Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Regarding fuel pumps, you can do a cursory check of the fuel system by looking for fault codes with VCDS, otherwise you might need to pay for a diagnostic from VW/Audi. I needed Audi to hook up a tool and monitor fuel pressure constantly.

For the MAF, you can get a good idea of what's up by doing a 3rd gear pull from 1k RPM to redline while logging your RPM, and MAF grains/sec block. Not sure which block it is for your motor, my 4.2 was logged on block 039 for MAF, and 004 for RPM.

You can take the results and make a quick graph in Excel to get a good view. Here’s my end result along with the A/F trim for each bank:

Let me know if you need any further help with logging.

I forgot to post to give this issue some closure: I turned out to be a failed PCV. I had it fixed a few weeks ago and the car's been happy ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Turns out that aside from my headlight issue I had earlier (headlight controller module, dead bulb); some other part is broken and my mechanic can not fix it.

Apparently it's some part that needs to be coded and only the dealer can do it. The part is gonna run me about $400, not including the actual labor.

Owning a car is very expensive.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

obi_ant posted:

Turns out that aside from my headlight issue I had earlier (headlight controller module, dead bulb); some other part is broken and my mechanic can not fix it.

Apparently it's some part that needs to be coded and only the dealer can do it. The part is gonna run me about $400, not including the actual labor.

Owning a car is very expensive.

This is why I opted for the extended warranty on the R. People can naysay all they like, but the only cost I'll have is the payment, and maintenance starting in year 4.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Wife is dead set on getting a 10-14 tdi jettasportwagen. What am I looking for as far maintenance is concerned? Tsb's? Recalls? I know the basic 30,60,90,120 but as far as diesel specific stuff i'm kinda in the dark.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Wife is dead set on getting a 10-14 tdi jettasportwagen. What am I looking for as far maintenance is concerned? Tsb's? Recalls? I know the basic 30,60,90,120 but as far as diesel specific stuff i'm kinda in the dark.

There is a TSB for the ECU, and they just extended the fuel pump warranty to 10y/120k. Other than that, not sure.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The fuel pump is really the killer on the CR TDI engines as it tends to take out the entire fuel system with it when it grenades. But as mentioned VW just extended the warranty on the HPFP so I wouldn't let that stop you.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

My wife keeps making the logical point that having a roadster and two children isn't very practical, so I'm starting to look at an 08-10 S5 Coupe with the 4.2 V8. Looks like carbon buildup is an issue, any other things i should look out for?

How big of a job is replacing the ribbed v-belt? Looks like that's needed at 75k.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

My wife keeps making the logical point that having a roadster and two children isn't very practical, so I'm starting to look at an 08-10 S5 Coupe with the 4.2 V8. Looks like carbon buildup is an issue, any other things i should look out for?

How big of a job is replacing the ribbed v-belt? Looks like that's needed at 75k.

Are you talking about the accessory belt?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

My 2013 has been great, granted we only have 15k miles on it. First auto car I've owned and I love how the DSG drives. I would recommend looking at the 2015's since at least in the pnw used ones are barely cheaper than a new one. That and I like the slight styling changes they made on the new ones.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I found a Phaeton parked next to my GTI in the parking garage today. Those things are rare?/cool?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

eriddy posted:

I found a Phaeton parked next to my GTI in the parking garage today. Those things are rare?/cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINSi9ofD7U

Cool as heck

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

eriddy posted:

Yeah, I was driving to an appointment the other day and got to drive alongside a Phaeton W12 for a few minutes (in my current piece of poo poo beat-to-hell Mazda). I will own one of those things some day,. It's one of the more interesting cars from the last 15 years from a collectibility perspective (Disclaimer: I am not an automobile collector, nor do I have any experience in managing investments. I just want to collect a Phaeton W12 for myself).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, I was driving to an appointment the other day and got to drive alongside a Phaeton W12 for a few minutes (in my current piece of poo poo beat-to-hell Mazda). I will own one of those things some day,. It's one of the more interesting cars from the last 15 years from a collectibility perspective (Disclaimer: I am not an automobile collector, nor do I have any experience in managing investments. I just want to collect a Phaeton W12 for myself).

They are exceedingly inexpensive. Sub 10k for the W12 even, at least in the United States.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Negromancer posted:

My 2013 has been great, granted we only have 15k miles on it. First auto car I've owned and I love how the DSG drives. I would recommend looking at the 2015's since at least in the pnw used ones are barely cheaper than a new one. That and I like the slight styling changes they made on the new ones.

We live in Washington, and I have already run into the tdi madness as far as pricing. We are looking at getting a one way plane ticket to get one out of cali as the hype isn't as insane down there. Whats your average mileage? I have been reading that the stated mileage is much lower than people are getting, is that true?

Kytrarewn posted:

The timing chain replacement on the Phaeton is quoted as a 20 hour job. Crazy stuff

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

KakerMix posted:

They are exceedingly inexpensive. Sub 10k for the W12 even, at least in the United States.

To purchase, yes. One of my buddies had one though and he was going through tires like every 10k miles or so I guess because of the weight and they arent inexpensive tires. He had to pull the drivers seat out to install a push button start or something like that and the fucker weighs like 200lbs because of the motors to move it around/seat massagers and poo poo like that. It was a wicked nice car though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

We live in Washington, and I have already run into the tdi madness as far as pricing. We are looking at getting a one way plane ticket to get one out of cali as the hype isn't as insane down there. Whats your average mileage? I have been reading that the stated mileage is much lower than people are getting, is that true?

The timing chain replacement on the Phaeton is quoted as a 20 hour job. Crazy stuff

I averaged 40mpg tank average over the 4 years I had my 11. Usually around 550 miles per tank. Filled up the R this morning and for the same 13.5 gallons I only got 340 miles. QQ. The MK7 tdi has urea injection I believe and is actually rated at 45 highway.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I live in Seattle and spend probably 95% of my time driving in Seattle traffic and average mid 30's(I honestly don't pay that much attention to my mileage) but I do tend to drive it pretty hard and leave the transmission in sport mode most of the time since the engine breaking is great in traffic and I prefer the throttle feel. on road trips I have seen close to 50mpg. I really don't drive that much, picked up the car on Halloween 2013 with 42 miles on it and I have yet to hit 16k miles.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Viktor posted:

Had my 12 golf tdi in for 60k service and they did an ecu flash also and it cleared up low speed jerkiness of the dsg. The pull is smooth now at 1800 rpm also.

bizwank posted:

2011; the letter said "certain 2010-2014 TDI A3s" so maybe not all of them were effected? They should probably just call their dealership and ask. What was the notice they received?

Could you guys look up the recall number or description from your receipt? I realize it may vary by model and engine and etc, but my folks dealer says there is no recall for *any* TDI DSG and the service advisor got pretty upset with my dad for even asking.

An Audi NA technical rep rode with my dad once, the car *did its thing* many many times, and the rep and the tech denied ever noticing it. It has to be one of the roughest riding DSG's I've ever driven (I drove it around quite a lot this week, which reminded me to ask you guys)

TIA!

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

SiGmA_X posted:

Could you guys look up the recall number or description from your receipt? I realize it may vary by model and engine and etc, but my folks dealer says there is no recall for *any* TDI DSG and the service advisor got pretty upset with my dad for even asking.

An Audi NA technical rep rode with my dad once, the car *did its thing* many many times, and the rep and the tech denied ever noticing it. It has to be one of the roughest riding DSG's I've ever driven (I drove it around quite a lot this week, which reminded me to ask you guys)

TIA!

They should be able to enter their VIN on this site to see everything: http://www.vw.com/content/vwcom/en/owners-recalls.html

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I believe it's this one. Not sure what years it affects. I would assume 14s probably don't need it. Honestly, the MK7 platform is so much superior to the MK6 I wouldn't even look at used TDIs.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318495

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

SiGmA_X posted:

Mine's at home but it was a Service Campaign, not a Recall, and it's for the ECU not the DSG. That plus a load of pedantry on the part of the dealer might explain the confusion. Just put the VIN into the vw site.

*Edit: Found my receipt, the line items read "23602599 ECM Software Update" and "43782 Performed 23N4 Emissions Update". There are no identifying numbers on the letter I got from AoA notifying me of the service action.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 15, 2015

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

The fuel pump is really the killer on the CR TDI engines as it tends to take out the entire fuel system with it when it grenades. But as mentioned VW just extended the warranty on the HPFP so I wouldn't let that stop you.

I just bought a sportwagen tdi today and turned down the extended warranty. Although I can still buy it. Should I reconsider?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Withnail posted:

I just bought a sportwagen tdi today and turned down the extended warranty. Although I can still buy it. Should I reconsider?

I would say it depends who the warranty is through and what it covers. Generally third party warranties aren't worth it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is it brand new? 15 "Golf" Wagen? What price did they set for the extended warranty. Personally, to me, over the 7 years that the warranty covers, its less than I spend on alcohol each month, and since I haven't finished my 2nd car yet, I have to basically rely on having a car that both won't break and if it does I'm covered when it does. It's a gamble against poo poo breaking. Do you think something expensive will break in the time you're going to own the car that will be more expensive than the warranty, or do you feel lucky.
The cost of my 7 year extended warranty is less than I have spent on computer parts this year.

Also, this is what it looks like after having the car buffed and opti-coated. Click for huge.

That's the metal flake, not dirt.
My wheels are better than the silly 7.5" oem wheels.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 15, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

The cost of my 7 year extended warranty is less than I have spent on computer parts this year.

You and I both know you are way outside the 'normal' range for computer parts purchasing. And I say this as a Titan X SLI computer haver.

Withnail posted:

The new Sportwagens are so much better looking than the last gen it isn't even funny. DSG or manual?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

You and I both know you are way outside the 'normal' range for computer parts purchasing. And I say this as a Titan X SLI computer haver.

The new Sportwagens are so much better looking than the last gen it isn't even funny. DSG or manual?

Isn't that the truth. But I have made good choices in life, like never getting married or having kids. Amazing how much random poo poo you can afford without child support or alimony. :)

The MK7 s basically superior to the MK6 in every way. It's stiffer (heh), lighter, faster, and gets better mileage across almost every car.

The Haldex5 is superior to the previous versions.

The head unit is larger and has tons more features.

There are more things, but well I'm too tired to remember.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Apparently there was a recall for my MKV's PCV valve. Did they redesign the valve or just replace it with the same one?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

bizwank posted:

Mine's at home but it was a Service Campaign, not a Recall, and it's for the ECU not the DSG. That plus a load of pedantry on the part of the dealer might explain the confusion. Just put the VIN into the vw site.

*Edit: Found my receipt, the line items read "23602599 ECM Software Update" and "43782 Performed 23N4 Emissions Update". There are no identifying numbers on the letter I got from AoA notifying me of the service action.
The problem is they have a notice and an appointment for a different recall, and that website doesn't list *any* recalls.

Thanks for the info, my dad is going to see if the other Audi dealer can look up anything else. Their *main* dealer has been really unhelpful.

Also, they aren't quite due for a new TDI yet - their 2012 only has 105k on it! (They drive 33-35k/yr...)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Isn't that the truth. But I have made good choices in life, like never getting married or having kids. Amazing how much random poo poo you can afford without child support or alimony. :)

The MK7 s basically superior to the MK6 in every way. It's stiffer (heh), lighter, faster, and gets better mileage across almost every car.

The Haldex5 is superior to the previous versions.

The head unit is larger and has tons more features.

There are more things, but well I'm too tired to remember.

The Sportwagens without question look better to me but I haven't seen a new R in person yet. In pictures I don't think they look as good as the MK6s but I might be biased :v:
Depending on what the Focus RS ends up being like I might jump ship but if VW did bring the R Wagon over I'd get that without question.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Prefect Six posted:

Sure a coupe has rear seats, but once you have to get two kids back there with car seats it's the worst. Unless they're old and big enough car seats aren't needed, but then they may not fit back there.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

KakerMix posted:

It's a manual. First gear is a tiny bit sluggish, but after that it gets good. They quoted around 2700 for a 7 year, 100k warranty. The main thing I would be worried about is the electronics. But I think these new ones are built in a new factory, so who knows.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Withnail posted:

It's a manual. First gear is a tiny bit sluggish, but after that it gets good. They quoted around 2700 for a 7 year, 100k warranty. The main thing I would be worried about is the electronics. But I think these new ones are built in a new factory, so who knows.

:getin:

I don't have any real advice for you about the warranty. I have a 13 Golf R I bought new, it has 25k on it right now and I've had zero issues so that's my only benchmark, however mine was made in ~Germany~ so it has exclusive Bavarian cheap labor.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KakerMix posted:

The Sportwagens without question look better to me but I haven't seen a new R in person yet. In pictures I don't think they look as good as the MK6s but I might be biased :v:
Depending on what the Focus RS ends up being like I might jump ship but if VW did bring the R Wagon over I'd get that without question.

I feel bad every time I drive by a new golf sportwagen in my 2013 jetta sportwagen because they look so much better. I am tempted to trade mine in on one, but I am still holding out hope they will bring out a tdi 4motion wagon. That I could justify trading in my car for, but at this point I can't do it for a better looking body.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

This car has been posted on craigslist a couple of times. I kinda want to buy it but if it's been posted multiple times there's probably something wrong with it. Anyone have experience that could enlighten me as to what to look for?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Cross-posting from the chat and stupid questions thread since I'm looking for ways to not have to rebuild the engine in my house.

scuz posted:

Looks like my '02 Golf's oil problems are far from fixed.

12 days ago:

Today:

No leaks or puddles on the floor of the garage, a lot of carbon build-up on the spark plugs. After I took em out I found enough oil on their threads to paint a fuckin picture. If I get that new job, I can bus in to work and finally rebuild this engine cuz the compression test checked out and the valve cover gasket is fine (even though that wasn't the problem in the first place). :mediocre: Any other tests or checks I can do to keep me from hauling this engine out and unfucking it? The thing I was going to check next was the valve stem seals.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Do a hot leak down and figure out what's leaking. Could be valve seals, could be rings. Could be PCV/CCV related but that's less likely.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

Do a hot leak down and figure out what's leaking. Could be valve seals, could be rings. Could be PCV/CCV related but that's less likely.
Yeah, I did the quick 'take the oil cap off and see whether the idle changes' test and it got much rougher with the oil cap removed, which the internet told me means my PCV is okay. I'll do the other thing and see what's up maybe.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

scuz posted:

Yeah, I did the quick 'take the oil cap off and see whether the idle changes' test and it got much rougher with the oil cap removed, which the internet told me means my PCV is okay. I'll do the other thing and see what's up maybe.
That's generally a good sign that PCV is okay. Do the leakdown, see where you gotta go from there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Isn't that year one of the cars that likes to burn oil?

Anyone know where the Soundaktor(tm) is located in the new cars? Will unplugging it cause any issues, cause I really do not enjoy the fake engine noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

veedubfreak posted:

Isn't that year one of the cars that likes to burn oil?

Anyone know where the Soundaktor(tm) is located in the new cars? Will unplugging it cause any issues, cause I really do not enjoy the fake engine noise.
It's located against the firewall as it uses the firewall for amplification. You can always pull the fuse, I don't think the circuit is shared with anything else.

Most engine noise is transmitted to the cabin through vibration. The Soundaktor isn't a speaker but is basically a scaled up version of the vibration device found in cell phones. It's not really creating "fake engine noise" (like BMW's system) but rather just amplifying existing engine noise since the the vibration is directly tied to the type of engine and engine RPM.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 21, 2015