Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

P-Mack posted:

I have no idea how i'd even tell if i blew a head off or not tbh. I'm four missions in and still not even sure if I'm playing a game... the briefings, the cutscenes, the gameplay, it's all just passing by leaving no intelligible impression

e: I think this is it but this guy took another twenty rockets before dying

: Blow an enemy's head off without killing them

lol hell of a review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

this font spacing had me momentarily confused trying to figure out which (Vietnamese?) character was named Wai Ti Ng

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

P-Mack posted:

this font spacing had me momentarily confused trying to figure out which (Vietnamese?) character was named Wai Ti Ng

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

P-Mack posted:

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

https://impzone.club/upload/gundam.mp4

this game is awkward but kinda cool honestly. delighted that you choose EXIT in the menu to start the mission by the way lol

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 24, 2023

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
took me about way too many hours into la mulana to realize the grail could teleport you lol.

How long has it taken people to beat it? Going to try to power through as much as I can in the weekend.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Shastahanshah fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 25, 2023

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm enjoying this game, the controls aren't too terribly confusing once I realized that it's just like controlling a tank in most military shooters where you rotate the turret and the body separately.

The destructible environments are a lot of fun, I'm on stage 2 in the huge urban area and watching the city just get flattened in the crossfire is cool.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It would be a lot better if I didn't have to stop every few minutes and open up a menu to remind my squad that I would appreciate it if they joined the battle, though.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Shastahanshah posted:

took me about way too many hours into la mulana to realize the grail could teleport you lol.

How long has it taken people to beat it? Going to try to power through as much as I can in the weekend.

you're absolutely not going to make it.

look forward to impmas

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Game can be very frustrating and I hate micromanaging my squad but it’s still kind of cool so far, I’d never even heard of it before so I’m glad it was picked.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

: Finish the game

Don't be misled by the way adjusting to the weird controls make this game seem like poo poo at first. If you get over that dire first impression you'll realize it's poo poo in a lot of other ways.

I'm not a gundam head so maybe this is secretly good lore but it feels to me like they didn't want to touch the events of the show but also didn't want to let their original characters seem cool or do anything that matters, so it's just a bunch of robot guys fighting other robot guys. None of them are memorable in the slightest.

The gameplay is too slow and clunky to be a satisfying action game, but also too shallow to be a satisfying technical mecha simulation. The controls are unmanageable unless you use the lock on feature, which reduces your strategy to basically just alternating shooting and sidestep dashing until you wear down the spongy enemies, all of which look the same.

The mission goals are confusing but that's fine because all you need to do is wander around until you find an enemy then kill it, then repeat.

You can give commands to your squad but there's no reason to give a command other than "kill that one enemy that's visible right now". It's kind of weird that you spend much of the game brutalizing enemy suits with a 3 on 1 advantage but the controls make fighting more than one enemy at a time atrociously unpleasant so this is probably for the best. When you do get ambushed from behind by extra enemies that emerged from Australia's famous pea soup fog there's not a whole lot you can do. Especially if they come close enough to engage in the extremely bad melee combat system.

The game is also unpleasant to look at.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Shastahanshah posted:

I beat hard mode in about 16 hours you should be fine.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Don't be misled by the way adjusting to the weird controls make this game seem like poo poo at first. If you get over that dire first impression you'll realize it's poo poo in a lot of other ways.

I'm not a gundam head so maybe this is secretly good lore but it feels to me like they didn't want to touch the events of the show but also didn't want to let their original characters seem cool or do anything that matters, so it's just a bunch of robot guys fighting other robot guys. None of them are memorable in the slightest.

The gameplay is too slow and clunky to be a satisfying action game, but also too shallow to be a satisfying technical mecha simulation. The controls are unmanageable unless you use the lock on feature, which reduces your strategy to basically just alternating shooting and sidestep dashing until you wear down the spongy enemies, all of which look the same.

The mission goals are confusing but that's fine because all you need to do is wander around until you find an enemy then kill it, then repeat.

You can give commands to your squad but there's no reason to give a command other than "kill that one enemy that's visible right now". It's kind of weird that you spend much of the game brutalizing enemy suits with a 3 on 1 advantage but the controls make fighting more than one enemy at a time atrociously unpleasant so this is probably for the best. When you do get ambushed from behind by extra enemies that emerged from Australia's famous pea soup fog there's not a whole lot you can do. Especially if they come close enough to engage in the extremely bad melee combat system.

lol nice work

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

P-Mack posted:

lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

: Fill every slot in your inventory

took a big long break last week but im getting back into it. killed the last 3 guardians today so hopefully i can finish the game up tomorrow or sunday.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
: Fill every slot in your inventory
: Beat the game

Thank you Fungah. The memories of getting to play through this game alongside friends are special ones.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

this whole month, this thread has felt like a group of friends huddling together at recess to share game secrets & strategies and it loving rules

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
agreed. im on the last boss of la-mulana rn and its been a great ride to experience the game with everyone else in the thread

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’m only about two hours in. Trying to figure out how to interact with these shield looking things on the wall

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

thank you fungah

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

speaking of friends, it's time to see who will pick the next short game

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Sub-Actuality posted:

this whole month, this thread has felt like a group of friends huddling together at recess to share game secrets & strategies and it loving rules

its awesome to see

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Looks like the next short game pick goes to Plebian Parasite! Congrats and let me know your game/trophy ideas when you get a chance

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 24, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm glad everyones been enjoying it, i thought itd be a kickass game club game and watchin everyone figure it out togethers been incredible. game club ftw

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i'm glad everyones been enjoying it, i thought itd be a kickass game club game and watchin everyone figure it out togethers been incredible. game club ftw

It's great, wish I'd had a quieter month and could have enjoyed it in full but really enjoyed even just the first four guardians, drawing my stupid maps and working out weird puzzles. Fantastic pick man

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fungah! posted:

it was foolish of me not to join in on game club last year but I'm glad I started with an instant classic. thank you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sub-Actuality posted:

Looks like the next short game pick goes to Plebian Parasite! Congrats and let me know your game/trophy ideas when you get a chance
I was confused by this but then I realized it’s already Saturday. Christ.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

American McGay posted:

I was confused by this but then I realized it’s already Saturday. Christ.

I got blindsided by my calendar reminder too lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

: Complete the Premium Disc Mission

I checked a translation guide and you get a partial victory as long as you defeat one of the gundams before you or both or your teammates lose. I probably could have thrown in an extra trophy for actually defeating all three.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my game crashed while fighting Palenque and took an hour and a half's progress with it

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Game 2-10

Pikmin 2 (GameCube/Wii) - 2004 - Deadline 3/14/23 11:59EST

Hocotate Freight is in debt, and the president of the company chooses to close his business down, until he finds that the planet that Olimar crashed landed onto in Pikmin was full of valuable treasures. He sends Captain Olimar and his co-worker Louie to go out and find more treasures, to repay their debt and save the company.

Pikmin 2 focuses on exploring the surface of an unknown planet from a microscopic perspective, where the player directs and delegates tasks to a horde of tiny plant-like creatures called Pikmin. The Pikmin can be directed to destroy obstacles, defeat enemies and retrieve objects. It introduces many gameplay mechanics not seen in Pikmin, including the ability to control two different leaders of the Pikmin at once and the addition of new Pikmin types.

Look at this loving magnificent print ad:

Link to the game manual:

Trophies:

: Pay off the debt
: Collect all treasures
: Earn all purple flowers in Challenge Mode
: Pay off the debt with zero Pikmin deaths (PLATINUM)

:siren:Game starts 3/1/23 12AM EST:siren:

Thanks to Plebian Parasite for the game and trophy picks and good luck imps!

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 24, 2023

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Ai No Uta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N52Gg0hy96s

Uprooted again, we'll follow you alone.
Today once again we'll carry, fight, multiply and be consumed.
Left alone again, we'll meet again and be thrown around again.
But we'll follow you forever.

I guess it's time to play.
Maybe we'll go out quietly.
Ah..., ah... falling in love...
Under that sky...

On this planet, where so many life forms live,
Today once again we'll carry, fight, multiply and then be consumed.
Uprooted, we'll gather, and be thrown.
But we won't ask you to love us.

I guess it's time to play.
Maybe we'll try harder.
Ah..., ah... falling in love...
Under that sky...

We'll work together, fight, and be consumed,
But we'll follow you forever.
We'll fight, be silent, and follow you,
But we won't ask you to love us.

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 24, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Awesome pick. I haven’t played 2 in forever

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

this is going to be a cozy couple of weeks. lfg

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lmao the plat icon

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hell yeah, i need to get dolphin going

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

2 is the only one i havent played, good poo poo

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

gently caress yeah

copy
Jul 26, 2007

was hoping pleb wouldve sniped whatever symbolic wouldve picked but also pikmin 2 is badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Never played any of these, cool.