is painful as gently caress too

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

The just between us thing is painful as gently caress too

Really? That's my favourite part of the pod, although I hate the stings in and out of it.
What other pods do y'all listen to? I give the News Corp and Fox Footy ones a crack but don't always finish them. I tried Junktime but it didn't grab me and the Wil Anderson one is way too long, not funny enough and terribly produced. Footy needs a Football Ramble style pod

EDIT: Also The Age's pod dropping on a Wednesday is a joke

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shmoses posted:

Really? That's my favourite part of the pod, although I hate the stings in and out of it.
What other pods do y'all listen to? I give the News Corp and Fox Footy ones a crack but don't always finish them. I tried Junktime but it didn't grab me and the Wil Anderson one is way too long, not funny enough and terribly produced. Footy needs a Football Ramble style pod

EDIT: Also The Age's pod dropping on a Wednesday is a joke

The fox footy podcast is the only one I can say I generally enjoy. I sometimes listen to the herald sun one but usually turn it off when one of the dickheads starts spouting Liberal talking points.

E:oh actually, if I miss it over the weekend I'll catch up with the Grandstand shows via their podcast feed.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 14, 2017

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

The fox footy podcast is the only one I can say I generally enjoy. I sometimes listen to the herald sun one but usually turn it off when one of the dickheads starts spouting Liberal talking points.

E:oh actually, if I miss it over the weekend I'll catch up with the Grandstand shows via their podcast feed.

Yeah I can find Mick Warner a bit tough to take when he starts banging on about the nanny state or whatever but I quite like Lauren Wood. I struggle with Fox Footy when Jules de Stoop is on, I can't have him.

The Grandstand ones annoy me a little bit, by the time they drop they're already irrelevant. I like the Press Room though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This weeks fox footy podcast was recorded on Monday morning :psyduck:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

This weeks fox footy podcast was recorded on Monday morning :psyduck:

Yeah I couldn't quite believe that. How can you leave out the biggest game of the round?

In on-field news, Cory Gregson is going for a second round of surgery on a navicular stress fracture. Bad news, naviculars are hosed - real concerns for his career. Josh Cowan is having achilles surgery too, I don't think he'll be on Geelong's list in 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

EDDIEBETTS took the bye week fitness program the coaches gave him down to his local ammo club on seniors training night, knocked on the door, and asked if he could run out with them while he did it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Must be good bloke night on 360. Phil Carmen, Sam Mitchell and Brent Harvey

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Speaking of 360: Robbo said last night that, after he spoke to Eddie that he was told by both the AFLPA main guy and Fasolo's manager that Fasolo wanted a written apology. Eddie apparently wasn't aware of that.

I'm not sure how that works if Eddie got medical advice to the contrary but maybe Robbo isn't as big an rear end as first thought?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Speaking of 360: Robbo said last night that, after he spoke to Eddie that he was told by both the AFLPA main guy and Fasolo's manager that Fasolo wanted a written apology. Eddie apparently wasn't aware of that.

I'm not sure how that works if Eddie got medical advice to the contrary but maybe Robbo isn't as big an rear end as first thought?

Surely you check back in with the club regarding the medical advice.

Also surely to loving god you don't try and guilt Fasolo into an interview

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Surely you check back in with the club regarding the medical advice.

Also surely to loving god you don't try and guilt Fasolo into an interview

You would hope so. But it is Robbo so all that stuff is pretty in line with what you'd expect from a drunk. Can't expect him to solve complex problems like that.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Oh good, Paddy McCartin has done something to his knee (he's getting scans tomorrow to find out exactly what) and is out for 2 weeks. gently caress off football I'm sick of you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Oh good, Paddy McCartin has done something to his knee (he's getting scans tomorrow to find out exactly what) and is out for 2 weeks. gently caress off football I'm sick of you.

This year has gone to poo poo hasn't it

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

:tif:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

harperdc posted:

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

Goddard has injured a tendon in his foot (not his achilles again thank gently caress) and is meeting with a surgeon to figure out how bad it is. He's listed as indefinite on the Saints injury list. :suicide:

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
To be fair, indefinite could be a week.

But it won't be. :rip:

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

Eddie didn't get medical advice to the contrary. He is a liar and his conduct in this saga is every bit as bad as Robbo's.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

racing identity posted:

Eddie didn't get medical advice to the contrary. He is a liar and his conduct in this saga is every bit as bad as Robbo's.

It really isn't cause Eddie didn't write a dumb loving tweet about mental illness and then try to leverage an interview out of it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

When trying to figure out who is the bigger oval office, Eddie McGuire, or Robbo, I will always lean Eddie.

That is also to say that shaming/demeaning a players public battle with mental illness in a tweet and then using th eapology to guilt an exclusive is a horrible thing to do.

It's just that Eddie has prior form, and I hate him more.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

harperdc posted:

Im pretty sure that for people who enjoy AFL, but dont support a specific team, the year has been loving fantastic.

if you support a team though, its been poo poo, specifically for your team.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I find it pretty amusing that people are getting stuck into robbo for being an insensitive poo poo about depression by making fun of his alcoholism

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

I find it pretty amusing that people are getting stuck into robbo for being an insensitive poo poo about depression by making fun of his alcoholism

Fair point. Him being a piece of poo poo is completely independent of his apparent alcoholism. Personally don't think his employers should enable him by putting him on air drunk but oh well.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

I wasn't really making fun of Robbo's alcoholism but simply stating that his decision making skills are exactly what I'd expect from an alcoholic. Source: I have a close family member that is an alcoholic.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
To be fair, Robinson likely isnt an actual on air drunken idiot and more just a regular one.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Is there actually some source somewhere that Robbo does go on air drunk? I mean it certainly seems that way, but is it "proven" or just speculation?

Robbo seemed to initially awhile back have his heart in the right place on a lot of issues, he was just terrible at articulating himself and would often come across sounding worse-meaning. He would say something and you'd cringe, but then with time to write it and an editor you could tell where he was sort of going with it and it was ok. But he seems to have just fallen further recently and just become what a lot of people initially pegged him as. He gets so close sometimes and then just steps off the cliff. Case in point - praising the step forward it is that its completely natural and normal that Erin Phillips would kiss her wife while accepting an award and praising acceptance etc. Then adds something like "and I dare say a few guys wouldn't have minded it either" :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Robbo was really good on the Adam Goodes stuff. The voice of reason, even.

He is the human chaos ball

• Locked thread