Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So someone was emailing Clinton about stuff happening in Georgia without registering as a foreign lobbyist first. Clinton did what here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

So someone was emailing Clinton about stuff happening in Georgia without registering as a foreign lobbyist first. Clinton did what here?

Killed Vince Foster, duh

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deadulus posted:

Is the deadline for Iran deal tomorrow?

Is a deal expected to be reached or is this dead?

The most likely expectation is that they'll announce some kind of general framework for a deal, with the details to be hammered out over the next few months.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, I don't see anything in that article that directly incriminates Hillary. Blumenthal, on the other hand, is in a bit of hot water here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tubgoat posted:

Nuh uh, they just had terminal crises of faith regarding the one true religion, Totalitarian Capitalist Fascism, and thankfully saw the error of their ways before any damage could be done to our righteous and benevolent Captains of Industry.

Edit: TCF bank; it all makes sense now.

They want to turn the Church into the Orzhov Syndicate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PostNouveau posted:

Deadline is tomorrow. The news is the same as it's been for weeks, "We're very close to an agreement, but thorny issues remain." Presumably nothing much new is coming out lately because everyone who knows anything is locked in a backroom somewhere trying to hammer it out.
Does the deadline mean/enforced by anything? I mean, what happens tomorrow if they're not done? Why couldn't they just continue the talks anyways?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

site posted:

Does the deadline mean/enforced by anything? I mean, what happens tomorrow if they're not done? Why couldn't they just continue the talks anyways?

We have to personally give Iran 10 nukes and a map of the world with a skull and crossbones over Israel.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

It's self-imposed, and the talks have already missed a couple of deadlines. The BBC says all sides are already talking about these talks stretching into Wednesday.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

A morality play on the importance of a good Dead Man's Switch.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 30, 2015

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Shear Modulus posted:

A friend of mine said he'd read an article/essay that was recently in the New Yorker or Atlantic or something about a campaign to rebrand Christianity as pro-capitalism in midcentury American churches. He couldn't remember where it was but I wanted to read it. Does anyone know what I'm taking about?

I think more recently you may be thinking of One Nation Under God by Kevin Kruse. Pretty good Fresh Air interview here.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Shear Modulus posted:

A friend of mine said he'd read an article/essay that was recently in the New Yorker or Atlantic or something about a campaign to rebrand Christianity as pro-capitalism in midcentury American churches. He couldn't remember where it was but I wanted to read it. Does anyone know what I'm taking about?

Not sure if this is the article you had in mind, but it's pro-read regardless: Christians in the Hand of an Angry God

The rebranding stuff is in part 2

quote:

So it was at the 1964 Republican anti-communist caucus that somebody, and I think Dr. Stormer said it was George Will, laid down the law, and hit all the delegates present with a big whopping clue-by-four: if communism was to be defeated, then the Republicans were going to have to become a majority party. Seems obvious in hindsight, doesn't it?

But there's a catch. There's always a catch. In this case, the catch must have been this. The traditional Republican party is the party of Satan himself, and thereby unpalatable to nearly all of the 90% or more of the US public that self-identified as Christian.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Literally the "Be tolerant of my intolerance" defense :downsbravo:

There's never not an Onion article http://www.theonion.com/articles/closeminded-man-not-even-willing-to-hear-out-argum,35379/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “I think his trip back to Kenya is going to create a lot of chatter and commentary amongst some of the hard right, who still don’t see him as having been born in the U.S. I personally think he’s just inciting some chatter on an issue that should have been a dead issue a long time ago.” ~ former New Hampshire Governor John Sununu

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “I think his trip back to Kenya is going to create a lot of chatter and commentary amongst some of the hard right, who still don’t see him as having been born in the U.S. I personally think he’s just inciting some chatter on an issue that should have been a dead issue a long time ago.” ~ former New Hampshire Governor John Sununu

"Stop hitting yourself making people talk about whether or not you were actually born here!"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

This is one of the best Trollbama moves yet. Right in July, peak Republican Primary season.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

With that short skirt questionable place of birth, acting as provocative as she he is, that slut Obama is just asking for it!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the day, "When I arrived in Washington after everyone else had been sworn in, [Senator Kennedy] became my tutor and my guide. He introduced me to other Senators whom I'd never met. I'm the first United States Senator, other than him, I ever knew, and so it was new. I remember him taking me into the Senate gymnasium... where like a YMCA the men walk around between the shower stalls with nothing on. And he said, 'Joe, I'd like you to meet Jack Javits.' I felt embarrassed. I was fully clothed!" ~ Joe Biden, at the dedication of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the U.S. Senate today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk69IUzGtac

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Have you ever exercised your corporation's religious freedom? Well, have you ever exercised your corporation's religious freedom, on weed? :2bong:

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS - Paperwork for the First Church of Cannabis Inc. was filed Thursday – the same day Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law.

Church founder Bill Levin, who filed paperwork with the Secretary of State's office to register the church as a non-profit, posted to his Facebook page that church and its "Cannataerians" would seek "love, understanding and good health."

According to Levin's Facebook page, members of the First Church of Cannabis will be asked for individual donations of $4.20 a month.

:350: :420: :okpos: :drugnerd: :rznv:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Narcs will be refused service.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

Might be this?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/opinion/sunday/a-christian-nation-since-when.html?referrer=

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Have you ever exercised your corporation's religious freedom? Well, have you ever exercised your corporation's religious freedom, on weed? :2bong:

This is either totally ridiculous, an utter masterstroke, or more likely both at once.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mdemone posted:

This is either totally ridiculous, an utter masterstroke, or more likely both at once.

It'll fail as far as I know. Actual serious religious groups who used peyote as part of their rituals have been told to get hosed, so fake spaghetti religions based around weed will likely get the same legal response.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Caros posted:

It'll fail as far as I know. Actual serious religious groups who used peyote as part of their rituals have been told to get hosed, so fake spaghetti religions based around weed will likely get the same legal response.

But I bet I could ban my employees of my closely held corporation from using weed even in CO or WA and win if I claim a religious reason.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Someone beat the Church of Satan to a legislative snype? Dang.

I wonder what I get for $4.20/mo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

"It's not about what you get, man, it's about what you give." ~ Jesus, basically.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

But I bet I could ban my employees of my closely held corporation from using weed even in CO or WA and win if I claim a religious reason.
The only lines in the Bible that could reasonably pertain to drug use condemn drunkenness much more clearly but I doubt that'll be brought up

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Trabisnikof posted:

Or just drug test them.

My current operation (in CO) does randomized monthly drug tests on the folks here, and if you test positive for marriage-you-wanna, yer out.

site posted:

Warm & fuzzy feelings, maybe an unwanted hug from a white person with dreads.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

~ Jesus, basically.
Nailed it, lol

Amergin posted:

Warm & fuzzy feelings, maybe an unwanted hug from a white person with dreads.
Ugh, count me out. I'm so burned out on stoner culture.

site fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 30, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Have people talked about Reid retiring? I'm not super up to date on the thread but I read back a few days and didn't see anything about it :shrug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Magres posted:

Have people talked about Reid retiring? I'm not super up to date on the thread but I read back a few days and didn't see anything about it :shrug:

Yeah, we did. More in the 2016 Senate election thread than here. Chuck Schumer's going to be the new Democratic leader in the Senate. Former Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto is going to run for Reid's seat.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mdemone posted:

No it's stupid as poo poo. That religion can't get you around drug law has long been established and this has a bunch of assholes running around here going "yeah it sucks for gays but did you hear they made weed legal? I love this law"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

No it's stupid as poo poo. That religion can't get you around drug law has long been established and this has a bunch of assholes running around here going "yeah it sucks for gays but did you hear they made weed legal? I love this law"
Once again it's an example of how the Church of Satan would have done it better. Challenge the law on the pretense that companies can ban Christians from their facilities.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

The only lines in the Bible that could reasonably pertain to drug use condemn drunkenness much more clearly but I doubt that'll be brought up

"It is not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him but what comes out that defiles him" - Jesus Christ, Matthew 15:11

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

"It is not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him but what comes out that defiles him" - Jesus Christ, Matthew 15:11
Vomiting is clearly the greatest sin before god

I too can read scripture literally

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

Once again it's an example of how the Church of Satan would have done it better. Challenge the law on the pretense that companies can ban Christians from their facilities.

I wonder if Xipe Totec has any priests still floating around who would be willing to move to Indiana.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Vomiting is clearly the greatest sin before god

I too can read scripture literally

We are dealing with biblical fundamentalists, so yeah, that's a good plan.

Of course the thing about Biblical fundamentalists is they tend to only read the 3 Ps - Psalms, Proverbs, and Paul - and ignore the rest, like "love thy neighbor".

And on that note, they would stick with Proverbs 26:11 for their vomit passages "As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fried Chicken posted:

poo poo, we could have banned public smoking a long time ago if we just listened to JC.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Um, sorry, but was love thy neighbor in the Ten Commandments? I didn't think so, libtard

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Fried Chicken posted:

Basically you can suck as much cock as you want, but make sure you swallow.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Meat Recital posted:

Basically you can suck as much cock as you want, but make sure you swallow.

This only works if your into vore. Or detachable penis, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Jesus could hold in the bong hits like you wouldn't believe man.

• Locked thread