Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Nohearum posted:

I've been looking to purchase a C30...I hope this isn't a common thing with these cars.

Has anyone seen any decent 6MT C30's for sale? Just missed out on a beautiful 2008 T5 with 51k miles that I'm kicking myself for missing.

I'm not saying a piece of laminated curved glass *wouldn't* self destruct in the cold but if it was a common issue no one in Canada would have rear windows.

-38C air temp again this morning; window intact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My XC40 finally "showed up" at the dealership today, I ordered it on August 19th.

There are pictures of the car online at the dealer's lot from at least 10 days ago, including one of my VIN plate in a for sale listing of the car on said dealership's website. I'm not happy at all. I'm debating on taking ownership of the car at all at this point.

I can't say I'd recommend custom ordering a car from Volvo if this what is to be expected.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If there is mileage on it because they’ve been driving it I would be pissed

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Partycat posted:

If there is mileage on it because they’ve been driving it I would be pissed

If there are double digit miles on the car I'm not taking it or they're going to start knocking five figure chunks off of the sticker price.

I have a bad feeling that they've been using it as a test drive car.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So I had some injectors fail on my V60 cross country and it was dumping raw fuel out of the exhaust.
Thank god I bought the extended warranty. The tech at the dealer said he’s never seen anything like that in 20 years, he said he pulled the injectors and they were pouring fuel.
Of course it was mega cold and had snow everywhere, and I had to drive the rwd genesis instead of the awd Volvo in the snow and ice so that was fun. I’ll post again when it’s outta the shop and let you guys know the extent of the carnage and total dollar amount my warranty paid.

Here is a pic of it on my brothers car trailer. The dealership was in a hurry to get it to the back because it didn’t look great being so new and on a trailer right outside the showroom.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That makes me feel so good that I got that exact same vehicle as a CPO.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Shrapnig posted:

If there are double digit miles on the car I'm not taking it or they're going to start knocking five figure chunks off of the sticker price.

I have a bad feeling that they've been using it as a test drive car.

If it's a brand new order...anything more than 5-10 miles, I'd be pissed.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Animal posted:

That makes me feel so good that I got that exact same vehicle as a CPO.

I bought mine new, and put 75k on it since the middle of 2016. I drove out the warranty, I knew I was going to and bought the extended. I think this is the time it pays for itself.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
What kind of options are there for extended warrentees? Mine is the old 7 years/100k miles CPO but I’m going to drive past 100k faster then the time runs out.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Paging LloydDobler or IOwnCalculus I guess...

Why were some of the 200 series estate wagons called slicktops? Or smooth tops?

I've seen them referred to this way on TB.com, but I can't sort out why. Apparently my 87 falls under this category of wagon tops...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

No sunroof or roof rack. That's all. It's actually a fairly new slang. I'd never heard it until a few years ago. Of course, a majority of 240 wagons had no sunroof, in my 240 days I only saw one and it was aftermarket.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 245 with a sunroof either. Nor have I seen one that had a cloth interior.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

alternate.eago posted:

So I had some injectors fail on my V60 cross country and it was dumping raw fuel out of the exhaust.
Thank god I bought the extended warranty. The tech at the dealer said he’s never seen anything like that in 20 years, he said he pulled the injectors and they were pouring fuel.
Of course it was mega cold and had snow everywhere, and I had to drive the rwd genesis instead of the awd Volvo in the snow and ice so that was fun. I’ll post again when it’s outta the shop and let you guys know the extent of the carnage and total dollar amount my warranty paid.

Here is a pic of it on my brothers car trailer. The dealership was in a hurry to get it to the back because it didn’t look great being so new and on a trailer right outside the showroom.

So got it back from the dealer, 4 out of 5 injectors failed. The service advisor and the tech both said they had never seen that before. They were literally dripping/pouring is how it was described. Total cost for me was new spark plugs, because they’re a maintenance item. Even though I just had them done like 9k miles ago (about 65k miles) when a coil failed.
With this and when the coil failed, my extended warranty has nearly paid for itself.
Here’s the relevant page from the papers....

Edit:

The Meat Dimension posted:

What kind of options are there for extended warrentees? Mine is the old 7 years/100k miles CPO but I’m going to drive past 100k faster then the time runs out.

I bought a Toyotacare warranty because the dealer I go to for service also owns a Toyota franchise, and the Toyota warranty was significantly less than the Volvo one. I think it’s biased on the price of the car. So the Toyota one was like 3k, the Volvo one was like 4600 or something. And it’s for a $0 deductible warranty that extends coverage out to 125k miles, or like 7 years, but time was less important than mileage because of how much I drive.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 11, 2019

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Frightening that a brand new Volvo, costing in excess of $30,000 dollars total, has bigger, more destructive mechanical failures than my 30 year old Volvo 240 that cost $2k.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

This seems more like someone hosed up putting things back together during previous maintenance, or maybe even during assembly.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So the R is now officially a 2nd car for Road Trips and Weekend Adventures.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I had some fun doing things to my R that weren't necessary today. First, it passed emissions on the new motor, which is great. Then, I changed up the lighting so that the DRLs are on without the running lights, and that the headlights are only on when I turn them on. I was getting annoyed with the very expensive Xenon lights coming on when I started the car with the sun shade in the windshield or if I stopped at a traffic light in an underpass. Next I'm going to get some cool white or blue DRL bulbs so my blue car doesn't have off-yellow DRLs. I also finally tracked down and eliminated a rattle in the passenger door panel during deep bass excursion. The entire passenger door module was loose in its plastic snap-in bracket. I moved it up and tightened the screw, then jammed a bunch of foam under it. No noise, even when the stereo is cranked! That one's been annoying me for the full 2 years I've owned this car.

Also I've decided that before the summer I'm going to vinyl wrap my C70 into some outrageous color. I'm thinking a bright blue metallic like sonic blue, but I could be convinced to go yellow or red, just to be extra BOOM.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Metallic cream yellow

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

Metallic cream yellow

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Metallic cream yellow

not a robot, but same.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

The entire passenger door module was loose in its plastic snap-in bracket. I moved it up and tightened the screw, then jammed a bunch of foam under it. No noise, even when the stereo is cranked! That one's been annoying me for the full 2 years I've owned this car.

I have a similar problem going on....was it the back right side door by chance? Whenever I'm driving around there's a rattle noise that when I lean the ice scraper against the door, it mostly goes away. Been trying to figure that one out for a while.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So looks like I am now the proud owner of a 2009 Volvo V50 with 75k miles. Planned usage is as a beater to drive our dog around in/take to the grocery store on occasion. Anything I should know about this thing? Is it going to be a PITA to own?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

They're pretty great cars and are reliable with a few chronic issues. Watch the coolant like a motherfucker, there's no warning light if it's low so if you lose it you blow the motor pretty much instantly. And there's a hose with a funky 4 way joint that always fails. Replace it early and often. And the trick to getting the air box out of the car is to loosen the passenger side motor mount and jack the engine up about an inch. You'll fight it for an hour if you don't do that, but pop it right out and in if you do. The V50 subforum on swedespeed is a great reference, they were a long running ('05-'12) and popular car with very few changes over the years. I got one for my daughter and she loves it.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?54-S40-amp-V50-(2005-2012) There's a start here thread and a DIY/FAQ thread that are both worth reading. You technically have a couple years before the timing belt is due but I believe in changing them early. Also inspect the two accessory belts, if they go they like to wrap up around the crank and throw the timing belt too, which also junks the engine. But keep them fresh and you'll be fine.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

They're pretty great cars and are reliable with a few chronic issues. Watch the coolant like a motherfucker, there's no warning light if it's low so if you lose it you blow the motor pretty much instantly. And there's a hose with a funky 4 way joint that always fails. Replace it early and often. And the trick to getting the air box out of the car is to loosen the passenger side motor mount and jack the engine up about an inch. You'll fight it for an hour if you don't do that, but pop it right out and in if you do. The V50 subforum on swedespeed is a great reference, they were a long running ('05-'12) and popular car with very few changes over the years. I got one for my daughter and she loves it.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?54-S40-amp-V50-(2005-2012) There's a start here thread and a DIY/FAQ thread that are both worth reading. You technically have a couple years before the timing belt is due but I believe in changing them early. Also inspect the two accessory belts, if they go they like to wrap up around the crank and throw the timing belt too, which also junks the engine. But keep them fresh and you'll be fine.

Oxphocker posted:

I have a similar problem going on....was it the back right side door by chance? Whenever I'm driving around there's a rattle noise that when I lean the ice scraper against the door, it mostly goes away. Been trying to figure that one out for a while.

No, front passenger door. But the construction on all 4 is pretty much the same, so yeah. Once you lick the rattles the stereo sounds awesome in these.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Also I've decided that before the summer I'm going to vinyl wrap my C70 into some outrageous color. I'm thinking a bright blue metallic like sonic blue, but I could be convinced to go yellow or red, just to be extra BOOM.

Why, Polestar blue ofc. The official name is 619 Rebel Blue, btw.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I don't hate rebel blue but a lot of guys are doing it. I see mustangs and subarus in that color, and I kind of want a 1 of a kind.

I think I have to stick to something in the gray/blue family because I have a blue ragtop. Although yellow would still work, and be interesting due to swedish flag colors.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 2, 2019

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

I don't hate rebel blue but a lot of guys are doing it. I see mustangs and subarus in that color, and I kind of want a 1 of a kind.

I think I have to stick to something in the gray/blue family because I have a blue ragtop. Although yellow would still work, and be interesting due to swedish flag colors.

It doesn't pop as much as rebel blue, but 704 Vibrant Copper is also very nice in the flesh imo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Learned today . I did brakes on my XC60 - there is factory thread locker on the fronts , some pink poo poo that was annoying. Rear didn’t seem to have that.

18mm front bolts on the bracket , some sort of hex on the caliper pins I ignored . 15mm bracket bolts on the rear, 13mm caliper bolts.

My work laptop ran out of battery by “updating” overnight so I couldn’t run VIDA. I did the 12v battery method on the rear electric parking brake and ran it all the way back.

Pro tip - don’t run it all the way in , or use the battery to run it out before you finish. I had left the brake engaged, so the car thought I needed to unset the brake which it couldn’t do, and threw a service error. The car beeps a lot and angrily while driving like this since it thinks the brake is engaged.

I drove to the office, charged my computer, and ran the install check on the brakes and it’s fine now.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anybody know where I can find the the major service intervals for an xc90? The owners manual isn’t helpful and the dealer I go to is real secret squirrel about it and loves to “surprise” me with some 1500 dollar must do service.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manuals/ownersmanualinfo/year/2005/model/XC90

Their website has all the documentation on it. Just search by vehicle. I guessed 05 but you can switch it to whatever on that link.

Also change the oil more frequently than they suggest, you'll thank me later. Also all drivetrain fluids.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My temp gauge just decided to flake out.
Torque shows ~200f so i know there is data, and this is after 30min of driving.

Is there a VIDA reset procedure for the instrument cluster or is there something deeper I should probe?
The VIDA interface is not intuitive in the least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Although yellow would still work, and be interesting due to swedish flag colors.

Wrap it like the Swedish flag and call it the General Thor?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wrap it like the Swedish flag and call it the General Thor?

I'd be more partial to General Odin but yeah something like that.

toplitzin posted:

My temp gauge just decided to flake out.
Torque shows ~200f so i know there is data, and this is after 30min of driving.

Is there a VIDA reset procedure for the instrument cluster or is there something deeper I should probe?
The VIDA interface is not intuitive in the least.

You can do full gauge sweeps to verify gauge function. People sell gauge clusters all the time so it shouldn't be too hard to find if it's the gauge itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0eG2bdeue0

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 9, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

I'd be more partial to General Odin but yeah something like that.

You can do full gauge sweeps to verify gauge function. People sell gauge clusters all the time so it shouldn't be too hard to find if it's the gauge itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0eG2bdeue0

Well I did that and the needle done swept.
Guess I'll just have to log with Torque for a while and keep an eye on it.
I changed the clock to 24hr while i was in there though. So I've got that going for me. :confuoot:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
When I got to the grocery store this evening, I noticed my indicator lamp was hanging by its wire. Turns out, the retaining clip must've gotten brittle with age and snapped when I hit a bump. The cool part is that the part that broke off was still stuck to the spring, and Volvo thought to even put a label on part, telling me that it's ABS. How helpful!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone wanna buy a well maintained S60R?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Anyone wanna buy a well maintained S60R?

Might want to include some details there bucko....
Year, condition, photos, region of country, price, etc....

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oxphocker posted:

Might want to include some details there bucko....
Year, condition, photos, region of country, price, etc....

pffft, who wants things like details. we are a bunch of insane people.

07, 6MT, well maintained but definitely used, in NC.
The last 07 S60R with almost matching miles went for $13k on BaT.
107k, maintenance records back to 32k. Purchased in CO in 2015 with ~56k.
Electric silver with Gobi/Black interior.
If you want to see all the work there's posts in this thread, but the list is:
New timing belt, water pump, coil packs, plugs, complete PCV system replacement, clutch, flywheel, slave cyl, ToB, angle gear coupling, transfer case, 4c shocks, control arms, pads and rotors, Android Auto head unit w/ b/u cam. (all done at about 100k) I probably missed something.
IPD turboback, and the DP is jet-hot coated.

Cons:
drivers seat leather is aging a bit.
passenger side air vent adjustment popped out.
It's a P2.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I can vouch for Top's P2R being very clean and well cared for. It also has a few goodies already installed.

Also I'ma be sad if he sells it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I felt bad for helping you buy it when it wasn't perfect on delivery, but I guess you don't drive a car you hate for 4 years so I guess it worked out.

I'm 2 years and way too much cash into mine and I love/hate it really strongly right now. I'm on the verge of selling it but it's finally got no problems so I can't.