Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Addamere posted:

yeah, im a dumbass who did quick math and punched in 5% not 0.05% lol

it's still 3.5 million tho

the human species has been much closer to extinction than that number, but several order of magnitude

i think at one point it's estimated we were down to 2,000 to 5,000 individuals?

And if its 99.9999995%? What about 99.999999999999999999999999995%?

The P-T extinction event killed off 90-96% of all species on the planet. Would you say that it doesn't count as an 'extinction'?

My point is - I take issue with Squallid's (who might've been trolling, idk) conception that "extinction" is impossible in the next century because "extinction" = 100% of everything is dead - and that's a totally disingenuous framing.

We can all move on though, because the best response to all this is :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

lollin at the succ thread freaking out at the planet politely informing them better things aren't possible

lol at people invading the succzone to be like "why aren't you just dying quietly, i will not accept any of this "trying to survive" business"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
there are a lot of humans, but we're not even close to the largest animal population on the planet and much bigger ones than us have died off before. the key difference is that most of those die offs weren't caused by the ones doing the dying

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yinlock posted:

lol at people invading the succzone to be like "why aren't you just dying quietly, i will not accept any of this "trying to survive" business"

why would i want anyone to die quietly

let the sounds of their anguish carry on the wind

Pretty Little Angel
Jun 26, 2006
So, anyone have bucket lists? I'm thinking of things to do before my medicine runs out.

I'm a poor so I've only go one thing so far:

1. gently caress

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Pretty Little Angel posted:

So, anyone have bucket lists? I'm thinking of things to do before my medicine runs out.

1. gently caress

2. Two Chicks at the Same Time©

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pretty Little Angel posted:

1. gently caress

tbh this is a pretty good one

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

why would i want anyone to die quietly

let the sounds of their anguish carry on the wind

yours is carrying far enough for everyone friend

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Squalid posted:

one of the biggest difficulties with science communication is how to get across the idea of uncertainty. The general public is not well equipped mentally to handle the pain of not knowing, and that makes it really difficult to talk about risk. "Bad things might happen" is difficult for normal people to distinguish from "Bad things WILL happen," and realistically there's a lot of thick skulls you're never going to get it past. Mayor Dave's faith in the futility of human action isn't based on a serious assessment of the probability of specific climate scenarios, it's more like a philosophical position. I'm not much for religion myself but if I have to choose a faith I prefer those that encourage productive behavior.

I already am convinced of that? i don't understand your argument.

You've got me entirely wrong. The futility of human action to fix the climate isn't because I don't think there's a way for us to fix it, or because I think the outcome of current trends is inevitable. It stems from my belief that precisely because of the uncertainty of the science that the consensus won't shift to doing anything until all ocean life is dead and there are permanent fires in the Arctic. We're doomed not because we are destined for it, but because we're choosing it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
We've gotten way too good at surviving viruses.
Me, pounding on table:

"Plague!"
"Plague!"
"Plague!"
"Plague!"
"Plague!"
"Plague!"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
gently caress, I'm still hopeful that we'll get out of it! I'm doing a 401k, going vegetarian with an eye towards vegan, consciously downsizing what little lifestyle I have, etc. I think even if there's a .1% chance to navigate our way out of this it's worth working towards. I just don't think donating to Greenpeace so they can send a sternly worded letter to Dow chemical about no longer making plastic is going to so it.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Mayor Dave posted:

We're doomed not because we are destined for it, but because we're choosing it.

Yeah that's one aspect that really stings for me. The T-Admin dismantling regulations with full understanding that they actually don't do anything except hamper short term gains, so we may as well party hard for just little while longer, really clinched it for me.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mayor Dave posted:

gently caress, I'm still hopeful that we'll get out of it! I'm doing a 401k, going vegetarian with an eye towards vegan, consciously downsizing what little lifestyle I have, etc. I think even if there's a .1% chance to navigate our way out of this it's worth working towards. I just don't think donating to Greenpeace so they can send a sternly worded letter to Dow chemical about no longer making plastic is going to so it.

Donate to the Extinction Rebellion & Sunrise kids. They're the future of climate activism and will be / are the ones leading whatever fight we are going to give.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

ace of flames is gonna end up being the mohawked raider and commiting so many horrific crimes

Hahahahaha

I'm 168 cm tall and 66kg. That's not happening.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Hahahahaha

I'm 168 cm tall and 66kg. That's not happening.

some of the warboys in fury road looked to be about that size, you'll be fine

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If only the criminal mastermind, donald trump, had left behind some trace of evidence we could use!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I posted in the wrong thread.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

nobody would've noticed if you didn't say anything

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

How are u posted:

Donate to the Extinction Rebellion & Sunrise kids. They're the future of climate activism and will be / are the ones leading whatever fight we are going to give.

Yeah I do a recurring monthly to the sunrise movement, I like what they're doing and I just hope that maybe they get somewhere without selling out

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
being able to survive in a calorie-scarce environment is going to be extremely heavily selected for in the future, so that's a plus

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It's worth saying I don't want people to die, but earth and the Hypercane do and I can't fight them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shima Honnou posted:

It's worth saying I don't want people to die, but earth and the Hypercane do and I can't fight them.

Here:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gently caress you

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Coming 2022: the sunrise movement race for climate change!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

is it possible for hate to manifest physically? i can feel it right under my solar plexus, like a late term xenomorph

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've changed my mind and am now unironically on the side of the Hypercane and climate death.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

You've got me entirely wrong. The futility of human action to fix the climate isn't because I don't think there's a way for us to fix it, or because I think the outcome of current trends is inevitable. It stems from my belief that precisely because of the uncertainty of the science that the consensus won't shift to doing anything until all ocean life is dead and there are permanent fires in the Arctic. We're doomed not because we are destined for it, but because we're choosing it.

that's fair. certainly, our leaders haven't done anything to earn our confidence. also Greenpeace sucks and is antinuclear so definitely don't give them money

tiberion02 posted:

My point is - I take issue with Squallid's (who might've been trolling, idk) conception that "extinction" is impossible in the next century because "extinction" = 100% of everything is dead - and that's a totally disingenuous framing.

If you look closely you'll notice I haven't actually said extinction is impossible in the near future, although I do think it's pretty unlikely. Instead I've argued that most fears of extinction and civilizational collapse are not based in evidence or science, but instead are coming from genre fiction and are cultural tropes rather than hard headed assessments of the future. The reality is we don't and can't know what the future will bring, and if there's potential for disaster in that uncertainty there is equally potential for hope.

if this point seems like an overly pedantic for c-spam, well it is. I'd have not brought it up if it hadn't been dragged here by others first.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Squalid posted:

hard headed assessments of the future ... if there's potential for disaster in that uncertainty there is equally potential for hope.
here's a hard headed assessment: the disaster is currently happening before all of our eyes. take your potential hope and turn it into kinetic usefulness

Squalid posted:

if this point seems like an overly pedantic for c-spam, well it is. I'd have not brought it up if it hadn't been dragged here by others first.
okay thanks bye forever i hope

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You know how I said "well none of the papers I read suggested pollinator extinction" as part of ecosystem collapse?

https://doi.org/10.5061/dryad.5ta5dn6

Might as well be if their active periods don't correspond to when flowers bloom anymore

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ikanreed posted:

You know how I said "well none of the papers I read suggested pollinator extinction" as part of ecosystem collapse?

https://doi.org/10.5061/dryad.5ta5dn6

Might as well be if their active periods don't correspond to when flowers bloom anymore

Oh cool

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Squalid posted:

The reality is we don't and can't know what the future will bring, and if there's potential for disaster in that uncertainty there is equally potential for hope.

This is utter bullshit. We know with an ever-increasing degree of certainty what the future holds, so gently caress off with this hand-wringing crap.

No one's forcing you to post here, I for one would greatly prefer it if you stopped. You've offered nothing but an outdated perspective and confidently delivered ignorance.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Squalid posted:

that's fair. certainly, our leaders haven't done anything to earn our confidence. also Greenpeace sucks and is antinuclear so definitely don't give them money

greenpeace's anti-nuclear stance is incredibly stupid but the nuclear fanboys online are basically on the same level as elon musk fanboys in thinking that nuclear will magically solve everything, there's a lot of issues with construction of many nuclear plants (concrete ain't friendly, mining and refining uranium is quite energy intensive and destructive given that a lot of material needs to be processed even for "rich" veins, while reprocessing is energy intensive on its own as well, nuclear plants use several elements such as beryllium and hafnium which are already in short supply, the amount of water needed can affect local ecosystems and also limits where you can build them, etc) that make it far from the magic bullet. it has its uses but we can't switch our entire system over.

we're not inventing ourselves our of this mess with a new energy source. we need to consume less energy even if it means sacrificing some wasteful things. maybe we need to stop using so much loving plastic, stop flying so much for things which teleconferencing can easily achieve if people get over themselves), stop living in wasteful suburban houses even if your car is ~electric~. but then the problem is we get people like gorka saying THEY'RE GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR HAMBURGERS and we just vote ourselves in idiots who ignore these issues.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

shipon did you ever bother to read up on CO2e/kWh? just curious

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

You live on a planet controlled by a death cult and the idea that you can change that by putting solar panels on your roof or never buying a plane ticket or stopping eating meat is liberal bullshit. All you're doing is making yourself feel better.

If you're thinking about what you can do about climate change "as a consumer" you may as well just take some antidepressants, never have kids, try not to think about the impending doom, and enjoy the apex of industrial civilization before the whole thing crashes down.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

A Russian troll farm posted:

If you're thinking about what you can do about climate change "as a consumer" you may as well just take some antidepressants, never have kids, try not to think about the impending doom, and enjoy the apex of industrial civilization before the whole thing crashes down.

If you don't have kids, you can enjoy your kids' share of the resources! It's win/win

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Lookin extremely forward to some stratospheric sulfate aerosol injection sunsets comin up in 2024

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Farrier Theaks posted:

If you don't have kids, you can enjoy your kids' share of the resources! It's win/win

quote:

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Chairman Morgan isn't wrong

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Farrier Theaks posted:

Lookin extremely forward to some stratospheric sulfate aerosol injection sunsets comin up in 2024

2026; will be put on hold until after US congressional elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farrier Theaks posted:

CEO Morgan isn't wrong