Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
cheaper transportation into space and better electric car technologies are indisputably good things imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My friend interviewed with Google last week. He said during the interview they made sure to tell him how they don't have a dress code, but that to fit in with their "culture" he should be sure not to dress too nice. Jeans and a t-shirt or flannel, please.

"We're not your dad's stuffy 50s corporate culture!"
*gives you dress code*

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Papercut posted:

My friend interviewed with Google last week. He said during the interview they made sure to tell him how they don't have a dress code, but that to fit in with their "culture" he should be sure not to dress too nice. Jeans and a t-shirt or flannel, please.

"We're not your dad's stuffy 50s corporate culture!"
*gives you dress code*

:laugh: flannel

So their dress code is that you have to look like outdated poo poo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Germstore posted:

The Achilles' heel of any type of home batteries is the limited charge-discharge cycles. Lead acid is the most economical, but even if the difference between off cycle and on cycle power is 10 cents per kWh, across the lifetime of $1000 worth of marine batteries you'll save maybe $300.

nickel-iron is where it's at in that regard, it's just a shame they're niche-y and real expensive as a result

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Be weary of workplaces with lax dress code.

Even multi-billion dollar a quarter companies.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

cheaper transportation into space and better electric car technologies are indisputably good things imo

agreed, cancer and world hunger can wait

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Stux posted:

agreed, cancer and world hunger can wait

almost as if multiple things can be good and important at the same time

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
#CancerAndHungerCanWAIT, the new #advocacy and #awareness campaign from leading edge, socially conscious #brands. Celebrate your commitment the world's leading #causes at cancerandhungercanwait.org. All items 25% off until midnight!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eternal life and peace on earth are indisputably good things, thats why i send money to the reverent wyatt faith ministry

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

honestly would prefer money be funneled into a new mountain dew and dorito flavor than space and cancer

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

almost as if multiple things can be good and important at the same time

Musk may actually get a chance to do those things as his automobile employees are being poached, and he'll be left with little alternative but to pursue those bigger things.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i guess i just think science is good

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

science doesnt pay, most science is done by academics and funded by the dod/government.

guaranteed tesla does not do any science at all, at most they do engineering (and even then their whole model was built off of taking off-the-shelf technology not developing their own). what makes tesla special is that they have good pr and a ton of money to burn and no real concerns for failure, not that theyre some sort of science/engineering powerhouse.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 17, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Space X and similar aren't doing anything revolutionary, all they're working on is commodifying the same designs that NASA used for decades.

When I worked for Blue Origin 10+ years ago, they were working on a craft that used a microwave propulsion engine to get past the launch stage. That was complete pie-in-the-sky, but at least it was super ambitious and would have changed space exploration. The current focus on using the same old rockets and fuels and just adding the ability to re-use the components is a completely poo poo way to push science; it's main purpose is exactly what it seems which is to make LEO tourism viable for millionaires instead of just billionaires.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Papercut posted:

Space X and similar aren't doing anything revolutionary, all they're working on is commodifying the same designs that NASA used for decades.

When I worked for Blue Origin 10+ years ago, they were working on a craft that used a microwave propulsion engine to get past the launch stage. That was complete pie-in-the-sky, but at least it was super ambitious and would have changed space exploration. The current focus on using the same old rockets and fuels and just adding the ability to re-use the components is a completely poo poo way to push science; it's main purpose is exactly what it seems which is to make LEO tourism viable for millionaires instead of just billionaires.

well i love nasa but i think basically everyone agrees the space shuttle was a horrible dead end. i think space-x is basically going back to the old space shuttle concept (re-usable parts) and putting it into a competent and versatile package that can deliver satellites, cargo to space stations, and assist in human exploration beyond LEO. pie-in-the-sky research is important but so is basic science, which can be made much cheaper to do if space-x's reusable parts technology saves as much money as elon musk claims it will. i certainly don't think musk is going to take us to alpha centauri any time soon.

i think musk building a huge infrastructure for electric cars is more important than the cars themselves. if at some point new designs come out which are affordable, even replacing a small % of america's car fleet with new generations of electric cars could lead to a substantially cleaner environment.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
I can always tell in these threads who lives in some Midwestern mud shack by the way they express skepticism about modern world things I take for granted. Electric cars!? Flannel!? Hah, yeah, that'll be the day. What kind of crazy world are those yahoos living in...

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Model S competes with the 5 series. It does it pretty well and if you never have to travel more than 200 miles a day is pretty much the cheapest car to buy and run in its class. It isnīt some mega expensive car no one can afford.
Expect the model 3 to compete with the 3 series and do it well.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Electric cars are a real good smart financial purchase.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Model S competes with the 5 series. It does it pretty well and if you never have to travel more than 200 miles a day is pretty much the cheapest car to buy and run in its class. It isnīt some mega expensive car no one can afford.

That Model 3 is probably going to be really good, and am glad that at least Tesla is making physical products that people can use and enjoy, and isn't just part of the greater SV mindset of "be authentically digital".

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Mange Mite posted:

and it worked so well for them

To be fair, they're using huge lithium batteries rather than smaller ones like Tesla, and the result is it's harder to handle the thermal issues, and once one of those big batteries lights off, it's more likely to smoke the whole pack. Add to that FAA rules that make switching to a different pack more certification intensive than "fixing" what they have, and thus it's a debacle.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

nickel-iron is where it's at in that regard

This, and I imagine the cost would drop and energy density would improve if actually designed as a mass-market product (not that you care about that too much in stationary applications.) Even if upping the density cost you half the cell life, you might still be talking 25+ years, and it's easier to recycle.

It'd be funny to see Musk start that market, only to get clowned on by a centuryish old technology.

That said, assuming Tesla survives, that lifetime warranty is kind of cool in an era of planned obsolescence. It'll be interesting to see if the Model 3 has that option.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sancho posted:

Electric cars are a real good smart financial purchase.

I always got a chuckle out of people that went out and bought a new Prius back when they were commanding a $30k+ price tag because gas was getting close to $4

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

Remulak posted:

Anybody that says that new apps are just about serving the needs of the rich needs to look into Shuddle:

MeaslrBus

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

I always got a chuckle out of people that went out and bought a new Prius back when they were commanding a $30k+ price tag because gas was getting close to $4

My mother has gotten 190k miles out of her first gen prius that she bought new in 2001 and for the first 100k she spent literally nothing in repairs, and since then all it has needed was a new battery pack. She still drives it everyday. They made a good car man

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tautologicus posted:

My mother has gotten 190k miles out of her first gen prius that she bought new in 2001 and for the first 100k she spent literally nothing in repairs, and since then all it has needed was a new battery pack. She still drives it everyday. They made a good car man

Or you could have gotten a Corolla for like $15k+ cheaper at the time and still got good gas mileage. Not knocking the car, knocking the people paying the insane premiums Prius used to demand just to "save" money on gas without considering complex things such as "hey how long do I have to drive this to make back the difference?"

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

Or you could have gotten a Corolla for like $15k+ cheaper at the time and still got good gas mileage. Not knocking the car, knocking the people paying the insane premiums Prius used to demand just to "save" money on gas without considering complex things such as "hey how long do I have to drive this to make back the difference?"

My mother is a energy resource efficiency manager and bought the car because it had the lowest emissions out of any car on the road at the time I believe. Im sure there are other reasons to buy a prius over a corolloa besides cred though, for one, CVT, and two theyre super quiet around town. I could probably go on. Seems like a goony opinion to have imo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Used Prius are amazing deals. Toyota battery tech is amazing, but I have no idea how they plan to make hydrogen cars work, when the novel gimmick of using a car powered by coal is a much bigger sell and has tech fetishists defending it at every turn as Tesla as managed to do.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tautologicus posted:

My mother is a energy resource efficiency manager and bought the car because it had the lowest emissions out of any car on the road at the time I believe. Im sure there are other reasons to buy a prius over a corolloa besides cred though, for one, CVT, and two theyre super quiet around town. I could probably go on. Seems like a goony opinion to have imo.

So you ignored the part where I was referring to the people who bought it to save on gas when a Prius was commanding a $15k+ price premium over a new Corolla?

I mean they are a fine car and they are much cheaper now but paying $30k for a Prius just because your gas was hovering around $4 was stupid

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 17, 2015

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Or you could have gotten a Corolla for like $15k+ cheaper at the time and still got good gas mileage. Not knocking the car, knocking the people paying the insane premiums Prius used to demand just to "save" money on gas

Depending on where you live there are also great tax breaks and other incentives.
For example a Prius as a company lease here made a huge ammount of sense, you pay about half the income taxes (we pay income taxes on a company car) so that $30k prius costs the same in tax as a $15k Corolla and since you don't really pay the lease yourself, why wouldn't you? Company isn't going to refund the money if i don't use up the lease budget.

Other examples include lower congestion taxes (London) or being able to use the HOV lane (California, i think they changed it later).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nonsense posted:

Be weary of workplaces with lax dress code.

Even multi-billion dollar a quarter companies.

I work with a guy who wears cargo sweats and an XXL Russell Athletic t-shirt five days a week. Nobody fucks with him.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

So you ignored the part where I was referring to the people who bought it only to save on gas when a Prius was commanding a $15k+ price premium over a new Corolla?

How many people do you think really bought a prius when gas was 4+ a gallon, and only for that reason. Yes the way you present it makes it seem unreasonable, but I doubt gas prices were the only thing pushing them towards one if someoen went ahead and got one at a specific point in gas price history. There are many other selling points to the car over a Corolla.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
CARS

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Who knew a decade ago that we'd invade the Dakotas and steal their oil?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tautologicus posted:

How many people do you think really bought a prius when gas was 4+ a gallon, and only for that reason. Yes the way you present it makes it seem unreasonable, but I doubt gas prices were the only thing pushing them towards one if someoen went ahead and got one at a specific point in gas price history. There are many other selling points to the car over a Corolla.

A Prius back at the height of gasmania was commanding over $30k+ only because of gas. Dealers were able to charge above sticker because of the demand and it's really silly to assume that people were paying that much because they just had to have CVT and didn't want to buy a Nissan which already had that.

Just because there are other advantages to a Prius didn't mean these were the reasons for the extreme difference. Those differences still exist but the extreme disparity in price no longer does. People make questionable decisions when presented with cheaper energy costs. Coincidentally most of the people I'm basing by anecdotal evidence on are my tech co workers

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 17, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alright i disagree but i dont know or care enough about how hybrids sold in the 00's to say anything more.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

Used Prius are amazing deals. Toyota battery tech is amazing, but I have no idea how they plan to make hydrogen cars work, when the novel gimmick of using a car powered by coal is a much bigger sell and has tech fetishists defending it at every turn as Tesla as managed to do.

Wouldn't that still be powered by either coal or natural gas? Though I guess ng is still better than coal

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NihilismNow posted:

Model S competes with the 5 series. It does it pretty well and if you never have to travel more than 200 miles a day is pretty much the cheapest car to buy and run in its class. It isn´t some mega expensive car no one can afford.

I don't think a 5 series costs $100k or even $70k

Expect the model 3 to keep getting delayed until it debuts with like half the promised features/capacity and a much higher price than implied

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 17, 2015

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

you're an idiot you realize this right?

Because I'm not afraid of new technology or because I don't demand new things be made for poors?

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

Tautologicus posted:

This is what I'm talking about. If you live in some prairie town caked in cow poo poo then all this is a total joke. You hop in your Corolla you paid a couple nickels for at the Piggly Wiggly or HEB, and blow down the 2-lane freeway to whatever IT job you work for whatever farm equipment company and share a laugh about hipsters, clad in your Seinfeld era mom jeans. Unaware like an untouched Amazonian tribe that a few thousand miles away the future is a real thing. There are Teslas all over the road, and if its not a Tesla its a Volt or a Prius or a Leaf or a hybrid. They are a necessity in a densely populated metropolis that must carefully manage and regulate its pollution. You're already an old man, confused by changes you disagree with or don't understand. I saved $15,000 you cry!

Motherfucker, I spend that much on guac.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

I don't think a 5 series costs $100k

Local conditions may differ. Cheapest 5 series is €48k, cheapest Tesla Model S is €66k . But that €48k BMW is the 520i which is not really comparable to a Tesla, to go up to a comparable BMW you are going to pay more than €66k. The Tesla also comes with a &eur;19k tax writeoff on top of that (€~30k in 2014) and exemption from road taxes (~€1500 per year) and if you drive it as a company tax you pay 1/3rd the taxes.

These kind of tax incentives may be artificial but they are what large ammounts of buyers have to deal with. Diesel cars didn't get popular because they are so great and clean and quiet but because tax incentivization. That isn't going anywhere. Tesla may be hosed with $2 gas in the US but they will still be able to sell all they can produce in Europe.
Is anyone laughing at BMW/VW/Mercedes because they invested heavily in diesel engines that are only in high demand in certain markets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

I don't think a 5 series costs $100k or even $70k

550xiDrive is almost $70K, M5 is over $90K. Everything on a BMW is an option so expect to pay at least $10K more.

E:

quote:

Is anyone laughing at BMW/VW/Mercedes because they invested heavily in diesel engines that are only in high demand in certain markets?

Why would I laugh at the fact that my country sucks and can't get good diesel engines?

Neptr fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 17, 2015

• Locked thread