Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just curious, which mission is this? Is this the one leading to 6-4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kazy posted:

yes

PurpleXVI posted:

I have lost track of this story entirely but I look forward to airships shooting at dragons.

Basically this:

Promathia is going to revive at some point in time(now) and that would be bad for anyone who isn't a demigod. This is going to be done through Prishe and the song. Before he wakes up Bahamut needs to get his(her) rear end but after that the keeper will just go back into the lifestream and another keeper will eventually be born and then we do this all again. The solution to this is to have Bahamut glass the planet so no one makes a new keeper. This is not good and Esha'ntarl is going to throw everything she has at the wyrm to stop it, it will not work and she knows it.

Prishe would like to sacrifice herself to stop this however the problem of the lifestream remains so she needs the song to form Promathia which is ever so slightly dangerous. Also a dead Prishe would make Ulmia and Esha'ntarl very sad. Also Visaria is still nursing a Lion shaped hole in her heart and would like to avoid a Prishe shaped one as well. The magicite she is waving around is probably most of the keeper juice which is why there was theorizing everything might actually be okay maybe and we should ask Bahamut(his answer would be megaflare).

The rest of the gang would prefer if Prishe didn't die but they also would very much like to stop world wide death by megaflare.

Selh'teus is doing something with the crystals and Visaria and who knows how this plays into the above situations. Visaria has no Emptiness and is technically Zilart now. She hates this. Selh'teus is currently on his way to crystal 5 which is currently sunk.

Nag'molada meanwhile desperately wants to destroy Selh'teus because he is petty and wants to get to Al'Taieu so he can take a ride in the Chamber of Eventide to become Zilart because he is petty.

So anyway we are going to go get the final piece of the song because this is the worst idea ever but we need a gun to throw on the table to at least slow down the apocalypse. Besides Ulmia would have to sing it and she won't.

Also part of the problem could have been fixed if Selh'teus or Yve'noile had left a sticky note explaining anything that happened.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 31, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ever get the sense that Esha'ntarl is the protagonist of an entirely different game happening concurrently with this one?

Also yeah her pact with Bahamut was that she would find and destroy the Keeper whenever they came around and if she hosed it, Bahamut would use his nuclear option to destroy all of the mortals to make sure he gets 'em. It's using an airstrike to kill a spider, but it will work. She has summarily hosed it, not really through any fault of her own, mind, but she ain't gonna let Bahamut just raze the world without going down fighting.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 31, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fat and Useless posted:

Kazy posted:

yes

:getin:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ever get the sense that Esha'ntarl is the protagonist of an entirely different game happening concurrently with this one?

Also yeah her pact with Bahamut was that she would find and destroy the Keeper whenever they came around and if she hosed it, Bahamut would use his nuclear option to destroy all of the mortals to make sure he gets 'em. It's using an airstrike to kill a spider, but it will work. She has summarily hosed it, not really through any fault of her own, mind, but she ain't gonna let Bahamut just raze the world without going down fighting.

More proof Esha'ntarl is the best. :colbert:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Esha'ntarl appears to be a responsible and competent individual, something Nag'molada has left me completely unprepared for.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 70. The Final Verse

This is a terrible stupid idea. I complain the whole way to Selbina. But it's this or go get blown up. I don't have to be happy about it!

Recollection

No!

Emeline feels like a familiar name but I'm sure I've never met this woman before.

Furthermore it isn't her name anyway...

Whatever that isn't important right now. We are here for the song.

He whips out the mirror.

Her memories... Beastmen and a dark crystal.

:siren:Fifth Ode: A Time for Prayer:siren:

You could probably use that mirror for some very good things. Knowing him though... It's dangerous...

Honestly it is a bit cruel to make her the decider if we have to push the button, but it is probably the correct choice among all of us.

Right after I go check on the girl and make sure you didn't cause any terrible trauma.

No. Surely not.

This has nothing to do with me. I have a wyrm to stop.

Anyway she seems fine...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometime later...

<To be continued in A Crystalline Prophesy>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah sure. I'm too exhausted to be snide.

I need coffee.

Please don't make me fight Bahamut.

Did you just call them Ms. Sin... Screw it. I have like 24 hours left to live I just want to sleep, nightmares be damned.

Ugh.

My coffin. My big flying coffin.

She pulled a Prishe didn't she?

She. Never. Stops.

Adorable. Fine I'll go find her like she wants.

Congrats, you just got promoted to Ulmia watcher while I deal with the hornet nest.

Can they NOT be secret weapons?

Yeah I'm gonna be real I can fight Diabolos and Carby but Bahamut is out of my league. Like for real.

Anxiety spiking...

Oh man we are actually doing this...

Next time: Some kinda final and/or ultimate weapon

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

also

quote:

A Crystalline Prophesy

God, I hope not. I think this is the single worst piece of story content in the game.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

A couple notes.

"A Crystalline Prophesy" is one of the mini expansions off FF11. Side stories too big to be a questline but too small to be a whole expansion. Anyway this one deals with the intro video of FF11.

https://youtu.be/-CUepYCA4c8

What is going on? Why did we need a sequel to the intro cinematic detached from the rest of the game? Is it just a rehash of Chains? We will find out in several years when I get done with everything else.

Note 2!

We now have all of Memoria de la Ŝtona!

Nocturne of the Gods
Distant Promises
Memoria de la S^tona
Clouded Dawn
A Time for Prayer

It all began with a stone, or so the legend says.
In ages past, a sentient jewel filled the world with life and brought forth mighty gods.
Bathed in that light, the world entered an age of bliss until, after a time, the gods fell into slumber.
That world was called Vana'diel.
Our world, Vana'diel...

However, this age will not last. The great bane will devour the fair land of Vana'diel
The ancient seal will be broken, awakening nightmares of ages past.
A tragic age of darkness will reign.
And yet, the gods will not wake from their slumber...
That world was called Vana'diel.

Innocent blood spills forth onto the plains of Vana'diel.
The world shudders as she is thrust into chaos and despair.
Neither power nor destiny can bring an end to what has already begun.
However, thorough the storm of the night, a star of glory shines bright.
Through the howling of the beasts, the song rings clear.
Shining star, echoing song,
You are our dreams and prayers.

That star is you, and the song is yours.
And someday, that hope will become our dreams...our prayers...
Shine forth, star of hope! Let your song ring out across all of Vana'diel!
And what was split asunder will once more become whole. Complete and inseparable for all eternity.

And so the legend ends...
...began......crystal...

Hmm that last bit isn't quite finished.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 3, 2023

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Ah yes, the Lay of the Immortals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eakiT6WhGo

(okay this is just an unrelated bonus track that I've been meaning to post but forgot the name of until now)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Can they NOT be secret weapons?

No, give me all the secret weapons :colbert:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I just realized I only have 5 more updates recorded. Welp better fix that soon...

Bregor posted:

No, give me all the secret weapons :colbert:

You can't give them back once you have em.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 71. One To Be Feared

Turmoil

I'm just gonna enjoy this flight. Maybe this will be fine. Maybe I just need to relax and let things happen. Don't worry about stuff out of your control.

The clouds are nice today.

Let me off the airship.

Visaria at this point started climbing over the edge of the ship cursing Cid. Once she got a foot over the rail she remembered she doesn't do heights.

I'm gonna skin Gilgamesh alive if I make it back.

I think that was aimed at us.

Better in there(probably) than out here in the way.

I'm muscle my dear. I convince with the power of stabbing.

Several of our party hop off the ship to make contact.

Ah like back in our first Bahamut encounter. I got this.

Convincing.

Anyway she isn't here. Next ship. I think I'm kinda hamstringing the wyrm fighting efforts by cleaving through these mammets though.

Excuse me... What is that?

Please don't joke around while I'm forced to fight it.

I have to get closer to beat the poo poo out of it.

Omega counters your attacks and loves using status effects like paralysis and petrify. Its melee hits stun. It can apply an additional counter attack shield and also it can reduce your HP to 5%(this also resets hate). So yeah mix all that together and you have a real problem if doing this at the correct level.

No hunting wyrms for you today Omega... On to the next ship!

Oh hey.

Look at her go. Breaking things.

Hrmm...

She's fine.

See?

Hrmm...

There was never a plan. Cool.

I should go help her...

So this one is Ultima. Just throwin' all sort of weird weapons at me today aren't they?

Ultima slows and blocks haste. Nightmare. It has a shield that reduces damage done to it if not dispelled. Like Omega it loves using AoE status effect TP attacks like poison, elemental resist down, paralyze, stun, and silence. When it gets low on health it spams its TP attacks which can hit like a truck.

Ultimately I win. Finally. Puns in the face of the apocalypse.

Funny jokes right Prishe?

Alright my work is done here. Call me when the wyrms start blowing things up.

But consider. He is petty.

Prishe.

Prishe...

I'm standing waaaaaaaay over here. Y'all might not want to be near an edge.

Second Ode: Distant Promises

And this is how the end starts. Maybe it had already started and this is the end of the end.

The only thing I can do is trust that Prishe can do absolutely anything at all to save our asses.

Next time: Visaria causes a Megaflare

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 4, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

CoP{Mission}6-4{Airship}{Do you need it?}{Can I have it?}{/tell}

This was THE roadblock for players doing CoP content back in the day. One to be Feared, or simply "Airship", was a level 60-cap fight with three stages, a 45-minute timer, and mandatory cutscenes in between while the timer kept running. As you can see, keeping up with damage while mitigating all those nasty TP moves and statuses from Omega and Ultima was no easy task. But like the bosses in Promyvion and the Snoll Tzar you could farm items that would make it much easier, in this case they would lock Omega and Ultima's TP moves for 60 seconds. They have the "rare" designation, so you can only carry one. If you were serious about winning you'd have at least three or four of your party members with one. But they still didn't guarantee a win. If you timed it wrong and left either robot below 20% health for too long they would start spamming their worst moves and it's game over. I remember when my static finally cleared this mission and it felt amazing.

Fat and Useless posted:

You can't give them back once you have em.

Secret weapon as in Ultima Weapon... this is a Final Fantasy game after all! :v:

I forgot those three tarutaru jabronis were the "secret weapons"

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Oh man, this fight. Brings back memories. We'd go to a friend's house and static party in person all the way through CoP. I remember a lot of getting through those fights was RNG either being favorable and you didn't get hit with the worst attacks too often or your party could just wipe almost immediately.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

This fight took my static 14 tries over weeks to clear. We did not have a full complement of 6 members so we picked up one or two in /shout. One of these temporary members went afk in the middle of the fight without saying anything. If it was an emergency, I don't recall them ever saying so.

I think on our win we ended up scraping by with less than a minute left on the clock.

This was probably the toughest fight in all of CoP due to reasons already stated. You had to either spend a bunch of gil on the CCB Polymer Pumps (did the other person mention these were one time use?), or do the short quest for them by farming diremites in Pso'Xja. Which was still level capped. Hope your party has someone with THF leveled!

Also if I recall, the CCB polymers didn't last nearly as long until a few updates later.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love that Esha'ntarl finally tries to talk nicely to Nag'molada and he's still an rear end in a top hat.

I kind of love these two dorks though I thought I'd be hating them both like nothing else, they're great characters.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I did 6-4 with some IRL friends and members of my linkshell. I was on Paladin, which back in the day people used to insist was impossible to do 6-4, you absolutely needed a ninja tank for it.

I ended up having to buy 3 different shields that had enchantment: Phalanx on them to just rotate and use through the whole fight, cause the stun / other effects were so bad you'd barely ever shield block anyway.

We got to the point where we'd like, get ultima to almost finished but couldn't quite coordinate our 2 hours well enough. I was like 19 years old at the time so it was like 'ok, we can win this but gotta wait for our 2 hours to recharge, we're going to the bar for a drink and we'll be back here in 2 hours'.

Got it eventually!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Capital Letdown posted:

I did 6-4 with some IRL friends and members of my linkshell. I was on Paladin, which back in the day people used to insist was impossible to do 6-4, you absolutely needed a ninja tank for it.

I ended up having to buy 3 different shields that had enchantment: Phalanx on them to just rotate and use through the whole fight, cause the stun / other effects were so bad you'd barely ever shield block anyway.

We got to the point where we'd like, get ultima to almost finished but couldn't quite coordinate our 2 hours well enough. I was like 19 years old at the time so it was like 'ok, we can win this but gotta wait for our 2 hours to recharge, we're going to the bar for a drink and we'll be back here in 2 hours'.

Got it eventually!

Omega strips Ninja shadows with one of it's TP attacks as a gently caress you. Ultima can take off two shadows at a time. Ninja can be just as hosed as Paladin! Also they both use a mix of physical and magical damage so enjoy that. The petrify is specifically behind Omega I think so position is important for your healer and dps, Ultima has a bunch of cone shaped attacks.

PurpleXVI posted:

I love that Esha'ntarl finally tries to talk nicely to Nag'molada and he's still an rear end in a top hat.

I kind of love these two dorks though I thought I'd be hating them both like nothing else, they're great characters.

There is a good reason he can't take a ride in the chamber and even if he knew it he still would try. Also this is still all Eald'narche's, Kam'lanaut's, and Yve'noile's(leave a drat note on the fridge) fault and to a very minor degree Visaria's but she is fixing it.

Anyway our next boss fight which is exactly where I left off in recording is a lot of fun. A different flavor of hell from Omega/Ultima.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Anyway our next boss fight which is exactly where I left off in recording is a lot of fun. A different flavor of hell from Omega/Ultima.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I don’t remember how my CoP static handled this fight exactly but I remember jubilant victory and chugging a gently caress of a lot of hi-potions and elixirs because the next expansion was already out by that point and was farting out hundreds of the suckers in its battle content

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't actually relate. I oneshot this fight. And the next one. I did get to suffer with a friend who took a ton of tries and brought me along for most of them, though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yeah it’s funny, I still helped a bunch of people in my linkshell after clearing it. If we failed, it was just like oh well, gonna warp to [REDACTED] see y’all later

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 72. Keeper Of The Apocalypse

Turmoil

I take back what I said about being near the edge. Jumping might be safer.

Seeya later rear end in a top hat... Okay so wyrm. What do we do about wyrm?

Onslaught

I wish she wouldn't do this right next to me.

I mean. No. But like...

I'm going home.

Dusk and Dawn

Thanks Eald'narche. Lion shut it off fast enough for us to last this long but we are already past the tipping point just from those few seconds it took her to dash into the focus.

Please can we not belittle the death machine?

This is actually going better than I thought it would.

Prishe whips around to look at me...

... I mean I guess we probably could. Hypothetically how would we kick this rear we know nothing about? Like I...

I think I understand how Prishe works. Fine.

Bahamut looks upset.

At first I think oh he is just upset Prishe is an unstoppable force. No. He is looking at me.

He isn't upset. He is mad.

Hmm...

I don't think it matters Prishe.

It's an airship Esha'ntarl. I've already thought about it.

Anyway I've made it pretty clear I don't enjoy when people give their lives for stuff. Specifically I dislike even more when people sacrifice themselves for me or because of me.

How many thousands of lives are in that blade? What happens to them now?

I did something awful to Iroha.

Next time: A Visaria shaped crater

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Quick, cast Reflect

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Get his rear end, Esha’ntarl

CoP story is getting good y’all :doit:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I love how Bahamut's cool actually slips there for a moment thanks to Prishe and Visaria.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 73. In The Light Of The Crystal

A New Horizon

Well. That hurt.

Where am I? Misareaux? This feels familiar.

A ring that recalls to Jeuno. Handy. They don't need this. Nor do I since I have zoops... But they don't need this.

Anyway off to the safehold.

Are you idiots okay?

They are fine. Right... Off to the safehold.

How did you get here this quickly? I fell from an airship!

Small victories...

Yeah... I figured it out...

Thanks.

A very rare Prishe.

That's more normal.

I knowingly threw fuel on this fire.

He's absolutely dying inside. I'm not going to say this to Ulmia, I'm going to reassure her and lie my rear end off.

But no... You don't need the whisper of the soul to know what Tenzen is feeling.

Yeah I get it. I'll go check on him.

... I'm gonna kill Prishe...

All I can do is offer Jabbos a smile.

Physically I'm fine at least...

That isn't happening.

They head off and more footsteps approach.

You aren't gonna make me feel better either are you?

They aren't wrong, I'm a walking target I think.

Tenzen only shared with me what it took to put Phoenix in that blade. I'm the only one around that knows what he's feeling. I'm also the cause of it... The megaflare would have been a mercy.

I know a certain gate I could check.

Next time: A certain gate and also Jeuno

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jabbos is wiser than I expected.

Also good to see nothing ever dampens Prishe's desire to solve things with her knuckles. Good girl.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 74. Final Fantasy

Just kidding it isn't Ulmia's door it's the other similar looking door!

A ninja lady poofs in a could of smoke as I walk into the cape. I'm not gonna question it.

A New Horizon

So.

This is dire... I take a moment to myself before heading back. Not telling me what is going on doesn't work on me anymore. A blessing and a curse.

I didn't want to get on another airship anyway... Well... Zoops or the ring I guess!

Nifty.

I swear.

She's gonna try it AGAIN? Fine I guess. It keeps Bahamut busy while I figure what I'm doing.

Anyway I hear shouting. I'll get to Esha'ntarl in a bit.

How can I help?

I have a very important meeting to get to.

Kid... Just go home...

Prishe where are you? Probably at the meeting I'm supose to be at...

This isn't going to work and the world does not need more than one of you.

Next time: A meeting and moblins

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Did she just... reverse-pickpocket herself into your inventory?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Did she just... reverse-pickpocket herself into your inventory?

She reverse-pickpocketed herself into my spell list which takes extra effort.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I would just like to state again for the record that Tenzen is the best samurai boy :3:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Tenzen is going through some poo poo and will continue to go through some poo poo for the next decade depending on the timeline.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 75. Gobsmacked

And I will never speak of that again.

If I open the Atarefaunet box I can't close it but I can't help but wonder how deep it goes.

I've got nothing.

Understood it was Nag'molada. Sounds like he followed through with Prishe's suggestion.

Jabbos is a good egg.

I would also like to voice concern over that.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Wait I need another new flower...

Things are not fine.

As if I needed another reason to stab Nag'molada.

They are like 19 years old Ulmia... That one tried to... Nevermind.

If I were in Jabbos' shoes I'd be cursing Nag'molada while digging to the crystal myself. It's a miracle he's controlling himself.

Don't worry buddy, we'll take turns kicking him in the stomach when we find him.

Ah. Now he's digging... Look at him go.

So... We fly to it?

This makes no sense Prishe!

Don't look at me, this is all her.

We are putting a lot of faith in flying into a mysterious light... But I guess it is that or dig...

What am I even saying? What choice do I even have...

Selh'teus can fix this if I go right?

Well I get a much needed break at least.

Who am I kidding? I'm going to do some work on the side. Adventurer things. Thief things.

After getting my stuff in order I check on Cid before I leave. I gotta find out if he needs anything while I'm out. I'm considerate you see.

Yeah. Sure. Later. I gotta go snoop.

Next time: Learning things that get you shot

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

"oh let's just net the literal deity."

Genius plans.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Jabbos almost turning into Shadowlord 2 there.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

"Now that you mention it, I just received a report that a strange red light began shooting up from the north sea."

Ah yes, the MCU-style portal has arrived.

But honestly, flying an airship into a weird light thereby getting the crew to a paradise buried beneath the sea so she can suplex a motherfucker is the most Prishe plan ever.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Thief

Role: Damage and Drops

You stab things very hard from behind and increase drop rate, like noticeably increase drop rate. For real.

Main Weapons: Dagger

How do you stab things without a knife?

Magic:

No

Notable Abilities:

Flee: Run faster every few minutes! Number 1 choice for newbies running to Jeuno.

Perfect Dodge: Your first one-hour. Dodge all MELEE attacks for 30 seconds.

Steal: maybe sometimes steal an item from an enemy. A later Trait causes it to dispel if no item is stolen.

Mug: Steal a little Gil from beastmen.

Hide: Erase enmity of a creature that attacks by sight. Scent messes with this and the duration is random.

Sneak Attack: Every minute as long as you are behind the target you deal a 100% accuracy crit with bonus damage based on your DEX. This applies to the first hit in weaponskills but all the hits have the accuracy part.

Trick Attack: Every minute when behind a party member your next attack's enmity will transfer to the person you are behind instead. If Thief is the main Job you also get a damage boost based on your AGI. All hits of the attack string are transfered but the damage bonus is only the first hit. Combining this and Sneak Attack make Thief's signature world famous SATA, a great way to give a party member enmity.

Accomplice/Collaborator: Steals half of a party member's enmity and transfers it to you, not usable as a Sub Job Thief sadly.

Assassin's Charge: Triples next attack(sometimes quadruple). You can stack this with SATA, Thief loves having nothing but 5 minute cooldowns.

Despoil: Steal and inflict a 90 second random stat debuff.

Bully: Sneak Attack works from any direction and for 30 seconds get a killer effect for you and your party based on the enemy type.

Conspirator: For 1 minute boost accuracy and lower the TP given to enemies when hitting them for party members that aren't targeted by an enemy.

Larceny: Your second one-hour, steal a buff from an enemy. That's it.

Notable Abilities/Traits As A Sub Job:

Treasure Hunter: Behold! A drop rate increase in a video game that actually works! As a Sub Job this caps at 4 stacks, as a Main Job the cap is 15 with Job Points invested. Let's say an item has a drop rate of 24%, 4 TH brings it up to 64% 15 TH is 80%. Rare 1% drop? 4 TH = 2.5%, 15 TH = 10%! Stupid rare .10% drop? 4 TH = .40%, 15 TH = 1.50%. This is absurdly good when you are in high level stuff that drops mats that sell for 100k Gil each(or use those mats for relics I guess). Anything that causes enmity adds stacks(aoe works!). It is harder to apply a stack if your +bonus from traits and gear is lower than the current stack level on the target. Some Thief abilities have a better chance of adding a stack.

Evasion Bonus: Better than nothing.

Thief doesn't get Dual Wield until 83 so if you use it as a Sub Job you are single wielding unless the Main Job has Dual Wield. You also won't get the critical and rear attack bonuses Thief gains as a Main Job.

Cool Weapon Skills:

Energy Steal/Drain: Steals MP.

Aeolian Edge: AoE wind damage.

Mercy Stroke: Slightly increases your crit rate for a time. STR based.

Rudra's Storm: Hits like a truck full of trucks and pretty easy to get. DEX based.

Mandalic Stab: Not quite as good as Rudra but hits different skill chains. DEX based.

Exenterator: Lowers enemy accuracy and hits 4 times. AGI based.

Evisceration: Hits 5 times and has a higher crit rate with more TP spent. DEX based.

Not terrible skillchain coverage but Rudra is your do the big funny number button and playing around that can be a challenge.

Summary:

If you need drops, call the Thief. If you need burst damage, call the Thief. If you need burst enmity in both directions, call the Thief. The most core not core Job in the game. Sure you can make a party without Thief and probably find more damage in a different Job(maybe, Thief really hits like a truck) but it is never a bad idea to bring one unless the fight really hates physical damage.

Thief Friend Varisele Input: They make one of the best AoE solo classes with late game gear and have threat issues with most Sub Jobs.

Man I need to take a real break one of these days... A sunny tropical island or something. That would be good.

Anyway something has been eating away at me for a while and I want to look into it before I die. Also this seems like a dangerous posting to just have hanging on the board.

Anxiety

Right next to a zoop even.

I get it.

So my Louverance may get dragged into the real Louverance's troubles, which is probably what he wants let's be honest. Anyway hopefully this helps me understand him a bit more.

I'm not looking around the whole town for one lady, I'll just ask the mayor.

Beans.

The mayor is useless.

I'm going to end up going to the cave again, aren't I?

Cool. Thanks.

Go on.

Yep the real one is in danger most likely.

Heh heh... Yeah...

I see.

Mine is absolutely at fault for all this.

I'll take care of this for them.

Nostalgia. That is what I felt. Not anger, annoyance, or fear. A memory of mine long gone. Maybe a memory I never had to begin with.

Worst thing that can happen is I get all three of us and maybe the real Louverance assassinated.

I buy a multipack of barge tickets for 300 Gil. I may need multiple rides eventually.

Nothing but me and my thoughts for 8 hours...

There is more to Atarefaunet than the stories. I think he wouldn't tell me if I asked him.

Back when I went treasure hunting with Nanaa Mihgo, when we found his treasure, I can't remember it much. It should have been a pretty important memory for me. Goblins, Nanna, a scepter or something... Thieves. There were other thieves. There was a job before we found the treasure I think.

What was his name... Vauderame? No. That was the man with Rochefogne...

It isn't important. Just part of that nostalgia feeling.

I sometimes get a wild urge to chase it which is dumb. I have enough falling apart in the present and future to worry about whimsy.

I completed the set in one of those bouts. The boots from the chest; I hunted down the rest of the set. You'd never catch me wearing it though.

How long has it been? 4 minutes. Great.

*Several Hours Later*

It won't talk to me...

I mean tonberries usually don't talk. Hrm. I didn't think this through.

Wonderful. Good for them. How do you talk to them?

Please just want Gil...

*One Trip To Attohwa Later*

Just have them write it down, dammit so simple.

I snatch the blackboard and chalk and rush to the barge before it sets off.

Currents of Time

Well. It's a lead.

Royal treasury gold... Tavnazia doesn't have any for me to borrow... San d'Oria isn't going to let me borrow any... Where can I find some royal gold?

Sorry Rochefogne, I gotta kill your dad's guards again and loot their pockets. He'd understand.

See? I know if I ever have to flee thousands of beastmen taking over my city I'm filling my pockets first.

Davoi is an odd meeting place though.

A slime attacks me as I wait. Normal stuff.

A dumb nobody.

Assassins are pretty cool as long as you pay them.

Oh? Forget Louverance, this is what I'm here for.

I'm starting to piece it together.

He heads off with his gold.

So let's put it all together...

Houses Mistalle and Remevel had an illegal duel and their nobility was stripped. Teulomme gained Mistalle's land afterwards. Atarefaunet was eventually captured and and then poisoned by Teulomme because he has all sorts of secrets on him and Goddess knows who else but jokes on Teulomme, Atarefaunet loves poison and escapes. Oh and while that whole captured thing was going on Tavnazia blew up. So now we have Louverance up in the north trying to restore his family's honor while Atarefaunet is down south pretending to be Louverance. Throw in a couple assassins and several splashes of revenge.

Atarefaunet is hunting down the real Louverance that much is clear and he seems to be aiming for Teulomme with the same bullet.

So what do I tell Sobane to not get her killed? Okay. Technically Louverance is not threatening Teulomme and Teulomme wants to keep his land. Yes. I'll just end it with that.

Happily Ever After

Oh really...

(He's a dead man walking...)

I probably shouldn't let Atarefaunet kill the stupid kid. But it really isn't in my hands.

Time to actually rest for a few hours.

Hmm... Nostalgia...

I think I look good in it. Seems familiar though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I think I look good in it. Seems familiar though.

You look good in it. Male Hume looks like a total dipshit in it.

THF was one of my favorite jobs to play, both at 75 and 119. I did a lot of solo/low man content and spike damage plus controlling enmity can be very useful. After I got the Pie Server Twashtar, then I could do pretty much any content and not be laughed out of the room.

The clarity on how Treasure Hunter works, plus the notifications in the log, were so refreshing. It's hard to believe they weren't there during the original release, and harder still to believe that S-E took the time to add it in!

Also quoting myself from way back when:

Bregor posted:

I had a good friend who was so disappointed in the Steal/lockpicking rewards that he quit the game, came back, and quit again. There just ain't no money in thievin' these days.

It sucks, because any way you could use THF to actually make money with those abilities could just be RMT'd to death, so they either get devalued or cause massive inflation. So yeah, THFs are just as poor as everyone else.