Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I can already feel that checking out some stats and previous Basho results is paying dividends for my brand of Sumo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Hoping that Takarafuji turns a corner but his basho is not looking good at all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ilmucche posted:

tochinoshin is regularly the worst guy on my team but i can't quit him

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ilmucche posted:

I will ride or die Tochi until he's ready to retire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Liquid Communism posted:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Liquid Communism posted:

:respek:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm waiting for the forthcoming Abi yusho.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Liquid Communism posted:

This is my brand of Sumo as well.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ilmucche posted:

i'm like 80% sure tochinoshin is the highest scoring member of my team

is there an award for lowest scoring team? like jokeozuna? i'm in contention for that at least

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
My whole team is 3/2 right now, can't complain.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vargatron posted:

I'm waiting for the forthcoming Abi yusho.

Abi/Ryuden playoff on day 15 just for maximum ugh.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The best thing about this mess of a basho is that the rankings won't shift since the records are all over the place and we will get a repeat of it in january.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

ilmucche posted:

:hai:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I quite enjoyed the Hoshoryu v Midorifuji match: https://youtu.be/FXqkxZIVoIc

Dat slam.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Love Hoshoryu's throw game, that counter throw was absolutely sick.

Not a great day for my team, generally.
Think I'll probably trade Nishikigi, dude's sumo is not looking good.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Abi/Ryuden/Ichinojo playoff on day 15 just for maximum ugh.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Hoshoryu going for a technique prize.

I know Abi was out for a long while for breaking Covid rules, but is there another reason the thread hates him?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's something about Ichinojo and Abi I just don't like. Ichinojo just seems so dispassionate, Abi seems a mean person to go up against.

Then the Ichinojo story broke and Abi not taking covid serious is a pretty dick move considering the training environment they are in.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm just bothered by Abi's lankyness. I need my sumo mans round!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm just bothered by Abi's lankyness. I need my sumo mans round!

Long Long Man

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Then the Ichinojo story broke and Abi not taking covid serious is a pretty dick move considering the training environment they are in.

Also, Abi's timing was horrible. His suspension came like 2 months after Shobushi died so people were especially mad.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lid posted:

Long Long Man

*saxytime intensifies*

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Even ignoring Abi’s character flaws at the moment, his sumo is still kinda poo poo with horrible footwork. He’s very lucky to be in this period with weak and inconsistent top ranks. I thought he was getting better before the suspension but it’s all gotten sloppy again.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Do the requirements for ozeki assume consistent performance at sekiwake? I was curious about this back in March because Abi was sekiwake and hit exactly 32 wins across 3 tournaments. If he'd had one more would have qualified for ozeki or do you have to achieve the 33 wins as a sekiwake? Or is it all made up?

Regardless, I appreciate the lanky sumo. I've been impressed this basho with Ichiyamamoto on the lower end of the banzuke.

Edit: Covid bullshit in mind, how do people feel about the Asanoyama redemption arc?

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 18, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am once again giving all of my energy for Takayasu yusho

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

I am once again giving all of my energy for Takayasu yusho

i want this so bad but he will keep loving it up.

abi came back from suspension and tore thru makuuchi and then decided to become dog poo poo. very abi.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Marching Powder posted:

Only if you keep up this attitude instead of giving him your energy

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

Do the requirements for ozeki assume consistent performance at sekiwake? I was curious about this back in March because Abi was sekiwake and hit exactly 32 wins across 3 tournaments. If he'd had one more would have qualified for ozeki or do you have to achieve the 33 wins as a sekiwake? Or is it all made up?

You need all 3 tourneys to be at sanyaku or at least the last 2 and the one before at M1-2 if they are feeling generous. Basically any tourneys under that don't count because it's a whole lot easier to get wins at M15/M6 since you aren't fighting any top rankers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

abi came back from suspension and tore thru makuuchi and then decided to become dog poo poo. very abi.

Abi's been the same wrestler before and after his suspension. Good enough to make M1-5 but held back by lovely footwork/technique to break through into sanyaku as a permanent fixture.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

Hoshoryu going for a technique prize.

I know Abi was out for a long while for breaking Covid rules, but is there another reason the thread hates him?

Personally I just find Abi extremely dull to watch, whether he's winning or losing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Abi relies on physical gifts, and his technique isn't incredible. Compared to, say, Nishikifuji (who is looking incredible this basho), I understand why people don't love him. I have two counters to this:

1) Abi is a bro-y goofball who's so funny that the JSK had to suspend rikishi social media accounts because his posting game was too strong.
2) He has the greatest shiko of all time

He shouldn't have broken COVID protocol, but he's just a dumb bro and I have a lot of patience for dumb, but well-meaning, bros.

Dead Goon posted:

I can already feel that checking out some stats and previous Basho results is paying dividends for my brand of Sumo.

Every time I remember to do this I increase my end-of-basho score by like 5 points.

W/r/t the basho so far: day 5 was a complete banger, lots of great matches. I'm happy to see my boy Kotonowaka going out and doing strong solid sumo, and like I said before, Nishikifuji is really impressing me. Hoshoryu is also looking great, and his bad boy hot guy sumo is really on fire right now. Also, Takayasu yusho?

Day 5 standings

Makuuchi
code:
19	Fluffdaddy
18	bartolimu
18	Thauros
18	Vargatron
17	Everyones Favorite Poster
17	Ice Phisherman
17	Iron Chef Nex
17	MalarkeyToboggan
17	NuclearPotato
17	Tiny Bug Child
16	anakha
16	ilmucche
16	Kenning
16	sivad
16	Skjorte
15	Eli949
15	GoatSeeGuy
15	Khizan
15	Mode 7
15	MyChemicalImbalance
15	Tochiazuma
14	Banana Canada
14	Chinook
14	Communist Thoughts
14	Gaghskull
14	jmzero
14	Jobbo_Fett
14	pseudodragon
13	Marching Powder
13	whats for dinner
12	Crusty Nutsack
12	ratmosphere
11	bessantj
11	Flinger
11	LlamaTrauma
11	Netsky
11	Takuan
10	Charles Gnarwin
10	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
10	Saturnine Aberrance
9	captainblastum
8	scripterror
Juryo
code:
16	Bentai
16	Brut
15	Kuros
15	Neodoomium
15	Teddybear
14	Biosys
14	QuasiQuack
14	rare Magic card l00k
13	Akiosan
13	Dead Goon
13	do it on my face
13	Pakled
13	Xerzes
12	John McClane
12	Log082
12	Maigius
12	PJ
12	ullerrm
11	Boogalo
11	Liquid Communism
11	Robviously
10	Lid
10	Nativity In Black
9	Beexoffel
9	Ben Nerevarine
8	Helianthus Annuus
7	oldskool

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

anakha posted:

Abi's been the same wrestler before and after his suspension. Good enough to make M1-5 but held back by lovely footwork/technique to break through into sanyaku as a permanent fixture.

Yeah, this has been my read as well. It's why I picked him for my fantasy draft at his rank of M9. He's down low enough that he can win reliably against similarly ranked wrestlers. However, when he gets too high in the rankings, higher ranked wrestlers are just better and reliably win against him. He can break into komosubi but I highly doubt he'll be able to stay there until he improves. And because the flaws are deep, I don't think he'll ever truly improve.

I remember Daieisho had a similar kind of problem but it looks like he's been able to resolve them. He had this one trick of leaning forward and striking the throat and face over and over again, arms pushing forward like the pistons of an engine while moving forward. It was incredibly aggressive and for a while, wrestlers just didn't know how to deal with it and just folded because getting hit in the throat/face sucks. Then wrestlers figured out that because this is all he did, all they need to do is step backwards, lure him in with some free hits that don't have the same force due to moving away and then step to the side. His body is inherently unbalanced due to how he's continually striking and his mix poor balance, forward motion, extreme focus on where he was striking due to the smallness of the target (which probably weakened his focus on footwork) and aggression repeatedly took him over the edge and to losses.

He fixed that somewhat. While he still strikes at the face and neck, but he doesn't lean in and piston as much as he used to and so his balance is steadier and he doesn't step out of the ring due to his lack of balance. His problem with his footwork was that he was relying on a technique that left him unbalanced. That's now more or less been resolved. He's not scoring wins like he used to, but his old tactic had been more or less solved.

Abi is in a much worse place. I feel like Abi could work on his technique and try to unfuck his footwork and if he did he'd be a real terror. Speaking from experience in martial arts, improving technique is easier (not easy, just easier) than fixing problems with footwork. Techniques that aren't working can be tweaked, abandoned or mixed with new techniques. Daieisho leaving the ring too much? The fix is a change in technique, which is simpler.

However, changing fundamentals like footwork is really loving hard because it requires unlearning learned behaviors. Unlearning is a tedious and lengthy process that isn't guaranteed to work. It's not passive like forgetting. Unlearning is active and requires facing what you learned at an instinctive level and changing it. Even if you do learn how to move correctly when you're thinking about it, your behavior can and often does just revert back to that bad footwork when you stop thinking and start running on instinct again. Also good luck if the trainer who allowed your footwork to be sloppy in the first place is still there. Even if you get a new one who knows what they're doing, they have to want to bother spending a lot of time on fixing you. And it will be long, tedious, frustrating, often embarrassing and not guaranteed to work. In which time, you're probably going to takes some more losses as you attempt fundamental change.

Abi strikes me as someone who will fluctuate between M5 and komosubi and never get any higher as he's crushed as soon as he starts fighting wrestlers that are actually good. Any time he makes komosubi or M1, he'll fall back once his physical gifts aren't enough to win on their own anymore. And then you look at what else he's got going for him which isn't that great. His footwork is bad, his technique isn't great either. Simply having the right body type will get you far in sumo and it can push you past smaller, more talented wrestlers who are less physically gifted. And with a weaker lineup in the top division, he can skate on his abilities but never be truly great.

Unless he does the monumental task of doing a total rebuild of his fundamentals and improving his technique, he'll never be great. My take is to draft Abi if he gets into the lower ranks and don't draft him if he gets into the upper ranks.

Anyway, I might be wrong, but that's my take as someone who did martial arts for roughly a decade.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 18, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, Abi as he stands is the definition of a career midranker. Enough natural talent to get that far, but not enough skill to make the changes needed to reach the top ranks.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, Abi as he stands is the definition of a career midranker. Enough natural talent to get that far, but not enough skill to make the changes needed to reach the top ranks.

I don't blame someone for accepting being merely good if good works. Especially for all the blood, sweat and tears that would be required to go from good to great. The thing about blood, sweat and tears is that they're not all that much fun to shed more than you're already shedding if you don't need to.

After his suspension, Abi had roughly a year to fix his problems with fundamentals and technique. Six months suspension and then another six getting back to makuuchi. That's enough time to make serious progress on addressing flaws. Probably not enough for a full rebuild of fundamentals, but enough to shore up weaknesses and develop new techniques. If he did that he'd probably be on his way to ozeki.

He didn't though and now that he's thirty-one he probably never will because he's only got a few more years left. Few people can be Tamawashi, the Carl Ripken Jr. of the sumo world and show up every day and wrestle into their late thirties and possibly into his forties.

I understand people who want to be just good enough, but I also have a deep respect for people who do put in that blood, sweat and tears to reach for the top when they obviously don't have to.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 18, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTV5yGRsdU&t=106s

asanoyama (at makushita 4e after getting upset once last basho) had a juryo guest bout today vs. tokushoryu

kinta also included it at the beginning of his digest i see now that i'm watching that for the top division

Thauros fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 18, 2022

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

He didn't though and now that he's thirty-one he probably never will because he's only got a few more years left. Few people can be Tamawashi, the Carl Ripken Jr. of the sumo world and show up every day and wrestle into their late thirties and possibly into his forties.

Abi's only 28. His COVID shenanigans permanently soured me on him as someone I'd ever root for, but I think y'all are selling him a bit short. The only reason he's at maegashira #9 is because he had to sit the last one out. Prior to that, he seemed to like he might have occupied the main event joker-type role that pre-yusho Tamawashi did some years ago, where he rarely won enough to be considered part of the yusho race, but nevertheless usually won just enough at the top level to remain inside or quickly get back to sanyaku. His style is too inconsistent to reliably guarantee him wins over anyone, but since returning from suspension he's proven to be a legit threat to the top contenders: he's 2-2 against Terunofuji in exciting and chaotic bouts, he's dominated Takakeisho at basically every turn, he's currently on a 2-bout win streak over Mitakeumi after having really struggled with him in past year, and... well, Shodai's beaten him 4 times in 4 different ways in their past 4 encounters, but that's the erratic force meeting the capricious object.

I think he'll make it back to sanyaku and continue to cause havoc in the near future.

Speaking of uniquely unpredictable styles, check out this awesome throwback fight in Kintamayama's video from today. Big fan of Terutsuyoshi's salt toss and Takayasu's signature pose, but having a character like Robocop around seems like it was a blast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fa0CwdYpAU&t=415s

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Liquid Communism posted:

May Tochi win, or drive my fantasy sumo into the goddamn ground.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gaghskull posted:

May Tochi win, or drive my fantasy sumo into the goddamn ground.

It's the latter...:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tochinoshin is love