Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Xaris posted:

Let the enshittification of Jelly Bean begin. they just sold to a mega corp lol

https://bayareatelegraph.com/2023/10/19/after-154-years-family-owned-jelly-belly-just-sold-their-company-to-a-conglomerate/

i think JB reached market saturation years ago, and people are overall moving away from candy. so if you can't grow the company, you can instead squeeze out profit by cost-cutting and raking the remaining consumers like the good little paypiggies they are

the future is instantpot, everything must be instantpotted

instapotting of south park coming too

https://twitter.com/business/status/1715097505162006579

quote:

The creators of South Park are in discussions with Carlyle Group for a private loan totaling $800 million that would be used to refinance existing credit and fund a cash payout, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The loan would be backed by the intellectual property from the hit TV show, as well as related properties including the Casa Bonita restaurant and Broadway musical The Book of Mormon.

The loan, to be made via Carlyle’s credit arm, would refinance an existing $600 million debt facility provided by HPS Investment Partners in 2021, the people said. Parker and Stone signed a deal with ViacomCBS Inc. the same year paying more than $900 million over six years, one of the richest in TV history. The HPS loan appraised their library at close to $1 billion at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i mean how much worse can south park even get....? dont even know anyone who has watched it in like a decade

weird that they'd pay that much for it, and surprised matt & trey need the money, would think they'd be ultra rich after all this time. i guess that explains why its been on for like 30 seasons

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

enshittified south park sounds redundant

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more like preshittified south park

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

jelly beans already suck, and they're Harry Potter too.

i swear half this stuff is just saying things were better when i was a kid and went on field trips and stuff and the world was pure, which isnt wrong i guess

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

bitcoin cannot be stopped

https://x.com/firstsquawk/status/1715318523608674754

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mawarannahr posted:

check this out it's really great
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7209002163635244330

( millennials are heroes and the same as the silent generation )

My hope is the generational nonsense dies with millennials. Like when people start leaving gamgam to die in the desert because food is running low, she's just going to be babbling about how it's actually the Boomers' fault everything went to pot. Our deaths will come as a mercy to everyone around us.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

boomers hate participation trophies but their whole existence is a participation trophy

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

blatman posted:

boomers hate participation trophies but their whole existence is a participation trophy

Generation of outlandish genocidal self hate.

The lead generation.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

blatman posted:

boomers invented participation trophies because they couldn't handle the fact their grade school kid didn't win at sport

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actually that means 700,000 is the limit. probably considerably less than that

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I think we're just going to refer to miserly olds as "boomers" and shiftless young adults as "millennials" from now on, so the bitching never has to change

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
all age groups are the same in every aspect

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is like getting excited about a new edition of a college textbook; I just don't get Apple people.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

19 o'clock posted:

all age groups are the same in every aspect

humans and therefore complete poo poo?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

I think we're just going to refer to miserly olds as "boomers" and shiftless young adults as "millennials" from now on, so the bitching never has to change

We’ve already been doing this for fifteen years

Apr 7, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is like getting excited about a new edition of a college textbook; I just don't get Apple people.

This happens with every class of product, Americans have a gaping hole in their soul where meaning should be and they try to fill it with new products. It never works but they don’t know what else to do, so they’ll be in line for the next new product.

Back when the AMD Ryzen stuff was new I was looking at the SHSC thread about them and it was, literally, anticipation for release day -> purchase -> anticipation for the next generation release within a few days.

e: Philippines can be honorary Americans too I guess

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

this kind of poo poo died in the us almost ten years ago after you could just order new models online and have it show up at your house. no one here cares any more because the upgrades are minimal

posted from iphone 12 mini

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

triple sulk posted:

this kind of poo poo died in the us almost ten years ago after you could just order new models online and have it show up at your house. no one here cares any more because the upgrades are minimal

Sickos still line up on launch day, but it isn't as big as it used to be.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

as long as my phone can play the latest gacha, why would I give a poo poo?

triple sulk posted:

I don't think it did. I know some apple store and best buy people, and there is still a giant contingent of freaks that upgrade every single model. it's only slowed down some because nobody has money, I think the sentiment is still there

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

individuals can be smart but crowds are very very dumb

Apr 7, 2003

Raising Canes opened a franchise here and people lined up for hours to eat there. It's a chicken finger restaurant. People sat outside for hours waiting for chicken fingers.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Raising Canes opened a franchise here and people lined up for hours to eat there. It's a chicken finger restaurant. People sat outside for hours waiting for chicken fingers.

NEW chicken fingers

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they're opening one in philly, never had it and don't care. call me when there's a cookout

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Don't they have some ridiculously weird clout on social media? I feel like I see online personalities/influencers/celebrities showing off their Raising Canes meals for whatever reason.

I have to admit it made me curious about the food, but I don't live near one.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

they do one thing but they do it relatively well I must say

Apr 7, 2003

I'm opening a fish sticks restaurant

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
rip long john silvers always gonna ring that bell

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mr Hootington posted:

Tax the rich and stop starting wars.
No

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

rip long john silvers always gonna ring that bell
I think there's still a hybrid LJS+KFC store nearby.

Gonna go and eat and poo poo and fart myself to death, like God intended for every American.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1715355893888381116?t=L_Rnn2Rk0sDgidCBDoP3Wg&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
like I can understand going from an iPhone 10, 11, even 12, up to the 15, but that dude who was first in line for buy the new iPhone was also the guy who was first in line to buy the 14 last year

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

where did all the china is collapsing losers that posted in here go

is china not collapsing yet

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

like I can understand going from an iPhone 10, 11, even 12, up to the 15, but that dude who was first in line for buy the new iPhone was also the guy who was first in line to buy the 14 last year

Joseph Campbell posted:

A ritual is the enactment of a myth. And, by participating in the ritual, you are participating in the myth. And since myth is a projection of the depth wisdom of the psyche, by participating in a ritual, participating in the myth, you are being, as it were, put in accord with that wisdom, which is the wisdom that is inherent within you anyhow. Your consciousness is being re-minded of the wisdom of your own life.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Consumerism is an addiction but it's one that capitalists love for obvious reasons so it's okay.

I upgraded from a janky LG Android to a 12 Pro Max in 2021 and it will be my phone until it crumbles into dust. Zero reason to ever upgrade.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

The PRC was struggling quite a bit, but it looks like Q3 went better than expected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-economy-growth-third-quarter-deflation-youth-unemployment-property-crisis-2023-10

They've got their problems, but I don't think any serious person was actually expecting some massive collapse, right? I'm not as online as some of you people, though.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

The PRC was struggling quite a bit, but it looks like Q3 went better than expected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-economy-growth-third-quarter-deflation-youth-unemployment-property-crisis-2023-10

They've got their problems, but I don't think any serious person was actually expecting some massive collapse, right? I'm not as online as some of you people, though.

there was a freak in here predicting their collapse, theres also a entire industry that spits out youtube videos/articles on chinas daily collapse

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

you missed it china already collapsed. they've moved on to greener post pastures, having accomplished everything they set out to do

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

there was a freak in here predicting their collapse, theres also a entire industry that spits out youtube videos/articles on chinas daily collapse

I'm picturing a bunch of people with no real economic knowledge making that annoying astonished Youtuber face next to a sensationalized headline.

I don't think things are peachy keen in China, but the moment we see a massive downward spiral there is probably happening at the same time we in the West have some massive downward spiral. We're all in it together in the worst possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Eric Cantonese posted:

One of my childhood friends turned drinking buddies keeps on insisting its gonna collapse because "their housing market is in shambles" and no amount of telling him otherwise will change it. It's all pure projection because a nation that has multiple healthy material industries and a strong gov that can step in to make adjustments is anathema - the US only knows financialization and real estate speculation and if it goes so does the country. Thus every place in the world is exactly the same.

He's slowly cracking but it's a loving chore. And he's a drat good analog for a lot of americans.