Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

New DaVinci track, from his upcoming album "the MOEna Lisa":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6g9TFK8LE

Sick beat, sick flow, sick song, the best yet off that album in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

alansmithee posted:

Talking about the hardest flow on any recent Em album is like talking about the meanest kitten in a litter. Also I can't think of many things softer than going over loving recovery trying to find the "hardest" verses.

Also dudes really need to chill with the "goes hard" constantly, poo poo's annoying and I thought we got past that awhile ago.

There is a line of rhyming on recovery which is excellent and really stands out. Also what's wrong with "goes hard"? Exactly. You sure do have a lot of opinions.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1mkVeOahvg

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mosaic Perception posted:

There is a line of rhyming on recovery which is excellent and really stands out. Also what's wrong with "goes hard"? Exactly. You sure do have a lot of opinions.

You were the one going on about soft dudes and poo poo, I was just pointing out how corny you sounded. Also lol at saying eminem bit anything from some dude who peaked 10 years ago. Think the last time Madchild did anything worthwile was on bad dreams. Good to know he's still keeping it gangster [in his own way, of course].

And 'goes hard' is just symptomatic of a bunch of the faux-gangsta speak dudes feel the need to use in here. Just because you listen to rap doesn't mean you have to talk "street" and it sure as hell doesn't mean you have to type that way.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
Bro it's 2012. I'm pretty sure that 'go hard' has entered the general lexicon.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

alansmithee posted:

You were the one going on about soft dudes and poo poo, I was just pointing out how corny you sounded. Also lol at saying eminem bit anything from some dude who peaked 10 years ago. Think the last time Madchild did anything worthwile was on bad dreams. Good to know he's still keeping it gangster [in his own way, of course].

And 'goes hard' is just symptomatic of a bunch of the faux-gangsta speak dudes feel the need to use in here. Just because you listen to rap doesn't mean you have to talk "street" and it sure as hell doesn't mean you have to type that way.

Bitch I am street.

youngallah posted:

Bro it's 2012. I'm pretty sure that 'go hard' has entered the general lexicon.

Also this.

Let me know how posting all these words work out for you though.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
shots fired :gibs:

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

LARRY JEW posted:

Woke up this morning and realized I haven't listened to CanOx in a minute. Time to change that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwthdHxBJI

I've seen some rumors that Vordul's homeless, that's hosed if true.
It is a bummer because the mini-CanOx reunion on Vordul's last solo record was so good. They could have had such a great career, if only Vordul could settle his demons and Vast wasn't such an rear end to El-P.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3yF3h3fc0

Big Sean is so cute :3:

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
Haven't seen any talk of Souls of Mischief/Heiro so I thought I'd throw one my favorite cuts out. For some reason this never made it to a record and that is a drat shame.

Souls of Mischief - Cab Fare

Also KanKick

KanKick - Seeing Spirits

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bitch I am street.

Also this.

Let me know how posting all these words work out for you though.

My posting has gotten me this cool avatar featuring the logo of rap icons and words proclaiming how i've learned to appreciate other forms of music. Your posting has gotten you big bright red letters which imply you're an attempted rapist. I say all my words are working out pretty well and maybe you should be taking notes.

But go ahead, keep pretending you're some e-gangsta while listening to crappy rap. If that's what makes you happy more power to you. As a wise man once said "I ain't mad at cha".

Also normally I'd side with El-P but with all the solid artists who left defjux and the way the label went under I'm not entirely sure Vast was entirely off base with his claims. I know Danny also said his time there wasn't the best, and I swear there was a couple other dudes who said some not so positive things.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

alansmithee posted:

My posting has gotten me this cool avatar featuring the logo of rap icons and words proclaiming how i've learned to appreciate other forms of music.

:goonsay:

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

alansmithee posted:

My posting has gotten me this cool avatar featuring the logo of rap icons and words proclaiming how i've learned to appreciate other forms of music. Your posting has gotten you big bright red letters which imply you're an attempted rapist. I say all my words are working out pretty well and maybe you should be taking notes.

But go ahead, keep pretending you're some e-gangsta while listening to crappy rap. If that's what makes you happy more power to you. As a wise man once said "I ain't mad at cha".

Word? I'm going with my man up above me.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

mogran posted:

Haven't seen any talk of Souls of Mischief/Heiro so I thought I'd throw one my favorite cuts out. For some reason this never made it to a record and that is a drat shame.

Souls of Mischief - Cab Fare

Also KanKick

KanKick - Seeing Spirits

kankick is a beast. heavily underrated

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

alansmithee posted:

Also normally I'd side with El-P but with all the solid artists who left defjux and the way the label went under I'm not entirely sure Vast was entirely off base with his claims. I know Danny also said his time there wasn't the best, and I swear there was a couple other dudes who said some not so positive things.

Dorepoll posted:

It is a bummer because the mini-CanOx reunion on Vordul's last solo record was so good. They could have had such a great career, if only Vordul could settle his demons and Vast wasn't such an rear end to El-P.

Do you guys have any reading or more info about the "collapse" of Def Jux? I really don't know much(anything at all) about it

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I got a funny hair so I decided to start listening to Mobb Deep's albums pre-Infamy since Infamy is really where I think they started falling off (most notably Prodigy, who was, in my opinion, one of the best lyricists. His flow with Havoc's production is the best one-two combination next to Dre and Big Boi).

I thought maybe I would do a small write up of two of my favorite albums, and then give my comments on where they went after.

The Infamous

This was a lot of people's first introduction to Mobb Deep and holy poo poo did they come strong. The first time I heard this album was at the height of the east coast and west coast feud, right before 2Pac got shot. I was young so I was only really after catchy songs, so this album didn't really resonate with me at the time. Years later, around the time 8 Mile came out and Shook Ones Pt 2 was heavily featured in it, I put it back on and was captivated from start to finish. The production on this album deserves so much praise because, from start to finish, this is one of the most complete albums I have ever heard. Havoc would go down as one of the greatest producers of all time if this album had more mainstream exposure, but Mobb Deep didn't really give a poo poo about the mainstream and kept their rhymes gritty. They painted a grimey picture of the streets and everything they said was not only vivid, but believable. Prodigy lays one of the greatest verses I've ever heard on Shook Ones Pt 2, and the guest stars are all top notch. This album is actually the reason I started looking into Big Noyd.

Standout Tracks: All of them, but mostly Shook Ones Pt 2, Survival of the Fittest, Give up the Goods, Eye for an Eye... gently caress it just listen to the whole god drat album.

Hell On Earth

I didn't every listen to this until I listened to The Infamous. I had heard Drop a Gem On 'Em, but that was it. When I popped this in it was much like The Infamous, I couldn't stop listening from start to finish. I didn't think it was possible, but Havoc improved on his production and Prodigy's rhymes got tighter. The only song I don't really enjoy is More Trife Life. The beat isn't really my style and Havoc really shows why he is the producer and not the lyricist of the group. This is the album that really made me consider Prodigy one of the greatest lyricists of the second half of the 1990s. The album's first track opens up with "You know how we did on the infamous album right? Alright. We're gonna do it again son." And they do. It's a one hour onslaught of your senses. Drop A Gem On Em is one of the most vicious diss records I've ever heard in my life, and I wish Prodigy hadn't fallen off so hard after Murda Muzik because I would've loved to hear him come back at Jay-Z with this kind of tenacity. Apostle's Warning is probably the hardest verse I've ever heard laid on a track.

Standout Tracks: Drop A Gem On Em, Extortion, Nighttime Vultures, Hell On Earth, Give it up Fast, Still Shinin, Apostle's Warning

Now, I started listening to Murda Muzik again tonight, which I haven't listened to in a while. You can really hear Prodigy starting to lose his flow. He still spits some tight verses, but his flow just isn't as tight as it was on the previous two albums and it doesn't sound like he's really trying to rap to the beat, he's just trying to rap. But oddly enough, Havoc finds it. I started with Quiet Storm, which really got me back into the album in the first pace. Every word Havoc says seems like it should be something Prodigy should be spitting simply because it seems like more his style rather than Havoc's. I wonder if Havoc really picked up the skill or if maybe he had a Ghostwriter? Like I said, I could picture the Prodigy of old spitting everything Havoc spit, sooooo...

After Murda Muzik the Mobb fell so far off the they weren't even recognizable by the time Infamy came out. Hey Luv was their next big hit. Mobb Deep making a love song? Get the gently caress out of here. Havoc's production was still great, the standout tracks being Get Away, The Learning, and a few others, but the album was such a drop off from the standards they set up for themselves that I can't even stand to listen to it. I don't take anything that came out after this album seriously due to the sour taste that was put in my mouth, so if I'm missing out let me know.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Did you check out any of P's late 2000s comeback albums? Return of the Mack (esp. Mac10 Handle, with the video) was great. HNIC 2 and Bumpy Johnson EP were quality as well. Flow still lacking a little bit, but real rugged beats and productions was decent return to street raps.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn1EyLeuehY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrf9h85kYI
:thumbsup:

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Blueprint - Radio Inactive

Listened to it on repeat over and over and I still get chills. loving amazing. You can totally hear his soul pour into the sincerity of his lyrics.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKdnDS9KtM

What's the general consensus on Macklemore on here?

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 1, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Macklemore is dope but I'm kinda biased

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Cole posted:

Mobb Deep

We think alike. Blood Money wasn't horrible. Beats were nice and some neat ideas. Give that a try.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I really enjoyed Blood Money when it came out, had a delivery route and banged it for weeks, it has a bunch of solid tracks on it. Not quite the same vibe as their early discs but nice.

50 is all over it but he kills it, "Pearly Gates" is crazy.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Hip Flask posted:

He's so boring.

If you don't feel what the pencil scripts
then eight times out of ten you aint been through poo poo

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Joe is so dope.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

If you don't feel what the pencil scripts
then eight times out of ten you aint been through poo poo

It's mostly the voice, son!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

dethkon posted:

Did you check out any of P's late 2000s comeback albums? Return of the Mack (esp. Mac10 Handle, with the video) was great. HNIC 2 and Bumpy Johnson EP were quality as well. Flow still lacking a little bit, but real rugged beats and productions was decent return to street raps.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFV7I-ImwAM

his flow isn't amazing here, but he's backed by the Alchemist. It's a great song and RotM was a great album

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

John Brown posted:

Wow the thread has blew up since I last posted. Few things to add:

-I never like Exquire up until this PoP track so that's relieving

-Alan, I'd rather hear Lupe rap like "Bitch Bad" than "Show Goes On" so I'll take it. Also I'm glad his situation with Atlantic seems to be completely over now (besides the part of he wanting to leave the label).

-Pro Era just got my loving attention! Anyone who can truly "freestyle" like that usually can put out something that's worth copping every once in a while so I'm definitely looking for a mixtape now. Any suggestions?

-I can't really comment on the Beatles because I haven't listen to their work/genre enough, but I sure am tired of hearing about them. Outkast forever!

-Lastly, Riff Raff is poo poo. He's like the white guy at a predominantly black high school who was allowed to hang out with minorities because of any of the following reasons: (a) he had a drug connect (b) he was funny, or (c) he could make a few words rhyme together.

Jesus christ.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Hip Flask posted:

It's mostly the voice, son!

I could see that.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

alansmithee posted:

Your posting goes flaccid.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Your posting goes flaccid.

That's only to be expected after busting in all ya'll clown's faces constantly. Barely give me a chance to recharge before someone else comes up wanting some.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
drat son you sure got us! Way to go! You won the thread alansmithee feel free to leave now.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

alansmithee posted:

That's only to be expected after busting in all ya'll clown's faces constantly. Barely give me a chance to recharge before someone else comes up wanting some.

What is this weird poo poo? Your opinions on rap music sucks and so do your weird homoerotic "comebacks"

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Jeremiah Jae's full length came out a month or two ago, I wasn't paying attention and just heard it.

Production is solid, there is a lot to listen to. Not sure about his rapping. Usually sounds lazy but it kinda goes with the production and he's more a producer than a rapper and poo poo. Money and Food? The Great Escape? Guns Go Off? Good stuff. Dunno if I'll care to listen to it in a month though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85XiAXy1x5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yRnotJ4kTw

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 3, 2012

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

alansmithee posted:

Carpetbagger, it's y'all. As in, you all. As in, y'all trying to sound colloquial as poo poo on this Internet forum and not doing too good.

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010
If you put an apostrophe anywhere in the word yall its because you started using it as an affectation later on in your life. A true southern yall sayer just says it like it's not a contraction.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
lol you guys are so loving funny stepping to alan

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.
I'm looking to purchase an old Dorian Three album, their first one, I'm pretty sure it is self-titled. I've scoured the usual spots like Sandbox Automatic for years and have come up empty. I had this album back in high school circa 1998 and am dying to get my hands on it. Anyone know of a legit source to buy this album?

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
One thing that's funny
about the internet is everyone trying to talk the same. But really, a lot of the slang people try to use on forums does sound goofy as poo poo to me, cause of where I live, and vica verca.

Like for example, we don't say"herb" here, your a duck or a lick or something else insulting. But "herb"doesn't mean anything. Something to think about.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This thread has some really bad and weird opinions. Let's talk about how D4 won't disappoint today in an hour.

alansmithee posted:

Worst comeback in the history of comebacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
new talib kweli dropped today http://www.datpiff.com/Talib-Kweli-Z-Trip-Attack-The-Block-mixtape.389953.html

• Locked thread