Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s overt SH and i would walk someone for doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

guppy posted:

I am not sure I think second chances are appropriate for someone who thinks that is an acceptable thing to say at work. It's not borderline.

well why not posted:

It’s overt SH and i would walk someone for doing that.

this

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I agree, but I’m not in the position to be walking anyone out over this one.

The original encounter was last Thursday and happened between someone outside my department and our site director, my involvement comes in when I had to tell two of my guys who thought it was "hilarious" to quit repeating it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

guppy posted:

the sound of spitting,

the sound of spitting? why would that

guppy posted:

for exactly the reason you are imagining.

oh. OHHH.

:yikeseroo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My mom would throw a sandal at me from the other side of the planet for saying something like that, even outside of work.

People are so loving garbage.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

I agree, but I’m not in the position to be walking anyone out over this one.

The original encounter was last Thursday and happened between someone outside my department and our site director, my involvement comes in when I had to tell two of my guys who thought it was "hilarious" to quit repeating it.

if your orgs politics aren't conducive to this, it's fine, but if practical it's worth at least sending a note to hr

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Poor planning on your end doesn't make it urgent on my end.

Narrator: It was treated as urgent on his end

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Apparently it's some social media thing, so idiots feel they have to comment on it in places they should not, to people they should not.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Asked a company to come give us a demo of their software. During some back and forth emails I mention several times that it will be at our office, as I and several relevant colleagues will be in. Today I receive a Teams invite and when I ask I get the response 'Oh I thought it would be online'.

What part of "let me know who is coming so I can notify reception in advance" did you not understand, and do you not like money or what

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You wanted a software demo in person? Is this the '00s?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
CTFs as part of the job interview process. They can gently caress right off.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If they had told me they'd only do it online a week ago that would have been fine, just don't make me plan this on a day when relevant folks are in the office and then tell me you clearly didn't read my emails a day in advance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft please expose automapping of a mailbox as an option in the Exchange management portal, or if you cannot be bothered to do that then default it to off. Granting access to another mailbox without pushing it into Outlook shouldn't be a Powershell task.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We're rolling out a new internal productivity tool that's designed to serve knowledge about our products to various teams. I've been leading the user testing for our support organization.

Two thirds of the time (65.x%) it fails to return meaningful results on searches. It returns errors (internal server error) or fails to find results (0 results), even when you can visually see there is a document that matches the search in the on-screen list.

Today, when I brought this up, the project team immediately said there was no way they could tell leadership it didn't work. Discussion changed to "what is the definition of 'works'?"

The decision was that "if I can open the page, perform a search, and get anything, then it works." That 'anything' includes if it delivers an error or tells you it has zero results.

So it doesn't actually work in the sense of serving content to the people who need it. But it does work in the sense that it literally puts at least one word in front of the user.

The project is marked green and supposed to ship next week lolololol

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Ignore the iceberg behind the curtain

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

We're rolling out a new internal productivity tool that's designed to serve knowledge about our products to various teams. I've been leading the user testing for our support organization.

Two thirds of the time (65.x%) it fails to return meaningful results on searches. It returns errors (internal server error) or fails to find results (0 results), even when you can visually see there is a document that matches the search in the on-screen list.

Today, when I brought this up, the project team immediately said there was no way they could tell leadership it didn't work. Discussion changed to "what is the definition of 'works'?"

The decision was that "if I can open the page, perform a search, and get anything, then it works." That 'anything' includes if it delivers an error or tells you it has zero results.

So it doesn't actually work in the sense of serving content to the people who need it. But it does work in the sense that it literally puts at least one word in front of the user.

You don't work for Verizon, do you? Because :lmao:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah but the most important metric, competition of the deliverable on the relevant executive's initiative, will be met! You have delivered on the important goods, the executive will be getting a $6.5M bonus, and for your service you can look forward to getting laid off to expand that bonus to an even $6.9M. Hooray, America!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey, there are asses that need to be saved. Of course they'll do everything in their power to ensure those (theirs) asses are being saved. "what is the definition of 'works'?" fits perfectly.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Not being able to tell leadership about problems is 100% a problem of leadership.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That sounds like Google's strategy of making search worse so you spend more time on the site seeing ads.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Filthy Lucre posted:

Not being able to tell leadership about problems is 100% a problem of leadership.

That may be, but it is not (unfortunately) a problem of the leadership. That is, as long as the stock goes up, who gives a poo poo? When the stock drops, then the golden parachute activates and ... who gives a poo poo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the thing that is worse cheaper than doing it to a high standard, and will the value of the customers that walk away be lower than the cost of doing it properly? There's the decision then.

It's like all this chatbot stuff, nobody believes it's doing as good a job as a person, but it's cheaper and if all your competitors shift to bots at the same time then you've just cut your costs for zero downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the thing that is worse cheaper than doing it to a high standard, and will the value of the customers that walk away be lower than the cost of doing it properly? There's the decision then.

It's like all this chatbot stuff, nobody believes it's doing as good a job as a person, but it's cheaper and if all your competitors shift to bots at the same time then you've just cut your costs for zero downsides.

Something I'm picking up from the crisis in retail is that people will exit a market outright when pushed enough, and that the non-bougie majority fraction of Americans are suffering hard enough with housing costs right now that they will absolutely jealously guard what little money might be left over each week.

I don't think the collective race to the bottom theory works sustainably; there's a limit to how deep the depravity can go before market elements are forcibly corrected or die like pre-bailout GM.