Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

So, we've come to this tropical country and we've been working non-stop. I say we head to the beach, relax, and go

Surfin' RdA

Strategic goals:
Dawn sneak attack on the bridge command
Sanitize the coastal corridor
Sever Free State connection to the mainland

CAP

Dude
4 x Gripen, Maximum Meteor

Recon and Support

Beach Bums
S-100B AWACS
KC-135R Stratotanker
VC-10 Tanker
EA-6B Prowler

Wave Report
Reaper, Gorgon Stare

Comber
Sperwer

Strategic Bombing

Wipeout
4x Gripen, SDBs

Gust Front
2x German Tornado, Cruise Missiles

Gidget
4x Kfir, Spice

Lifeguard
4x Phantom, DWS.39 Anti-Runway

CAS

Kook
Frogfoot, Scallion Anti-Tank
Hawk, Mavericks
2x Saudi Tornado, Brimstone

Skeg
5x SK-60B, gun pods

Grommet
2x Phantom, Paveways
2x AMX, Paveways
2x Mirage, Paveways

EMCON
RADAR OFF AND JAMMING OFF until Paddle Battle is complete. After that, radiate away.

Schedule

At 0300, Wave Report will head for point Riptide and Comber for point Low Tide. At 0500, Beach Bums, Dude, Wipeout, Gust Front, and Lifeguard will launch from Lubango to point Riptide. Stay out of radar range.

Paddle Battle
Once in position, Gust Front will launch cruise missiles at the Bridge command. If SAM are spotted shooting at the cruise missles, Wipeout will move in at maximum speed and use SDBs to hit the bridge command and launchers. Gust Front RTB. Once the Bridge command is down, swing north with Dude, Wipeout, and Lifeguard.

Swell
AWACS and Jammers on; Comber should follow the highway north while Wave Report moves in closer Sanitize the area around Caboledo airport and launch the DWS.39 anti-runway bombs to shut down operations. Dude will return to Riptide; Wipeout and Lifeguard will proceed south, using any spare ordinance to clear AA targets while they RTB. Lifeguard will rearm as part of Grommet if possible.

Barrel Ride
CAS elements will launch at dawn (~0630). Kook flights prioritize armor, Skeg flight prioritizes infantry, and Grommet flight prioritizes structures and AA. Quick Turnaround or Surge and keep firing until you hit the time limit.

Hang 10
Wipeout will relaunch with Gidget and proceed to Riptide to refuel. Dude, Wipeout, Gidget will then proceed to point High Tide at Military speed while Beach Bums move north at cruise speed to about halfway between. Launch two Spice at the Shadowban comm towers. If they hit unmolested, launch the rest at the bridge. If not, use Wipeout to sanitize the area before launching the remaining Spice to complete Shadowban objectives. Return everyone to Riptide; Wipeout can join in assaulting the coastal highway while Gidget RTB.

Enemy Forces

Free State air gets one warning that we're not headed for Cabinda; if they continue to approach, fire on them.

Ignore Tesla forces unless they fire on you.

Mark bridges as neutral. Mark Bulgarians as neutral unless they screw us.

Chinese Wax Job

If a military contact is spotted over the ocean, suspend operations and move everything towards point Low Tide.

If the contact is Angolan, resume operations. If the contact is Chinese, scrub everything and land ASAP.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

:catdrugs: :catdrugs:

Closing new missions and starting voting in 4 hours!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Toontown

l3wt
May 18, 2017
Put me in, coach! I'll play as callsign: Deathtrap. Hell, I registered an account solely for this LP, that's how much I love this.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

power crystals posted:

Operation For It Is Raining Dreams And I Have Cabin Fever

Probably final update. Thanks to that radar site actually being closer, the plan now SDBs it and instead fires its cruise missiles at two runways. The goal still is to strand the dictator's air force on the ground so Von Hoff's forces can try to seize them, which would be an enormous win for the new Angolan state. Failing that we should at least make them fire a whole lot of SAMs at the missiles trying to stop us instead of at things we care about.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Tapco isn't interested in any crimes that aren't committed by dropping a barrel bomb outta Mi-8

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

JcDent posted:

Tapco isn't interested in any crimes that aren't committed by dropping a barrel bomb outta Mi-8

Just think, if he hadn't gotten himself shot down by WWII surplus he could be loading up with napalm right now.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Something to consider - Bengula airport is completely within radar range of the Dictator. If you launch an initial assault out of there it's going to be seen before it hits anything, and we don't know how itchy the bomb finger is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Added Space posted:

Something to consider - Bengula airport is completely within radar range of the Dictator. If you launch an initial assault out of there it's going to be seen before it hits anything, and we don't know how itchy the bomb finger is.

Oh, crap. :ohdear:

We maybe need to alter our plans.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, crap. :ohdear:

We maybe need to alter our plans.

Hah! My stuff (including Shiva, the flight that's targetting the Dictator's radar) is coming out of Albano Machado for a reason! And not just because I completely forgot Benguela existed when I wrote up the plan!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I don't think that radar can see stuff leaving Benguela with any reliability; if it could, the dictator would have been tweeting non-stop about our attack on a civilian freighter.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Added Space posted:

The gently caress does he have left that can even make a strike against us? He must have only a handful of Su-30s and maybe some older stuff left and the more of that he puts on an A2G loadout the more thoroughly he'll get clowned by Meteors. And if the older stuff gets the A2G weapons, well, our ADA guys will get some target practice in.

I'm not concerned.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

power crystals posted:

The gently caress does he have left that can even make a strike against us? He must have only a handful of Su-30s and maybe some older stuff left and the more of that he puts on an A2G loadout the more thoroughly he'll get clowned by Meteors. And if the older stuff gets the A2G weapons, well, our ADA guys will get some target practice in.

I'm not concerned.

I think he means the bomb for the bridges.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Soup Inspector posted:

Are our Saudi Tornados even able to take that?

Ignoring that for the moment, I think it's also worth keeping in mind that during the Gulf War (I want to say) it turned out that the RAF's equivalent system made the Tornado surprisingly vulnerable to IADS. Though that doesn't make it any less metal.

Only German and Italian Tornados unfortunately. Although according to the YT description, F-104's and F4's could carry them too.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dreamsicle posted:

I think he means the bomb for the bridges.

That would make more sense :downs: though this is why I already wrote a contingency clause for "whoops, a bridge died".

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PICK 3.

Yes, we're doing that again. It worked out pretty well.

We will be using Chains of War expansion stuff. Expect to see the new damage model in action, and expect to see me get very excited about planes on fire.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. Riders
2. Surf
3. Toontown

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

1: For It Is Raining Dreams And I Have Cabin Fever
2: Finest Hour
3: Surfin' RDA

Seeing the length of that name compared to the others is amusing me to no end

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
1) Riders of Rohan (duh!)
2) Finest Hour (Could use a flank guard, but nice and contained, no "warcrimes"/low level attacks into the teeth of unsanitized AA, and I like the name :cheeky:)
3) Raining Dreams (Name's a bit silly, and also no low-level attacks)

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Raining
Finest Hour
Reacharound

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Finest Hour
Toontown
For It Is Raining Dreams And I Have Cabin Fever

Basically I'll take any plan that doesn't commit anything more than a CAP flight against the Free State. They are simply not the objective here, any bomb dropped on them just decreases our chances of taking Luanda in time.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
1. For It Is Raining Dreams And I Have Cabin Fever
2. Finest Hour
3. Reacharound

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1. Raining Dreams (for that amazing name)
2. Rohan (pours out 40)
3. Finest Hour (:black101:)

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

1.Riders of Rohan
2, Cabin Fever
3. Toontown

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
1. Finest Hour
2. Cabin Fever
3. Riders

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

1. Reacharound
2. Toontown
3. Riders

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

1. For It Is Raining Dreams And I Have Cabin Fever
2. Surfin' RdA
3. Operation Toontown

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

This was supposed to go up before Yooper called the vote, but I took too long and narrowly missed it. Oh well, gave me time for another editing pass instead. Consider it an interlude or something.

quote:

The crack of the carbine's report could be heard as clearly as MEAT's swearing at having missed another shot. Staring at the completely intact target, he stopped and checked the weapon's sights. Despite having to spend the most hours in the air per mission on average, not actually having to fly paradoxically gave him more spare time than the regular pilots, and so he was able to request time on the base's shooting range. He'd fired a few rounds as a teenager, but never with any accuracy - which certainly hadn't changed - and never in anger. But ever since the Angolans had tried to strike the base, he'd been terrified of having to actually defend himself. Some people had daydreams of being some grand hero with their firearms, but here MEAT was experiencing nightmares of being the last man left and having no ability to do anything about it. He wasn't sure if it was fear or anger from that potential situation driving his desire to learn to defend himself, but he also didn't entirely care.

The range itself was a hastily put together setup in the back of the base, facing a low hill. This merc outfit didn't directly operate a very large security force, preferring to rely on the ground forces of its employer Von Hoff to protect it from hostile ground actions, but what token forces it did have to keep out infiltrators and civilians had to stay in practice. They also made sure to requisition for themselves all the western-manufactured firearms the mercs had managed to acquire, so the "public" as it were had to use the local supply, and that meant Soviet surplus. This weapon in particular was an AKS-74U, or so he'd been told. The guard that had instructed him in the carbine's basic operation had said it wouldn't be inappropriate for a pilot - MEAT mused that he must not have realized that he was not, in fact, actually going to sit in the cockpit of a plane anytime soon. Not entirely unreasonable, after all, as the crew only had two active UAV operators.

Confident the sights were in fact set correctly, MEAT took aim down the range at one of the targets the security force had set up. Only 125m out, approximately; a distance more determined by the characteristics of the base itself than any specific qualifying regimen. It didn't help that they had to keep rebuilding the range whenever they redeployed to a new airbase. Slow breaths. He quickly fired off the last three rounds in the magazine before looking back up at the target - one had finally hit it! Sure, he'd been handed a magazine that was only partially loaded to practice with, purely because the security force didn't feel like combining the partially-fired magazines together, but he was still frustrated at how many shots that had taken. He resolved to not mention to anyone exactly how full the magazine was when he started.

He safetied the weapon and prepared to hand it back to the security detail. As he walked back inside he saw the quartermaster leaning back in her chair, with a pair of binoculars now sitting on a windowsill facing the range that definitely were not there when he came by earlier. "Only one?" she asked with a bemused smile as she stowed the weapon. "Shut it!" was MEAT's curt response, and she wondered to what degree she'd offended rather than humored him as was her intention as he walked off. He felt slightly embarrassed at how irritable he was becoming, since she'd clearly done nothing actually wrong, but there was no way to recover that conversation now without making it even worse. Good thing the base didn't have a psychologist, or he might have to actually do something about this. Of course, he was pretty sure he knew why this was happening without having to use a shrink.

MEAT wandered slowly back towards the UAV trailer. It was about 15:00 local, and there were no operations scheduled for at least the next 24 hours, so he was in no rush to get anywhere. He'd heard that something big was being planned, but he wasn't in on the circle that planned these things. Sometimes parts of the mission would wind up leaked early, and the pilots would get into rousing debates about whether or not they'd be likely to fly home from them, or on particularly energetic days, whether the mission was even a good idea. He'd had to shout down several people before who desperately wanted to equip napalm and cluster bombs or adjust the RoE to fire on any "viable" target. There were schools down there. Schools! He'd been called a bleeding heart and a detriment to the mission, and he'd called them psychopaths and accused them of wasting munitions and, even worse, money. On some especially bad days the communal mess hall would wind up divided into two groups based along these opinions. But everybody was still willing to put up with everybody else in order to get paid. So far, anyway.

Walking past the hangars, he stopped to get a look at the Reaper in its berth here at Benguela. He'd nicknamed it Silver, though he would never let anybody else know that. The maintenance crew chief wasn't in, though - drat! He'd been bugging the maintenance crew for information on how to do basic service on the UAV, mostly as another way to spend his spare time. Although he could tell the crew was substantially nervous letting him around any of the tools, he knew enough to at least give them a pretty good idea of anything that was wrong whenever he landed it, and so they had a truce with each other. The crew chief had said he'd just found an extra copy of the service manual somewhere - unfortunately, now, MEAT couldn't find the crew chief. Another day. He proceeded onward to the trailer.

"Meat Locker". The sign he'd put up when he first got assigned was still here, amazingly, though now the Sperwer trailer across the way had a full-time operator assigned. The trailer for second Sperwer had been broken down and sold when it had been shot down some time ago, and while the Reaper's much more fully outfitted ground control center had provided a relatively balanced sight next to the two Sperwer trailers that preceded it, it dwarfed the one that was left. MEAT adjusted the sign slightly, thinking the wind must have blown it off-balance somehow, and headed inside. With nothing to do for the next few hours, he grabbed the headphones, set the console to play a best of the 80's compilation, and started flipping through a set of flashcards of Russian-export tank profiles one of the S-100 operators had left him. T-55. Flip. T-55M. Flip. T-55MV. T-55AM1. T-55AM2. T-55AM2B. How many variants of one loving tank could there possibly be?

Within a few hours he'd eaten some reheated junk for dinner - preferring to avoid the mess as he heard there was another big pro-napalm group in there today - and was partway through reviewing T-80 variants when he heard a knock on the door. Who would that be? Nobody ever comes in here, he thought to himself, but all he could manage was a surprisingly irritated "What?!". A voice he recognized as one of the Phantom maintenance guys replied "I, uh.. Zackalwe asked if you could come meet him? Near the comms bunker? He has something to give you."

MEAT replied "What?" again before realizing he'd used the same answer twice, and cut off the attempted repeat of the previous statement with "No. What is he giving me?"

"I don't know, he didn't tell me..." The maintenance tech's voice by this point sounded almost afraid of him as it trailed off.

"I'll be there."

There was no response - the tech probably left as soon as he thought he could. MEAT glanced at the time - 19:38. How was he tired this early? His sleep schedule had been severely hosed up ever since that one operation, Golgotha, had left him and Silver airborne for 28 hours straight. A challenging task under normal circumstances, but seemingly impossibly so when you need to be alert and attentive the entire time or it would potentially mean the loss of someone's life. No, he wouldn't allow that. They'd already lost two aircraft to AAA emplacements he should have seen. This was a good and just fight they were fighting; he couldn't let anyone down! And so as he was idly complaining about this to some of his fellow mercenaries after the briefing, one of the Gripen pilots had said he had just the thing for this. And it had worked. The operation had gone off without a hitch from his side of things.

He opened one of the smaller drawers in the trailer and pulled out a small box. It had been a gift to help on long combat missions but here he was, not even late into the evening, already exhausted again, and being asked to be social. At this point, what was even the difference? He felt like he otherwise might have just gone to sleep in the trailer; it's not like anyone would have actually noticed. So he opened the container and gave it one last thought. Was it worth it? Could he keep himself restrained around one of the few pilots that seemed to actually like him?

Yes. Probably. Yes, for sure.

He took one of the pills, quickly swallowed it, put the container back into its drawer - its hiding place, anyone else would have thought - and set out to see what exactly Zackalwe had for him.

MEAT's callsign being in all caps as it is in the pilot roster is definitely canon by this point, btw.

Third person because I wanted to try that point of view instead for once, and because I think it's more interesting to not have a direct view into his mind for this particular story.

P.S. Tythas this is what you get for making that offer :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

1. Finest
2. Rohan
3. Toontown

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
1) Toontown
2) Rohan
3) Finest Hour

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
1. Toontown
2. Reacharound
3. Riders

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

1. Operation Finest Hour
2. Operation Toon Town
3. Operation Riders of Rohan

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

1. Reacharound
2. Finest Hour
3. For It Is Raining Dreams And I Have Cabin Fever

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

1. Toontown
2. Riders
3. Finest Hour

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 19, 2017

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
1. Finest Hour
2. Riders

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

1.Riders of Rohan
2. Finest Hour
3. Toontown

Lot of great plans!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
1. Finest Hour
2. Surfin' RdA

All good plans that focus all our efforts on clearing the road to the capital and taking Luanda.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
1. Finest Hour
2. Surfin' RdA

I am a man who has a short attention span and who trust Bacarruda not to lead him astray/to Hague.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
1. Finest Hour
2. For It Is Raining Dreams And I Have Cabin Fever
3. Riders of Rohan

yvonmukluk posted:

Surfin' RDA does have Shadowban, though, which is a point against it. Like, what is even the point at this juncture?

Thanks for catching that, I missed that part completely.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bacarruda posted:

1. Finest Hour
2. Surfin' RdA

All good plans that focus all our efforts on clearing the road to the capital and taking Luanda.

Surfin' RDA does have Shadowban, though, which is a point against it. Like, what is even the point at this juncture?