Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Section 9 posted:

This seems like the place this belongs, but if not I apologize for subjecting you to this absolute violence.

i mean, the thread is called “loving CABLES ARGHH!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

I think you need to :yotj:

I just did but I think you're right!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pissing me off: it took 21 (calendar) days to get an incoming webhook in teams approved

Job is mostly good, but occasionally the bureaucracy rears its ugly head and destroys all productivity.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

probably pissing some people off:
https://twitter.com/DickHelicopter/status/1418257738128248833

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

What convenience

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is delightful

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Truly, capitalism is the best system possible.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Honestly, wouldn't it be trivial to add a filter to whatever their reverse proxy is (nginx mostly likely everywhere) or CDN and rewrite all urls with Vid.me to black hole them?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Honestly, wouldn't it be trivial to add a filter to whatever their reverse proxy is (nginx mostly likely everywhere) or CDN and rewrite all urls with Vid.me to black hole them?

Then they'd miss out on the free advertising.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why does everyone jerk themselves off over Microsoft 365? At least on the admin side it's the biggest pile of poo poo I have seen in my life.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The pile of poo poo is only so big because it has so much stuff in it.

The M365 ecosystem is massive and I don’t know of another single platform that will get you all of the same services under one integrated product. For better or worse.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Because it's good, Bob.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Why does everyone jerk themselves off over Microsoft 365? At least on the admin side it's the biggest pile of poo poo I have seen in my life.

As compared to what? Exchange on prem?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

turn on your monitor

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Internet Explorer posted:

Because it's good, Bob.

Correction: Because it's better than all the other alternatives.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
What are you trying to accomplish that makes it feel like a pile of poo poo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

klosterdev posted:

What are you trying to accomplish that makes it feel like a pile of poo poo

Just being able to log into it or switch accounts without having to close browsers and clear cookies and do incognito windows. Super loving frustrating.

You can add a group in like 4 different places and only modify certain attributes in certain places. Oh you added the group somewhere else? You have to delete it and do it in Exchange if you want to to be a certain distribution group.

It's possibly the most unintuitive bucket of poo poo I've seen.

As a bonus one of our companies is GCC High so like 25% of the features are missing. Half the time it's not even documented.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
THESE MOTHERFUCKERS USE A POWEREDGE 2950 RUNNING UNPATCHED FREENAS AS THEIR BACKUP REPOSITORY

THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL, MULTI MILLION DOLLAR COMPANY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Just being able to log into it or switch accounts without having to close browsers and clear cookies and do incognito windows. Super loving frustrating.

MS isn’t the only website that struggles with multiple accounts, I’d recommend setting up separate browser profiles for your different accounts and switch between them as needed.

quote:

You can add a group in like 4 different places and only modify certain attributes in certain places. Oh you added the group somewhere else? You have to delete it and do it in Exchange if you want to to be a certain distribution group.

It's possibly the most unintuitive bucket of poo poo I've seen.

There’s like 4 or 5 different types of groups that have different purposes, you should probably learn what they are all for.

quote:

As a bonus one of our companies is GCC High so like 25% of the features are missing. Half the time it's not even documented.

lol gcc high, good luck

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

THESE MOTHERFUCKERS USE A POWEREDGE 2950 RUNNING UNPATCHED FREENAS AS THEIR BACKUP REPOSITORY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:munch:

This can only get better :sun:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

Correction: Because it's better than all the other alternatives.

This is true. Sorry for my misstep.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

As compared to what? Exchange on prem?

This is the answer. Everything else is significantly worse.

I couldn't imagine being one of those 100k+ companies running on loving Google Workspace

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

This is the answer. Everything else is significantly worse.

I couldn't imagine being one of those 100k+ companies running on loving Google Workspace

I also chuckled at this. Googles admin portals are awful.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Their support and documentation is also dog-poo poo terrible. Simple questions like "if I use an external IdP to authenticate my Google users, can they still use the 'sign in with Google' features on websites" get responded to by saying they can't support me using a third-party IdP.

Google Drive is significantly better than OneDrive but I would never consider migrating email from Exchange Online to Google.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

What you're just described is a basic concept. If you're in a hybrid environment, Exchange is the authoritative source for a lot of things. If you weren't hybrid and didn't have on-prem Exchange, you wouldn't be running into this. Now, gently caress Microsoft for dragging their feet in giving people the ability to easily move off hybrid, but what you're describing is some 101 poo poo.

If you use another cloud identity provider, like Okta, and you have on-prem AD, you have a similar problem. If you want to change group membership or any other on-prem attribute, you change it on-prem and it syncs up. It does not sync down. Stuff like passwords is an exception, if you're fancy, because that provides a much better experience for the end user and the password is something the end-user owns, so it shouldn't be changing (outside of emergencies) without their consent anyways, unlike other attributes.

In regards to M365, there are all sorts of modern things you can do in the cloud if you're only working within the cloud. Like for example, creating an Azure AD / M365 group and putting users into it. This does not need to be done on-prem first, because the group does not exist on-prem at all. It only lives in the context of Azure AD / M365.

Again, this is basic unidirectional sync stuff. It's been around in IT for a long time. Bidirectional sync is not always easy or preferable.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 23, 2021

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Wibla posted:

:munch:

This can only get better :sun:

I could write a book on just how much of a garbage fire this infrastructure is, and yet as I keep pulling back the layers I keep being surprised at how much worse it gets.

The worst part about it is I was hired under the pretense that I would be fixing these problems, but now that I'm here I'm being turned down on requests to re-architect or re-engineer these issues. Some of it is because of budget, which is fine I understand enterprise gear is expensive and doing things properly costs even more. But the real kicker is they don't seem interested in actually improving anything. There are a bunch of little things, misconfigurations here and there that could be fixed or improved to make our day-to-day processes more efficient or at least less of a pain in the rear end and I've been turned down on those requests. Even when it wouldn't cost anything or there is a well known and trusted FOSS solution. They're more interested in firefighting, than actually fixing the thing that caused the fire in the first place.

I've not been here very long and tbh I don't think I'm going to stay much longer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

As a FreeNAS/TrueNAS guy: What the gently caress. Its so easy to automate patching of FreeNAS systems, why the gently caress wouldn't you patch...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

I could write a book on just how much of a garbage fire this infrastructure is, and yet as I keep pulling back the layers I keep being surprised at how much worse it gets.

The worst part about it is I was hired under the pretense that I would be fixing these problems, but now that I'm here I'm being turned down on requests to re-architect or re-engineer these issues. Some of it is because of budget, which is fine I understand enterprise gear is expensive and doing things properly costs even more. But the real kicker is they don't seem interested in actually improving anything. There are a bunch of little things, misconfigurations here and there that could be fixed or improved to make our day-to-day processes more efficient or at least less of a pain in the rear end and I've been turned down on those requests. Even when it wouldn't cost anything or there is a well known and trusted FOSS solution. They're more interested in firefighting, than actually fixing the thing that caused the fire in the first place.

I've not been here very long and tbh I don't think I'm going to stay much longer.

are you me? are we the same person?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Both the on call peeps are on holiday, and there isn't a process for someone else to be on call.

Work ended two hours ago.

The bosses boss just accidentally deleted an important service account from AD

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh well

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Time to let the world burn so processes get unfucked.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

MustardFacial posted:

Heh, that sounds like the kind of garbage I'd discover where I work.

...Do we work together?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Lum posted:

Both the on call peeps are on holiday, and there isn't a process for someone else to be on call.

Work ended two hours ago.

The bosses boss just accidentally deleted an important service account from AD

Let me guess, AD recycle bin isn’t enabled?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

As a FreeNAS/TrueNAS guy: What the gently caress. Its so easy to automate patching of FreeNAS systems, why the gently caress wouldn't you patch...

These are the same people that didn't update their version control system for 15 years and were then surprised that it broke everything when they finally did update it.

Internet Explorer posted:

are you me? are we the same person?
I hope not, for your sake.

Queadlunn posted:

Heh, that sounds like the kind of garbage I'd discover where I work.

...Do we work together?

Again, I hope not for your sake.

[edit]
Holy gently caress this place.
Someone's laptop broke and desktop support is unable to login to it anymore and it won't power up again. They want me to ship them a spare one from the office here, so I'm like "sure, what's you fedex account number?" and they're like "oh well can't you just pay for it and then expense it back?"

No, I can't loving do that. I'm not dropping a couple hundred dollars to ship a laptop to another country for the business.

I'm looking for a new job. gently caress this.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 23, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

I'm looking for a new job. gently caress this.

:cheers:

Seems like an attitude of being extremely mediocre is embedded within the organisation and it's going to be close to impossible to overcome.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is there a name for the different RJ45 based RS232 protocol pinouts? I've found 3 or so popular ones,

1) Cisco console , 6 = TX, 3 = RX

2) Vanilla RJ-45 to DB-9 Serial Cable, 4 = TX, 5 = RX.

3) Some weird printer thing, 1 = TX, 2 = RX

4) Touch input things, 1 = TX, 3 = RX

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 23, 2021

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MrMoo posted:

Is there a name for the different RJ45 based RS232 protocol pinouts? I've found 3 or so popular ones,

i don't remember what the APC one was, but i do remember that you're gonna have a bad time if you use a normal pinout

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

I don't disagree with you necessarily - It is labyrinthine

out of curiosity, tools have you used in there

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

I work with multiple 365 environments and a G Suite environment on a daily basis and I would rather have to hunt through 365 admin for a setting that’s in a nonsensical place than do loving anything in google admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrMoo posted:

oh Jesus, it's been a moment

I don't think there is anything like recognized spec implementations that will save you from having to use whatever shipped with the equipment, digging for a manual, and/or calling support