Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If the movie is deemed not profitable enough to make a sequel they should go the Dredd 2012 route and just drop an R rated slice of life movie every few years where each one is her going after a different bounty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

I have to find the manga online or take a picture of my hardcopies but all the doggies in the movie were direct copies of the hounds he has. They went with more a cowboy theme then a russian one during he movie and I feel like its superior. Just feels right.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DrSunshine posted:

You know, I hope this drives a big interest in it in Japan and gets an anime adaptation -- even a long time after the original publication's run, like the way Parasyte did. I would dearly love to see an anime version that sticks to the manga's canon plot all the way through Last Order. They could trim down the big tournament arcs no problem, but it'd be so awesome to see all the hammy lines and over the top action.

I asked my friend if it was getting any traction in Japan and he said he hadn't heard much about it, but I convinced him to go see it. Perhaps he can spread the gospel in the ESL classes he teaches

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
So apparently, Michelle Rodriguez was Alita's commander in the flashbacks? I couldn't recognize her with the bug eyes.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
Kishiro has quietly noted in an interview somewhere that he's wanted someone to do a long-form anime for awhile, but Cameron owns those rights as well so it wasn't possible. Hopefully with this release Cameron will relent and let someone else do it.

davidspackage posted:

So apparently, Michelle Rodriguez was Alita's commander in the flashbacks? I couldn't recognize her with the bug eyes.
Haha, that rules.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

davidspackage posted:

Correct. I noticed her instantly by her voice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mecha posted:

Kishiro has quietly noted in an interview somewhere that he's wanted someone to do a long-form anime for awhile, but Cameron owns those rights as well so it wasn't possible. Hopefully with this release Cameron will relent and let someone else do it.

Oh what the gently caress :stare: So Cameron basically just parked his entire rear end on the Gunnm IP for like 20 years?

e: Like I'm really happy about that movie but that's almost comically awful of him

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Netflix anime series please. I'll take that as consolation if we don't get a sequel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
While the original Gunnm works really well as, say, a movie trilogy, the sequels wouldn't. They're pretty much one big long story.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh what the gently caress :stare: So Cameron basically just parked his entire rear end on the Gunnm IP for like 20 years?

e: Like I'm really happy about that movie but that's almost comically awful of him

Yukito Kishiro sold the rights for Battle Angel to James Cameron in 1998, right after the success of Titanic. The deal included rights to all adaptations — including anime.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

Yukito Kishiro sold the rights for Battle Angel to James Cameron in 1998, right after the success of Titanic. The deal included rights to all adaptations — including anime.

...wow. I'm kind of surprised Kishiro is so happy about the movie, you'd think he'd be a little annoyed by how this panned out overall.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He was reportedly pretty annoyed when Cameron originally filed the numbers off and called it Dark Angel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...wow. I'm kind of surprised Kishiro is so happy about the movie, you'd think he'd be a little annoyed by how this panned out overall.

On the bright side, it'd suck if an anime of it was made in the ultra low budget era that is early to mid 00s anime.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yes. He bought up all the rights because the Gunnm IP was rock bottom cheap during the 2000's

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just don't really get the logic behind... like... buying even the rights that you aren't planning to use. Like, I'm pretty sure Cameron wasn't ever going to make an anime of this, "live-action movie" or "live-action TV series" were the only options on the table and the latter was a desperation move.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just don't really get the logic behind... like... buying even the rights that you aren't planning to use. Like, I'm pretty sure Cameron wasn't ever going to make an anime of this, "live-action movie" or "live-action TV series" were the only options on the table and the latter was a desperation move.

James Cameron really loves the story and the Alita character. He had the money to buy all the rights to the IP, so why not? I would have if I were him too.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Studios buy rights to things all the time if they can do it cheap, just because someone, at some time, may possibly make it into something really great. Also to deny other studios the rights to that property just in case. Bigger names like Stephen King wisened up to it, though, and usually have clauses that say there has to be some progress shown in X amount of time or they lose the rights. Dick Tracy has been in development hell forever because of this and Warren Beatty's legal antics.

Compared to everything else involved with making a movie, licensing rights are ridiculously cheap and very easy to turn into profit unless you're talking, like, Harry Potter rights or something else that already blew up. Common wisdom for beginning directors is to find your poor writer friend and buy their scripts for like $100. :v:

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 18, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

James Cameron really loves the story and the Alita character. He had the money to buy all the rights to the IP, so why not? I would have if I were him too.

I mean, I don't think either of us would have just parked our asses on it until the one thing we wanted to do came through, though. Like, gently caress, if I had the entire breadth of adaptation rights for Gunnm I'd be trying to milk it as hard as possible, especially if I was trying to get a live-action movie off the ground.

Does this mean Cameron is probably why we never got Martian Memory in English?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The terminator and aliens sequels and extended universes have probably driven Cameron to be overly cautious with the rights to anything he plans on touching. If he really loves it that much he might also have some vague notion of protecting it from the rush job cheapo anime production that is most common nowadays and making sure it is given to the right studio, while actually just losing track of it amongst all his other obsessions.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
James Cameron, deep in the Mariana Trench: Oh, that's where I left this thing

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The sequel should be a two hour flashback of baby gear solid.

Putting future films aside, I hope Battle Angel getting made clears the way for a full anime adaptation of the mangas. Alita might even get the budget she deserves.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Tekne posted:

The sequel should be a two hour flashback of baby gear solid.

Putting future films aside, I hope Battle Angel getting made clears the way for a full anime adaptation of the mangas. Alita might even get the budget she deserves.

If anyone is wondering that is from the Jan 2019 chapter of Battle Angel, its still ongoing and is right now in a Alita baby prequel arc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I don't think either of us would have just parked our asses on it until the one thing we wanted to do came through, though. Like, gently caress, if I had the entire breadth of adaptation rights for Gunnm I'd be trying to milk it as hard as possible, especially if I was trying to get a live-action movie off the ground.

Does this mean Cameron is probably why we never got Martian Memory in English?

Cameron wasn't just sitting on the IP. He had been developing the live-action adaptation since the early 2000s, with the help of Guillermo del Toro at the start. He had a whole bunch of work done for the film, ending up with a nearly 200 page screenplay, 600 pages of notes, and an "art reel" that showcased the arc of the film. We could have had Battle Angel back in 2009 instead of Avatar, since each film was in a state where the studio just had to add money and go. Cameron ultimately decided on Avatar, but he could have gone either way. See here: http://www.mtv.com/news/1628644/avatar-director-james-cameron-talks-future-projects/

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Tormented posted:

If anyone is wondering that is from the Jan 2019 chapter of Battle Angel, its still ongoing and is right now in a Alita baby prequel arc.

They really hate children in the future.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

They really hate children in the future.

There's an actual reason for that: outside of Earth's and a few other places that don't have access, the solar system powers are largely immortal, having solved the problem of aging a long time ago. Children are seen as a threat, so they've basically created a meat-grinder society that keeps life dirty, short, and brutal for everyone else.

Short of it, they're space Boomers actively keeping the younger generations down.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alita was good. She's a big adorable goobus and I love her.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I love this track so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K_CzTLFpAA

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

aww yes that's the good poo poo right there

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

The terminator and aliens sequels and extended universes have probably driven Cameron to be overly cautious with the rights to anything he plans on touching. If he really loves it that much he might also have some vague notion of protecting it from the rush job cheapo anime production that is most common nowadays and making sure it is given to the right studio, while actually just losing track of it amongst all his other obsessions.

If James Cameron rolled up to Fox/Disney right now and I was like hey man I want to make a new Aliens movie you think they'd say no?

teagone posted:

Cameron wasn't just sitting on the IP. He had been developing the live-action adaptation since the early 2000s, with the help of Guillermo del Toro at the start. He had a whole bunch of work done for the film, ending up with a nearly 200 page screenplay, 600 pages of notes, and an "art reel" that showcased the arc of the film. We could have had Battle Angel back in 2009 instead of Avatar, since each film was in a state where the studio just had to add money and go. Cameron ultimately decided on Avatar, but he could have gone either way. See here: http://www.mtv.com/news/1628644/avatar-director-james-cameron-talks-future-projects/

Plus he did Dark Angel which was clearly a beta run of Battle Angel to see if there would be any interest in such a thing, there's even a few shots in it from panels of the comic.

James Cameron is a huge rear end in a top hat and has been sued a ton of times for stealing poo poo, even things folks aren't totally aware of in the US like how True Lies a remake of a French movie Cameron ended up having to buy the rights for after True Lies came out to avoid paying insano-level damages.

But in this particular case he genuinely was working on Battle Angel when he bought the rights and kept getting sidetracked on whatever other project/ocean stuff and then going back to it. It wasn't like he was twirling his mustache keeping it from being used (the manga itself has been released in English multiple times ever since as an example) for anything ever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 19, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
As someone who never saw it: Was Dark Angel any good?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, this is a rare movie I like more as time goes on to think about it. It has issues, but there are so many subtle choices that show it was made with a ton of love and care. Even the casting was kind of low key good. Like, we all know Christoph Waltz is a fantastic actor, but even in a genre movie like this he was kind of quietly bringing some weight to the movie in a way that makes me think it wouldn't have been as good without him. No one really gave me the impression of being "Oh, Robert Rodriguez and Cameron? This will be a nice fun movie in between my real roles!"

Gonna try to see it again this week in our actual Atmos theater.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Axel Serenity posted:

Man, this is a rare movie I like more as time goes on to think about it. It has issues, but there are so many subtle choices that show it was made with a ton of love and care. Even the casting was kind of low key good. Like, we all know Christoph Waltz is a fantastic actor, but even in a genre movie like this he was kind of quietly bringing some weight to the movie in a way that makes me think it wouldn't have been as good without him. No one really gave me the impression of being "Oh, Robert Rodriguez and Cameron? This will be a nice fun movie in between my real roles!"

the cast was awesome. It's not immediately obvious because the two romantic leads are very much lesser known but Christoph Waltz, Mahershala Ali, Jennifer Connely, and Ed Norton are all Oscar winners, Jackie Earle Haley is a nominee, Ed Skrein and Casper Van Dien are perfect character actors in action movies, Eiza Gonzales and Lana Condor are rising stars and show up for like, 4 minutes each, and the other two actors that were surprise cast for future installments, Michelle Rodriguez and Jai Courtney are also dope.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

the cast was awesome. It's not immediately obvious because the two romantic leads are very much lesser known but Christoph Waltz, Mahershala Ali, Jennifer Connely, and Ed Norton are all Oscar winners, Jackie Earle Haley is a nominee, Ed Skrein and Casper Van Dien are perfect character actors in action movies, Eiza Gonzales and Lana Condor are rising stars and show up for like, 4 minutes each, and the other two actors that were surprise cast for future installments, Michelle Rodriguez and Jai Courtney are also dope.

I'm surprised we didn't get cyborg Danny Trejo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Toshimo posted:

As someone who never saw it: Was Dark Angel any good?

It is aggressively a television series from the year 2000 and all that entails. Honestly it's pretty fun so I'd give the first couple of episodes a shot to see. It only lasted two seasons too.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This is absolutely ridiculous but adorably hilarious due to Rosa and Christoph's interactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK1upyDagaI

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, the whole cast was great. That was one of the positives I held in my early rumblings when I was still sour that James Cameron wasn't directing, that they really knocked it out of the park with the casting — aside from Salazar, who I didn't really know much about then, and now regret hand waiving her off because drat she owned it up as Alita. Was happy that they all brought their A-game. Jai Courtney as Jashugan and Ed Norton as Nova are both inspired casting choices that pleasantly surprised me with their cameos.

And yeah, gonna see the movie again tomorrow in 3D this time at a Marcus Ultrascreen, and later again during the week with my dad and uncle.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Eiza Gonzales and Lana Condor are rising stars and show up for like, 4 minutes each,

Also Jorge Lendeborg Jr. In the last year or so I've seen him in support 'friend' roles in three films and he is very likable everytime, even in this despite being a jerk to Alita.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I liked him in Bumblebee.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I only have a passing knowledge of the original material (from fellow goon The Cameo, actually) but I really enjoyed this. It felt very energetic and frenetic, and the characters were all really fun to look at as well as extremely well acted. I really didn't expect a nuanced performance from Christopher Waltz in the cyborg anime movie, but here we are. Also this was the poo poo in Dolby 3D. Amazing sound and visuals delivered in one of the best theatrical experiences? Top notch!

I hope we get a sequel because I want to see Ed Norton doing his best James Cameron impression as Nova. Seriousl, with the goggles, he looked like Cameron with with a mullet and I loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I also wonder why they kept calling him Nova instead of Desty Nova.