Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlackMK4 posted:

Most of the new DI turbo cars have torque curves like the Tesla does now, frontloaded torque off idle that just falls off.

Most new cars also have hilariously non-linear throttle pedals, where 90% of throttle blade motion occurs in the first 20% of pedal travel, so the car will seem “peppy” to idiots who are afraid of machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can pry my throttle cabled car that makes no power until 6000 and keeps climbing to 9000 from my cold dead hands

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Most new cars also have hilariously non-linear throttle pedals, where 90% of throttle blade motion occurs in the first 20% of pedal travel, so the car will seem “peppy” to idiots who are afraid of machines.

I absolutely HATE this on my old car... A 2011 Ford Fusion. The throttle response is such that it is nearly impossible to take off from any stop without giving everyone in the car whiplash. 1cm of pedal travel goes seemingly from 0% to 70% throttle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

I would pay good money for a cam or ECU firmware that fixed this.

Also as an upgrade option on rental cars.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's funny because a lot of cars now have an eco mode that makes the accelerator virtually dead unless you floor it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I would pay good money for a cam or ECU firmware that fixed this.

Also as an upgrade option on rental cars.

Just pretend you are driving a beast, but that you're known for your cool restraint.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

stevewm posted:

I absolutely HATE this on my old car... A 2011 Ford Fusion. The throttle response is such that it is nearly impossible to take off from any stop without giving everyone in the car whiplash. 1cm of pedal travel goes seemingly from 0% to 70% throttle.

My Crown Vic is a bit like that. Makes backing up sometime problematic due to the gear ratio. "OK, just need a little bit of oomph to get it moving" <rockets across the parking lot>. I have to two-foot it a lot of the time, using the brakes to keep it under control. It'll creep in first, but reverse is just a little taller.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was actually curious after my post above because the new M5 is supposed to be Model S quick... apparently they make like 625whp stock. That is something like 725-750 crank horsepower with a table top flat torque curve from 2k to 6k :lol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

Just pretend you are driving a beast, but that you're known for your cool restraint.

I imagine I’m a chauffeur and this loving car is going to get me fired.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Saw this in the parking lot of the hotel by my park and ride. Two full car carriers, two empty. Maybe they were using the hotel as a delivery location?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

RZA Encryption posted:

Saw this in the parking lot of the hotel by my park and ride. Two full car carriers, two empty. Maybe they were using the hotel as a delivery location?

I like how they are just all loaded up unprotected on car carriers like they are Honda Fits and not luxury cars. I'm pretty sure Audi is the only luxury auto brand that doesn't deliver their cars in enclosed trailers and even those travel in specially designed car condoms so they don't show up at the dealers looking like poo poo as Tesla customers are complaining about.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Three Olives posted:

I like how they are just all loaded up unprotected on car carriers like they are Honda Fits and not luxury cars. I'm pretty sure Audi is the only luxury auto brand that doesn't deliver their cars in enclosed trailers and even those travel in specially designed car condoms so they don't show up at the dealers looking like poo poo as Tesla customers are complaining about.

Unless that's the real reason they've started building their own.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

stevewm posted:

My Prius is the opposite to this. The first looong portion of pedal travel is "easy does it, wouldn't want to hurt the planet", and the last 20% is "oh, you're in a hurry, ok I'll scoot".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three Olives posted:

It would have taken you five seconds in Google to find out that no, other luxury car makers do indeed transport trucks on open carriers. And they also at times don't use car protectors.

And also that there's trucks with Teslas that have car condoms.

https://headtopics.com/us/tesla-owners-bailing-musk-out-of-delivery-logistics-hell-1514631

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought the problem was too few Teslas, not too many.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

pun pundit posted:

I thought the problem was too few Teslas, not too many.

So what you are saying is that Tesla "snake" chargers are the breeding program?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It would have taken you five seconds in Google to find out that no, other luxury car makers do indeed transport trucks on open carriers. And they also at times don't use car protectors.

https://headtopics.com/us/tesla-owners-bailing-musk-out-of-delivery-logistics-hell-1514631

Don't feed the troll

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Finger Prince posted:

the last 20% is "oh, you're in a hurry, ok I'll scoot".

The pedal actually goes there?

Are you sure you’re driving a Prius?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The pedal actually goes there?

Are you sure you’re driving a Prius?

I know, and yet. It's relative. Relative to a decade old Prius. What you have to do is push past what would be flooring it in any other car, push past that, and keep on pushing the pedal until you awaken the beast. The tiny, harmless beast. It's like switching from turtle to rabbit on your lawnmower (there is no double rabbit).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Three Olives posted:

I'm pretty sure Audi is the only luxury auto brand that doesn't deliver their cars in enclosed trailers and even those travel in specially designed car condoms so they don't show up at the dealers looking like poo poo as Tesla customers are complaining about.

try knowing anything about anything before you post

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

But he's pretty sure :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I love this thing.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
You got the correct color, too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Qwijib0 posted:

You got the correct color, too

:hmmyes:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That is definitely a good color but I'll never understand the appeal of those particular wheels. Whatever tickles your fancy I guess.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bawfuls posted:

That is definitely a good color but I'll never understand the appeal of those particular wheels. Whatever tickles your fancy I guess.

"Don't overpay for option wheels, go stock or 3rd party" tickles mine.

e: also they are hub caps. Sort of.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

For some reason I thought those were an option but I see now they're the ugly stock ones meant for aero.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Which reminds me, has anyone done a thorough consumption test on those rims/caps?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ola posted:

Which reminds me, has anyone done a thorough consumption test on those rims/caps?
They are worth 4-5% more freeway range.

And better to get the 18s and put snow tires on those and get good looking 19s with summers than pay for 19s and have to buy 19 tires and 18s and 18 snows.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

And better to get the 18s and put snow tires on those and get good looking 19s with summers than pay for 19s and have to buy 19 tires and 18s and 18 snows.

Look at this scrub, not getting steelies in the winter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
both wheel options are ghastly

edit: dickin around with the Tesla configurator and man they sure have no shame about non-black paint pricing do they

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

both wheel options are ghastly

edit: dickin around with the Tesla configurator and man they sure have no shame about non-black paint pricing do they

Both are ugly. I think the worst is the aero wheels with the covers removed and a cap in place.

Paint has really gone up. When M3 first launched all the colors not black were $1000. Now the cheapest is $1500 and multicoat red is $2500. Metallic silver and obsidian black are gone now too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ilkhan posted:

Not bad.

I’d put up with a lot more ugly than that for −4% consumption.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

ilkhan posted:

Or get staggered 20s :getin:

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Installed the ecohitch on my Model 3 a few weeks back. Really like it so far, it's allowed me to mount bikes to the back of the car super easily with the 1up rack. Don't plan to tow anything with it as I don't think the car is rated for it, but it's a pretty solid solution for mounting stuff. It was a pretty simple process to install the hitch, took about 2-3 hours to do it all. I decided to go with the SeaSucker ski roof rack for winter stuff as I didn't really want to leave the small hole the hitch made on the underside of the bumper open during winter driving.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I tripped and fell into a large city where I can do something I can’t do in my podunk rear end home town.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had to go on a business trip for a few days for training and uggggghhhhhh I miss my car.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've noticed lately I have been starting to see more and more EVs around my area (south-east Indiana near Cincinnati, OH) 2 years ago a Tesla or any EV for that matter was a very rare sight indeed. But now I regularly see a few S around town, a few gen 1 Leafs, some Model 3s and even one Bolt.

After seeing a few in person... If I was getting a 3, midnight grey would definitely be my prefered color. :D

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stevewm posted:

After seeing a few in person... If I was getting a 3, midnight grey would definitely be my prefered color. :D

This is verifiably correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Best Tesla color combo so far, IMO: Titanium metallic with beige interior and black headliner. Yes I like chinos, why do you ask?