Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best argument I can make is that the Playoff should have the best teams Right Now and that a conference loss in late October carries more weight than a loss in September when you're still figuring things out.

By that metric the USC Trojans are #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lasagna Pilot posted:

We don't want Bama

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Non-conference matters to show your conference deserves to be one of the four that gets in. If Oklahoma had won their non-conference and the refs hadn't 5th down'd CMU the Big XII wouldn't be on the outside looking in. Conference season matters to determine who the champion is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lasagna Pilot posted:

It's certainly the metric that people are using to try getting the Big 12 champ in and if USC were playing in the Pac-12 title game they would have people making that argument pending another victory over Washington.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Interesting article from Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2677700-cheat-or-go-home-inside-the-dysfunctional-hell-of-becoming-a-cfb-coach

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

quote:

One was given an academic report that showed more than 50 of his players failed to go to class during one week in November. Every player. Every class. For the entire week.
Was this, maybe, the last week in November?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

tk posted:

Was this, maybe, the last week in November?

No one ever said coaches were very smart...

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Notre Dame QB Malik Zaire getting his release tommorrow.

Apparently Florida,Pittsburgh,Michigan State, and Wisconsin are the front runners.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I think Peppers is a great overall player but naming him Linebacker of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year is a joke right?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

kayakyakr posted:

No one ever said coaches were very smart...

I mean, I suppose you do still have to go to class Monday/Tuesday, but as far as I'm concerned coasting on Thanksgiving week is one of our rights as Americans.

This one is a punch in the gut though:

quote:

What do you do if you've moved so many times in the past 10 years that you can't remember the schools your kids attended or their friends' names and that your wife, the one person in your life who makes everything right when it all seems wrong, tells you she can't move again?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lasagna Pilot posted:

they're playing like one since they switched to Darnold

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Thoguh posted:

Non-conference matters to show your conference deserves to be one of the four that gets in. If Oklahoma had won their non-conference and the refs hadn't 5th down'd CMU the Big XII wouldn't be on the outside looking in. Conference season matters to determine who the champion is.

At this point everyone is spouting their opinion of what the playoff committee should weigh more. They never said any one part of the criteria is a must for a team to make the playoff. We all wanted this system over the previous and the only real difference that could be made would be using computers to choose the 4 teams which I'm guessing would put Ohio State in over a two loss Penn State.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rad Valtar posted:

So I think Peppers is a great overall player but naming him Linebacker of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year is a joke right?

Pretty wild to see Ohio State fans complaining about someone being awarded things

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think OSU is definitely in, the question is whether their decision to put OSU in is going to impact their thoughts on putting the 2-loss Big Ten champ in. So for example is PSU going to be evaluated vs. Washington straight up, or are they going to play games as far as deciding whether PSU needs to be in because they let OSU in, or maybe PSU needs to be out because they already have a Big Ten team in.

I hadn't even considered that, but if the committee follows the bowl-eligible metric, then PSU should jump Washington (if they both win conf champ games). If they don't then it the committee uses the straight-up W/L record in determining if the teams look similar. Which ever direction the committee goes will create precedent for how metrics are evaluated.

I see three scenarios assuming both PSU and Wash win their conferences:
If PSU and Wash are both in, then it means somehow the committee found OSU and PSU similar enough to go to the further criteria.
If OSU and PSU are in then it means the 'look similar' part wasn't met for Wash and bowl-eligible wins mean a lot.
If Wash and OSU are in then it means W/L records can mean more than bowl-eligible wins.

Any of these could be invalid if the committee has a broader definition of 'look similar' than I'm using here.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
All this arguing is probably going to be moot when Wisconsin wins.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mentally preparing myself to make a lot of strongly-worded posts when Washington gets put at No. 5 tonight.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Rad Valtar posted:

he was a real good defensive player and linebacker

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Rad Valtar posted:

Hey man, he just got his first career interception against Ohio State. He deserves it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Psu is pretty hot rn but who knows.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Regnevelc posted:

he was a real good defensive player and linebacker

I think he's the best player in the Big Ten but I don't think he excels enough at any one position to be the best.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

AsInHowe posted:

Pretty wild to see Ohio State fans complaining about someone being awarded things

what

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. Michigan
6. Wisconsin
7. Penn State
8. Colorado
9. Oklahoma
10. Oklahoma State

Pretty weird that Michigan is still ahead of Wisconsin, but I won't complain about staying at 4.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Benne posted:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. Michigan
6. Wisconsin
7. Penn State
8. Colorado
9. Oklahoma
10. Oklahoma State

Pretty weird that Michigan is still ahead of Wisconsin, but I won't complain about staying at 4.

Ohio State looks like a lock. No way they are dropped 3 spots next week. I think the most that will happen is they flip with Clemson.

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
kirk herbstreit is stupid and dumb if he thinks that michigan should get in over the b1g champ if washington loses

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
If Washington loses, I want Michigan at #3, for a rematch game.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The only place Michigan should be seeing the playoffs is from a court-ordered distance of 1000 feet.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Pakled posted:

Justin Fuente wins ACC Coach of the Year.

Well drat deserved. Most of us figured this was an 8 win team tops and more likely 6-6/7-5 so to be 9-3 and back in the ACC Title game? drat straight.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. Michigan
6. Wisconsin
7. Penn State
8. Colorado
9. Oklahoma
10. Oklahoma State
11. USC
12. Florida St
13. Louisville
14. Auburn
15. Florida
16. West Virginia
17. Western Michigan
18. Stanford
19. Navy
20. Utah
21. LSU
22. Tennessee
23. VT
24. Houston
25. Pitt

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Man, it sounds like they would love to have an excuse to get Michigan in.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Fluffdaddy posted:

The only place Michigan should be seeing the playoffs is from a court-ordered distance of 1000 feet.

Actually, this is a requirement for Penn State, as the playoff is only three years old and still a minor

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I am registering my disgust with the Internet

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, what the gently caress is Michigan still doing up there? They lost to OSU, Penn State beat OSU, and Penn State is the team actually playing for the conference title.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's like the committee is vacating Penn State's wins, a just punishment

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Benne posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is Michigan still doing up there? They lost to OSU, Penn State beat OSU, and Penn State is the team actually playing for the conference title.

They crushed Penn State though. They also beat Wisconsin and Colorado.

korrandark fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 30, 2016

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Urbz is a genius. Ohio State will be home relaxing while the rest of the chumps have to play another game. Bye week pizza.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I hope Washington loses and Michigan goes in at #4. That would be a crazy playoff

Bama v Michigan

Clemson v tOSU

heil satan!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Abe Froman posted:

Urbz is a genius. Ohio State will be home relaxing while the rest of the chumps have to play another game. Bye week pizza.

Historically that hasn't really worked out for OSU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wickerman posted:

I hope Washington loses and Michigan goes in at #4. That would be a crazy playoff

Bama v Michigan

Clemson v tOSU

heil satan!

Or, a game of the year rematch and a national championship rematch.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I never thought I would actually miss the BCS.

CFP two years ago: sorry TCU and Baylor, you didn't play in a championship game so we are going to penalize you.

CFP today: Hey Ohio State! . Congrats on finishing second in your division! Welcome to the playoff.

This is not a playoff. It's an invitational.

Option 1: six teams. Top two teams MUST be conference champions, and they get a bye. Four at large teams. The highest ranked G5 team no longer receives an autobid

Option 2: eight teams. Each power five conference champion receives an autobid. Three at large teams. The highest ranked G5 team no longer receives an autobid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Actually, this is a requirement for Penn State, as the playoff is only three years old and still a minor

Lmao

• Locked thread