Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

My wife's on her fourth one so far...

Her fourth Pixel 3?

I was thinking of getting one when the 4 comes out - assuming the 3's price drops - but :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah just get the ball rolling on a replacement ASAP because in all likelihood the issue will just get worse and worse and you'll have a drat strobe light in your room. Unless by some miracle they actually figure out a way you can fix it.

Then get ready to put the replacement through its paces to make sure it's not another busted phone. My wife's on her fourth one so far...

My friend is on Verizon and was looking at the Pixel and I had to advise her to get insurance that would have same day swapping if possible :/ kind of rough if you don't want Samsung or Apple on Verizon.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm on my 3rd P3XL. #blessed

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Note that if you accept Verizon's default "insurance" option, it comes packaged with access to some pointless extra tech support feature that I bet even they don't ever use. "Total Mobile Protection". Gives you access to their "Tech Coach" feature, oh wow, great. "Total Equipment Coverage" is literally the same exact thing minus that feature, for several dollars less per month. You have to go on their website and change it afterward.

Sab669 posted:

Her fourth Pixel 3?

Yes.

I got mine at the exact same time she got hers and have had no issues. Luck of the draw, it seems.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Note that if you accept Verizon's default "insurance" option, it comes packaged with access to some pointless extra tech support feature that I bet even they don't ever use. "Total Mobile Protection". Gives you access to their "Tech Coach" feature, oh wow, great. "Total Equipment Coverage" is literally the same exact thing minus that feature, for several dollars less per month. You have to go on their website and change it afterward.

Yes.

I got mine at the exact same time she got hers and have had no issues. Luck of the draw, it seems.

I'm on my 1st Pixel 2 XL but 4th Pixel 2 phone overall. The smaller Pixel 2 was so bad with quality control in the refurbished RMAs Google kept sending, I got a refund and bought a used P2XL off someone on Reddit when the Pixel 3s launched. Other than a small scratch on the bottom of the screen, it's perfectly fine.

To be honest, Google's RMA process is so bad, it makes me want to wait as long as I can before buying a new Pixel just to make SURE the show-stopping issues are fixed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm on my 1st Pixel 2 XL but 4th Pixel 2 phone overall. The smaller Pixel 2 was so bad with quality control in the refurbished RMAs Google kept sending, I got a refund and bought a used P2XL off someone on Reddit when the Pixel 3s launched. Other than a small scratch on the bottom of the screen, it's perfectly fine.

To be honest, Google's RMA process is so bad, it makes me want to wait as long as I can before buying a new Pixel just to make SURE the show-stopping issues are fixed.

Wait, you got Google to give you a refund instead of continuing to RMA? Out of the return period?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Asking for recommendations for a phone replacement for my mom. She is still using my old rear end Nokia Lumia 925 (yes I know) and she just uses it for phone calls and whatsapp a bit. Microsoft is finally shutting down WP by the end of the year so while I have time, I'm looking for a replacement for her. Mind that we're in Spain so the market is kinda wide here when it comes to Nokia and chinese brands like Xiaomi. I was thinking on a Nokia 2.2 for her as it is cheap but enough for her or maybe a Xiaomi Mi A2 (or Mi A2 Lite) as both are Android One and get frequent security patches (unlike her 925 :haw:).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Mi A3 will be announced on the 17th, just get that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still on my first 3XL, no issues so far.

Of course now that I've said that I'm sure it'll probably explode or something :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I switched from a Mi A2 Lite back in May and while it was a great phone, it was 3 months behind on security updates. I'd hope it's gotten some since then.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

cage-free egghead posted:

I switched from a Mi A2 Lite back in May and while it was a great phone, it was 3 months behind on security updates. I'd hope it's gotten some since then.

Strange as my Mi A1 is on the June update. It feels like it has always got that month's update in the same month.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

asecondduck posted:

I'm still on my first 3XL, no issues so far.
People on their nth Pixel are so because GOOG's RMA process involves sending you the nearest thing shaped like a phone and hoping you go away.
It doesn't mean a large percentage of them are garbage, they just send out a large percentage of garbage phones for an RMA.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I haven't tried Q, curious what you all think about this - Google's awful gestures are ruining Android Q

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I haven't tried Beta 5 yet since Beta 4 has been running dang good for me, but considering I gave it a solid Month or so with the Gestures and had to go back is slightly telling since I took to the half gesture with back button setup on Pie and stuck with it immediately. The new Gestures just cause way to many accidental actions mixed with having to be pretty deliberate with your movements to get the phone to do what you want which is sometimes a big hassle when its in a car mount or other place that isn't just in your hands.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If "swipe up to unlock" has taught me anything it's that I honestly hate gesture input. I fail to unlock my phone like 40% of the time because I don't drag slightly high enough.

quote:

The gestures are designed to be tightly integrated with Google's own Pixel launcher, and the second you switch to something like Action, Nova, Evie Launcher, or anything else, you'll be reverted back to the old three-button navigation with no option of turning gestures on unless you go back to using the Pixel Launcher.

FINE BY ME. I prefer Nova over the stock on my Pixel 2 every day of the week.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Seems like they should just finally have the back button go the way of the menu button. The back button never had predictable behavior anyway.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CLAM DOWN posted:

I haven't tried Q, curious what you all think about this - Google's awful gestures are ruining Android Q

Sounds about right.

Hopefully they can be disabled and completely ignored.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Grrr, when I was on Android Pie I could only record audio from my end, after trying to upgrade to Android Q now all dozen recording apps just record silence. There were some android dev forum posts suggesting that they were opening up the recording APIs in Q but U think they might have gone the opposite way and locked them all down completely.

Allegedly, these recording apps can work if I root the phone, but I can't find any reliable steps to root a 2XL without having to wipe the whole phone first.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
For some reason, the one app I've found that actually records anything only does so for cellular network calls, it won't work if Wi-Fi Calling is turned on, and I haven't found out how to turn off WiFi Calling other than actually disconnecting from the wifi network.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You have got to be making GBS threads me... the first day without phone recording, and the Verizon rep on the line just told me "I'm sorry you feel that way, I don't like to see anyone getting jewed".

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It's illegal in many states to record phone calls without informing the other party ahead of time and I'm pretty sure an app developer couldn't get away with saying "not my fault if the user doesn't follow the law."

If you use Google Voice or Project Fi there is an experimental option to allow recording and there will be an automated message to alert the other party to the recording. I think it's only outgoing calls though and it has to be activated when you make the call, but I've never used it so I'm not sure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zero VGS posted:

You have got to be making GBS threads me... the first day without phone recording, and the Verizon rep on the line just told me "I'm sorry you feel that way, I don't like to see anyone getting jewed".

They're usually recording those conversations, should be pretty easy to escalate it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CLAM DOWN posted:

How will this impact manufacturers who've implemented their own gestures like Samsung and OnePlus? Is every Android phone being moved to Google's gestures?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Humerus posted:

It's illegal in many states to record phone calls without informing the other party ahead of time and I'm pretty sure an app developer couldn't get away with saying "not my fault if the user doesn't follow the law."

If you use Google Voice or Project Fi there is an experimental option to allow recording and there will be an automated message to alert the other party to the recording. I think it's only outgoing calls though and it has to be activated when you make the call, but I've never used it so I'm not sure.

Any time you call a business and they say THEY are recording the call for quality assurance purposes, that gives you permission to record the call as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

They're usually recording those conversations, should be pretty easy to escalate it.

Yeah I asked her to escalate it and naturally she hung up on me because you could tell by her tone she knew she was hosed. She sounded exactly like Paula Deen too. She got lucky because she hung up on me at like 9:03 so all the phones were shut down when I called back immediately.

That's a perfect example of something I wished I still had recording for, when they give you "this call will be recorded" you can always reciprocate legally. She was a dick to me before her slip up and it's Verizon so I'd have loved to slap that excerpt up on Twitter instead of having them go digging for it tomorrow.

Annath posted:

Any time you call a business and they say THEY are recording the call for quality assurance purposes, that gives you permission to record the call as well.

Yeah you beat me to it. Though I think that person was originally trying to explain to me why Google may be dicking with the recording API's. To protect us from legal ramifications... or more likely to protect all the poor racist corporations.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 16, 2019

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Google are considering a call recording API, but the only thing we know for sure is it won't be shipping with Q. Maybe R.

There are still feature phones that'll record cellular calls though, if it's important enough for you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I asked her to escalate it and naturally she hung up on me because you could tell by her tone she knew she was hosed. She sounded exactly like Paula Deen too. She got lucky because she hung up on me at like 9:03 so all the phones were shut down when I called back immediately.

They will straight up fire someone for dumping a call, and definitely recorded her say it. Sadly, the casual racism will probably not be noticed.

If you feel like pursuing it, call the same place and ask to leave customer feedback; it'll be handled behind closed doors so you won't hear about the outcome, but they'll just be replaced by someone else willing to get 13 an hour to handle people already pissed off at them.

Source: know people who work at call center.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Wait, you got Google to give you a refund instead of continuing to RMA? Out of the return period?

I did.

After the first RMA, I had bad speaker issues.

When I received the second RMA, it also had the same issue after a few weeks.

Then the third RMA happened. That device had a screw lose in the case. They told me to keep it and return the old one. I told them I refuse to keep a device that's worse than the one I'm returning.

After an hour on the phone and 9 CS reps, they just decided to give me a refund even though I said I'd rather have a new device than a refurbished one. They insisted the RMA process never gives new devices and gave me a refund instead well out of the return period.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zero VGS posted:

What the actual gently caress?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

So I actually like the gesture navigation in Q and haven't had a ton of issues with the slide-out menus--mostly because I had already trained myself to use the button for menus instead, thanks to using FluidNG for gesture-based navigation in Pie already.

I agree with the article that, in its current state, swiping from the left for back isn't well implimented, especially for new users. The top-of-my-head "solution" is to tell developers to sunset the hamburger menus, and then ship the gestures as default in R. Another solution would be to make the back gesture a swipe up from the bottom instead, but I do really, really like the convenience of swiping anywhere from the side for the back button.

Hopefully the gestures are still available as an option, at least, for the final Q release, because I'm gonna want to continue using them. I'd rather not have to go back to FluidNG again.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I'll take "Things you usually only see on TV or racist internet memes that and you're so aghast to see them happen in real life" for 400 Alex :psyduck:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For almost 10 years of smartphone usage my crux has always been typing. Its always been swype or some iteration of it. So its pretty cool to be in the middle of fumbling through a sentence and having the keyboard disappear because the swipe was interpreted as a back gesture from the side of the screen. Also cool is when I swipe up the app drawer, theres no way to make it go away. Have to pick an app and go back from there.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

codo27 posted:

For almost 10 years of smartphone usage my crux has always been typing. Its always been swype or some iteration of it. So its pretty cool to be in the middle of fumbling through a sentence and having the keyboard disappear because the swipe was interpreted as a back gesture from the side of the screen. Also cool is when I swipe up the app drawer, theres no way to make it go away. Have to pick an app and go back from there.

My hands are only slightly larger than normal and phone typing has always been trash, not looking forward to a new, lovely, gesture system thats as extremely unintuitive as Apple's.

Slow vs Fast drag and Multi-finger swipes are absolute trash concepts.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

My hands are only slightly larger than normal and phone typing has always been trash, not looking forward to a new, lovely, gesture system thats as extremely unintuitive as Apple's.

Slow vs Fast drag and Multi-finger swipes are absolute trash concepts.

Cant you get something like smart keyboard and just increase the size?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I've got work folders on my phone internal storage - /Documents, /Downloads, /Autodesk, whatever. I'd like to sync to my desktop whenever I walk into intranet wifi range. Cloud is a plus but not necessary. Automatic sync is also a plus but not necessary. Keeping last date modified is necessary, it's the only way I keep my sanity.

It looks like all the cloud storage apps instead want to wrangle documents for me, which I don't want. Also they're all photo-oriented, and photos have EXIF timestamps and I need the last date modified instead.

Am I doomed to have to wrangle some ridiculous Tasker nonsense? Please tell me that the world has moved beyond that since, I don't know, 2015 or something.

e: I have Pie so the terrible timestamp bug is in the past

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 16, 2019

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

codo27 posted:

BlackBerry Key2, just saying...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've never used/heard of it but a quick search for "android directory sync" gave me this article that's 2 years old; https://www.howtogeek.com/247333/how-to-sync-files-between-android-and-your-pc-with-foldersync/

quote:

The biggest issues with these services are limited control options, and the fact that they’re only for photos. Users are able to select a few options—like what’s synced, for example—but not arguably more important features, like exactly where photos are stored. FolderSync is an Android app that opens that door completely, with granular control of what’s synced, where it goes, frequency, and many other factors.

Sounds like exactly what you want? Although I don't know how this will handle your Date Modified requirement.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
The FAQ at least mentions timestamps, which is convincing enough to try it: https://www.tacit.dk/foldersync/faq/

Thanks. I was skipping over it as it didn't seem to review too well.

Anybody use SyncThing before? How is it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean, I haven't used it but it's freemium so at least worth a shot, right? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Playing with SyncThing and FolderSync now.

SyncThing feels like the tank and FolderSync the station wagon, in that vague car analogy way... feels like SyncThing will be the better investment over time. Not least of which being that FolderSync seems to be dead update-wise.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 16, 2019