Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Rubio couldn't capitalize on momentum even if reagan came back from the dead and personally endorsed him. "That's why President Reagan gave me his endorsement -" *BZZZZZT* "That's why P-President Reagan gave me his endorsement - *BZZT* "That's why President Reagan gave me his endorsement -"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rubio has zero charisma despite the continued messaging that tries to fool people that he does. His lack of presence is impressive. Cruz is terrible and everyone that isn't an insane holy roller hates him and rightfully so.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 24, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Crowder coming to grips with Trump
And even if Trump win, i bet the republican elite will just try to have Rubio/Cruz be the third ticket in the election, just as a revenge "gently caress you trump". Trump should have asked the other candidates to also swear they wouldn't run as third candidate if they didn't win the nomination when they publicly asked him to do so.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nah they aren't that dumb. Running against the popularly chosen candidate with your own establishment guy and screwing both will alienate them from a large amount of their base for as long as they can remember that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Radish posted:

Nah they aren't that dumb.
We are talking about the republican party, i will have to disagree.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The guys at the top are pretty smart, they're just finally having to deal with the monster they've created.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Radish posted:

The guys at the top are pretty smart, they're just finally having to deal with the monster they've created.
And while it may not be Rubio/Cruz, i wouldn't be surprised by a surprise "gently caress you trump" candidate from people with heavy republican ties, just to make 100% sure he lose. Not that it will save their control on their own party, mind you.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I was thinking about how Trump plays upon racism such that his lack of actual Christianity becomes irrelevant to these people, including evangelicals, surprisingly. Well, I think it works the same for his misogyny as well. He manages to take it up a notch where you don't even need to fall back on "family values" and biblical support of anti-women policies. He just outright says women's only value is their attractiveness.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Bast Relief posted:

I was thinking about how Trump plays upon racism such that his lack of actual Christianity becomes irrelevant to these people, including evangelicals, surprisingly. Well, I think it works the same for his misogyny as well. He manages to take it up a notch where you don't even need to fall back on "family values" and biblical support of anti-women policies. He just outright says women's only value is their attractiveness.

The pop-science explanation is just the appeal of authoritarianism. People who identify as political/social/cultural conservatives or evangelicals (or any mix thereof) tend to favor authoritarian views. This is especially important for understanding evangelicals as a bloc: it's not really about faith or Christ or whatever, it's about power/authority/patriarchy; evangelicalism is just a strong expression of that trifecta.

Trump is a granddaddy authoritarian, and that's the glue that's holding a diverse conservative demographic together right now.

edit: which is to say, directly to your point, the misogyny and racism issues don't mean poo poo (and you can see this pretty clearly with the hilarious Trump supporters in the GOP thread)

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 24, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Naet posted:

The pop-science explanation is just the appeal of authoritarianism. People who identify as political/social/cultural conservatives or evangelicals (or any mix thereof) tend to favor authoritarian views. This is especially important for understanding evangelicals as a bloc: it's not really about faith or Christ or whatever, it's about power/authority/patriarchy; evangelicalism is just a strong expression of that trifecta.

Trump is a granddaddy authoritarian, and that's the glue that's holding a diverse conservative demographic together right now.

edit: which is to say, directly to your point, the misogyny and racism issues don't mean poo poo (and you can see this pretty clearly with the hilarious Trump supporters in the GOP thread)

If anything, the blatant racism and sexism are a bonus for this crowd as it gives them a convenient enemy to fight. Authoritarians absolutely need some external foe to unite against or they collapse on themselves and race/sexism grants them foes they'll always be able to find that they already resent simply for existing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think the GOP noise machine will line up behind Trump if he wins the nomination rather than risk splitting the party in half over it, but only once it's clear he'll be the nominee.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Remember when people blamed Nader for Gore losing? Magnify that by about 1000x and you'll get right wing media's approach to Trump if he runs, and loses.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I've got to hand it to Trump, if he's good for one thing it's making Glenn Beck mad, nude, and red:

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presi...-caucus-speech/

quote:

Talk radio host Glenn Beck, who was in Nevada campaigning on behalf of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) at the caucus, denounced Donald Trump’s supporters as “brown shirts” after the GOP frontrunner upstaged Beck by making an impromptu appearance at the same caucus venue he was speaking at.

Beck took to Facebook to protest the behavior of Trump supporters, describing them as “some of the nastiest people I have ever been with.”

“We have their hate and rage on tape,” Beck wrote. “Others around them were embarrassed for them. It was scary and sad.”

“All candidates have someone speak for them at the caucus. In the middle of my speech Trump walked in,” Beck explained, linking to a Politico article about Trump’s surprise appearance at the same location Beck was speaking at.

Beck compared Trump’s supporters to Hitler’s notorious paramilitary group known as the “Brownshirts.”

“I believe Trump, whether he knows it or not, is grooming brown shirts,” Beck stated, adding, “Don’t believe me, go to a caucus.”

MFW when some reality show huckster beats me at my own game.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 24, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Republican dudes are legitimately scared that Trump is going to tank the "conservative" brand and poison it for a generation if he wins the nomination and/or the presidency.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Oh no Trump is giving the game away! What will all these grifters do now?

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Republican dudes are legitimately scared that Trump is going to tank the "conservative" brand and poison it for a generation if he wins the nomination and/or the presidency.
If Bush Jr. couldn't do it, I'm not convinced anyone can.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tercio posted:

I've got to hand it to Trump, if he's good for one thing it's making Glenn Beck mad, nude, and red:

i think the huckster lost his mind years ago because he bought into his own bullshit.now he has finaly seen the end result of all of his labors and he knows he has damned us all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Polybius91 posted:

If Bush Jr. couldn't do it, I'm not convinced anyone can.

bush jr never went full retard hard right fascist during campain speechs.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh breaking on Twitter

quote:

Time to face the fact that Ben Carson is a deeply selfish and not terribly honest man. The harm he is doing to the country is inexcusable.

In summation, every candidate has contributed to the Trump phenomenon through their own cowardice & self-interest. Im pissed at all of them.

Why is anyone still saying the best strategy is to NOT take Trump on? Are you all insane? Look where the kid glove treatment has gotten us.

Why are none of the candidates talking about Trump's fraudulent scam online "college" that's not under investigation?

Why, in Evangelical SC, did none of the candidates mention Trump bragging about affairs or putting strip clubs in his hotels?

Why have none of them put the video of Trump saying he'd like to date his daughter in an attack ad?

Why have none of the candidates done any digging into Trump's shady business dealings ?

Why hasn't any candidate dug up even an ounce of dirt on Donald Trump

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Star Man posted:

Jesus, Kasich sounds just like my mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbyFn4Ak_wE

"If only Washington were more bipartisan, then there wouldn't be so many conflicts over things like the Supreme Court!" Well, yes, that's tautologically true. What I wish Stephen had asked is "name one thing the president could do about that which Obama hasn't already done?" (aside from not being black/a democrat). It's amazing how Obama can simultaneously be blasted by the left for appeasing Republicans too much and the right for ruling like a dictator.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ahahaha yeah Walsh, the Good Christian Republicans of South Carolina really give a poo poo about public affairs.

Walsh slowly coming to terms with the fact that conservative Christians typically give more of a poo poo about being racist and lowering taxes than anything about their faith and freaking out about it is wonderful. :allears:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 24, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aw, poor Walsh. :getin:

Seriously, I wonder how many candidates are aware they have flaws and lines that are just as bad that Trump, who's proven himself to be a thousand times better than anyone else on the stage, can use to kill them in attack ads. They're all avoiding Trump because in their current, weakened state he can pick them off and the candidates are all praying that everyone else will drop and strengthen the remaining contenders enough so that they can attack Trump without being demolished.

The only person who could have really taken on Trump and won was John Ellis Bush Bush, simply because he had the money and establishment machine behind him that he could have weathered the attacks. Only problem is that Jeb. was one of the weakest candidates on his own merits.

If (shudder) Cruz or Christie had access to the comical amount of money that Bush had propping him up, Trump would be sporting quite a few more bruises right now. But as is, with every other legitimate (and quasi-legitimate) runner weakened to the point where they're all awkward also-rans right now Trump can brutalize them one at a time if he so chooses to. And the best way to guarantee individual attention from Trump is to attack him outside of the debates (during the debates Trump probably feels like it's all part of the show).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh Matt Walsh has finally caught onto the fact that Carson is a lying grifter who is only doing this to bolster his book sales? You know, the same "candidate" that suspended his campaign for 2 weeks specifically to do his book tour?

Matt really does have his finger on the pulse of the GOP if he's having such clairvoyant revelations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I almost feel bad for Walsh, because his entire worldview is basically a lie, and he's in a state of panic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump gonna win the nomination, and start a new era for this thread: Post-Trump Nomination, the right will get super emboldened.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The scariest thing is that Republicans are now apparently more about ideological purity than winning. They'd rather have Trump lose than Rubio win.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Radish posted:

It's very much this. Even Limbaugh doesn't know what to make of Trump or how to talk about him. The GOP establishment seems as stunned as the rest of us but they shouldn't be. Trump is the culmination of boorishness, wealth, racism, xenohobia, greed and idolatry that they've been clamoring for all along. In many ways, he's the prefect Republican candidate, but now that they're staring him in the face and looking in the mirror, they're stumbling for ways to rationalize it and explain away why it's not as bad as it is.

Side question (no idea where to ask it):

Has a study ever been done conflating the influence of polls with a person's voting decisions? Meaning, if a voter sees that Trump in Arkansas up by 27 points, does it effect his voting; either by giving up and staying home or jumping on the bandwagon and voting for the front runner?

I ask because I think that part of Trump's success this year has as much to do with his persistent media presence (good or bad) coupled with his whole "winners and losers" schtick. Since the Dem and Rep nominees seem to be a foregone conclusion at this point, to what extent does simply knowing that effect voters moving forward is my general question?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tercio posted:

For once, Glenn Beck is not wrong. hosed up thing is, he doesn't realize how his role in dispensing media and disseminating "information" helped create this phenomenon.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously the conservative pundits that are sitting there shell shocked after each Trump win going "I.. I don't understand how he's doing so well!! He's just a racist rear end in a top hat that's being a dick to everyone and he's even getting CHRISTIANS on board!" have to be brain dead. I can't figure out if they are really so stupid that they can't understand the actual meaning behind decades of conservative messaging or they are just pretending that the ideology is actually legitimate in the desperate hope that Trump trips up and human dress shirt cardboard insert Rubio takes his rightful place as candidate.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The thing I don't understand about the Trump phenomenon is that he's clearly pandering in every thing he says without attempting to hide that he's pandering. Everything he says seems insincere and doesn't even attempt to hide it, yet people eat it up.

It's like he's playing the role of a horrible politician yet people seem to think he's authentic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Radish posted:

Seriously the conservative pundits that are sitting there shell shocked after each Trump win going "I.. I don't understand how he's doing so well!! He's just a racist rear end in a top hat that's being a dick to everyone and he's even getting CHRISTIANS on board!" have to be brain dead. I can't figure out if they are really so stupid that they can't understand the actual meaning behind decades of conservative messaging or they are just pretending that the ideology is actually legitimate in the desperate hope that Trump trips up and human dress shirt cardboard insert Rubio takes his rightful place as candidate.

They'll do what they always do and blame the liberal media. For once, they wouldn't be entirely wrong either.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The guy who used 9/11 to invade the wrong loving country didn't tank the conservative brand. Why would this?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

The scariest thing is that Republicans are now apparently more about ideological purity than winning. They'd rather have Trump lose than Rubio win.
I think what's scarier is the reason why.
I've had a Tea Party dude tell me, "We have to vote our conscience."

Why? Because it doesn't really matter who runs the government. The End Times are coming and all the signs are there, just look, so gently caress governing and get right with the LORD because the Rapture is coming soon and you don't wanna be here (Left Behind.)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think what's scarier is the reason why.
I've had a Tea Party dude tell me, "We have to vote our conscience."

Why? Because it doesn't really matter who runs the government. The End Times are coming and all the signs are there, just look, so gently caress governing and get right with the LORD because the Rapture is coming soon and you don't wanna be here (Left Behind.)

One of my favorite pieces of writing on the rapture and PMD is a piece over on the Slacktivist blog at Patheos, which I can't find right this second but will keep looking for. It basically says that by writing Left Behind and bringing awareness of the Scofieldian "prophecy" to the masses, LaHaye and Jenkins actually prevented it from occurring, because now if anything like that happens people are going to know what it is immediately.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Radish posted:

:airquote: "Christians".

They're not Christians, they're vengeful, retributive, spiteful, Old Testament authoritarian fascists.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 24, 2016

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

razorrozar posted:

One of my favorite pieces of writing on the rapture and PMD is a piece over on the Slacktivist blog at Patheos, which I can't find right this second but will keep looking for. It basically says that by writing Left Behind and bringing awareness of the Scofieldian "prophecy" to the masses, LaHaye and Jenkins actually prevented it from occurring, because now if anything like that happens people are going to know what it is immediately.

Found it: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2014/10/03/bad-theology-makes-for-bad-movies-left-behind-is-a-story-with-no-place-for-real-humans/

In case you're unfamiliar, Fred Clark, the author of that blog, has been dissecting and discussing how lovely Left Behind is for over ten years and it's extremely informative and entertaining.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

Found it: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2014/10/03/bad-theology-makes-for-bad-movies-left-behind-is-a-story-with-no-place-for-real-humans/

In case you're unfamiliar, Fred Clark, the author of that blog, has been dissecting and discussing how lovely Left Behind is for over ten years and it's extremely informative and entertaining.
Thanks! I look forward to reading this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

For once, Glenn Beck is not wrong. hosed up thing is, he doesn't realize how his role in dispensing media and disseminating "information" helped create this phenomenon.

No he does know, maybe,. Beck was a troll that drank the kool aid. Like there's an anicient piece from Obama's 1st term where he paid some lip service to the wingnut rage machine and his role and other talking head roles. Then 5 seconds later it's -n-word, -n-word, -n-word, -n-word, -n-word, -n-word, -n-word.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

ErIog posted:

My point wasn't that it's unprecedented. My point is that primary voters are more likely to care that a Rubio nomination would go against some of the rhetoric being spouted about Obama in 2008.

Lmao, maybe as a fed line from some half thinky blog as justification, but certainly not spontaneously. GOP primary voters don't need any extra reasons for hating the young and inexperienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just keep recalling how Beck and Hannity both just immediately jumped on Obama within a matter of minutes.

Glenn Beck was accusing him of being a socialist/nazi/communist while he was marching in his inauguration parade. Hannity made that stupid video of his first 100 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35eRxxZ-Ar0

They brought this all on themselves with their idiotic sensationalism and flat out lies.

This is awful to say, and I know I'm risking him being near office. But you know what? I'm cheering for Trump to keep trolling these idiots.