Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I am here for an AU where Vanessa and Garcia team up and take out Grado by themselves

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Onmi posted:

Funnily enough, the best buff Eirika could receive... is swapping weapon types with Ephraim, His stats let him handle swords perfectly well, while Lance's give her the buff she needs to her damage output until her stats start catching up.

I think this is pretty much on point. (Or you could make it even more ridiculous and go with the FE Girls version, which basically combined them into one unit that used swords and lances...) For whatever reason, Fire Emblem really seems to like pairing the lowest-Might weapons (swords, light magic) with low-strength characters (whether growth or cap, though light magic users have tended to fare a bit better historically), and when you combine these traits you get really underwhelming damage.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

the primary issue I see is the same way the Mercenary is just a dominant class, Anything X can do, Mercenary can ALSO do, Myrmidon is fast, Mercenary is ALSO fast and it has strength and con.

Well, that's also something I'd like to do something about. I'm pretty sure I've made mercs a bit weaker than they used to be, and myrms generally better. Of course, the issue is balancing it properly...

quote:

Funnily enough, the best buff Eirika could receive... is swapping weapon types with Ephraim, His stats let him handle swords perfectly well, while Lance's give her the buff she needs to her damage output until her stats start catching up.

Hmmmm...

or maybe axes goddammit I've done it once I can do it again

(Another thing I was thinking about was giving myrms 6 mov, and Eirika might also be a good candidate for that.)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I am here for an AU where Vanessa and Seth team up and take out Grado by themselves

You're in the wrong thread, comrade, we only do Garcia solo runs here.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

vilkacis posted:

Or! Or we could bench him and make Amelia a cavalier! Guys! Amelia! As a cavalier! Guys??????

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This has my vote. Forget about stats, you should always go Cavalier Amelia for that unique sprite.
I've actually started to favor going Super Recruit/Lancemaster Amelia. I've used enough Cavaliers and Knights to last a life-time, but a unit that's basically a lance-using Swordmaster is a refreshing change of pace, especially given how hilarious her critical animation is.

Also we'd be able to see Super Recruit at full power instead of the stupid cap-nerfed version the localizes chose to give us. You already have to play though the game 3 times to get the super recruits, why the hell would you nerf them?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think I've actually done anything to the super recruit classes, and I'm not entirely sure how to enable them without needing a save, but it could certainly be an option. Though I'm still a little biased in the favour of cavalier, because who doesn't want a horse-buddy?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I don't. I don't want a horse buddy.

I'm the kind of FE player who goes as horse-lite as possible.

Fight me.

:colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Weeble posted:

I don't. I don't want a horse buddy.

I'm the kind of FE player who goes as horse-lite as possible.

Fight me.

:colbert:

This person gets it.

It’s just that cavs are the main horse unit and they’re very balanced stat wise by nature but I’ve always preferred the wiz bang of more min maxed for damage classes.

With the exception of Titania and the Sue in my current fe6 playthrough, horses in my fe tend to the “they’re fine” area of the unit brokenness scale.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

vilkacis posted:

I don't think I've actually done anything to the super recruit classes, and I'm not entirely sure how to enable them without needing a save, but it could certainly be an option. Though I'm still a little biased in the favour of cavalier, because who doesn't want a horse-buddy?

Cool people who get around on dragon buddies. Especially after they decided lances were for losers and started with axes.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

vilkacis posted:

Hmm. Does anything else in this game use the female cavalier class? Not that I'm suggesting you do this, but if there isn't anything, I'd guess it should be possible to just swap Cavalier (F) and Paladin (F) to the Super Recruit classes... actually, thinking aloud here, we wouldn't even need to do that, would we? It'd be just as simple to edit the promotion pointers for Recruit and swap Recruit (1) or whatever it's called with one of the existing options. Changing Recruit's promotion options shouldn't affect anything else since Amelia's the only one in the game...

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This has my vote. Forget about stats, you should always go Cavalier Amelia for that unique sprite.

I agree, but hey! Maybe Franz sticks around a bit and these two form a dynamic duo?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

vilkacis posted:

Open FE8 in a hex editor (or you can do it with EA if you want it's real simple)

FE8 - CCE68 - write C0 46 there to not require both routes to be complete to unlock super trainee promotions

Say thank you to Tequila

EA Method: Make a text file, write

ORG $CCE68
BYTE $C0 $46

save, use Event assembler to assemble the rom with the text file. That's it

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 26, 2018

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Amelia is the best super-trainee because LANCE CRIT BONUS and also the animations are too adorable to make go away.

Seriously what kind of criminal steals her attack animations?

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!

Shei-kun posted:

Amelia is the best super-trainee because LANCE CRIT BONUS and also the animations are too adorable to make go away.

Seriously what kind of criminal steals her attack animations?

Also the fact that, as a knight and ESPECIALLY as a general, she can wear an armor roughly 5 times her size and 200 times her weight. That commands respect.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

vilkacis posted:

Or! Or we could bench him and make Amelia a cavalier! Guys! Amelia! As a cavalier! Guys??????

I always preferred Cav Amelia because I'm pretty certain she's the only female GBA cav and that's cool to me.

Plus her sprite gets a super cute ponytail. Unique hair options take massive priority in unit distribution optics.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

I always preferred Cav Amelia because I'm pretty certain she's the only female GBA cav and that's cool to me.

Plus her sprite gets a super cute ponytail. Unique hair options take massive priority in unit distribution optics.

I prefer Cavalier Amelia for the same reason I prefer Fighter Ross: because I stubbornly refuse to go along with what most other people like.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like to make her a Great Knight. :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

Say thank you to Tequila

Thanks Obama Tequila.

marshmallow creep posted:

I like to make her a Great Knight. :colbert:

Duessel A support GK Amelia is basically the highest degree of :3: you'll ever be able to wring out of Sacred Stones and it is Good.

:colbert::hf::colbert:

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!
Thing is, there is a metric ton of mounted units in this game, and only two potential knights, and let's be honest...Gilliam usually isn't up to the task, barring some amazing levels early on.

But it's clear Cav Amelia has the most goons behind her, so I guess seeing her copter-crit people will be a new and fun experience for me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like General Amelia the most because she's teeny so it's basically just putting her in a mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

11. A Trap

We're finally here! I'm going to gently caress something up on this map! See if you can guess what it is. Win fabulous prices! No, wait, that's a lie.

Anyway.

Unlike the last chapter, we don't get any world map intro or opportunity to set up before the map.

We're continuing on right from where we left off.

Prince Ephraim is being kept in a cell back here.

Very well, let's go.

...Sir Orson. How long ago were you taken prisoner?

Some two weeks past. Prince Ephraim and I were forced to surrender. We've been held captive here in this dungeon since that black day.

Did you gain any news from your captors during that time?

Unfortunately, no. Not a word... Our daily meal was brought to us by servants from the neighboring village. They were instructed not to speak to us, and we heard nothing of the war.
Tell me, Seth. How fares Renais?

...Renais has fallen. King Fado... The king is dead.

Dead... My King...
My apologies, Princess Eirika. I have served you poorly....

Have you overheard any talk, at least, while captive? The Grado army pursues me in hopes of acquiring my bracelet. My brother wears this bracelet's twin, and he is in danger, too.

Bracelet? Ah, I remember... Grado is after those? If that's the case, Princess... Perhaps you should entrust the bracelets to someone else.

...Why do you say so?

Give them to me or Seth. Let someone you trust guard them. For your own safety, Your Highness, please. What say you? We must not allow the Sacred Stone of Renais to be taken.

Sir Orson. I am sorry for this, but please give me your weapons.

What are you talking about, Seth? Can't you see I'm unarmed? Do you think they allow prisoners weapons? What kind of injury have you taken that you suggest such foolishness?

If I am mistaken, then I will give you all due apologies. However, there are questions I have that I cannot answer. Too many questions.
Why did no enemy reinforcements come from the castle during our battle outside?
Why would you escape your cell and yet leave Prince Ephraim in chains?

Seth, there is some misunderstanding here. I...

Sir Orson, why do you suggest a tie between the bracelets and the Sacred Stone? I made no mention of such a thing.

And why...

You do not gently caress with the classics.

...Very well. You haven't changed a bit, Seth. Nor you, Princess. You simply will not be deceived.

Orson. I don't want to believe this. Why did you betray Renais?

My fondest with will be granted... To spend the rest of my days in the embrace of my loving wife once more...

What are you saying?

Douchebag o'clock!

I'll take over now. You may return to your beloved wife.

They painted him red! The nerve of these people.

And off he goes.

We've never met. I am Tirado. Loyal and talented aide to Valter, general of the Grado army.

You're that monster's–

And you are General Seth of Renais, yes? I thought to catch a little bird in my net, and it seems instead I've snared a hawk.

Where is my brother?!

Ah, yes. Your brother. He's not here. The coward fled Lord Valter's pursuit... Somehow, he escaped the castle. And escaping under these conditions... Tch! Such stubbornness is quite annoying.
It was my cunning that led us to turn this unfortunate blunder to our advantage. I spread the rumors myself. I led the villagers to believe he was our prisoner. What better trap with which to catch his sweet, devoted sister?

My brother escaped?

Let's end this, shall we?
First, to destroy the bridge and cut off your only avenue of escape...

Tirado ends his tirade and heads up after Orson,

...and the bridge does indeed collapse. I wonder how they did that.

Generics out the woodwork!

There's no bridge! We must fight, even if we're outnumbered! We've not been ensnared yet!

Blast!

Oh, Brother... Our reunion may be deferred longer than I had hoped...

The time for words is over. Now, it is time for slaugher!

But first, to facilitate said slaughter, I'll have Eirika eat this delicious jelly doughnut of powerfulness.

That's how you use stat boosters, you know. All of them. Including the robe.

Especially the robe.

Anyway, so about that map. I ended up going with this party, because I don't want to bench Artur just yet and Franz... despite me hyping him up, isn't anything terribly special and he's twice Artur's level.

So let's smite some fools.

So help me gently caress Colm-

Colm! Why!!

You are so benched for assassin Joshua Marisa!

...Though, if having a terrible Colm means I can have a Great Garcia, I won't complain!

Look at this! Look! At! Thisss!

Welll maybe I should have done this first because while she does double and oneround this guy, she has to use the steel lance and land two 79s, which is a little shaky and I had fully intended to reset if it didn't work but

as you can see, it's fine. Fine! (If you're wondering about Gil, he swapped Vanessa to the iron lance so the myrm won't double her.)

Both the enemies in there will attack Vanessa on their turn, but they have swords so they're not terribly threatening. And that's about all that happens on this enemy phase.

On our second turn, these assholes just show up like they own the place!

Prince Ephraim, I hear sounds from the east corridor. Sounds like more fighting.

Do you think it could be General Seth and Princess Eirika? We could use their help in escaping.

Pfff, look at this scrub, thinking we're using Seth. Like that'd ever happen.

We have to goals here, men: assist Eirika and vanquish the enemy.
Kyle. Forde. Are you ready?

Yes, Your Highness.

As always.

Lord Ephraim, we should join forces with Princess Eirika first. We should be able to reach them by way of the eastern corridor.

Come now, Kyle. That seems like a lot of trouble when we could just crush Grado between us.

I would actually totally be down for this but we're on hard and you kinda suck so I might have to do something else this time :ssh:

"A lot of trouble"? Forde, you're as insolent as you are careless! We can help each other in this fight!

Fine, fine. I see where you stand. Calm down, before you boil over.
Prince Ephraim will decide. How shall we proceed, Your Highness?

We await your command, Prince Ephraim.

Both of you, follow me!

And then we get Ephraim, who is loving Awesome, and also two cavaliers no one ever uses for obvious reasons.

What I'd normally do here is just go all in on north with the first group and have Ephraim's group take on the western path. I'm not feeling entirely confident about their ability to do so this time, however, so I'm going to send people west from the start.

(Also, the Knight Chamber up top is one hell of a choke point and there's really not much you can do with the entire party crammed in outside, waiting for their turn.

So, we'll start to move in on these guys. Of course, we don't want Vanessa in range of that archer, no matter how good she's turning out.

Eirika rapiers the armour and takes his door key which I'll never end up using. Sorry, it's a condition.

Hey, look, a shaman! He looks like monk bait.

And this will lure the archer to Ephraim's side so Vanessa won't get sniped.

Kyle can take it.

...okay maybe he's not very good monk bait after all. Goddamn Artur how? You have WTA!

Meanwhile, Lute has better luck.

One archer down!

Four stats up! Ephraim, motherfuckers!

This group is horribly understocked. Two heals left... and I need one of them right now.

Neimi is better at this.

Speed!

Now this room.

I gave this one guy a javelin, just to be a dick.

But that also means Artur can draw him out harmlessly.

(Well, I mean he'll take 90% his health if that javelin connects, but... mostly harmlessly. You know.)

Not liking this, but I can let her draw him next turn.

See, now it's completely fi

ne.

Well, as much as this hurts, this is still a level 7 peg knight with 10 strength.

Artur takes 15 points of damage.

And goes like "no, really, you can just use Lute, it's fine, I like the bench".

I could let him finish the knight but he doesn't deserve it.

Get bent!

Meanwhile,

it turns out Lute is superior after all.

We want to get these assholes moving before something terrible happens.

What the gently caress is "speed"? Kyle has never heard of it.

So here's the "something terrible".

I gave the lead cavalier a couple extra levels so as to not be quite as bad as he used to be.

Uh, and maybe a tiny little lance reaver so maybe Ephraim can't just solo the entire group like he used to.

Let's clean up so we can prepare for their arrival.

1% crit...!

Forde doesn't get crit.

I have them in one place, so let's have a chat!

Brother!? Is it really–
You're alive! You're alive!

Well, of course I am.
We've been hiding in the forest, striking sporadically... We almost got ourselves in serious hot water this time, when I turned around and found you. Looks like our timing was impeccable.

Between the both of us, we may have the numbers to flee this place...
It's so good to see you unharmed. There were rumors of your capture, and I came here to rescue you...

And rescue me you have. Come on, Eirika! The enemy awaits.

All right!

The family that slays together, stays together...?

So the lance reaver guy couldn't lance reave anyone and had to go for his javelin and I swear I traded Kyle the javelin so he could retaliate why am I so bad

Anyway, we should be good to delete them now.

Look, something Ephraim doesn't obliterate in one shot with effective damage!

I thought maybe I'd conserve Reginleif uses...

...but that plan didn't work out.

So I did this instead.

Dang it, game!

Well, either way, Ephraim does oneshot this guy. He even gets B lances for his troubles!

Sweet, sweet vulneraries, how I've missed you!

Forde will draw the merc.

Sadly all he has is the steel lance, so he gets doubled. That's why I had to vulnerary up first.

Natasha patched up Artur's shaman-related injuries for this. It's ok.

This is also ok.

Now this guy.

He has a longbow. I didn't want to make evenlongerbows, so I made these effective against horse units.

Of course, that means I can't use ponies to draw him out.

(I do let them pull the second merc, though. He's no problem.)

Somewhat obnoxiously, this guy covers the same area as the archer...

While the guys on the left figure out some way to get around that, I had Colm open this door.

One knight can reach the pillar.

Artur, redeem yourself!

...that is not what redemption looks like.

I don't know what I was so worried about, I have Garcia on this side! He dodges and doubles the shaman. Bye! He also dodges the longbow guy.

Now you're mine!

Go, Artur!

...I guess that's nice, but it's not goddamn speed, now, is it?

Next, we're in range of two guys with steel lances and 20 attack. If I counter-kill one, they stand a decent chance of murdering someone. I'll draw one with Neimi, and we're 100% safe!

See? 100% safe.

Meanwhile, the sole remaining knght on the left went for Garcia who didn't get strength and speed this time! ...He got everything else instead.

Garcia is so good.

Neimi gets her revenge.

Eirika gets the kill.

. . .

We're doing this, huh? We're really doing it?!

She got b swords as well but I mean

Lute gets to draw the shaman in the treasure room. The others break down the wall. The archer up top I believe used to have a longbow, but now has a steel one. Didn't want to get too mean...

This guy has a short bow as to not gently caress up this entire room. And yes, I have given it 0 crit since last time.

I was going to javelin the archer so someone else could kill him, but he dodged so have a Garcia instead I guess.

Lute can absolutely two-round the shaman, but needs a vulnerary; she takes 9/17 damage from his attack.

Time to handle the last guy.

He goes for Artur.

You're not having a lot of luck with steel lances today, are you?

Lute... finishes the shaman. Yes. That is certainly a finished shaman.

Artur takes care of the knight and actually gets speed maybe there's still hope!

Yoink.

Neimi will draw the archer.

And Garcia takes the mage while the lance brigade get started on the soldiers and knight above the stairs.

. . .

Since we entered the last room, a thunder mage spawns on top of each corridor, and more importantly, a thief at the stairs straight south of the stairs up to the boss.

There he is, the little poo poo!

He's s problem for another round, though. Good job, Neimi, I don't hate this level with a burning passion!

Lute finishes the soldier,

and Garcia oneshots the mage who spawned on the left side.

Of course, he also doubled, just because.

Ephraim has A, luck, and B, range, so he gets the right-side mage.

The thief went left, but I'm hoping a nice slow monk with a vulnerary will persuade him to come over here.

Gotcha!

Do you remember what the title of this chapter was?

Sucker.

Natasha healed Neimi,

Neimi shot the thief,

...and Artur finished it.

"Steal my vulneraries, will you?!"

Last soldier went for Garcia, a mistake he will never make again.

Neimi finishes the last mage.

That leaves only Tirado.

General Grado's aide. He has utter confidence in his own ingenuity.

...shouldn't it be "general Valter"?

Well, either way, he's a loving bastard general on a loving bastard throne, so this will be fun. He has a silver lance, and a short spear in case you want to get clever. But he starts with the former, so you can really get as clever as you like!

Lots of scratches for Natasha to patch up. I basically used all the healing the left group had on them... again.

Garcia can't quite stand up to two hits! Almost, though.

It falls on me to show you my own special brand of power.

For once, he's not entirely bullshitting.

He has some special brand of power! Obnoxious power.

...I'm pretty sure I've never even seen this activate before.

Artur is... not very good here.

But Neimi gets some chip exp,

...and so does Lute.

He hits three 49% on Garcia.

I expect you'll wish you'd dies here on my steel. Lord Valter is... not nearly as merciful as I...

But I keep healing Garcia.

Sweet, juicy boss exp, and a weapon level as well!

Last minute heals,

...and we... seize...?

Have you figured out what part of this I hosed up yet?

I worried you, didn't I, Eirika? And you as well, General?

Not at all. We're happy you're safe. But tell me, Prince, do you know of Orson's treachery against you and all of Renais?

Yes, though I learned of it all too late, after we'd been trapped at Renvall. I still find it difficult to believe that after all his years of service to Renais... I feel morally responsible for his plight.

Ephraim...

What is it, Myrrh?

Something's coming... It's drawing near. Dark... big... and great in number.

I understand. It looks like we should get out of here.

Um, Brother? This child... has indigo hair... Where did...

Uh Eirika... you're not exactly in the... best position to throw shade here...

Ah, that's a long story. For now, we must move. Suffice to say Emperor Vigarde has enlisted some... otherworldly powers. We must warn everyone of the danger.

Wait, this one doesn't have a number on it! I am very confused!

(In case you were wondering, the chests on the left have a silver sword and a master seal (that used to be an elysian whip). It's a little obnoxious leaving them behind for no reason, but I just... forgot those chests existed the moment they disappeared off screen and never went for them. Sucks to be me, I guess!)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 27, 2018