Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this isn't really anything new to hitman games though, there are generally large swathes of the area where the target(s) aren't present on any given map

that being said i wish there was a way to lure zaydan to the cafe for his meal (instead of bringing it to him) or explore the map and get claus outside the embassy

for hokkaido the fact there's only one real target means i don't feel like i have lots of things i can set up

gently caress colorado, too flat, though i have to admit they make excellent use of the space and nowhere feels wasted. that might just be because there's 4 targets - maybe future levels should have more targets!

sapienza is a great place, really wish the targets had opportunities that got them out of the mansion (detective only counts as 1) and if shooting the virus from long range wasn't the clearly optimal strategy

bangkok... ken morgan is the shittiest target, worse even than soders. he just walks around in a circle and maybe you poison him or whatever? if he didn't exist there would be no reason to explore the southern hotel area at all, but if you kill him on his standard route that still holds true

paris is good. novikov patrols everywhere and has lots of opportunities, while the top floor gives you a closed room puzzle and gives you some risky choices on how to get out (attic or scaling the balcony or trying to grab a disguise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Everyone hates Ken Morgan but Jordan Cross pushing him off the balcony is a stellar assassination.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

gtrmp posted:

If you're defending a level's design not on the basis of how well the actual mission that it was built around plays but on the basis of potential future content that could be added to it, you might be missing the forest for the trees.

I think it's fair to separate criticism/ratings into maps and missions. Marrakesh is a good map but a bad (main) mission.

Aug 24, 2011

The Mash posted:

I think it's fair to separate criticism/ratings into maps and missions. Marrakesh is a good map but a bad (main) mission.

i think colorado and bangkok were bad maps, colorado was a good mission but bangkok was a bad mission. i found that the two wings of bangkok's hotel area literally just being mirrored took away a lot of the interest for me, and the inability to go behind the hotel was a further detriment

i like all the other maps, sapienza/paris top tier

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Further disappointment that the wing not filled with musicians is just empty bar some servants.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there any good guide for mastery levels (basic, not pro obviously)? On Wikia there's a list for how to efficiently do the challenges/opportunities, but maybe someone put together easy paths chaining them together and possibly mentioning those "smart hard saves"?

Aug 24, 2011

orcane posted:

Is there any good guide for mastery levels (basic, not pro obviously)? On Wikia there's a list for how to efficiently do the challenges/opportunities, but maybe someone put together easy paths chaining them together and possibly mentioning those "smart hard saves"?

google hitman speedrun mastery there are videos

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

This game has one inexcusable flaw and it's the fact that the voice actress for the party girl doesn't say "IN DA FRESH" with an accent when talking to Novikov in Paris

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

New update of some sort?

Aug 24, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

New update of some sort?

nothing here

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Jack Trades posted:

New update of some sort?

The soundtrack and documentary?

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

I see it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

nexus6 posted:

The soundtrack and documentary?

Oh yeah. That's it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah, I think Pro mode isn't for me. The lack of saving and tiny, tiny margins for error are really bad. There's good repetition and bad repetition and it's pretty bad.

I'm glad they released it though. Neat. Fun for the ultra-super-hardcore. Wish you could save more.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The saving more is the main stumbling block for me. That said, I've figured out how to handle/parcel out saves in Sapienza. I think the others will come with time.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I feel it's more re-learning the maps more than anything else. Not exactly a big hurdle.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://gfycat.com/OrnateUntriedAlligatorgar

uhh Sanguine might wanna choose a place with more solid floors next time

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

The shuffled levels in pro mode make a nice change and I like having disguises ruined since it can make things more hectic when you're being chased by guards and can't simply run around a corner, gun someone down and steal their clothes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

orcane posted:

Just do challenges. Escalations also grant mastery.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

As dumb as it would be, I'd really like some sort of fast forward (?) mechanic. With how many challenges the game has, it's kinda boring to stand there blending in for minutes after you already set up an assassination

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Got all the challenges on Paris pro. It actually went pretty quickly once I figured out a couple adjustments to my normal routine around the level. Escalating from a first floor disguise to a second floor one is definitely the biggest challenge bump, so things fell much quicker once I unlocked the tech crew location.

For SOSA I started in the auction, ran down one floor and pilfered the fireworks remote. Then since that can't get through a frisk I made my way to the opposite end and up the ladder, through the attic and over to the balcony to push Dahlia onto Victor. Also had to be careful not to get spotted by the new patio cameras on the way out.

I actually like the pro cameras a lot. That may be mainly because I don't care about SA on the story missions until my SOSA run, so they don't interfere with casually running around in a safe outfit.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It feels weird that with how powerful pro cameras are that you can still totally bypass them by shooting the recorder with zero repercussions. I make a habit of shooting the recorder anyway because it's easier than worrying about camera placement too much, and that goes doubly now that there are so many more cameras.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

As dumb as it would be, I'd really like some sort of fast forward (?) mechanic. With how many challenges the game has, it's kinda boring to stand there blending in for minutes after you already set up an assassination

Yeah, I wish Hitman has MGSV's Phantom Cigar.

Aug 24, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

https://gfycat.com/OrnateUntriedAlligatorgar

uhh Sanguine might wanna choose a place with more solid floors next time

if you wait until the guard on the right turns to face the fireworks on the right, you can push her without crime noticed and get SASO

Eggnogium posted:

For SOSA I started in the auction, ran down one floor and pilfered the fireworks remote. Then since that can't get through a frisk I made my way to the opposite end and up the ladder, through the attic and over to the balcony to push Dahlia onto Victor. Also had to be careful not to get spotted by the new patio cameras on the way out.

i watched kotti do it with a battleaxe - if you start at default, go down the trespassing servant stairs beneath the main hall stairway (where novikov starts), there's a camera in these stairs so shoot that out as well, on the left there's the recording room (and a guard who stands in the hallway but just wait for him to move) and you can shoot the recording device

after that you run past the kitchens to the kitchen stairs to go to the second floor, subdue the guy for the fireworks remote (and dump him of course), then into that room where that one auction staff guy checks his phone (on pro mode there is a guard there too). instead go to the balcony, this is where i saved my game, use the fireworks remote and on your left facing out from the balcony, climb the pipe up to the auction (even though you have no invite, this is not trespassing). push dahlia off once novikov is underneath and the guard near the gas heater is not looking, then head back down the stairs to the kitchen and exit through the catacombs

also you don't need to get the remote through a frisk, there is an open window to the left of the frisk stairs going up to the auction, they do not give a poo poo if you climb out of it and up the pipe

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 4, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I wish Hitman has MGSV's Phantom Cigar.
For Marakkesh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I feel like it would make sense for them to bring back independent camera systems for Pro.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

For all the extra attention guards will pay to poo poo in pro they still 100% do not give a gently caress about the bald guy climbing pipes, jumping out of windows, and shimmying balcony ledges.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

where the red fern gropes posted:

also you don't need to get the remote through a frisk, there is an open window to the left of the frisk stairs going up to the auction, they do not give a poo poo if you climb out of it and up the pipe

It takes them long enough to get into position after you set off the fireworks that you should have plenty of time to get to Dahlia if you just use the remote before you get frisked.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Professional Mode, is there a way to walk around with a sniper rifle unmolested?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, I was looking at the back of the box release in my local Game today and Colorado isn't on the disc. It's a free download if you get the disc, I guess they couldn't get the whole game on the disc for some reason, but why choose episode five of six to be the downloaded one?

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?
Got my first SA ET today! Nothing too bold, I just waited on the other end of the catwalk and waited for him to leave, then lethal syringed him as he walked down that path behind the stylist/makeup area.

After he went down, I dashed to the exit, then realized I forgot to pick up the USB dongle :downs:. Cut to me dashing back to his corpse to pick it up. I thought that was funny. Either way, I got my terminus suit woo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Veotax posted:

Huh, I was looking at the back of the box release in my local Game today and Colorado isn't on the disc. It's a free download if you get the disc, I guess they couldn't get the whole game on the disc for some reason, but why choose episode five of six to be the downloaded one?

Devious tactic to get people hooked on the game and prey on their reluctance to skip numbers or parts of the story so that if they want 6 they'll feel compelled to get 5.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Veotax posted:

Colorado takes up more space than Hokkaido maybe?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I feel the need to mention this every time I play these missions but goddamn hidden valley and at the gates loving suck in hitman 2. YAME! YAME! No, gently caress off. I don't see you stopping the millions of other guards walking around from a mile away who look exactly like me. Leave me the gently caress alone.

I just had to vent a little.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Greetings from buggy bugland. Victor and his bodyguard decided to freeze to this position forever. Kinda annoying when you intend to complete The Personal Touch challenge...

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

polishthunder84 posted:

Got my first SA ET today! Nothing too bold, I just waited on the other end of the catwalk and waited for him to leave, then lethal syringed him as he walked down that path behind the stylist/makeup area.

After he went down, I dashed to the exit, then realized I forgot to pick up the USB dongle :downs:. Cut to me dashing back to his corpse to pick it up. I thought that was funny. Either way, I got my terminus suit woo

Terminus suit is cool as hell. I like wearing the white suit when I'm going stealthy angel of death style and the terminus suit when 47 just goes mental with fire axes and machine guns. The cowboy hat suit is also fun to wear in the paris map just for the incongruity of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish you could choose the default 47 suit to use. I almost always use the Absolution Suit.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
The cowboy hat outfit is fun to use when you're going for Sniper Assassin challenges because 47 becomes the Ultimate Big Game Hunter.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Professional mode is really fun. I've done SASO in Paris by the Terminal Velocity method and it was really rewarding to pull off.

Has IOI announced whether or not they have plans for elusive targets in the bonus versions of maps? I'd love some in A House Made of Sand and Landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

gtrmp posted:

It takes them long enough to get into position after you set off the fireworks that you should have plenty of time to get to Dahlia if you just use the remote before you get frisked.

Wow, I am ashamed I didn't just think of this instead of sneaking across the entire second and third stories. Also never knew about the window and pipe mentioned above.