Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

The scariest thing is that Republicans are now apparently more about ideological purity than winning. They'd rather have Trump lose than Rubio win.

Rubio would be destroyed by Hillary, he's woefully unprepared and even he knows it. This was never supposed to be a real election for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Pope Guilty posted:

Christianity to the sort of person who loves Trump isn't about reading the words of Christ, maybe alongside some writings on those words, and going "well here's what Jesus said, better live by it". You remember that thing awhile back where a reporter talked to fresh ISIS recruits and none of them know a goddamned thing about Islam and the Koran and when asked what Islam is responded "our lives"? That's a huge, huge constituency here as long as you swap Christianity for Islam. Loving violence both physical and structural against the weak and the poor is their culture, and Christianity is their culture, so why should they see any trouble reconciling fascism and racism with Christianity? All the word means to them is "me and those like me" anyway.

Can you link to this? I must have missed that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pope Guilty posted:

Christianity to the sort of person who loves Trump isn't about reading the words of Christ, maybe alongside some writings on those words, and going "well here's what Jesus said, better live by it". You remember that thing awhile back where a reporter talked to fresh ISIS recruits and none of them know a goddamned thing about Islam and the Koran and when asked what Islam is responded "our lives"? That's a huge, huge constituency here as long as you swap Christianity for Islam. Loving violence both physical and structural against the weak and the poor is their culture, and Christianity is their culture, so why should they see any trouble reconciling fascism and racism with Christianity? All the word means to them is "me and those like me" anyway.

This is why the Republicans have terrified me for so long. They're essentially a large hate group whipped into a frenzy over any excuse to be the powerful ones pushing others around while paying lip service to God as if it absolves them. They've been trained to follow their authority figures without questioning so long as they spew more venom. They look more like a cult than any form of political group and it just seems to be getting more and more extreme. Meanwhile, they have just enough residual legitimacy that people don't even question them.

That's what gets me most of all: that all this bigotry and hatred of any non-white rich groups has become the new normal.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Evangelicals thought they were in control of the party because of how much screaming there was about abortion and the gays. However, most of what the GOP was doing on morality and faith-based government was lip service to keep the fundies on their side. It turns out that the core of the party was not theocracy but fascism. Whoops!

Trump doing the best suddenly blindsides them with the fact that they are not in charge and never were. The thing of it is the right very likely knew that abortion and the gays were losing battles that they would never, ever win. Now that Trump is up there doing so well based almost entirely on xenophobia and hatred they're being confronted with how awful and mean their party actually is and evangelicals don't like that. They want to play themselves up as the party of morality but Trump is just an indicator that they're increasingly a party of avarice and spite.

Not that it will matter long-term. Unless the Republicans drop all pretense and follow Trump into becoming organized entirely around bigotry and bullying, eventually they'll bleat out some platitudes about Jesus and get their voters right back after the election.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 25, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Can you link to this? I must have missed that.

I'm struggling to Google it- there's a bunch of similar stuff but the article's not coming up.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Rubio would be destroyed by Hillary, he's woefully unprepared and even he knows it. This was never supposed to be a real election for him.

Yeah it's worth taking a step back sometimes and recognizing just how off-script this GOP primary has gone. If you told anyone back in May 2015 that Jeb Bush and Scott Walker would be out of the race by Super Tuesday and that Rubio would be clinging for dear life against Ted Cruz and an utterly dominant Donald Trump they would have told you to gently caress right off.

Rubio was basically in the race to get his feet wet and audition for the veep slot if he played his cards right, and now he's all that stands between the GOP presidential ticket and a fascistic celebrity blowhard or a theocratic bomb-throwing rear end in a top hat.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.terryrobertsonforcongress.com/issues/

This guy has a couple of signs out where I live. If you want the face of what modern conservatism looks like? Check out his policies.

Incredible. He gets to cite the bible for denying women abortions and ensuring gays don't get married. But for healthcare? "gently caress you you're on your own. "

quote:

"We need to be out of the UN. We are a sovereign nation, they have no authority over us and do not have our best interest at heart. We need to kick them off our soil as well. No more paying for them to come stay here."

"50% of this country should not be getting a hand-out from the government. A security net is meant to help people get back on their feet, not cripple them and make them dependent on the government. I am all for drug testing and work programs if you are receiving tax dollars."

I am a STRONG supporter of our Military. They should have the equipment and manpower necessary for the job. I support them when and wherever they go. We MUST also take care of our Veterans. Healthcare for them isn't a gift, IT'S OWED TO THEM. Fix the VA. ( Want to know what Government run healthcare looks like?? Take a look at the VA)

My brain hurts.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's a lot of fun living in a country where you can get elected by repeating the greatest hits of a freep email chain.

I don't even really begrudge people for believing this poo poo anymore, because its America and you can believe whatever crazy poo poo you want, but to get fooled by such lazy rear end rote recitation of such weak tea? Shame.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ron Jeremy posted:

The guy who used 9/11 to invade the wrong loving country didn't tank the conservative brand. Why would this?

Because Bush played ball and the Bush administration had the GOP backing them. Trump doesn't really have the GOP behind him, and he is definitely causing a schism among voters, so if he fails catastrophically, he will basically be taking the party down with him because they will all be blaming each other.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a lot of fun living in a country where you can get elected by repeating the greatest hits of a freep email chain.

I don't even really begrudge people for believing this poo poo anymore, because its America and you can believe whatever crazy poo poo you want, but to get fooled by such lazy rear end rote recitation of such weak tea? Shame.

The GOP learned they can't win on facts or logic, so they decided to make dogma instead. So their candidate spew their holy tenants and get their well-trained congregation out to prove themselves at the polls.

Some days I wonder what politics would look like if logic or evidence had any impact on republicans anymore.

ToastyPotato posted:

Because Bush played ball and the Bush administration had the GOP backing them. Trump doesn't really have the GOP behind him, and he is definitely causing a schism among voters, so if he fails catastrophically, he will basically be taking the party down with him because they will all be blaming each other.

This time they'd actually be right to do so. Trump's campaign is the hideous chimera of decades worth of their tactics.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I did not expect Walsh to sound like 60 year old chain smoker.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think Walker flaming out early was not surprising. If you've been following Wisconsin you know he's a dopey looking moron that is also openly corrupt. He got a lot of credit for destroying the state to make it another Koch wunderland but really he benefited for not being known on a national level other than "that guy that beat a recall and hosed over the evil unions." The media was trying to sell him as a rising star but there's no shining that turd and it was obvious to the primary voters he wasn't going anywhere. JEB failing fantastically was really surprising but I don't follow Florida politics so maybe people who live there knew he was such a loser.

On the subject of the Evangelicals one of the greatest cons was how they basically got it so that it was politically incorrect to point out that they were much more interested in racism, xenophobia, and controlling others than almost anything positive in the Christian religion. Seeing them freak out now that Trump's popularity is showing everyone what they are really interested in doing (South Carolina seems to be a big shocker for religious zealot fuckers like Walsh) is a great part of this election. There was some talk prior to South Carolina that Trump being a huge rear end in a top hat that used foul language was a turn off to them and he'd do poorly because they respected politeness or some such bull and look how that turned out.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 25, 2016

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Radish posted:

On the subject of the Evangelicals one of the greatest cons was how they basically got it so that it was politically incorrect to point out that they were much more interested in racism, xenophobia, and controlling others than almost anything positive in the Christian religion. Seeing them freak out now that Trump's popularity is showing everyone what they are really interested in doing (South Carolina seems to be a big shocker for religious zealot fuckers like Walsh) is a great part of this election. There was some talk prior to South Carolina that Trump being a huge rear end in a top hat that used foul language was a turn off to them and he'd do poorly because they respected politeness or some such bull and look how that turned out.

Dissembling is an essential survival trait of the modern American bigot, but they hatehatehate that they have to do it. They long for the chance to tell all those brown, gay, and lady types exactly what they think. Trump is to them what the Good Guy with a Gun is to second amendment wackjobs; the embodiment of all their bitter fantasies.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

gently caress Right Wing media for dumbly wondering where "civility" went when something like this exists.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Mark_Levin#The_Mark_Levin_lexicon

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tercio posted:

gently caress Right Wing media for dumbly wondering where "civility" went when something like this exists.

Lmao he's a child.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

JEB failing fantastically was really surprising but I don't follow Florida politics so maybe people who live there knew he was such a loser.

As far as I can tell (as someone who works with Floridians), he was a bit of a petty tyrant but not obviously more of a goober than half of the rest of Florida state politicians. Certainly not much reason to believe he'd shatter / ooze quietly to pieces under the pressure.

Also, Rick Scott is current governor and considerably more cartoonish, so that might have altered some people's perception of the Jeb! legacy.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tercio posted:

He tries so desperately to come up with catchy trendsetter nicknames like Rush does. Instead his stuff is all sounds like a 2nd grader calling someone else a poopyhead.

That's why my old Levin bingo card alternated the free space between "unclever nickname" and "dominates argument with tape recorder"

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
This poo poo goes waaaay back.

I remember reading this book for an ethics class:

Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter 1966

It's a political science/sociology essay about the trend of Anti-Intellectualism and how ironically it came about by Intellectuals.

Religious Fundies like the Puritans came over here to practice freely. Then to ensure that their clergy/leaders were properly educated about God so they founded seminaries that would later become Princeton, Harvard, Yale.

A few generations later graduates of these seminaries were expected to branch out and start more settlements - bringing their education with them. A few generations after that, the people of these other settlements had no link with the seminaries and started to believe that they didn't NEED the seminaries to be in touch with their God.

A few generations after that the Great Awakening happened, and the concept of everyone has an individual relationship with God became extremely popular - so much so that preachers would feel that they didn't even need to be trained at a seminary, "why do I if I already have a relationship with God."

Fast forward to now and we have "Christians" who don't know anything about the New Testament and misquote the Bible all the time.

And NOBODY likes being told they are wrong particularly if their worldview is brought to question.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Radish posted:

The funny thing is it's not like these evangelical guys are actually turned off by Trump's language and behavior, here's one of the most vocal anti-Trump evangelicals just a couple months ago.

https://twitter.com/SteveDeaceShow/status/676943244916359168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

They just dislike how he's not aiming his rage at the godless sodomites and abortionists like he ought to be, and that evangelical voters are still voting for him in spite of that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's sad. Even the GOP Representative we have representing our part of the state in the US congress? Good man. As is the State Representative who's actually get's along quite well with the teacher's union. They're legitimately fiscally conservative and not in a "gently caress THE POORS" type of way.

This guy just comes across as insane.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's sad. Even the GOP Representative we have representing our part of the state in the US congress? Good man. As is the State Representative who's actually get's along quite well with the teacher's union. They're legitimately fiscally conservative and not in a "gently caress THE POORS" type of way.

This guy just comes across as insane.

There might have been a place for no-poo poo actual conservatism back when that was a mental framework that meant "Hey let's not throw the entire system on the bonfire overnight and break everything, we need to be measured and careful while we work towards a solution". There may in fact even be a place for that kind of thinking today, at the very least as a presence in any kind of informed debate.

We don't have informed debate in America, we have the WWF cage match reality TV that Trump has turned political debates into and a "free press" that is either concerned about what makes them the most money on their next quarterly earnings report or what their network's billionaire sugar daddy emailed them to talk about today. That conservative mental model as a guideline for thinking about solutions to problems today is as out of place with the people who call themselves conservatives in the US as a pile of warm cow poo poo in a five star gourmet restaurant. They've long since given up caring about the hard work of solutions in favor of draping themselves in a flag and xenophobic hate speech to get the quick payoff of easy votes today, screw tomorrow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Joe Scarborough thinks the financial records of a man running on his business acumen are entirely irrelevant.

Now where would anyone ever get the crazy idea that you were in the tank for Trump there, Joe?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All of the businessmen/women running for President are notorious for tanking companies that were under their control.

For example:
- Trump declaring bankruptcy more than a few times.
- Carly Fiornia being a "successful" CEO of HP (includes stolen valor from stock gains and employee numbers from after once she was poo poo canned).
- Mitt Romney's venture Bain Capital was incredibly successful... At buying companies, gutting them for all of their worth, and then letting them to die on the vine.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I did not expect Walsh to sound like 60 year old chain smoker.

He also looks a lot different than in his choice photos.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Where's his tattoo?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SumYungGui posted:

We don't have informed debate in America, we have the WWF cage match reality TV that Trump has turned political debates into and a "free press" that is either concerned about what makes them the most money on their next quarterly earnings report or what their network's billionaire sugar daddy emailed them to talk about today.

Trump didn't do this by himself. He's just the end result and, if he wins, he's really gonna be the end result. If anything, I'd say the popularity of someone like Donald Trump has very much to do with the generational aspect surrounding the proliferation of RWM as "entertainment" when they gently caress up and "information" when they sort of kind of might have a point, as Rush or my Father In law occasionally do.

Trump is the end result of repeatedly doubling down, combined with willful ignorance and the selective interpretations of the teachings of Jesus Christ; attempting to create and force feed a harmonious relationship between the inherent greed, fear, racism and xenophobia that's in their hearts with the idea that the Bible is the one true word of God. It must really suck to be a die hard conservative Republican. I can't imagine there's much happiness to be found there.

I don't throw this accusation around lightly, but Trump really does remind me of Hitler.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

Tercio posted:

This is realIy primary school level stuff but I can see how most of the names on this list could (tenuously) have been a target of Levin's bile. But Cris Collinsworth?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Next up, we'll watch the story of an innocent True Christian being persecuted just for demanding some dangerous coloreds from risking poisoning his water fountains with their filthy lips when he graciously set up a garden hose out back.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

They do! A gay baker would face similar charges/fines if they refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

I would reply to him myself but he blocked me for calling out the homoerotic nature of his book title :( Thicken your skin, big man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Poor, persecuted Christian (white males).

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

geegee posted:

This is realIy primary school level stuff but I can see how most of the names on this list could (tenuously) have been a target of Levin's bile. But Cris Collinsworth?

Video seems to have been scrubbed from youtube, but maybe this?

http://deadspin.com/5357994/cris-collinsworth-likes-his-ladies-very-young-and-extremely-stupid

Didn't look very hard, but it's a shame the video isn't there. Saw it when it surfaced a few years ago, and It's so drat Matthew McConaughey from Dazed and Confused that it really needs to be seen.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.terryrobertsonforcongress.com/issues/

This guy has a couple of signs out where I live. If you want the face of what modern conservatism looks like? Check out his policies.

Incredible. He gets to cite the bible for denying women abortions and ensuring gays don't get married. But for healthcare? "gently caress you you're on your own. "

My brain hurts.

Man, I need to run on this platform and just be a huge liberal once I get elected. It's not like people pay much attention to their Congressional reps once they're elected anyway.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Phone posted:

All of the businessmen/women running for President are notorious for tanking companies that were under their control.

For example:
- Trump declaring bankruptcy more than a few times.
- Carly Fiornia being a "successful" CEO of HP (includes stolen valor from stock gains and employee numbers from after once she was poo poo canned).
- Mitt Romney's venture Bain Capital was incredibly successful... At buying companies, gutting them for all of their worth, and then letting them to die on the vine.

Can't wait for Trump to think that the best way to deal with the U.S. national debt is to declare bankruptcy and refinance. Sure to work fine. :jerkbag:

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

Video seems to have been scrubbed from youtube, but maybe this?

http://deadspin.com/5357994/cris-collinsworth-likes-his-ladies-very-young-and-extremely-stupid

Didn't look very hard, but it's a shame the video isn't there. Saw it when it surfaced a few years ago, and It's so drat Matthew McConaughey from Dazed and Confused that it really needs to be seen.

Humph! Thanks. Looks like I should get out more.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

My favorite part of this outrage is when they're all "should a Jewish baker have to make a cake with swastikas?!" like a gay wedding cake is covered in dicks and not visually indistinguishable from any other wedding cake.

It's the most unsympathetic whining I can think of.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rick_Hunter posted:

Can't wait for Trump to think that the best way to deal with the U.S. national debt is to declare bankruptcy and refinance. Sure to work fine. :jerkbag:

If he does that he can negotiate a $10 billion fee for doing it in the first place. What's the problem?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mr. mephistopheles posted:

My favorite part of this outrage is when they're all "should a Jewish baker have to make a cake with swastikas?!" like a gay wedding cake is covered in dicks and not visually indistinguishable from any other wedding cake.

I dunno what gay weddings you've been to, but :raise:

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Next thing you know we won't be able to deny women service during their unclean times.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's the most unsympathetic whining I can think of.

My favorite is the people who tried this by actually asking for a swastika cake and were told "we'll bake you a plain cake like we'd do for anyone else and sell you the materials to decorate it however you want", oh look there is an adult way to handle this situation after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If you do want a cake covered in dicks, I think my dad went to a baker that did stuff like that back in like the '80s so I'm sure someone could hook you up.