Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Damiya posted:

[–]DieCommieScum 4 points 10 minutes ago
There is so much excellence in this fledgling economy, I hope with Gox's passing we can get on the path to celebrating what is great about it and not forever dwelling over the most recent turd in the punch bowl.

just think of the big, not failing exchanges like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
looney libtards, never change:

untog 3 minutes ago | link

Hello, downsides of unregulated currency. Some of the rules are there for a reason.

agorabinary 1 minute ago | link

Except when the rules result in say, Weimar.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Has anyone said 6 yet?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Brock Samson posted:

Has anyone said 6 yet?

no

don't inflate the thread

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

lmao @ 700k butts being gone. thats probably like 15-20% of all butts in existence that weren't already lost to the void

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FrozenVent posted:

no

don't inflate the thread

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

FrozenVent posted:

no

don't inflate the thread

Threads are by design deflationary. This is good for threads because

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Brock Samson posted:

Threads are by design deflationary. This is good for threads because

stop fudposting

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

mods please rename the thread to display its-happening.gif

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

double sulk posted:

lmao @ 700k butts being gone. thats probably like 15-20% of all butts in existence that weren't already lost to the void

they're "gone" in that they're sitting in gox employee wallets or the wallets of some smart dudes who figured out how to use malleability to take out way more bitcoins than they should have been able to .

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

double sulk posted:

the best part is that they are likely not gone, just stolen. which means someone likely will be looking for a chance to cash them out :getin:

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
i upvoted for the morbid speculation specifically

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the bitcoiner on my facebook is so smart you guys

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shifty Pony posted:

the best part is that they are likely not gone, just stolen. which means someone likely will be looking for a chance to cash them out :getin:

so many trains are about to be chased over

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

btc: chasing thieves on top of trains all the way to the train wreck

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh, cool, it happened

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

FrozenVent posted:

btc: chasing thieves on top of trains all the way to the train wreck

....riding on top of the titanic

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

thats only if gox stole them. if it was outsiders stealing them, they've probably been selling them on the other exchanges long before this, and using the profits to get more to steal out of gox.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

this issue has been going on for years, they were probably cashed out instantly.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

Shifty Pony posted:

They quite literally proved inflation = theft.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
what is the best case scenario for gox, they release all the bitcoin they have back to people but default on any USD pending payments?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

....riding on top of the titanic

i'll sell you 50 titanicdeckchairs for 10 realdeckchairs

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

mod sassinator posted:

what is the best case scenario for gox, they release all the lulz they have back to people but default on any pending payments?

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

quote:

Acting as a custodian should require a high-bar, including appropriate security safeguards that are independently audited and tested on a regular basis, adequate balance sheets and reserves as commercial entities, transparent and accountable customer disclosures, and clear policies to not use customer assets for proprietary trading or for margin loans in leveraged trading. It does not appear to any of us that MtGox followed any these essential requirements as a financial services provider.

God drat the irony.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
wanted to check the reddit thread on mtgox being shut down and i actually chuckled at the top comment

[–]leeburg 82 points 1 hour ago

Eagerly awaiting an announcement. Once Gox tumbles the team should get together and write a book on how not to run a business

save

[–]bitchrome 311 points 1 hour ago

The book will have two Chapter 11's

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
ok, stick a fork on the gox, it's done.

what i am saying is: which exchange should we target next?

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
List of Mt. Gox shills and idiots who ruined their reputation (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 6 minutes ago* by bl0wnupaccount

Enough is enough. Calling out all of those who pretended to play stupid or were outright complacent in what was going on.

midnightmagic - Called people warning of gox insolvency as spreading fud
Roger Ver Massive vouching for gox in 2013. Including youtube video. Convicted Felon POSSIBLY COMPLACENT
sturle One of the biggest mt.gox pumpers on bitcointalk POSSIBLY COMPLACENT
Andreas M. Antonopolous Said exchanges would be up and running within a week of the Tx. Mal issue, Said Mt.Gox was just clownish. Said no evidence of missing funds. Tons of warning signs including discounted price.
Charlie Shrem Early Mt. Gox User and came out stating good news was in the pipeline
Peter Vessenes Caused 10 million of damage to Mt. Gox liquidity. Ruined his own reputation.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BanjoFish posted:

Enough is enough. Calling out all of those who pretended to play stupid or were outright complacent in what was going on.

Roger Ver Massive vouching for gox in 2013. Including youtube video. Convicted Felon POSSIBLY COMPLACENT
Andreas M. Antonopolous Said exchanges would be up and running within a week of the Tx. Mal issue, Said Mt.Gox was just clownish. Said no evidence of missing funds. Tons of warning signs including discounted price.
Charlie Shrem Early Mt. Gox User and came out stating good news was in the pipeline
Peter Vessenes Caused 10 million of damage to Mt. Gox liquidity. Ruined his own reputation.

does this mean our reputations are now unflappable since we called it all along

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
mods rename the thread to "the sound of 1000 butts"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
is it already time to draw the long knives

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

BanjoFish posted:

yessssssssss

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

EAT YOUR OWN! EAT THEM! EAT THEM ALL! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

BanjoFish posted:

of course NOW they care that roger "Bitcoin Jesus" ver was a convicted felon

and they're also turning against bitcoin jesus 2.0 wonderful

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

fool_of_sound posted:

does this mean our reputations are now unflappable since we called it all along
nah

anyone who is too correct about something too early will never be taken seriously because they would just make the establishment feel bad

see: iraq war, 2008 financial crisis

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
so if gox pulled the plug and evaporated the coins, by my quick napkin math they single handedly razed nearly half a billion dollars of market cap for btc

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It took me a little while to realize he meant complicit not complacent

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

just a reminder that some dude was recently trading GoxBTC for real BTC at 2-for-1 and he is presumably out all of his Bitcoins now

https://bitcoinbuilder.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

a while back i accused antanapoulopos of being involved with that one program that was precompiled with malware but had clean source. just trying to get a rise out of him. he immediately responded with a demand for my evidence, which i thought a little weird.

• Locked thread